Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
There hasn’t been an official announcement for some reason but there’s word that we Signed Jesse Nurmi to his ELC and he plans to come over this year. He will surely start out in the AHL but it’s nice to have him come over. Hes one of those under the radar guys that could definitely develop into an NHL player.

Long shot. At the senior level, he had 2A in 19 games for Koo Koo last season in Finland.

Hope I'm wrong . . .

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
There hasn’t been an official announcement for some reason but there’s word that we Signed Jesse Nurmi to his ELC and he plans to come over this year. He will surely start out in the AHL but it’s nice to have him come over. Hes one of those under the radar guys that could definitely develop into an NHL player.

Yep, it's definitely up visually at Eliteprospects:
1718283257375.png

1718283289294.png

Not quite sure why we'd use up a contract slot on him at this point.

But it's not the first I'm wondering about that.

Long shot. At the senior level, he had 2A in 19 games for Koo Koo last season in Finland.

Hope I'm wrong . . .

To be fair, he missed a huge chunk of last season. Had a lengthy rehab for a mid-November injury. Cost him a lot of time.

But I remember looking at the first quarter of the European season and thinking, "1 assist in 14 games with like under 4 minutes of ice time per game? Why the heck do they have this kid in the line-up???"

Now that I think about it, that sure seems like a chief reason they'd bring him over now...

Last edited:
Reactions: SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I would be interested to see what Laine could do for us
Definitely could use his scoring ability. Only problem is he hasn’t been abode to stay healthy the last few years. Would he fit Roy’s style of play as well? I wouldn’t trade an arm an a leg for him.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Definitely could use his scoring ability. Only problem is he hasn’t been abode to stay healthy the last few years. Would he fit Roy’s style of play as well? I wouldn’t trade an arm an a leg for him.

Well, that and him entering the league's drug & alcohol assistance program...

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

Hope I'm wrong . . .
They’re all Long shots. But he’s only 19 and he only got a handful of TOI. When he plays with his peers his own age he always shines.

Well, that and him entering the league's drug & alcohol assistance program...
Didn’t even know that. WOW.

Pageau + Engvall lol

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Well, that’s just rationalizing your narrative. A guy with 4Gs in 22 playoff games is still an issue. Maybe that’s why WPG wants to move on? He’s not delivering in the games it matters most
Call it what you want, but it is also rationalizing when only talking about DeBrusks' playoff performance as well, ironically when even there he is an under 50-point performer.

So it literally is comparing a 60-point player whose career per82's are better than both Bo Horvat's and Brock Nelson's....

and a less than 50-point player whose career per82 (even when you include his postseason numbers) are less than Anders Lee and......Kyle Palmieri's. Ya, even Kyle has been a better point producer (49 per 82 to DeBrusk's 47)

And no, the reason Winnipeg wants to part ways with him is because he has already stated he has no intention on signing an extension with them.

I doubt Ehlers 4 goals and 7 points in the last 16 Jets playoff games (not great, but certainly not awful) is the major reason

Reactions: hn777

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Seems
Feels
Thought
My Opinion

114 points in 129 games in COLUMBUS is not gliding for a paycheck
He's been asked for a lot and he had an organization that kept losing solid players and were run by a GM that lots of the posters here were highly critical of, but he's the reason?
And he's still only 26 and is the perfect winger for Barzal and Horvat

Horrendous defensively, often injured, highly paid, and now with an alcohol or drug problem. The only way it makes sense is if it’s for a cap dump like Pageau. Otherwise keep the guy away from here.

Reactions: Glorydays22

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Laine is a different breed entirely when his head is on straight.

A career 35-goal scorer (per82) even with his troublesome last 4 years where he has only managed to play in 175 games.

At that cap hit, there would have to be some serious retention for me to want to trade anything of real value to take a gamble on him, and even then I would have to have a clear picture that his recent troubles are behind him.

Couple our lack of assets with the highly doubtful in-division swap happening anyway, it is rather a moot point to even suggest a trade for him IMO

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Horrendous defensively, often injured, highly paid, and now with an alcohol or drug problem. The only way it makes sense is if it’s for a cap dump like Pageau. Otherwise keep the guy away from here.

Show me how you said the same thing about Lehner when we signed him. Same exact profile.

Amazing how many people here:
a: We need to add HIGH END LEVEL Talent
b: Oh no, not him, he's got a flaw

High end talent is NOT available if they check all the boxes. I've NEVER heard a teammate complain about him. This is the NHL, not Mother Teresa's league.

My proposal would be Laine and Bean for Pageau, Mayfield and Wally

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Show me how you said the same thing about Lehner when we signed him. Same exact profile.

Amazing how many people here:
a: We need to add HIGH END LEVEL Talent
b: Oh no, not him, he's got a flaw

High end talent is NOT available if they check all the boxes. I've NEVER heard a teammate complain about him. This is the NHL, not Mother Teresa's league.

My proposal would be Laine and Bean for Pageau, Mayfield and Wally
Feel free to look through my posts. I was a big fan of taking a chance on Lerner. Difference was he didn’t cost assets and was signed for 1 year.

I’m sure Columbus could do better elsewhere than that offer. Why would you trade him to a division rival for cap dumps if he is as good as you say.

Of the supposed players that are available give me Marner he is far better. If you are going to eat up a significant amount of cap space use it towards an actual impact player.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Lehner signed as UFA for like $1M for a single year. He was a time bomb waiting to happen (oh and it did). Luckily, Lou got his guy in Varly and Lehner did not return.

Just remember fans wanted Lehner resigned…

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Feel free to look through my posts. I was a big fan of taking a chance on Lerner. Difference was he didn’t cost assets and was signed for 1 year.

I’m sure Columbus could do better elsewhere than that offer. Why would you trade him to a division rival for cap dumps if he is as good as you say.

Of the supposed players that are available give me Marner he is far better. If you are going to eat up a significant amount of cap space use it towards an actual impact player.

And Laine is only signed for two years, and we are dumping two contracts that most here have consistently cried about.

And if that offer can be beat, then his value is a LOT higher than what is being claimed here, making the arguments against him wrong.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Call it what you want, but it is also rationalizing when only talking about DeBrusks' playoff performance as well, ironically when even there he is an under 50-point performer.

So it literally is comparing a 60-point player whose career per82's are better than both Bo Horvat's and Brock Nelson's....

and a less than 50-point player whose career per82 (even when you include his postseason numbers) are less than Anders Lee and......Kyle Palmieri's. Ya, even Kyle has been a better point producer (49 per 82 to DeBrusk's 47)

And no, the reason Winnipeg wants to part ways with him is because he has already stated he has no intention on signing an extension with them.

I doubt Ehlers 4 goals and 7 points in the last 16 Jets playoff games (not great, but certainly not awful) is the major reason
I’m not talking or comparing Debrusk.

Ehlers isn’t moving the needle for the Isles. He’s already proven he can’t deliver in the playoffs. That’s the proving ground right there. Otherwise, another shiny toy. The isles don’t need another one of those.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
And Laine is only signed for two years, and we are dumping two contracts that most here have consistently cried about.

And if that offer can be beat, then his value is a LOT higher than what is being claimed here, making the arguments against him wrong.

In what world does Columbus not get a better offer from a team that has cap space like Columbus or Chicago? Your offer is a joke and there is no chance they take it. Why not add Lee to the offer as well.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I’m not talking or comparing Debrusk.

Ehlers isn’t moving the needle for the Isles. He’s already proven he can’t deliver in the playoffs. That’s the proving ground right there. Otherwise, another shiny toy. The isles don’t need another one of those.

And before Vegas traded for Eichel he was not able to bring a team to the next level. Before Pittsburgh traded for Kessel he was not able to stay in shape to be on a true contender.

Look no further than Edmonton and Florida right now. The Hyman contract was looked at as a joke when he signed that in Edmonton. Go look back at posts when Florida acquired Tkatchuk as well. It is easy to say those moves worked now but at the time they were average at best.

Lou needs to make adjustments to this roster not because they do not have the coaching, not because they lack the overall talent to be better than they are, but because the current roster DOES NOT WORK. You do not make roster decisions based on a 40 game sample size. This is how the Islanders fell into the trap of giving Eberle a big contract because of one great playoff series.

The fact of the matter is 99% of the posters here who believe we need more elite talent NEVER want to acquire the elite talent that becomes available. Shit, look at the posts when the Islanders acquired Horvat from around the league. Acquiring elite talent wins 9/10 times.

-Laine
-Ehlers

Figure out if Laine is okay enough to play this season. If he is you work out a deal. If not you see if the value makes sense to grab Ehlers.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
In what world does Columbus not get a better offer from a team that has cap space like Columbus or Chicago? Your offer is a joke and there is no chance they take it. Why not add Lee to the offer as well.

Why would Chicago want him if he's so toxic s you claim? You wouldn't want him around all your kids, right? We've already shown with Lehner we know how to handle this issue as an organization.

Marner? What the hell can we offer to Toronto that would move the needle for them?

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
The fact of the matter is 99% of the posters here who believe we need more elite talent NEVER want to acquire the elite talent that becomes available. Shit, look at the posts when the Islanders acquired Horvat from around the league. Acquiring elite talent wins 9/10 times.

Put a sticky on this and have every trade post include it

We're all big talk here, and wimps when it comes to saying yes. If you want a clean background, find the Tim Tebow of hockey and trade for him.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
The program isn't just for drug and alcohol assistance and I don't think it's been mentioned about why he entered aside from mental health concerns.

EXACTLY, there was no rumor of drug use AT ALL. Nor alcohol I found. And he had some shoulder surgery while in it too, so he's had a lingering issue in all likelihood that he tried to play through.

And STILL put up 114 points in 129 games while playing with it.

He just turned 26 in late April, my God people, these kids are not perfect!

Reactions: YearlyLottery

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Having a team "built for the playoffs" that has trouble making the playoffs isn't working.

Pinning things on hopes and prayers that we get hot at the right time and go on a miracle Blues run has only resulted in watching our "battle tested core" continue to come up short when it matters most and get another year older.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Having a team "built for the playoffs" that has trouble making the playoffs isn't working.

Pinning things on hopes and prayers that we get hot at the right time and go on a miracle Blues run has only resulted in watching our "battle tested core" continue to come up short when it matters most and get another year older.

That strategy works to a Tee when there is a split or abbreviated season. Let's pin our hat on COVID-24 for an Isles Stanley Cup run

Reactions: MJF

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
The games that matter most for the Islanders are in the regular season.
Be like Toronto, working out great.

If the option is to acquire a guy that can deliver in the regular season, but not in the playoffs vs the guy that has demonstrated both. Going with the later is the better move.

All Ehlers does is give the Isles more scoring and more perimeter play in the regular season. Once the playoffs come, that gets shut down just like the past two playoff rounds. The Isles should be seeking to make adjustments on how they play with what type of players. For now, the ones the team has moved to rely on are easily shut down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad