Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

Status
Not open for further replies.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Unpopular opinion maybe but I’d trade both Brock and Palmieri this summer. Last years of their deals and they’re both mid 30’s. Team needs to get younger and more skilled. Brock would be really attractive to a lot of teams looking for 30 goal 2way reliable center.
Palmieri is a 25+ goal gritty winger. Those are 2 guys I don’t see use signing long term that could help us get back some assets and open up cap space.
Both guys have proven to be pretty clutch in the post season.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
But let’s keep doubling down on the ones that clearly are not. Works great.
not sure who you're comparing too but BN has 50 points in 78 career post season games, Palms has 32 points in 68 career playoff games. Unleashed has 45 in 60. Was referring to the two old fellas being somewhat clutch lately

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
No offense, but 3 goals (none of which were PP goals) in 10 combined games with 22 PIMs against a Carolina team that got rinsed by the Rangers doesn't exactly scream "clutch" in the postseason.

I'd trade Nelson, Palmieri, AND Lee even if I had to attach assets to the latter.

Pageau at 50% at the deadline will recoup the assets attached to Lee.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
No offense, but 3 goals (none of which were PP goals) in 10 combined games with 22 PIMs against a Carolina team that got rinsed by the Rangers doesn't exactly scream "clutch" in the postseason.

I'd trade Nelson, Palmieri, AND Lee even if I had to attach assets to the latter.

the two runs we had, Brock Nelson did score some pretty big goals. Not too far of a distant memory for some GM's perhaps?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
the two runs we had, Brock Nelson did score some pretty big goals. Not too far of a distant memory for some GM's perhaps?
He was clutch, but that was during the Trotzian regime when he was in the prime of his career. He'll be 33 next season and multiple years removed from being "Big Game Brock". The time to strike the iron is now.

I would say the same goes for Palmieri, who significantly rebuilt his value last season. I'd put down $100 that he will never smell 30 goals again in his career. Can it happen? Sure, but I'd still throw down a c-note on that bet...

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
agree, hence why selling the "clutch" angle
In that case, I agree. One of the teams that could certainly use him is Boston who is built to win today and is in desperate need of a top six center.

Problem is their best asset is Ullmark, which makes me wonder if there is a third party out there that is in desperate need of a goaltender that can offer up an asset that the Islanders could use.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
100% that’s why they’d have value. We have to be realistic at where we are as an organization. This aging core is passed their expiration date. Trotz years were our shot. Look at the Florida panthers. Are we even close to competing with them?

We have aging players and no young prospects or depth in the organization. Trade everyone on the wrong side of 30 and start to get younger and more skilled.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

I’d trade Lee and Pageau as well. I was just listing Nelson and Palmieri because I think we could actually get decent value for them. I think we’d get a really good return for Nelson.

Lee, you’re right that we would have to attach an asset.

Pageau I think we could move without attaching an asset but I don’t think we’d get a significant return for him.

He was clutch, but that was during the Trotzian regime when he was in the prime of his career. He'll be 33 next season and multiple years removed from being "Big Game Brock". The time to strike the iron is now.

I would say the same goes for Palmieri, who significantly rebuilt his value last season. I'd put down $100 that he will never smell 30 goals again in his career. Can it happen? Sure, but I'd still throw down a c-note on that bet...
Exactly why I think both should be moved now. Get out ahead of the inevitable and do it while they actually have decent value

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I’d trade Lee and Pageau as well. I was just listing Nelson and Palmieri because I think we could actually get decent value for them. I think we’d get a really good return for Nelson.

Lee, you’re right that we would have to attach an asset.

Pageau I think we could move without attaching an asset but I don’t think we’d get a significant return for him.
I'd okay with Lamoriello attaching an asset to Lee if it means moving him this summer/at the draft. That deal becomes immovable the day training camp starts. Pageau, while I do want to move him, I think can be moved at the deadline with 50% retention and return an asset.

That's why I'm trying to move Lee, Nelson, and Palmieri this offseason.

Reactions: SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
In that case, I agree. One of the teams that could certainly use him is Boston who is built to win today and is in desperate need of a top six center.

Problem is their best asset is Ullmark, which makes me wonder if there is a third party out there that is in desperate need of a goaltender that can offer up an asset that the Islanders could use.
I think Barry would love Brock in NSH. I think WPG MIN DET and possibly OTT make sense as well.

BOS has a worse prospect system than us. Only player I’d even like on the team is Beecher oand that’s not enough to move the needle

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I think Barry would love Brock in NSH. I think WPG MIN DET and possibly OTT make sense as well.

BOS has a worse prospect system than us. Only player I’d even like on the team is Beecher oand that’s not enough to move the needle
Which is why I proposed a three way deal, because there are quite a few teams out there looking for a goaltender, which Boston has a player they can afford to part ways with to fill another need.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Yeah, but if they can't get out of the first round, may as well make these moves now while they have value.
Great logic. So, those players that are clutch should go, but stick with the no shows bc they are younger…

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
The chances Lou trades all three of Brock, Kyle and Anders are about minus zero.

Hell, the chances he trades 2 of them are in fact zero and even one is highly unlikely...

Peeps know who the GM is still, yes????

Saying what we would do. I’d be shocked if he actually did. I do think he will try and trade Pageau though. Cizikas is cheaper and can give you the same thing but slightly worse on faceoffs. MaClean proved he can be a 4C for us.

Pageau doesn’t bring any offense anymore. Trade him to a team that needs a 3C and defensive forward that can win faceoffs.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
not sure who you're comparing too but BN has 50 points in 78 career post season games, Palms has 32 points in 68 career playoff games. Unleashed has 45 in 60. Was referring to the two old fellas being somewhat clutch lately
I think we have two playoff series under two different coaches vs. the same team NOT under Trotz to know who shows up and who doesn’t.

Reactions: MarsTBOW

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
It’s THE Florida move of moving on from a perimeter player to a player with jam. Both are signed and young, except Barzal is signed for 7 years, which OTT cost certainty on the cap/salary. OTT moves on now before Brady asks out (and he will) and are working from negative position just CAL did. His NMC kicks in next summer, he’ll ask out before that, so he can lock in his last three years on a team favorable to him.

I do not think Lou has the Balls to do this.
If there is more to Brady's Game than what we have seen, this is a move I would strongly consider.
We need a Beast on the Isles for once.....

Reactions: Throttle

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
I think we have two playoff series under two different coaches vs. the same team NOT under Trotz to know who shows up and who doesn’t.
keep fighting the good fight, unleashed put up a point a game this post season, the other guys didn't. Take a peek at the old fellas first few post seasons when you have a chance compared to unleashed. FYI: Last year with the bum knee kid couldn't catch lighting in a bottle. No excuses, just facts, Least of the teams issues in my humble opinion. the 9.1 or whatever he makes is looking like quite a bargain soon considering EP in Vancouver you were clamoring for.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Unless Trotz comes back as coach, there's no shot this team is going back to the semi-finals so the longer we keep Nelson all it does it lower his trade value.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
keep fighting the good fight, unleashed put up a point a game this post season, the other guys didn't. Take a peek at the old fellas first few post seasons when you have a chance compared to unleashed. FYI: Last year with the bum knee kid couldn't catch lighting in a bottle. No excuses, just facts, Least of the teams issues in my humble opinion. the 9.1 or whatever he makes is looking like quite a bargain soon considering EP in Vancouver you were clamoring for.
Still take EP all day. Same with Barkov, who has stepped up and had an excellent playoff series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad