Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
He does step it up in the playoffs, no arguing that. But call it a hunch, I think Boston signs him before July 1st and takes him off the market all together. They have the cap space (20 million+) and they likely get to unload Ullmark's 5 million....

Reactions: Osakahaus

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Debrusk for me, kid does play well in the spring and has tons of experience in big big games. Prob will be outbid from someone anyway as URFA is def not the Isles bag.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Legit curious how Rosner would know this for certain, much less report it, since basically every single trade Lou has done wasn't reported on even as the faintest of rumors before it was completed.

Just being around the Isles doesn't mean you know anything about Lou's inner workings.
It does say "multiple sources" and "the hockey news". it could have come from their Winnipeg guy

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Taking a deeper dive into the roster and what some possible moves to upgrade to F group -
This 20-man roster has about 4.7 m in cap space. Below is a breakdown of what they could do IF Lou Does NOT REMOVE ANY CURRENT NHL player from the roster.

Wahlstrom will either not be qualified or traded for a similar player, Ville Heinola comes to mind - who would only cost .875K for his QO - a similar hit to Wahlstrom. Gauthier will be buried.

Holmstrom and Maclean are both RFA's with no arbitration rights, which means all LL needs to do is Qualify them, so you can pen them down for a 1 year @ .875K for Holmstrom and 1 year @ .813 K Maclean (check CapFriendly - Qualifying offer in the calculator tab).

I am looking at building a 22-man roster -NOT a 23 -to maximize the 88m cap.

Forwards
  • LW - ????, C - Horvat 8.5, RW - Barzal 9.15
  • LW - Holmstrom .875, C - Nelson 6, RW - Palmieri 5
  • LW - Lee 7, C - JGP 5, RW - Engvall 3
  • LW - Maclean .813, C - Cizikas 2.5, RW - Tsyplakov .95
  • F - Fasching .775
Defense
  • D - Romanov 2.5 and Dobson 4
  • D - Pelech 5.75 and Pulock 6.15
  • D - Bolduc .8 and Mayfield 3.5
  • D - ?????
  • G - Sorokin 8.25
  • G - Varlamov 2.75

Option #1 - TRADING 1st rounder at the DRAFT for an RFA - the Romanov deal
7 RFA players come to mind -
Shane Pinto (unlikely), Cole Perfetti (he's being dangled), Morgan Frost, Peyton Krebs (would not want to give up a 1st for him), Cole Sillinger, Kent Johnson (unlikely), and Kiril Marchenko

The contract for these 4 players would be about 2.35 to 3.25 for 2 seasons before a bigger deal, leaving enough $ to spend on a decent option on the blueline.

Option #2 - Trading 1st rounder at the Draft for established NHL player/top 6 or Top 6 potential -
  • LL trades the 1st fin 2024 for Ehlers and another 2nd to a team like SJ to park some of the cap hit
  • LL trades the 1st in 2024 for Yegor Sharangovich (3.1 AAV) or Frank Vatrano(3.6 AAV) for next season. Use the rest of the cap hit to sign a PMD man, Mike Reilly or potentially Jake Bean, who will most likely not be Qualified.
  • LL trades the 1st in 2024 for Alex Newhook
Option #3 - TRADE the 1st for Chychrun
  • LL trades the 1st in 2024 (+prospect) for Jakob Chychrun (4.6 AAV). Isles can fit the entire cap hit and then roll with a 21-man roster OR trade a pick to another team to take on 1m of the cap hit, so they could add another F - probably bargain hunt - Anthony Beauvillier, Dominik Kubalik, Alexander Barabanov, Ilya Mihkeyev -once he is bought out.
Option #4 - BARGAIN HUNT during free agency- Split the 4.7m amongst 3 UFAs
  • LL signs - Jake Bean, LHD, Arvidsson, RW or Duclair, F

MY NEXT POST will be moving a player out to improve the roster
That is a lucid, intelligent, well-thought-out post.

1718212343126.png

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
Taking a deeper dive into the roster and what some possible moves to upgrade to F group -
This 20-man roster has about 4.7 m in cap space. Below is a breakdown of what they could do IF Lou Does NOT REMOVE ANY CURRENT NHL player from the roster.

Wahlstrom will either not be qualified or traded for a similar player, Ville Heinola comes to mind - who would only cost .875K for his QO - a similar hit to Wahlstrom. Gauthier will be buried.

Holmstrom and Maclean are both RFA's with no arbitration rights, which means all LL needs to do is Qualify them, so you can pen them down for a 1 year @ .875K for Holmstrom and 1 year @ .813 K Maclean (check CapFriendly - Qualifying offer in the calculator tab).

I am looking at building a 22-man roster -NOT a 23 -to maximize the 88m cap.

Forwards
  • LW - ????, C - Horvat 8.5, RW - Barzal 9.15
  • LW - Holmstrom .875, C - Nelson 6, RW - Palmieri 5
  • LW - Lee 7, C - JGP 5, RW - Engvall 3
  • LW - Maclean .813, C - Cizikas 2.5, RW - Tsyplakov .95
  • F - Fasching .775
Defense
  • D - Romanov 2.5 and Dobson 4
  • D - Pelech 5.75 and Pulock 6.15
  • D - Bolduc .8 and Mayfield 3.5
  • D - ?????
  • G - Sorokin 8.25
  • G - Varlamov 2.75

Option #1 - TRADING 1st rounder at the DRAFT for an RFA - the Romanov deal
7 RFA players come to mind -
Shane Pinto (unlikely), Cole Perfetti (he's being dangled), Morgan Frost, Peyton Krebs (would not want to give up a 1st for him), Cole Sillinger, Kent Johnson (unlikely), and Kiril Marchenko

The contract for these 4 players would be about 2.35 to 3.25 for 2 seasons before a bigger deal, leaving enough $ to spend on a decent option on the blueline.

Option #2 - Trading 1st rounder at the Draft for established NHL player/top 6 or Top 6 potential -
  • LL trades the 1st fin 2024 for Ehlers and another 2nd to a team like SJ to park some of the cap hit
  • LL trades the 1st in 2024 for Yegor Sharangovich (3.1 AAV) or Frank Vatrano(3.6 AAV) for next season. Use the rest of the cap hit to sign a PMD man, Mike Reilly or potentially Jake Bean, who will most likely not be Qualified.
  • LL trades the 1st in 2024 for Alex Newhook
Option #3 - TRADE the 1st for Chychrun
  • LL trades the 1st in 2024 (+prospect) for Jakob Chychrun (4.6 AAV). Isles can fit the entire cap hit and then roll with a 21-man roster OR trade a pick to another team to take on 1m of the cap hit, so they could add another F - probably bargain hunt - Anthony Beauvillier, Dominik Kubalik, Alexander Barabanov, Ilya Mihkeyev -once he is bought out.
Option #4 - BARGAIN HUNT during free agency- Split the 4.7m amongst 3 UFAs
  • LL signs - Jake Bean, LHD, Arvidsson, RW or Duclair, F

MY NEXT POST will be moving a player out to improve the roster
Wow. Is Cole Perfetti truly available?

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Most of the Ehlers "struggling in the postseason argument" is a little skewed by his debut in the postseason as a 21-year old where he went scoreless in 15 games.

He certainly hasn't been on DeBrusks' level, but not as bad as peeps are making it out to be either...

It is still a 60-point (per 82) performer compared to someone who isn't even a 50-point performer in the regular season.

Hell, even DeBrusk's obviously superior postseason numbers (27-20-47 in 86 career games) are BELOW (45 points per 82) his rather meek regular season numbers (47 per 82)....

Ehlers for me, unless we can get DeBrusk for 5/30 or so (which isn't happening)

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Mrs. Reilly, and ONLY Mrs. Reilly . . .

Trade for the two yutes! Or find a trade partner who gave Jack his magic beans . . .

Ironically the Yotes are about to become the Utes.

What does it mean...?

Trade for Clayton Keller (before his NTC kicks in July 1st).

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
One thing I do not want to see and can totally see happening is Mike Rielly getting signed to anything longer than a two year deal.

That's the ONE thing...? Any of Reilly, Clutterbuck, Martin, Bortuzzo, or Aho getting more than a 1 year deal isn't good. And probably most of them shouldn't even be given that.

And while we're at it, I'd rather see any of them resigned than Lou trading the 1st, yet again, for a middle-level talent. Enough of that shit. Go big or go home. Trading the 1st is fine, but only if it's that plus for a 1st line winger/top pair defenseman.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
That's the ONE thing...? Any of Reilly, Clutterbuck, Martin, Bortuzzo, or Aho getting more than a 1 year deal isn't good. And probably most of them shouldn't even be given that.

And while we're at it, I'd rather see any of them resigned than Lou trading the 1st, yet again, for a middle-level talent. Enough of that shit. Go big or go home. Trading the 1st is fine, but only if it's that plus for a 1st line winger/top pair defenseman.

Sure none of those guys should be getting a contract at all though in my opinion. Would not mind if Clutterbuck got a 1 year deal at league minimum but the money should be used elsewhere. I agree with you.

Reactions: 12Dog

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Crazy thought to upgrade the top 4 D and get around the NTCs. Let Reilly walk. Move Pelech down to the 3rd pair with Mayfield. They can be the 1st PK pairing, so they can just fire the puck down the ice and it keeps the top 4 fresher. It's an expensive 3rd pair, but the 1st pair only will make $6M combined next year so it's workable. Trade for or sign a LH PMD for the 2nd pair. Then, on 7/1/25, Pelech's full NTC converts to a 16 team NTC, so trade him then. Probably overly complicated, but just a thought.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
LeBrun: Laine wants a fresh start and they're working on a trade

Unlikely to happen with a team in division but anyway...

Reactions: leeroggy

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I do not want Laine

He's a risk but if the price is right it's a risk worth taking. He's 26 and can score goals, something this team needs more of. I trust the veterans on this team to help him out with whatever off ice struggles he's had in the past.

Reactions: iggy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad