Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Because the world exists outside of these next two seasons.

The alternative is paying a lot of money and years to a 33 YO winger to play for a team with an aging core and hardly any prospects of note that already passed their window OR losing him for nothing in FA

Keeping Nelson does not get this team closer to a SC. Trading him is a step-back, for sure. But one that, if you make the right deal, can set you up to go even higher later on
Losing a 30G like Nelson would be a loss. However, Nelson just as much of the problem.

People want to rail on the 3/4th lines as the reason for this season. But what about these ‘core’ guys that are just not getting it done, disappearing for stretches, and just have no mental stamina?

Moving on from Nelson is a statement on the organization and to the players. They need to start to reposition the team at the deadline. The teams in the west are gonna go goofy to try to add players this year.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Lastly while I certainly agree LL needs to go...you can't honestly look at this team and say it's the worst built team since the early 90's. I just don't understand how anyone could suggest such a thing. LL's main job was to bring stability and respectability to the franchise from the ground up-which honestly he's done a good job at. We're not longer the laughing stock of the NHL like we were for years and years in the past.
Of course you can when you have that ratio behind you!
Talk about hitting below the Mendoza Line . . .

You think Wahlstrom’s problem is his skating!?!?

I promise you his problem is that thing located above his neck between his ears.

If you want to avoid something in the first round, avoid a faulty one of those.

What the hell is wrong with his teeth? He's not even British!

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

TXNYI

Dec 30, 2005
Hoping that Lou has the seen the light (and discussed with Roy) and new lines from practice are just about 2 things, both leading up to a Nelson trade:

1. Padding Brock's stats playing him with Horvat & Barzal to up his value
2. Seeing how (or how bad) things would look on the 2nd & 3rd lines without Brock.

Would hate to see him and his great shot go....but convinced now that it needs to be done.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
Maybe i'm fixating - but who actually thinks LL will pull the trigger at 98 years old on a rebuild? or 'retool'? I hope he realizes he's at the poker table with no assets and no money - gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em.... does he? has he ever?

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Maybe i'm fixating - but who actually thinks LL will pull the trigger at 98 years old on a rebuild? or 'retool'? I hope he realizes he's at the poker table with no assets and no money - gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em.... does he? has he ever?
I agree. I don't see Lou trading Nelson for picks or anything like that. If/when a rebuild comes, it will be without Lou.

Reactions: TeamKidd

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I guess one of his problem's is skating and the other as you point out...

Wahlstrom is double the skater Anders Lee is and has an elite shot. If Wahlstorm wasn't the Scarecrow from Wizard of Oz he'd be a 30 goal scorer for years.

5 games left before the deadline. 7 points out of the playoff spot. Tough spot to be in. Certainly not out of it but this team doesn't have enough juice. Lou should call the UFAs into his office and see if they want to go. Hold onto to your core guys and see what Roy can do with a full training camp and season

For me if you're a team that is on the wrong side of the playoff fence, and playing your worst hockey of the year, around the deadline, then you haven't given the GM a reason to go "all in" on you....And it would be insane for that GM to do just that.

But alas our GM only has one gear in his car so...

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
Wahlstrom is double the skater Anders Lee is and has an elite shot. If Wahlstorm wasn't the Scarecrow from Wizard of Oz he'd be a 30 goal scorer for years.
Might as well cast out the team.
Identity line = lollipop guild
Aho - random munchkin

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I agree. I don't see Lou trading Nelson for picks or anything like that. If/when a rebuild comes, it will be without Lou.
Same results under two coaches seems to indicate it’s the players that are primary issue.

The isles have overcome injuries before to still stay competitive. There’s something off with this grouping that coaching isn’t fixing.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Same results under two coaches seems to indicate it’s the players that are primary issue.

The isles have overcome injuries before to still stay competitive. There’s something off with this grouping that coaching isn’t fixing.
I agree. But Lou wasn't brought here to do a rebuild. And I don't think he's interested in embarking on one. At all.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Atlanta
The bubble playoffs and the 2021 run were one of the few bright spots for me during the pandemic. I thought the NHL did an awesome job with those tournaments and it really helped me keep my sanity while most of the world was shut down. Fond memories of those playoff runs.
For some reason, it had a bit of an old school feel to it. Not sure why, since I can't remember the conditions of the playoff structure.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Lou Lamoriello with basically the same core since 2021-22 has been like Tin Cup McAvoy trying to get over the water hazard in the US Open.

You can’t just keep going for it. Eventually you have to reload.

IMG_6287.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad