Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chockey22

Jul 12, 2022
I'd okay with Lamoriello attaching an asset to Lee if it means moving him this summer/at the draft. That deal becomes immovable the day training camp starts. Pageau, while I do want to move him, I think can be moved at the deadline with 50% retention and return an asset.

That's why I'm trying to move Lee, Nelson, and Palmieri this offseason.
I'd be hesitant to attach assets to move anyone; Isles are not in a position to give away picks and besides, freeing up that cap space really only matters if you can effectively use the cap space. Giving up a second (or two seconds) to get rid of Lee so Lou can immediately use that cap space this offseason, where there are few top tier talents, strikes me as a recipe to ongoing mediocrity. Trade Nelson and Palmieri for sure, they are declining assets that will likely still bring a decent return

Reactions: MJF

Chockey22

Jul 12, 2022
Still take EP all day. Same with Barkov, who has stepped up and had an excellent playoff series.
EP was completely invisible this past playoffs - embarassing really. I watched the Isles and Canucks closely these playoffs, and would say without hesitation that Barzal was significantly more noticeable and effective. I don't mind EP, but if you're concerned about so-called playoff no-shows, which Barzal is not, I have no idea why you'd like EP or put him in the same paragraph as Barkov

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Unpopular opinion maybe but I’d trade both Brock and Palmieri this summer. Last years of their deals and they’re both mid 30’s. Team needs to get younger and more skilled. Brock would be really attractive to a lot of teams looking for 30 goal 2way reliable center.
Palmieri is a 25+ goal gritty winger. Those are 2 guys I don’t see use signing long term that could help us get back some assets and open up cap space.

I think many fans wouldn't mind seeing that happen.

We just can't see Lou even contemplating that kind of thing.

But who knows?... Maybe he'll do something this offseason that he's doing for the first time as the NYI GM.

I'm just not betting on it happening.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Wonder if Lou thinks Zegras' attitude can be turned around? I mean, if it weren't for that Zegras would be a great fit based on what Verbeek wants back in return. He mentioned he wanted some veteran leadership to take the burden off the youngsters. A move for Zegras wouldn't actually result in any cap space though, unless the Ducks are willing to take on some more cap space for assets.

The attitude is a big if though.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
I think many fans wouldn't mind seeing that happen.

We just can't see Lou even contemplating that kind of thing.

But who knows?... Maybe he'll do something this offseason that he's doing for the first time as the NYI GM.

I'm just not betting on it happening.
I could see Lou doing something bigger and different this offseason, let’s face it, he’s into his 3rd coach and the roster needs a facelift. Lou is going to be listening hard to what Roy thinks and I wouldn’t be surprised if he does something big. Question is, is there a dance partner out there that likes what most of us want to see moved?

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
EP was completely invisible this past playoffs - embarassing really. I watched the Isles and Canucks closely these playoffs, and would say without hesitation that Barzal was significantly more noticeable and effective. I don't mind EP, but if you're concerned about so-called playoff no-shows, which Barzal is not, I have no idea why you'd like EP or put him in the same paragraph as Barkov
No to mention #13 showed up his first bunch of playoff seasons and was a big part of post season deep runs at what 22 23 years old?

Reactions: WangMustGo

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
I think Lou will look to trade Pageau but that is it. Nelson and Palmieri stays for the time being, althoough I fully expect Nelson to get a fat 5 year deal in he summer. A retool is possible, but Lou is not the guy to do it. As long as he remains at the helm, they will stay the course with the same team and same core, and Lou will only stpe aside once he realises they are done.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
I think Lou will look to trade Pageau but that is it. Nelson and Palmieri stays for the time being, althoough I fully expect Nelson to get a fat 5 year deal in he summer. A retool is possible, but Lou is not the guy to do it. As long as he remains at the helm, they will stay the course with the same team and same core, and Lou will only stpe aside once he realises they are done.
Sadly, I agree 100%, although I cringe at the thought of Nelson getting a new 5-year extension.

Lou's picking up an extra 2nd round pick showed his cards about unloading a contract and since neither Brock or Kyle should require an asset to be moved, that tells me also it is Pageau that is on his way out. I simply don't see him even approaching Anders as much as we would like for that to be the case....

Assuming he can clear that whole 5 million off the books and get Holmstrom and MacLean signed for <$2 million, then it will be what can he do to fill the rest of the roster with about $10.3 million in cap space and 18 players on the realistic roster:

OPEN-Horvat (8.5)-Barzal (9.15)
Lee (7)- Nelson (6)- Palms (5)
Engvall (3)-Cizikas (2.5)-Tsyplakov (.95)
OPEN-MacLean (.925)-Holmstrom (1)

Fasching (.775)-OPEN

Romanov (2.5)- Dobson (4)
Pelech (5.75)- Pulock (6.15)
OPEN- Mayfield (3.5)

OPEN

Sorokin (8.25)- Varlamov (2.75)

Lou simply doesn't look at our future or care about our prospect pool and has shown no signs that he is going to change his philosophy this offseason, which tells me not only that extra 2nd is in play but the 1st rounder yet again. Dobson, Wahlstrom (2018) and Holmstrom (2019) are his only first round picks since he has taken the helm, having traded each of the last 3.

Need 3 forwards and 2 blueliners with 10 million in cap space and a 1st round pick at our disposal and this is how we should be looking at things when accepting this is who our GM is... Also would be nice to find another struggling former 1st round pick that we can do a change of scenery swap with Wahlstrom.

I couldn't put Gauthier as even my 14th forward as it was even a stretch to have Tsyplakov among my 12, but I still think that is more likely than any of the rookies making the team (Iskhakov, Maggio or Dufour) and I chose Fasching as my 13th forward, not wanting to put him on my third line.

Also hope we learned from last season and get a veteran 7th defender so Bolduc can be our #8 and not forced into the lineup quickly when Adam, Ryan or Scott get hurt like they always seem to do....Obviously re-signing Reilly (<2 million) is the odds on favorite to fill our #6...

JMO, but this is a more realistic approach to how Lou will operate this offseason. I wish I was wrong and another regular could be upgraded on (talking to you Lee) but I seriously doubt it....

Last edited:
Reactions: MJF

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
No to mention #13 showed up his first bunch of playoff seasons and was a big part of post season deep runs at what 22 23 years old?
He did not show up vs PIT, Palms did though.

We can now separate those Trotz performances from those under Lambert and Roy. So far, he and the Isles haven’t won a series.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
5 years for Nelson would irk me, but I could see Lou making him another one of his Islanders for Life.

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
Wonder if Lou thinks Zegras' attitude can be turned around? I mean, if it weren't for that Zegras would be a great fit based on what Verbeek wants back in return. He mentioned he wanted some veteran leadership to take the burden off the youngsters. A move for Zegras wouldn't actually result in any cap space though, unless the Ducks are willing to take on some more cap space for assets.

The attitude is a big if though.
Its a risk I would take, personally. Don't think Lou would though. I think between Patty, a veteran team, and Lou, they could straighten him out quick

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
Sadly, I agree 100%, although I cringe at the thought of Nelson getting a new 5-year extension.

Lou's picking up an extra 2nd round pick showed his cards about unloading a contract and since neither Brock or Kyle should require an asset to be moved, that tells me also it is Pageau that is on his way out. I simply don't see him even approaching Anders as much as we would like for that to be the case....

Assuming he can clear that whole 5 million off the books and get Holmstrom and MacLean signed for <$2 million, then it will be what can he do to fill the rest of the roster with about $10.3 million in cap space and 18 players on the realistic roster:

OPEN-Horvat (8.5)-Barzal (9.15)
Lee (7)- Nelson (6)- Palms (5)
Engvall (3)-Cizikas (2.5)-Tsyplakov (.95)
OPEN-MacLean (.925)-Holmstrom (1)

Fasching (.775)-OPEN

Romanov (2.5)- Dobson (4)
Pelech (5.75)- Pulock (6.15)
OPEN- Mayfield (3.5)

OPEN

Sorokin (8.25)- Varlamov (2.75)

Lou simply doesn't look at our future or care about our prospect pool and has shown no signs that he is going to change his philosophy this offseason, which tells me not only that extra 2nd is in play but the 1st rounder yet again. Dobson, Wahlstrom (2018) and Holmstrom (2019) are his only first round picks since he has taken the helm, having traded each of the last 3.

Need 3 forwards and 2 blueliners with 10 million in cap space and a 1st round pick at our disposal and this is how we should be looking at things when accepting this is who our GM is... Also would be nice to find another struggling former 1st round pick that we can do a change of scenery swap with Wahlstrom.

I couldn't put Gauthier as even my 14th forward as it was even a stretch to have Tsyplakov among my 12, but I still think that is more likely than any of the rookies making the team (Iskhakov, Maggio or Dufour) and I chose Fasching as my 13th forward, not wanting to put him on my third line.

Also hope we learned from last season and get a veteran 7th defender so Bolduc can be our #8 and not forced into the lineup quickly when Adam, Ryan or Scott get hurt like they always seem to do....Obviously re-signing Reilly (<2 million) is the odds on favorite to fill our #6...

JMO, but this is a more realistic approach to how Lou will operate this offseason. I wish I was wrong and another regular could be upgraded on (talking to you Lee) but I seriously doubt it....
One of Pelech/Pulock needs to be improved upon, especially in skating and breakouts
Bottom 2 pairs without Reilly are brutally slow
Czikis as third line center needs to be improved, he provides very little offense
You want to roll 3 lines, can’t have the third line give you a combined 30ish goals, considering the top 2 lines aren’t lights out offensively

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
One of Pelech/Pulock needs to be improved upon, especially in skating and breakouts
Bottom 2 pairs without Reilly are brutally slow
Czikis as third line center needs to be improved, he provides very little offense
You want to roll 3 lines, can’t have the third line give you a combined 30ish goals, considering the top 2 lines aren’t lights out offensively
No doubt that is what we would all like, but the chances either Pelech or Pulock are moved with their full NTC's are slim to none, as is the likelihood we will be able to make an investment in a better puck moving upgrade since Lou made Mayfield all but untradeable now as well.

As for Cizikas manning the third line- I wasn't implying that was automatic, even though I put out the lines that way above. Islanders need three forwards minimum after they trade JGP and one very well could be a third line center that moves CC back to the 4th line and MacLean on one of the wings.

Without a doubt the ideal plan would be:

1) Getting a top line winger for Barzal/Horvat
2) Getting another forward who would at least compete strongly as a top 6er on Nelson and Palms line
3) Replacing one of Pelech/Pulock with another puck-moving blueliner besides just Noah
4) And yet a 3rd forward who can play center allowing Cizikas to remain on the 4th line

Unfortunately, to achieve the above it would mean trading both JGP AND LEE as well as one of PELECH/PULOCK and the odds of that happening are zero

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
No doubt that is what we would all like, but the chances either Pelech or Pulock are moved with their full NTC's are slim to none, as is the likelihood we will be able to make an investment in a better puck moving upgrade since Lou made Mayfield all but untradeable now as well.

As for Cizikas manning the third line- I wasn't implying that was automatic, even though I put out the lines that way above. Islanders need three forwards minimum after they trade JGP and one very well could be a third line center that moves CC back to the 4th line and MacLean on one of the wings.

Without a doubt the ideal plan would be:

1) Getting a top line winger for Barzal/Horvat
2) Getting another forward who would at least compete strongly as a top 6er on Nelson and Palms line
3) Replacing one of Pelech/Pulock with another puck-moving blueliner besides just Noah
4) And yet a 3rd forward who can play center allowing Cizikas to remain on the 4th line

Unfortunately, to achieve the above it would mean trading both JGP AND LEE as well as one of PELECH/PULOCK and the odds of that happening are zero
Lee isn’t getting moved, hopefully Pageau does and won’t require too much of a sweetener
Players with no movement clauses do get moved, I’m sure if Lou wants to move a player with a clause he will
Newest “confirmed” rumor is Ehlers
What, besides the first would Winnipeg realistically want?
Ehlers would help, but I hope that wouldn’t be the only addition Lou is looking to make

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Lee isn’t getting moved, hopefully Pageau does and won’t require too much of a sweetener
Players with no movement clauses do get moved, I’m sure if Lou wants to move a player with a clause he will
Newest “confirmed” rumor is Ehlers
What, besides the first would Winnipeg realistically want?
Ehlers would help, but I hope that wouldn’t be the only addition Lou is looking to make
Again, it is being realistic.

Winnipeg will have little to no interest in Pageau, so it would be a package around the 1st rounder and one of our young blueline prospects headlining the deal one would think.

The "won't require too much of a sweetner" with 2 years and a 5 million cap hit each season (even with only 7.5 million of it actually being cash) left will be that extra 2nd rounder he just traded for and perhaps even the higher 2nd rounder we already had. Islander fans should actually "hope" that is enough of a sweetner for a non-top 6er making 5 million per the next two seasons and "averaging" a meager 16 goals and 40 points in his 4+ seasons as an Islander (per 82).

Assuming the 1st rounder+ prospect package nets Ehlers (6 million) and you are able to trade JGP without any retention (plus adding your two RFA's) you are left with 3-4 million in cap still needing minimum a 6th defender and 2 forwards and that means bargain shopping, unless you move off another contract.

Barzal, Horvat, Dobson and Sorokin aren't likely to get moved and neither are Romanov, Cizikas or Varlamov because they are actually worth their cap hit and wouldn't be worth the risk of trading especially with how little cap space they would give us. Mayfield and Engvall are essentially unmovable with 6 years left on their contracts coming off the subpar and injury-filled seasons especially...

Since you are adamant about Lee not getting moved, then that means Pulock, Pelech, Nelson or Palms as being the only ones left. Trading any of them to open up 5-6 million in cap space will simply be to REPLACE THEM since they are in fact your 2nd line forwards and blueliners respectively. It isn't going to be so you can add to our group but rather just hopefully upgrade them.

A rather bleak realization actually....

slurpee addict

Winter is Coming
Jul 13, 2018
Winnipeg
Just my thoughts on Ehlers.

I'm a Jets fan, I live in Winnipeg and my jersey - which I paid a lot of money for six or seven years ago has Ehlers' name and number on the back. I'm happy to wear it.

But - I'm also a core Islanders fan, and have been since the late seventies. Bossy was my favorite. Great goal scorer obviously, but also very underrated in many other areas.

As an Islanders fan, I don't want to see Ehlers in an Islanders jersey. Yes, he's fast, and has a very good zone entry option. Yes he has a sneaky and good shot. Can probably in the right situations score 30+ a season.

But, he's a turnover machine - especially in situations that will expose your team to high danger chances against. Simply put. He's dumb. Dumb, dumb, dumb. He's not terrible defensively, but neither is he good in that area. His passing is only ok. He doesn't avoid corners, but neither is he very good in them. Bottom line - he looks great and can bring you out of your seat. But he will more often cause you to fling a shoe at your TV. Great person too. Good interview and always seem to be smiling. But he looks less happy every week here in Winnipeg. He absolutely needs new scenery, just not sure I would give up a defenseman from the Isles current crop to get him. Maybe Mayfield based on last years play. I would not want to give up anyone else. I'm hopeful we see improvement from Pulock and Pelech and recommend keeping them.

Ehlers to the Islanders? Not an awful move, but don't give up much for him - except an older player (JGP maybe) with a high(ish) salary.

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
Just my thoughts on Ehlers.

I'm a Jets fan, I live in Winnipeg and my jersey - which I paid a lot of money for six or seven years ago has Ehlers' name and number on the back. I'm happy to wear it.

But - I'm also a core Islanders fan, and have been since the late seventies. Bossy was my favorite. Great goal scorer obviously, but also very underrated in many other areas.

As an Islanders fan, I don't want to see Ehlers in an Islanders jersey. Yes, he's fast, and has a very good zone entry option. Yes he has a sneaky and good shot. Can probably in the right situations score 30+ a season.

But, he's a turnover machine - especially in situations that will expose your team to high danger chances against. Simply put. He's dumb. Dumb, dumb, dumb. He's not terrible defensively, but neither is he good in that area. His passing is only ok. He doesn't avoid corners, but neither is he very good in them. Bottom line - he looks great and can bring you out of your seat. But he will more often cause you to fling a shoe at your TV. Great person too. Good interview and always seem to be smiling. But he looks less happy every week here in Winnipeg. He absolutely needs new scenery, just not sure I would give up a defenseman from the Isles current crop to get him. Maybe Mayfield based on last years play. I would not want to give up anyone else. I'm hopeful we see improvement from Pulock and Pelech and recommend keeping them.

Ehlers to the Islanders? Not an awful move, but don't give up much for him - except an older player (JGP maybe) with a high(ish) salary.
Totally appreciate your post. Isles need skill and talent and LW is certainly a need. Curious if you would prefer Ehlers or Debrusk on that top line. Other posters may have better fits for that spot.

Reactions: slurpee addict

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
That ICB post prompted me to look at BUF more closely and they're an interesting possibility for a deal. Their weakness is our strength and vice-versa. They have too many kids in the 18-24 range and need more vets. And they could really use a defensive 3C. There are rumors that Power could be moved, but many of their fans seem to think that's nuts. I tend to agree, but even lesser kids like Krebs or Jokiharju might be good fits for the Isles. Cizikas and Pelech are both from nearby TOR, and JGP is from OTT, FWIW. Maybe Pelech would waive for BUF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad