Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
And yet if you really want to give a fair assessment of any player you would never just quote one stat. You think that's how amateur/pro scouts evaluate a player? +/- is a notable stat, but it's just one piece of the overall puzzle for any player. Lord knows that there have been players with bad to terrible +/- stats over the years that were better than Romanov is.

It is not personal at all with my analysis of Romanov. I didn't like the Pageau trade either, but yet I love the person/player (back when he was good). My problem with Romanov isn't him at all - It's about Lou's overall philosophy in roster building which is...Overpay in trade assets and cap space for middle players, and then have to use picks to bail out of their contracts a few years later when the player is no longer worth the contract and he's desperate for cap space.

Talk about the way to build an average team that ultimately goes nowhere.

To me if you're going to use 1st round picks they should be as part of a package for a truly impact/elite player - Not middle of the road guys like Pageau or Romanov. That's why I believe that the Horvat trade was philosophically Lou's best move. At the time is was probably the most fair deal he did, but most importantly...It was for a great player. He needs to do more moves like that, but for even better players.

Romanov is a nice player, but if you want to really win a Cup you need more impactful players. And for me he doesn't impact the game enough. I'd rather have Dobson at 8M/season than Romanov at 5M/season, especially when every year you see very cheap players impact their teams. Every year that Lou is the GM we're going to need as much cap space as possible and I'd rather shift as much cap space as possible to truly top players.

And… plus/minus aside all those professional scouts would concur that Romanov played at top 2 dman level this past year.

Isles paid a first round pick and got a first round talent. Expecting a Dobson as a typical first round get is a false hope.

And yes, Isles need more top end talent. But I still don’t see how that changes Romanov’s valuation.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
right now is the best time to retool/rebuild

Trade Nelson and Palms retain 50% they scored 30 goals a first isn't THAT unrealistic

Pageau and Lee will have 1 yr left the next year
Lou is looking to add to the Top6 as it is, so it would pretty much defeat the purpose by trading two of your three 30 goal scorers.

Deadline though they should be dealt if we aren't at least longshot cup contenders and making the playoffs

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Lou is looking to add to the Top6 as it is, so it would pretty much defeat the purpose by trading two of your three 30 goal scorers.

Deadline though they should be dealt if we aren't at least longshot cup contenders and making the playoffs
I think that the best thing to do is to get Ehlers while trading away Nelson and Palms. we need to start shifting to a newer core.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I think that the best thing to do is to get Ehlers while trading away Nelson and Palms. we need to start shifting to a newer core.
My opinion too. Move the 30+ UFAs to be and shift the lineup a few years younger. You trade them directly for younger players, or indirectly for draft picks.

Options include… Flip the picks, use the picks and sign a 28/29 year old scorer on UFA.

To add another name, I still see a player like Shane Pinto as a possibility too.

Reactions: FoxYou727

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
And… plus/minus aside all those professional scouts would concur that Romanov played at top 2 dman level this past year.

Isles paid a first round pick and got a first round talent. Expecting a Dobson as a typical first round get is a false hope.

And yes, Isles need more top end talent. But I still don’t see how that changes Romanov’s valuation.
Pretty smart move when you fill a hole for a team competing to accelerate and guarantee a return on that pick.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
I think Nelson is a bigger guy to move on from than KP, but both can be useful assets as well. Islanders should use one of those two instead of P&P for any of a trade with Winnipeg or whoever.
For whom exactly?

Ehlers? Is there another perennial 30 goal scorer we can afford on the block??

Trading Nelson (37 goals per 82 last 3 seasons) for Ehlers (28 goals per 82 last 3 INJURY FILLED seasons) seems counterproductive, doesn't it? I mean especially when one plays center...

as for Palms, he had a nice season but doesn't hold near the trade value because before his 30 goal season of last he didn't even average 18 (per 82) the previous three seasons- ntm again it would be counter-productive.

As for Pelech and Pulock...well, we need another puck mover to join Dobson sooner rather than later.

We are fixing to likely sign the much younger Romanov to a long term deal close to that same 5-6 range that the two 30 year olds are making- and we all know that Mayfield is all but untradeable now that Lou ridiculously signed him into his age 37 season. None of those 4 are puck movers and will be costing over 20 million combined.

So, ya the sooner we move off one of Ryan or Adam (a hard feat as it is because of their decline, latest injury history and most importantly NTC's) the better.....

Reactions: Osakahaus

FoxYou727

May 12, 2024
Los Angeles

Yea I know, still right now is the best time to kick off the retool and rebuild. It won't happen though. One player who needs to be traded is Pelech. Not only his decline but he has gotten one to many hits to the noggin

Reactions: Bill Herlyn

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
My opinion too. Move the 30+ UFAs to be and shift the lineup a few years younger. You trade them directly for younger players, or indirectly for draft picks.

Options include… Flip the picks, use the picks and sign a 28/29 year old scorer on UFA.

To add another name, I still see a player like Shane Pinto as a possibility too.
You can go younger, but right now this team is tilting and playing a perimeter style. Those teams routinely fail in the playoffs. Hello…Carolina.

Reactions: MarsTBOW

FoxYou727

May 12, 2024
Los Angeles
For whom exactly?

Trading Nelson (37 goals per 82 last 3 seasons) for Ehlers (28 goals per 82 last 3 INJURY FILLED seasons) seems counterproductive, doesn't it? I mean especially when one plays center...

as for Palms, he had a nice season but doesn't hold near the trade value because before his 30 goal season of last he didn't even average 18 (per 82) the previous three seasons- ntm again it would be counter-productive.

As for Pelech and Pulock...well, we need another puck mover to join Dobson sooner rather than later.

We are fixing to likely sign the much younger Romanov to a long term deal close to that same 5-6 range that the two 30 year olds are making- and we all know that Mayfield is all but untradeable now that Lou ridiculously signed him into his age 37 season. None of those 4 are puck movers and will be costing over 20 million combined.

So, ya the sooner we move off one of Ryan or Adam (a hard feat as it is because of their decline, latest injury history and most importantly NTC's) the better.....
Since Palms scores 30 his value is the highest it is ever going to be. Rielly is perfect puck moving d man as the 3LD, PP2 QB. Pelech has gotten one to many hits to the noggin which is why they need to trade him. Pulock for Ehlers is one of the hottest trades on capfriendly right now. No idea what Lou was thinking with that Mayfield contract

Reactions: Potvottier

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
For whom exactly?

Palms has a ton of value to GMs and coaches that watch the hockey game and want to win in the playoffs. He’s proven every season with the Isles that he delivers in the playoffs. Teams want that.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Been on record before on not trading Nelson, especially with no internal backup option.

Palmieri I liked the idea of trading because I viewed it as good asset manegement. Getting a second and third for him and signing Perron for example.

Then still trading for a winger.

Reactions: xECK29x

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Since Palms scores 30 his value is the highest it is ever going to be. Rielly is perfect puck moving d man as the 3LD, PP2 QB. Pelech has gotten one to many hits to the noggin which is why they need to trade him. Pulock for Ehlers is one of the hottest trades on capfriendly right now. No idea what Lou was thinking with that Mayfield contract
That should tell you all you need to know about how unbalanced that deal is for the Islanders.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
You rather keep Pelech?
He was terrible before Trotz, barely adequate, and he’s either playing injured or in the wrong system since Trotz left
If someone offered me a bag of pucks for him, I’d pack his bags
That’s a spot that is in desperate need of improvement, especially in skating and breakout passes
Agree I’d be happy just clearing the contract from the books… and I can’t believe I’m saying that because at the time of signing, I thought it was a great deal for the Islanders.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
I never said Palms didn't have value (nor that it isnt as high as it has ever been-agreed), but he isn't alone bringing back a top 6 forward (wing) by himself. His age alone prevents any type of serious top line swap that would make sense for us.

Islanders only currently have 4 top sixers on the team and I think Lou knows that. Pageau, Cizikas and Lee may play there on occasion, but Anders is no longer that and the former two never were. Engvall? Um, no. And ludicrous Lou gave us six more seasons to prove that reality. (UGH!)

Seems ludicrous to me to want to compete next season and subtract from that 4 just to get younger and STILL HAVE JUST FOUR. No, I think Lous is wanting to add to that number, not subtract or keep it the same.

Those two forwards, as I mentioned before are perfect deadline moves; however, assuming it is a lost season.

As for the Pulock/Ehlers trade- I would do it in a heartbeat, also for the reasons I mentioned above. Pelech's NTC and how light we would be on the left side if we moved him, Romanov's youth and we are fixing to sign him long term and Mayfield's now immovable contract. Long term- I repeat- the sooner we replace one of them (Pelech/Pulock) the better off we will be. I'd rather trade Adam, but that contract isn't movable until he starts to play better if you ask me. We need a healthy season from him and his NTC to become M- (next July) before we can seriously entertain that.....

Of course he (Ryan) isn't likely to waive his NTC anyhow and I doubt Lou even approaches him about it- but one would think if he were to do it- it would take a trade like this where he would be much closer to home.

Yes, I like Reilly as you said above- AS A THIRD LINER, and would give him <2 million on a return; but there is a reason we are his sixth team in 9 NHL seasons....

Last edited:

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
It would be great to move out Pelech as part of a deal for a Winger and then bring in Nikita Zadorov to fill his spot.
I just do not trust Pelech anymore in our own end.
I wonder what kind of relationship he has with Roy?
He was a Rookie when Roy coached Colorado.
Also a former team mate to Varly....

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I never said Palms didn't have value (nor that it isnt as high as it has ever been-agreed), but he isn't alone bringing back a top 6 forward (wing) by himself. His age alone prevents any type of serious top line swap that would make sense for us.

Islanders only currently have 4 top sixers on the team and I think Lou knows that. Pageau, Cizikas and Lee may play there on occasion, but Anders is no longer that and the former two never were. Engvall? Um, no. And ludicrous Lou gave us six more seasons to prove that reality. (UGH!)

Seems ludicrous to me to want to compete next season and subtract from that 4 just to get younger and STILL HAVE JUST FOUR. No, I think Lous is wanting to add to that number, not subtract or keep it the same.

Those two forwards, as I mentioned before are perfect deadline moves; however, assuming it is a lost season.

As for the Pulock/Ehlers trade- I would do it in a heartbeat, also for the reasons I mentioned above. Pelech's NTC and how light we would be on the left side if we moved him, Romanov's youth and we are fixing to sign him long term and Mayfield's now immovable contract. Long term- I repeat- the sooner we replace one of them (Pelech/Pulock) the better off we will be. I'd rather trade Adam, but that contract isn't movable until he starts to play better if you ask me. We need a healthy season from him and his NTC to become M- (next July) before we can seriously entertain that.....

Of course he (Ryan) isn't likely to waive his NTC anyhow and I doubt Lou even approaches him about it- but one would think if he were to do it- it would take a trade like this where he would be much closer to home.

Yes, I like Reilly as you said above- AS A THIRD LINER, and would give him <2 million on a return; but there is a reason we are his sixth team in 9 NHL seasons....
Pulocks fiancee is from long island and he's apparently building a house this summer in ny , not manitoba

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
It would be great to move out Pelech as part of a deal for a Winger and then bring in Nikita Zadorov to fill his spot.
I just do not trust Pelech anymore in our own end.
I wonder what kind of relationship he has with Roy?
He was a Rookie when Roy coached Colorado.
Also a former team mate to Varly....

Zadorov isnt leaving the Canucks

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
Zadorov isnt leaving the Canucks
Did Nikita call and tell you this? :sarcasm:

Friedman said he has heard Lindholm enjoyed his time in Vancouver after the big trade in late January. Though things didn't go perfectly right away, Lindholm elevated his game in the playoffs as Vancouver took the Edmonton Oilers to a seventh game in the second round.

Zadorov, meanwhile, presents a different scenario.

"I believe Zadorov has a number and it might actually be a little less than he can get on the open market to stay in Vancouver," Friedman said. "I don't think Vancouver is far away from it, but I don't think they've hit it.

"... I think Zadorov knows if he gets to the open market, he's going to be happy with what's out there, so it's going to be up to the Canucks to get to the number he wants."

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Romanov might be the 2nd best defenseman on the Isles, but on a Cup winning squad no way I see him as a 1st pairing D-man. If you do, that's cool.

And once again I like Romanov.

And again I don't know why so a select group of fans have brain-lock when it comes to dealing 1st round picks. If someone doesn't like a deal involving a 1st for a player it doesn't mean that's because they wanted to use the pick to draft a prospect. It could mean they would've preferred trading the 1st for something else.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Just thinking how wide open this conference probably is next year. FLA might be fatigued from 2 deep runs, BOS/TOR/NYR rosters probably not changing much at all, CAR will change drastically but I think they're still a playoff team, NJ you'd assume is back and in the playoffs, DET probably is too, after that I do not see a whole lot of major changes, Isles with better play from Sorokin and a few smart moves on depth might be able to finish 2 or 3 in the Metro easily.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Pulocks fiancee is from long island and he's apparently building a house this summer in ny , not manitoba
I am fully aware and emphasized it was a longshot proposition....although I admit I didnt read about him building a house in NY (but that he was in fact getting married)

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Not exactly the best way to sell other teams on taking a player on but then again Pelech has a full NTC so this isn't happening.
After 2024-2025, Pelech's full NTC turns into a 16 team NTC.

• I'd be more interested in acquiring someone like Chychrun or Theodore (of course they'd have to be willing to sign a long term deal like all of Lou's previous acquisitions have been willing to). Not sure what the cost is going to be on someone liek Skjei...

• Then I would run both Romanov and Chychrun/Theodore at around ~21 minutes and night and Pelech around 18-19/night, which would be a reduction in his role, but would in all likelihood make him look "better" and rebuild his value, which at that point he would be able to be traded the following offseason. At that point, hopefully NYI has something in Bolduc/George/Odelius...

Reactions: Glory Days

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Romanov might be the 2nd best defenseman on the Isles, but on a Cup winning squad no way I see him as a 1st pairing D-man. If you do, that's cool.

And once again I like Romanov.

And again I don't know why so a select group of fans have brain-lock when it comes to dealing 1st round picks. If someone doesn't like a deal involving a 1st for a player it doesn't mean that's because they wanted to use the pick to draft a prospect. It could mean they would've preferred trading the 1st for something else.

On the current and past few Stanley Cup contenders? Top three pretty easily, and at 24 years of age has room to improve. Still leaves him solidly in first round value and talent.

Dealing first round picks? We went over that too with this pick specifically. You didn't want to use the pick for Fiala, then it was used on Romanov, and you flipped back to wanting it on Fiala. Unfortunately, Fiala wasn't a realistic option for the Isles as he wanted to go to LA.

That pick was subsequently traded for Kirby Dach. So that might offer another perspective on the value of that pick.

Can Lou be criticized for his body of work on the Islanders? Sure. Do the Isles need more skill up and down the lineup? Sure. Does trading a first for Romanov fit into those two point? Not according to his actual play. Islanders walked in with a first round pick, and walked out with a first round level player.

FWIW, I expect a similar thing to happen this draft. Which is why I keep seeing Shane Pinto as a possibility. So take my reply to you as an attempt to preemptively get you off the ledge. :sarcasm:

As per your original post, trading Romanov+ for a better defender. I had a hard time finding a fit. But @seafoam, brought up Shea Theodore. That's someone I could get behind the Isles acquiring. However with the cap increasing, it likely puts him into the 9M+ territory. Which is the same reason ~5M for Romanov will not be out of the question soon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad