Roster Building XXII: Too Many Forwards, Hopefully One Cup

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
On the flip side, I think they'll be one of the more dangerous teams off the rush this year.
Which is fine in the regular season, but in the playoffs when good teams lock down defensively, you need guys who can break down a back check and score from the cycle, and that has always been our biggest weakness and it might be even moreso this year than last.

Until we permanently address this, our offense will continue to go dormant against teams that hang back to take away our transition game

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Ghost Burns would be pretty badass too name wise but I don’t think they’ll likely play together. I think they likely settle into

Slavin Burns
Orlov Ghost
Walker Chatfield

Maybe flipping walker and ghost depending on the situation
Slavin - Ghost
Slavin fills in the defensive gaps in Ghosts game

Orlov - Walker
High potential 2nd pairing

Chatty - Burns
Chatty speed covers Burns aging decline, reduces Burns TOI

PP1:
Orlov

PP2:
Ghost

PK1:
Slavin - Burns

PK2
Walker - Chatfield

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
Hedley_Lamarr_Ditto.gif

TheBigLetowski

Jul 31, 2016
Jumping the gun here, but I'm already thinking of the offseason of 2025 and how this team may look with rumored cap potentially rising another 4+ mil. With Canes having "Core" guys locked up and I think 9 F 4D, 1G signed through next year. Before any additions they could have almost 27 mil to spend. Am I wrong in thinking that is a good chunk? Be nice to me!

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Jumping the gun here, but I'm already thinking of the offseason of 2025 and how this team may look with rumored cap potentially rising another 4+ mil. With Canes having "Core" guys locked up and I think 9 F 4D, 1G signed through next year. Before any additions they could have almost 27 mil to spend. Am I wrong in thinking that is a good chunk? Be nice to me!
The money could be there, will a top line guy be there? That is the question. Marner looks like the most probable. While he is a talent we don’t have, he isn’t the power guy we covet.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
100% And I guess depending on KK do we actually get a 2C?
Tavares us there on a short term deal. That is about it. There will be a couple of OGWAC as well who may be available.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see us target Ehlers as insurance for Necas walking / trading necas next offseason because he doesn’t want to stay long term

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Tavares us there on a short term deal. That is about it. There will be a couple of OGWAC as well who may be available.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see us target Ehlers as insurance for Necas walking / trading necas next offseason because he doesn’t want to stay long term

If the Canes and Necas don't mend things by next offseason, I see them making a huge push for Marner, Verhaeghe, or Ehlers and finding a trade match for Necas. There is a chance where Winnipeg falls out of contention and the Canes go ahead and trade for Ehlers at the deadline. I also think Tavares stays in Toronto at about half his current AAV. It feels like the Leafs are going to try a Tanev-type of contract by adding years to lower the cap hit. In that case, I see the Canes targeting Giroux and/or Brock Nelson for high-dollar/short-term.

Last edited:

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Mikko Rantanen...MAKE IT HAPPEN CANES!!!

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I think Rantanen is a pipe dream. The Avs will get it done, and it will just compromise the rest of their roster. He is just as important to their team as MacKinnon.

It's possible Verhaeghe could shake loose, but that's also unlikely.

The more likely outcome is we take a pretty good player from one of these teams who make a monster re-signing, and get good value out of the trade. We're still a contending team but we have capspace and room to fit you in. I see us definitely going more forward than defense. We don't have much spots on D unless Morrow or Nikishin are part of that trade package.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Kaprizov’s future will be a key storyline leaguewide in 2025. As a 2026 UFA on a team largely stuck in the mid, the threat of wanting to move on to a big market/Florida and/or chase a cup is real.
The real reason the Canes have been drafting/signing all the Russians.

The next reverse retro going to be the ‘72 Smmit Series “CCCP” jersey

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Kaprizov’s future will be a key storyline leaguewide in 2025. As a 2026 UFA on a team largely stuck in the mid, the threat of wanting to move on to a big market/Florida and/or chase a cup is real.

I'm not as bullish about Kaprizov leaving Minnesota as many are. There's a rather large sea of very highly-touted prospects in the Wild system that hasn't gotten NHL playing time just yet. I'm especially high on Yurov and Ohgren as scorers.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The real reason the Canes have been drafting/signing all the Russians.

The next reverse retro going to be the ‘72 Smmit Series “CCCP” jersey
When I first moved to NC, I helped coach a summer league Squirt team in Raleigh Youth Hockey. There weren't as many kids back then for summer leagues so had all the travel kids and house kids play together and they tried to divide up the kids so that each team would have a similar roster and they gave each team a colored jersey so there was a Yellow team, blue team, etc.. and our Jerseys were red. We struggled early as we were the only team without a goalie so if another team's goalie couldn't sub for us, we had to use a skater that wanted to play goalie, always the same kid though.

About 4 games into the season, one of the kids says "We need a name for our team", so we coaches came up with the "Red Army" and allowed every kid to pick a name of a player off the 1980 Olympic Red Army team to put on his jersey, since they had all recently seen Miracle. Kids really got into it and the kid who had Mikailov even put the K on the front of his jersey.

One game, a ref came over to the bench early in the first and said "Boy, your kids sure do have some unusual names." I said "Take a closer look" as he skated away and you could tell when it dawned on him because a few minutes later he broke out laughing on the ice.

That team ended up winning the season championship and to this day, if I run into some of these kids, now in their late 20s, they still bring up the Red Army. Was probably one of the most fun times I ever had coaching.

Last edited:

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
Seeing the umpteen millionth 'gibson on the block' thread on the main board triggered a thought...

It would be very canesy to pick up a heavily retained gibson next offseason to serve a pk insurance / 1b.

I don't want it, but at the same time mrazek, reimer, and freddie have all rehabbed their reputations here to varying degrees.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I wouldn't at all be surprised if we are looking at a big trade or a sign and trade to bring in someone next year that might not necessarily be on the radar now. Lots of cap room to spend, a glut of prospects that could play on other teams. Feels like if we were ever going to make a big splash for a long term fix up front its next summer.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Kaprizov would be a great target if he's willing to come here for like 11M or less. But I see him wanting closer to what Drai just got (which is too much for him as great as he is), and I don't see him leaving MN either.

I'm not going to get overly excited about our cap space, yes we're in great cap position and maybe an opportunity presents itself in FA/trade, but I think we'll wind up using that on short term deals and saving some for our own guys down the road. Wouldn't surprise me to see Orlov kept around past next year, Necas will need a new deal in 2 years, Nikishin will probably get a big contract relatively quickly, and other prospects we have who will hopefully step into our lineup like Nadeau, Morrow, Blake, etc. will need contracts sooner than we think.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
We go into this season with this eval

1RD: How does walker and chatty do next season? can those 2 handle the beef of hard minutes with Slavin babysitting Morrow? How does Morrow look overall? How is Burns' age regression?
We either roll with Morrow, keep Burns, or go shopping for a RHD depending on those answers

C: what to do with the position with KK, Drury, and Staal all playing the same role and Staal age regression? If in fact KK doesnt look like 2nd half 22-23 KK again.

G: Is pyotr the guy or isnt he?

Who is the best player we can get to make the biggest impact to the roster?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad