Roster Building XX: How Many Patents Does Your GM Have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
If we are fishing for a big FA move we are either playing ELCs when they aren’t ready, getting old league minimum depth guys, and/or finding players teams will retain on in other deals

Unless they are making a singular choice between Guentzel/Necas/maybe Reinhart. Then they don't need to compromise the depth as much. I think that based on the way that the Canes normally build rosters, they have room for one of Guentzel or Necas and one of Skjei or Pesce. I would not be surprised if the Canes choose Pesce over Skjei so that the right side remains solid for the foreseeable future.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I don't see how moving Necas asap makes sense unless it's a really good offer. Keeping him as an own rental isn't the end of the world
thinking about it I do wonder if there really was something to the buzz about Tkachuck wanting out and the Sens shut it down so as not to screw up their negotiating position. That's one situation where I do think the Canes moving on from Necas, and Guentzel now leaning towards testing the UFA market both check out for the same reason.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Do the Blues trade Kyrou for a package with Necas? I know Kyrou has just as many defensive issues as Necas, possibly more. But that moves from Necas to a 30 goal scorer signed for 6 more years, when he's only 32.
.....and you lose next to no speed by trading out Necas for Kyrou. Thought, however, there might be an attitudinal thing with him.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
thinking about it I do wonder if there really was something to the buzz about Tkachuck wanting out and the Sens shut it down so as not to screw up their negotiating position. That's one situation where I do think the Canes moving on from Necas, and Guentzel now leaning towards testing the UFA market both check out for the same reason.

That seems pretty conspiratorial to me. Ottawa is a team that has thought for years that they were on the verge of making the playoffs. Trading Tkachuk would go directly against this goal.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
It's interesting to me about just how inconsistent the Necas rumors truly are. I wonder if the Canes want to keep him over even Guentzel, potentially, but are uncertain about whether the other side is willing to agree with them on a long-term extension because of Necas' desires to become a center and the long-held belief within his camp that he can be a star player outside of Brind'Amour's system. I will say that if the Necas camp truly wants out of Carolina, the FO needs to make sure that at least one star offensive player is locked in either through UFA (Guentzel or Reinhart, maybe even Stamkos if it's a shorter deal) or through a Necas return. No way will the Canes trade Necas in a way that downgrades their team at the start of the season.

Last edited:

ElmCityGuy

Apr 20, 2023
A guy I work with has a brother that is a big Canes fan.. season tickets and takes in a few road games every year. I asked him what he was expecting the roster would look like next season.. of the 19 that started the last game against the Rangers how many would start the first game next season.. after looking at the lines from the last game he said 11.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Is Pagnotta and co, but lots of Canes stuff in this:

Most interesting bit to me was when they talk about the Flyers and their potential offer for Necas (Farabee) and the Canes not being interested.

That’s encouraging at least in terms of them not dealing him for a lesser player, with term, + pick/prospect
They made a comment that sounds like jest but was said half seriously that Dundon wants to be GM. Talks about how he calls the agents sometimes. Also talks about how Tulsky and Dundon have a strong relationship.

Also said they haven’t had trade talks with anyone about Necas and they want to try to sign him first. Says Necas himself may not believe the system lets him get to his ceiling.

Said Carter Hart was a goalie target for us prior to his issues. Said Freddie won’t be back after this coming season (shocker).

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011

LeBrun’s reporting on Guentzel mirrors Pagnotta’s.

Knowing that, I personally think the Canes should wait on making any move with Necas until they know officially that they have either Guentzel or one of the big RHCs in UFA like Lindholm locked in, but what do I know? Trading Necas without knowing the fate of their biggest re-signing target is risky as hell.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Losing both 59 & 88 plus Skjei and re-signing Pesce sets the franchise back years. If the Division wasn’t so weak I’d say as one fighting for a playoff spot. A lot of moving pieces and if “the collective” doesn’t get it right than ‘24-‘25 could mirror ‘07-‘08.

Still a roster problem if Necas stays (he is not a C nor ever should be one) since we would still be missing a high end forward.

Perhaps the biggest issue is having a declining Staal (he is heading towards expensive as a $2.8 “4th” line C), a very disappointing KK and a higher cost Orlov using up over $15.3M this upcoming year.

That’s a bad allocation of spend for an organization that prides itself on being smart.

Btw: Don’t want Lindholm nor another reclamation project in Laine as replacements either.

Btw2: DW exited side door left at the right time for maintaining his professional reputation.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Knowing that, I personally think the Canes should wait on making any move with Necas until they know officially that they have either Guentzel or one of the big RHCs in UFA like Lindholm locked in, but what do I know? Trading Necas without knowing the fate of their biggest re-signing target is risky as hell.
I wonder if they are concerned that Necas will seek out an offer sheet. It’s a risk for Necas as Carolina could match and he’s back here and cannot be traded for a year, and I question whether anyone would give Necas what he wants on an offer sheet deal. But the possibility is out there if this goes past July 1.

Reactions: Daeavorn

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
This team can’t get over the hump with their core

&

If we don’t bring guys back we’ll be setting ourselves back years

The duality of sports fandom
Yea, if you're not damn sure you're landing a Guentz or Reinhart, then you pretty much have to keep Necas or you're taking a HUGE step back offensively

Both statements can be true, we're not getting over the hump obviously with the current group so you have to change things up, but if you're not replacing them with something equivalent/better you're taking a step back

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yea, if you're not damn sure you're landing a Guentz or Reinhart, then you pretty much have to keep Necas or you're taking a HUGE step back offensively
Guentzel wasn’t on the team for most of the year, a team that had one of the best records in the NHL at the time.

It’s Not until we see who they replace them with that we can declare it a huge step back. Losing Dougie was considered a huge step back at the time, but it wasn’t. Trading a 1st for Skjei was viewed as a terrible move at the time, but now we desperately need to keep him. “Who is going to score goals?” Was the fear when Lindholm and Skinner were traded, yet it worked out.

Not all moves worked out (KK, Bunting, etc..) but I’m confident the front office will make some moves and signings.
Both statements can be true, we're not getting over the hump obviously with the current group so you have to change things up, but if you're not replacing them with something equivalent/better you're taking a step back
That’s the point though, we don’t know who they are replacing them with to declare it a step back at this point.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I wonder if they are concerned that Necas will seek out an offer sheet. It’s a risk for Necas as Carolina could match and he’s back here and cannot be traded for a year, and I question whether anyone would give Necas what he wants on an offer sheet deal. But the possibility is out there if this goes past July 1.
I don’t think that is much of a threat

Any offer sheet would be within match range. Its very unlikely a team goes 8+ million in an AAV

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I don’t think that is much of a threat

Any offer sheet would be within match range. Its very unlikely a team goes 8+ million in an AAV
If its 7 mil with most of the actual $ up front Dundon might just take the picks. It was one thing with Aho but I’m not sure he’d be down with fronting a guy a ton of cash that they were perfectly willing to trade.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
If its 7 mil with most of the actual $ up front Dundon might just take the picks. It was one thing with Aho but I’m not sure he’d be down with fronting a guy a ton of cash that they were perfectly willing to trade.
really? who says we are perfectly willing to trade him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad