Roster Building XX: How Many Patents Does Your GM Have?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I am most interested in who will be the new fall guy for the blame game if Necas, TT and KK depart. Svechy seems to be in the crosshairs in some parts.
My guess is the FO for letting Nachos and TT depart. Especially once Nachos starts putting up a 90 point season in a system that allows him to play something closer to his game with PP1 ice time.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
My guess is the FO for letting Nachos and TT depart. Especially once Nachos starts putting up a 90 point season in a system that allows him to play something closer to his game with PP1 ice time.
I'd be happy for him..sad for us..saw this on Twitter:

newteams.jpg

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I do not agree with the Matheson does not know to play defense argument, but we dont need to agree. I do see him as a reliable top 4 with great offense, clearly in his prime, signed really cheap for two more years. I thought this might be a fit for the "win now" mode Canes are right now with the tight cap situation, but I am also aware of the 2 great LD you have already signed for next year.

Thanks DaveG for you sound response even though I think putting TDA in the same sentence with Matheson is kind of insulting to Mike. As for Spock, you should go on because there is no substance in your post. I'm a proud fantasy owner of Scott Morrow, I fail to see how he can possibly help winning a cup in the next two years (I assume it is the goal right?) Dozens more competitive offers than Matheson and a 1st round pick is a bold statement lol. We'll see. Adios!
Trust me, I'm by no means saying that they are on the same tier. Just that they'd have the same role here. Most of the guys that Montreal has who would likely interest the Canes won't be available. Rightly so. So it would have to be an overwhelming quantity offer to make it work if other teams are taking pieces like Andersson and Hronek as possibilities. I go back to the Trocheck trade to Carolina as a starting point in terms of quality/quantity and prospect fit.

Reactions: Remparts666

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
Trust me, I'm by no means saying that they are on the same tier. Just that they'd have the same role here. Most of the guys that Montreal has who would likely interest the Canes won't be available. Rightly so. So it would have to be an overwhelming quantity offer to make it work if other teams are taking pieces like Andersson and Hronek as possibilities. I go back to the Trocheck trade to Carolina as a starting point in terms of quality/quantity and prospect fit.
I'd do Mailloux plus Winnipeg's 1st. I think Logan is going to a very good player in this league.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I am most interested in who will be the new fall guy for the blame game if Necas, TT and KK depart. Svechy seems to be in the crosshairs in some parts.
Well, there's already plenty of folks who like to bitch about Jordo and his role. Burns started to take some heat this year. Svech is a bit of an easy target given the penalties and the fact we see a superstar out of him in only fits and starts. We know when Martinook returns he's an easy target for many. Goalies are a natural target for many. Orlov certainly has his, er, fans. There's always the possibility a Bunting-like addition that can be soured on. I don't think it's that hard to find candidates that segments of fans will latch onto. We're none of us immune to it.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Or he sticks around 70 points and a +/_ 0 and doesn't back check.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
With Guentzel and Necas up in the air, I wouldn’t be so sure about Tervainen being shown the door too. They may be more willing to keep him around now and he’s also much more likely to accept his assigned salary cap number from the Canes than the other UFAs to be, imo.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I said it before, and I'll say it again.

Necas will have more total points in the next 7 years than Guentzel. Does that make Necas better for Carolina right now? Maybe not, but Necas is going to take a huge step forward offensively and I would rather it be in Carolina than elsewhere.
I’m still in the keep him camp but of course as a fan subject to changing my view after his next dumb giveaway. Naturally a trade for an Ottawa’s Tkachuk and I’d quickly change my view on keeping him (Florida too of course).

FWIW: I thought he had a very influential Ranger series and even stepped up his physical play (showcasing for a future team, who knows but he was better).

Edit: I’d also pass on TT no matter the discount.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
With Guentzel and Necas up in the air, I wouldn’t be so sure about Tervainen being shown the door too. They may be more willing to keep him around now and he’s also much more likely to accept his assigned salary cap number from the Canes than the other UFAs to be, imo.

If the Canes decide to keep Skjei and Pesce, I wouldn't be against Teravainen staying over Necas or Guentzel, either. That would at least be an intentional direction to maintain the defensive excellence of the team over potentially over-paying for offense. I think the Canes are more likely to take a hybrid approach to the offseason, but that would at least be a viable and understandable direction.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
That would suck he’s run his course here with the canes too many games where you don’t even know he’s playing. Playoffs he had very little impact

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
I can’t see (or would hate to see) the scenario where we lose both Necas and Guentzel, unless Necas+ brings back a player like Brady Tkachuck.

I think talk about trading Necas for prospects and picks is nonsense. We are likely going to take a major step backwards, and may completely miss the playoffs if that happens and we lose Guentzel.

The FO probably wants to keep Necas around after listening to Guentzel’s contract demands and offers for Necas around the league, but at this point I doubt Necas wants to be here. He has been hearing his name in every trade rumor for the past 3 years, plus the rumors about his feelings that he is being held back in his role on his team. It’s unfortunate because I still think he can elevate his game here, and we will more than likely see him score a bunch of points somewhere else.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Free Zach Boychuk
I get what you're saying....counting eggs before they hatch....being too excited about young players, etc

That said Boychuk couldn't hold Necas jock.

Jordo will be there. Less so bc he isn't making as much now.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
There's a ton of solid UFA forwards available. If we strike out on Guentzel & trade Necas, I imagine we'll load up on a couple of 2nd line guys. Will be slightly disappointing, but I don't think we're going to end our playoff hopes.

Here's some solid names that are available.

Reinhart
E. Lindholm
Stamkos
Marchessault
Duchene
Monahan
Tarasenko
Mittelstadt
Toffoli
Stephenson
Henrique
Perron
Bertuzzi
Debrusk
P. Kane
Mantha
Duclair
Sprong

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
There's a ton of solid UFA forwards available. If we strike out on Guentzel & trade Necas, I imagine we'll load up on a couple of 2nd line guys. Will be slightly disappointing, but I don't think we're going to end our playoff hopes.

Here's some solid names that are available.

Reinhart
E. Lindholm
Stamkos
Marchessault
Duchene
Monahan
Tarasenko
Mittelstadt
Toffoli
Stephenson
Henrique
Perron
Bertuzzi
Debrusk
P. Kane
Mantha
Duclair
Sprong
Reinhart shot very high and had about 14 more goals than expected. great player but 10.5-11 million though?
Lindholm is aiming for fringe 1C pay when he is a 2C
Stamkos: i would be pretty surprised if he left TB.
Marchessault: dont know if he leaves VGK but that deal wont age well at all, he is already 33.5.
Duchene: too many red flags for that guy
Monahan: red flags too. too many injuries and fades in the playoffs
Tarasenko: not a style fit
Mittlestadt: he is an RFA
Toffoli: too slow for our style and fades in the playoffs. perimeter based player
Bertuzzi: middle six guy who couldnt look good on toronto
Debrusk: he would be an interesting choice. what debrusk do we get though? motivated or unmotivated?
Kane: pass, not effort defensively
Mantha: little effort on the ice. softest big guy.
Duclair hasnt dont much in the playoffs as the game gets tighter and he cant use his speed.
Stephenson: defense isnt great and isnt a shoot kind of player. He had just 4 more shots than Turbo this year. FOS are good but he is already 30.
Perron would be a PP addition but his 5v5 fit wouldnt be pretty bad.

honestly most of this list isnt good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad