Roster Building XXII: Too Many Forwards, Hopefully One Cup

UNCCHcane

Nov 26, 2008
Who's our cap expert around here? Does Washington get off the hook if the contract is mutually terminated?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I don't put much stock in that these days, he still plays favorites and scapegoats a lot. Just like when we've got a guy who scores a breakaway goal in-game and then he puts in Staal for the f***ing SO or some bullshit and NOT the guy who scored already.
Staal shootout attempts under RBA:

18-19: zero
19-20: zero
20-21: zero
21-22: zero
22-23: zero
23-24: zero

He didn't get benched because of "favorites", he got benched because he was floating and not as engaged as he should have been.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Is it possible Kuznetsov just wants to play in a league with no taxes or drug testing and it has zero to do with the Canes?

I don't put much stock in that these days, he still plays favorites and scapegoats a lot. Just like when we've got a guy who scores a breakaway goal in-game and then he puts in Staal for the f***ing SO or some bullshit and NOT the guy who scored already.
You can’t possibly watch any of the games or you’d know that no one on the Canes has ever scored a goal on a breakaway, and Jordan Staal hasn’t had a shootout attempt since ‘Nam.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
IIRC, $1m of his $3.9m this year was in signing bonus so he should have already received $1m from both us and the Caps on July 1. I'm not sure how that affects the cap during a mutual termination, we might have to carry that cap penalty but be off the hook for the $2.9m in base salary. Or maybe he can pay it back? Will be interesting to see how that plays out but I would think this at least clears $2.9m.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Is it possible Kuznetsov just wants to play in a league with no taxes or drug testing and it has zero to do with the Canes?

You can’t possibly watch any of the games or you’d know that no one on the Canes has ever scored a goal on a breakaway, and Jordan Staal hasn’t had a shootout attempt since ‘Nam.
I think there's a very good chance he wants a lifestyle change, possibly in many ways. Even with as accepted as he was here, he was constantly under the microscope by everyone it felt like and the almost certainly by the league behind the scenes. He can go live and play where he's likely comfortable, in a league that's easier for him to play in, and if he's still into it, indulge himself in other ways that he wouldn't be able to here. And he can still be well compensated on top of that. If things go as presented so far, at least it seems like everyone would be parting ways on good terms.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I know it wasn't actually Staal (meant as hyperbole), but I can't remember exactly who because we've not done a ton of shootouts in recent years. I just remember we had Jarvy maybe? playing like a mad-man getting scoring chances and then we put in like Burns/TT/Slavin/Martinook or something odd and didn't even come close to a single goal in the SO

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
Who's our cap expert around here? Does Washington get off the hook if the contract is mutually terminated?
There's the thing with the suspected circumvention stuff that the League like to play favorites in who gets to circumvent and who gets the book thrown at them even when they're not circumventing, so cases like this are hard to predict how they will be spun out by the powers that be.

Not that I want to whine about stuff, but there was a healthy dose of creative interpretation in how the League nixed our (second) TDA trade with Philly.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Drink every time you hear: (insert synonym for large) step back, over the next 3 months.

f*** i hate the offseason
Well, I supposed it's a legit concern but given our signings and returning guys should be less of an issue.

Jersey may be the favored child but I'm thinking we may not be that far behind and should be very competitive.

Put me in the camp that would be happy if Kuzy left for Ru....it opens up more cap space and a slot for a young players (probably means KK staying is a certainty too).

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
What remains is largely the same forward group that has resulted in multiple 110+ point seasons.

The in-season trade market is there to improve it for the playoffs. Assuming termination, this puts them in a position to accrue space potentially for something meaningful.
The optimism is astounding, even in the face of harsh reality

Surely you dont foresee another 110 point season right?

Well, I supposed it's a legit concern but given our signings and returning guys should be less of an issue.

Jersey may be the favored child but I'm thinking we may not be that far behind and should be very competitive.

Put me in the camp that would be happy if Kuzy left for Ru....it opens up more cap space and a slot for a young players (probably means KK staying is a certainty too).
Generally when teams lose six starters, things are going to change

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
You're still here?!
1721070511645.png

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
You're still here?!
I am.. but Guentzel Teravainen Noesen Pesce Skjei and seemingly Kuznetsov arent

A regression doesnt mean missing the playoffs.. but talking about past 110 point seasons? Thats just not in any way realistic

Jarvis and Necas havent even been signed and bringing Necas another year closer to UFA with a bridge lowers his value further

Just seriously unsure what the goal is here - seems like Tulsky is out of his element handling the offseason this soon. To not get one of your RFAs done beforehand?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I know it wasn't actually Staal (meant as hyperbole), but I can't remember exactly who because we've not done a ton of shootouts in recent years. I just remember we had Jarvy maybe? playing like a mad-man getting scoring chances and then we put in like Burns/TT/Slavin/Martinook or something odd and didn't even come close to a single goal in the SO
Just for reference, here are the shootout numbers for the Canes over the last 4 seasons:

1721071956135.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad