RD EJ Emery - USNTDP, USHL (2024, 30th, NYR)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Cool. I'm totally fine with picking Emery. Had him at 30, and we pick him 30.

My only thing is that we tend to go for whoever is considered BPA by the team at the time instead of filling our holes. We haven't used a first round pick on a center or LHD in how long? I feel like at a certain point BPA stops actually helping you value-wise because the way value works in the NHL isn't the way it works in a video game. Teams aren't going to intentionally help you out. Player value diminishes when you overcook players too much. It also becomes hard to fill your real holes. I'm not sure where the next generation of Ranger Centers and LHD are because I don't see it from the 2020-2024 drafts. Certainly not a top 6 or top 4 guy. Maybe there's a depth guy thrown in there somewhere, but the team is going to have major work to do there eventually.

Anyway, I almost wonder if this is slight Schneider insurance. Of course Trouba is gonna be a goner soon (whether they complete this trade now or it's in two seasons), so there's gonna be a third RHD spot open. But now that we're gonna be entrusting Schneider with a bigger role, he needs to step up and show he's capable of it. We think he is, but he's not like a Fox or Makar obvious top 4 talent. He'll get that chance the next few years, and if he stumbles then Emery will be there to get his crack at it. And if Schneider can, we potentially have three good right shot defensemen.

I tend to think that Fox should be playing more, not less, and our RHD depth probably like our Goaltender depth is literally the least of the concerns with building out the team, but anyway we are absolutely set at RHD now. How we're going to replace Trouba is addressed by this pick, and I also think there is real upside for Emery to maybe find some offense and be a top pairing guy. I'm not overly optimistic about it, but it's a possibility. And I think he's a relatively safe bet to play NHL games. I think there are elements of Schneider and Miller thrown in there with Emery. He has the length, stride, lankiness of Miller, and the outlets, height, and general RHD profile of Schneider (athletic DFD that isn't going to kill you with the puck).

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Literally just read in the past few hours that some injury was disclosed at the combine which didn't hurt his performance but did scare some teams off of him, which is why he dropped to 30... But now for the life of me can't find the source. Maybe EP?

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Literally just read in the past few hours that some injury was disclosed at the combine which didn't hurt his performance but did scare some teams off of him, which is why he dropped to 30... But now for the life of me can't find the source. Maybe EP?
Yeah, I just read the same thing from the Eliteprospects.

"According to multiple sources, teams that had Emery higher on their rankings passed on the defender after learning about a medical issue at the draft combine in Buffalo. It should be noted that the medical condition didn’t stop Emery from performing well at the combine or continuing his offseason training program.

Teams wouldn’t classify it as career-altering, but it did turn Emery into more of a risk as a first-round pick.

In fact, one team told EP that they would have taken Emery in the second round but couldn’t justify the pick in the first round after the revelation at the combine."

Why did EJ Emery fall to No. 30? What we heard and learned at the 2024 NHL Draft (+)

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
. How we're going to replace Trouba is addressed by this pick, and I also think there is real upside for Emery to maybe find some offense and be a top pairing guy. I'm not overly optimistic about it, but it's a possibility.
In no world do I see Emery as a top pairing guy in the NHL. K'Andre has more offensive ability since he played forward for most of his career and K'Andre is a borderline 2nd pairing D who brings very little offense.

They are both similar style defensemen and I'd argue both lack the acceleration (first 3 steps) to ever compete against top line players in the NHL.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Emery should be a good shutdown D for North Dakota and likely spend 3 years playing at the Ralph before becoming a solid middle pair D for the Rangers. Interested to see how his offense and overall game develops at UND. They have Livanavage and Strathmann as the offensive D, Emery could pair well with one of them

Reactions: Steve Kournianos

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
I have a video about, in part, E.J. Emery that I never posted here I guess. I take a look at some Emery's defensive process and tendencies in particular.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of progress he can make because the athletic base is such that he could expand his technical skill set a lot in a short period of time.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Emery was nearly flawless at the WJSS. I went shift by shift for the first game and came to that conclusion, and did the same for his second game and he was even better. His slot-defense IQ is off the charts. Team USA would be smart to add him as a situational RHD for the PK and late/close. Hensler also was outstanding defensively but has the on-the-puck advantage, so it may come down to who else is picked and how the staff wants to execute a game plan.

The Miller comparisons need to stop. Emery is more advanced at this stage.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
In no world do I see Emery as a top pairing guy in the NHL. K'Andre has more offensive ability since he played forward for most of his career and K'Andre is a borderline 2nd pairing D who brings very little offense.

They are both similar style defensemen and I'd argue both lack the acceleration (first 3 steps) to ever compete against top line players in the NHL.

Miller can be atrocious defensively and soft to boot. Emery is neither. The only thing stopping Emery from being the regular NYR 2D is that Fox is a righty and needs a LHD to cover for him, pushing Emery to 3D or 4D.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah, I don’t see the comparisons to Miller that much either. Like sure, they have a few attributes that are similar (skating, biracial skin color, good overall athletes that played multiple sports, and that they are defense first), but it pretty much ends there.

Emery is going to have a lot of competition for a spot on the WJC team. I don’t think there are a lot of RHD spots locked up, but there are a lot of similar level candidates.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Yeah, I don’t see the comparisons to Miller that much either. Like sure, they have a few attributes that are similar (skating, biracial skin color, good overall athletes that played multiple sports, and that they are defense first), but it pretty much ends there.

Emery is going to have a lot of competition for a spot on the WJC team. I don’t think there are a lot of RHD spots locked up, but there are a lot of similar level candidates.
Decent chance Emery doesn't make the 2025 World Junior roster (unless he's incredible off the bat at UND) but makes the 2026 World Junior roster.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Decent chance Emery doesn't make the 2025 World Junior roster (unless he's incredible off the bat at UND) but makes the 2026 World Junior roster.
Yeah, he'll probably be on that one.

The current one he's competing with Minnetian, McCarthy, Hensler, Pitner, and Kleber for probably 3 spots. I guess it's possible for 2 or 4 spots also.

He could very well win a spot. I think it's wide open, but thats a lot of players for not that many spots and some of them are going to get left off.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Yeah, he'll probably be on that one.

The current one he's competing with Minnetian, McCarthy, Hensler, Pitner, and Kleber for probably 3 spots. I guess it's possible for 2 or 4 spots also.

He could very well win a spot. I think it's wide open, but thats a lot of players for not that many spots and some of them are going to get left off.
I came to post the opposite. Unless they plan on taking 5 left shot defenseman, I think Emery makes the team by default. USA lacks quality right shot defenseman after Hensler and Minnetian. I wouldn't take any of the others you mention.

To me a 3rd pairing of Hutson-Emery is a no brainer. They played well together at the U18s and with them you get your 2nd powerplay qb and best penalty killer.

Reactions: Michael Farkas

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I came to post the opposite. Unless they plan on taking 5 left shot defenseman, I think Emery makes the team by default. USA lacks quality right shot defenseman after Hensler and Minnetian. I wouldn't take any of the others you mention.

To me a 3rd pairing of Hutson-Emery is a no brainer. They played well together at the U18s and with them you get your 2nd powerplay qb and best penalty killer.
I don’t see it as likely that both Hensler and Emery make it. Too young of a right side. Or at least I don’t see both making it if they take only three. I think it’s likely Gavin McCarthy will make it. Should be top four this year for BU and worked his way up a very deep defense last year on a great team.

Then I see Emery, Hensler, Kleber, and Pitner competing for 1/2 spots, at most. I think Hensler is looking unlikely. He hasn’t done that great the past year. I think it might be in that order right now of likelihood to make it.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
I think Emery makes the team by default. USA lacks quality right shot defenseman after Hensler
Yeah, this is where I'm at, with an intentional truncation of that sentence. Especially after Emery's performance at the U18s - which is maybe the best he looked all year - he'd have to be a disaster to start next season to not make it, I'd think...

Reactions: 95snipes

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
I don’t see it as likely that both Hensler and Emery make it. Too young of a right side. Or at least I don’t see both making it if they take only three. I think it’s likely Gavin McCarthy will make it. Should be top four this year for BU and worked his way up a very deep defense last year on a great team.

Then I see Emery, Hensler, Kleber, and Pitner competing for 1/2 spots, at most. I think Hensler is looking unlikely. He hasn’t done that great the past year. I think it might be in that order right now of likelihood to make it.
Unless he bombs in early NCAA action, I can't see how they don't take Hensler. He looked very good at the showcase and should be one of the better defenders on the team after Buium. He can skate, move the puck, and play in any situation.

None of the others are appealing options to me. I don't know McCarthy's game quite as well, but always feels like less than the sum of the parts with him. Kleber has poor gaps and can't make a breakout pass. Pitner will play in front of Carle so he has that going for him. But if you want that style of defender, why would you not take Emery who is bigger, a better skater, has the pedigree, and is just simply better?

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Yeah, this is where I'm at, with an intentional truncation of that sentence. Especially after Emery's performance at the U18s - which is maybe the best he looked all year - he'd have to be a disaster to start next season to not make it, I'd think...
Fair with Minnetian. I'm not crazy about him, but he was the extra defenseman last year so you'd think they'll take him this year.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Personally I think the US would be crazy not to take Emery to the WJC this year. He has a clear role as the shutdown guy, where he excelled at the U18. Hensler has higher upside but I don't think his role would be as clear as Emery and I'm not convinced he's better than Emery right now.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst

Agree. Based on watching the WJSS and factoring in Fortescue, here's how I see it. I bolded the playmakers and underlined the bigs. Last year's team had playmakers on every pairing (Buium, L. Hutson, Casey, Rinzel) and that seems to be the U.S. formula for all their gold-medal teams, so that may not bode well for Emery since they likely carry seven defenders and need a pure PPQB in case Buium is hurt or runs out of gas.

It may come down to wanting a righty with skill to add balance and Hensler has that over Emery. But you have to figure the opposition will want to cause chaos in Augustine's crease area since they can't beat him cleanly, which is where Emery has the clear advantage over pretty much every righty outside of McCarthy.

LD
Buium-Lock
Fortescue-Lock
Schulz-Likely
C. Hutson-Bubble
P. Fischer-Bubble
Strathmann-Bubble

RD
Minnetian-Lock
McCarthy-Likely
Emery-Bubble
Hensler-Bubble