Roster Building XX: How Many Patents Does Your GM Have?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
Tulsky's going to revolutionize the GM position by ignoring other GMs and talking directly to scouts/other analytic departments. He's going to bring out his spreadsheet and compare them with their own and say "Here's why we're trading Necas, and here's why you want to acquire Necas. Here's his expected value on your team. Talk to your GM to make an offer of that value."
AI meet hockey.

hockey: hold my beer egghead.

• Haha
Reactions: Chrispy

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Settle down Galadriel.
images.jpg

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Why? because he is a LD?
that's only part of it. 30, wrong side for what we need, not good defensively, only signed for 2 more years so not a long-term piece. Just not a good fit for what Carolina needs. We could easily just bring back TDA to fill the same role but on the side that we need, at a lower price (mostly just because he's TDA), without having to give up Necas to do it.

Reactions: Stickpucker

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
I don't get the obsession with many wanting to keep Necas. He's already stupidly frustrating at $3M a year, what makes any of you think he's going to be any less frustrating at $7-8M a year?

It's time to cut ties. Doubly so considering RBA is here for another 5 years.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I don't get the obsession with many wanting to keep Necas. He's already stupidly frustrating at $3M a year, what makes any of you think he's going to be any less frustrating at $7-8M a year?

Amen. He's not a $7m player. Not even close. Let somebody else make that mistake.

Or let him try to find an offer sheet, then laugh manically when he can't find a team willing to pay him big money when it turns out that nobody actually wants a guy who thinks that his brand of pond hockey is actually welcomed by any coach in the NHL.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

Oh you missed it. The current argument is now about his trade value because we want someone much better back in trade so the mood has changed to propping Necas up because he’s amazeballs and worth everything in a trade.

I do wish we found a way to keep him but he gone and I agree everyone who struggled with him will only struggle more if he stays.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Oh you missed it. The current argument is now about his trade value because we want someone much better back in trade so the mood has changed to propping Necas up because he’s amazeballs and worth everything in a trade.

I do wish we found a way to keep him but he gone and I agree everyone who struggled with him will only struggle more if he stays.
Because GMs do all their due diligence on a player by reading internet comments?

Lord, I shudder to think about how stir crazy we're going to get when we're deep into August and the offseason news is deader than dead.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Because GMs do all their due diligence on a player by reading internet comments?

Lord, I shudder to think about how stir crazy we're going to get when we're deep into August and the offseason news is deader than dead.
Hell, we'll still be trying to fill out our roster with bargain bin UFA replacements for the guys we didn't/couldn't sign. August is going to be amazing!:sarcasm:

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

yep, I'm pretty sure that you and me are the only two defenders of the guy on this board at this point. I mean f***, I still want to see us try him at C, so I don't blame you guys for wondering about my sanity at this point.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

??

I don’t get it. He said he’d be glad to get rid of Necas which is in line with much of the board, and I made a joke referencing us on the main board arguing that he has actually had a ton of value.

Remparts666

Feb 11, 2021
he’s 30, he doesn’t know how to play defense, the Canes already have Burns and Morrow and Orlov as offensively minded D, a dozen other teams will have more interesting offers…shall I go on?
that's only part of it. 30, wrong side for what we need, not good defensively, only signed for 2 more years so not a long-term piece. Just not a good fit for what Carolina needs. We could easily just bring back TDA to fill the same role but on the side that we need, at a lower price (mostly just because he's TDA), without having to give up Necas to do it.
I do not agree with the Matheson does not know to play defense argument, but we dont need to agree. I do see him as a reliable top 4 with great offense, clearly in his prime, signed really cheap for two more years. I thought this might be a fit for the "win now" mode Canes are right now with the tight cap situation, but I am also aware of the 2 great LD you have already signed for next year.

Thanks DaveG for you sound response even though I think putting TDA in the same sentence with Matheson is kind of insulting to Mike. As for Spock, you should go on because there is no substance in your post. I'm a proud fantasy owner of Scott Morrow, I fail to see how he can possibly help winning a cup in the next two years (I assume it is the goal right?) Dozens more competitive offers than Matheson and a 1st round pick is a bold statement lol. We'll see. Adios!

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
yep, I'm pretty sure that you and me are the only two defenders of the guy on this board at this point. I mean f***, I still want to see us try him at C, so I don't blame you guys for wondering about my sanity at this point.
I’d love to see him get a shot at the middle for sure. I know the board has mostly turned against him and now we’re focusing on what we could get back. It’s going to be interesting to see how it all plays out, especially if we don’t get an offer we like and we hesitate to move him.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Both things can be true:

- He's a flawed player that they'd ideally improve upon
- That improvement may not be out there and he's more attractive than the alternative of downgrading the skill level of the team

I feel like the Guentzel and Necas questions are related to each other. If the Canes can successfully get Guentzel signed, that opens up the possibility of a futures package for Necas. It's a lot tougher to do anything other than a player-for-player trade if Guentzel chooses to go elsewhere in UFA.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Amen. He's not a $7m player. Not even close. Let somebody else make that mistake.

Or let him try to find an offer sheet, then laugh manically when he can't find a team willing to pay him big money when it turns out that nobody actually wants a guy who thinks that his brand of pond hockey is actually welcomed by any coach in the NHL.
I said it before, and I'll say it again.

Necas will have more total points in the next 7 years than Guentzel. Does that make Necas better for Carolina right now? Maybe not, but Necas is going to take a huge step forward offensively and I would rather it be in Carolina than elsewhere.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I do not agree with the Matheson does not know to play defense argument, but we dont need to agree. I do see him as a reliable top 4 with great offense, clearly in his prime, signed really cheap for two more years. I thought this might be a fit for the "win now" mode Canes are right now with the tight cap situation, but I am also aware of the 2 great LD you have already signed for next year.

Thanks DaveG for you sound response even though I think putting TDA in the same sentence with Matheson is kind of insulting to Mike. As for Spock, you should go on because there is no substance in your post. I'm a proud fantasy owner of Scott Morrow, I fail to see how he can possibly help winning a cup in the next two years (I assume it is the goal right?) Dozens more competitive offers than Matheson and a 1st round pick is a bold statement lol. We'll see. Adios!
Buh bye now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad