Roster Building XXII: Too Many Forwards, Hopefully One Cup

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
We still have options to make the team better.

We can bridge jarvis and still acquire Ehlers or lower cap hit.

We can sign Jarvis long term and LTIR or not LTIR Fast while keeping the roster the same. Have anywhere from 2.4 to more than 4 million in cap space (Jarvis’ cap hit will be the deciding factor).

Still some interesting names out there.

Lorentz
T Johnson (dude can provide depth scoring and R FO numbers)
Zadina
Labanc (if we are looking for a 4th line goal scorer).

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
We still have options to make the team better.

We can bridge jarvis and still acquire Ehlers or lower cap hit.

We can sign Jarvis long term and LTIR or not LTIR Fast while keeping the roster the same. Have anywhere from 2.4 to more than 4 million in cap space (Jarvis’ cap hit will be the deciding factor).

Still some interesting names out there.

Lorentz
T Johnson (dude can provide depth scoring and R FO numbers)
Zadina
Labanc (if we are looking for a 4th line goal scorer).
I bet we do see a PTO for sure.

I would be somewhat surprised to see Jarvis bridged, but if they have a late offseason trade in the hopper, that may have to be done.

Zadina and Kubalik interest me in terms of PTOs. If one of them (or another vet invite) impresses in camp, giving them a league min salary shouldn’t hinder then getting Jarvis done at 8yrs.

Would friggin love it if they could add Ehlers, but at what price?

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
I bet we do see a PTO for sure.

I would be somewhat surprised to see Jarvis bridged, but if they have a late offseason trade in the hopper, that may have to be done.

Zadina and Kubalik interest me in terms of PTOs. If one of them (or another vet invite) impresses in camp, giving them a league min salary shouldn’t hinder then getting Jarvis done at 8yrs.

Would friggin love it if they could add Ehlers, but at what price?
it would be expensive (1st plus a top prospect). we would have to be up for keeping him long term to make it worth it.

Reactions: DaveG

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Reading between the lines, we like our group, Jarvis like back at 7.5m for 7 years and the prospects get a chance to make the team. Likely banking cap space for the deadline till then. My guess Fast spot is open for competition, Lemuix 13th forward

I'll say that Jarvis gets an identical contract to Svech, 8x$7.75M AAV.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Only room for a 775k D so Morrow won’t be on the team unless they go 12F
There's Fast's LTIR that can be utilized. Morrow shouldn't be on the team as a 7th D anyhow.

EDIT: From what I can tell, the Canes are now at $87,225,000 with:

14 Forwards (including FAST)
6 D
2 G

Canes are allowed to exceed the cap by Fast's $2.4M if they so chose, so they can bring up a 7th defenseman if they want to, but I suspect they won't, because you can't bank cap space if you are using the LTIR overage.

Last edited:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
The Canes, barring unforeseen injuries, likely will wait to place Fast on LTIR until after the trade deadline. It's possible that they go big-game hunting again, depending on the guys that are available.

These are truly the times to be a Canes fan. The Canes are almost certain to have a core five of Aho, Slavin, Svech, Jarvis, and Nikishin until the next decade. If Kotkaniemi can rebound from a poor offensive season, he's potentially the sixth core piece. If Kochetkov takes another step and becomes a true 1G, maybe he also sneaks into the discussion as a long-term Cane.

Last edited:

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I don’t see all 3 of Jost, Robinson and Lemieux on the opening day roster, so with that space, there’s a good bit of wiggle room to keep a rookie forward up and a 7D.

I still have my doubts on a rookie making the team out of the gate, so I’m semi-expecting them to make another signing, like Zadina or Kubalik-type at league minimum.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
We'll see, but I don't expect to see him in Raleigh much. Just seems like a Patrick Brown kinda guy.
....with more size and speed. He was originally touted as having a good shot too. Lots of injuries helped derail things, but he's never lived up to expectations. Still size and speed seem important for this team this season given we don't have a lot of the former. We'll see what happens....I am pretty sure Jost ends up in Chicago. He's pretty "meh" in my book.
The Canes, barring unforeseen injuries, likely will wait to place Fast on LTIR until after the trade deadline.
I think I read some where they have no intention of using LTIR so they can accrue cap space.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I think I read some where they have no intention of using LTIR so they can accrue cap space.
They will until they see an opportunity that requires that extra $2.4M. The longer they wait into the season, the more space they have accrued to add to that $2.4M.

So they might use the LTIR space at the deadline as the last chance they have to use accrued space.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'm not that versed in the CBA, but why does it matter if he's on LTIR or not? If the Canes are below the cap by 775k (which includes FAST), can't they accrue cap space whether he's on LTIR or not? Isn't it only when we exceed the cap utilizing LTIR that we can't accrue?

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
I'm not that versed in the CBA, but why does it matter if he's on LTIR or not? If the Canes are below the cap by 775k (which includes FAST), can't they accrue cap space whether he's on LTIR or not? Isn't it only when we exceed the cap utilizing LTIR that we can't accrue?
So cap space that is accrued is basically worth x 4 at the deadline. Even a 775k is worth 3 million at the deadline. that 775k includes a 14th forward on the roster. We can waive yost and double that to be worth 6 million at the deadline. it would likely be a little shorter of that as guys are called up for various reasons.

If we choose to LTIR Fast the math gets more complicated. So we would have to bring up another min contract to maximize space. Send them both down to accumulate that space. But it doesn’t compound.

No LTIR: compound of 1.5 million to 6 million.

LTIR: Fast 2.4 million + 1.5 million or close to it. 4.9 million.

Of course minus how many days stillman or others are added to the roster will alter the math some.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Maybe this will be an unpopular opinion, but if the Canes bow out of the playoffs empty-handed again and if Burns is still a good defensemen by the end of the year, I could see him returning for relatively cheap next year in order to have another shot at the Cup. I really think it's a goal of his to go out on top as long as his play holds up, with an added bonus that he could pair with Nikishin and mentor him for a full season. Maybe they can move the more slick-skating Walker to pair with Slavin for a year and give Nikishin the wily veteran sage to work with. One added bonus of a cheaper-than-usual top-4 is that they could use that cap space to splurge hard (at least short-term) on forwards.

Last edited:

TheBigLetowski

Jul 31, 2016
Dundon is now cash strapped.

Attachments

• IMG_4859.jpeg
    IMG_4859.jpeg
    127.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4860.jpeg
    IMG_4860.jpeg
    241 KB · Views: 5

Ad