Roster Building XX: How Many Patents Does Your GM Have?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
All Canes talk all the time:

Sean Walker mentioned as a potential target

The last bullet point is interesting to the current discussion - Pagnotta says the Canes have told some teams they don’t want to deal Necas and have engaged in trade talks with other teams.

Tulsky double-speak as it were

And she told me she had to care for her sick grandmother, but then she was tagged on instagram at trivia?!

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Buffalo could be an interesting fit for necas. They need to start turning some prospects and picks into proven nhl guys. They have a loaded prospect pool

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

I imagine wonder boy would be happy.

Already having rings leaves a lot of doors open as well.

"Guentzel is a Midwestern guy, Chicago is a Midwestern city"

We gotta start producing some Southern hockey players so when they become UFAs the narrative becomes "Brayden Smith is a Southern guy and Carolina is a Southern team, lots of interest I'm told".

Of course it would help if "Brayden Smith" happened to be a really desirable UFA.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Buffalo could be an interesting fit for necas. They need to start turning some prospects and picks into proven nhl guys. They have a loaded prospect pool
It's not like they've had a top 10 pick 10 of the last 11 years or something.

Reactions: DaveG

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

If Ullmark is the main piece coming back in the Necas deal, that'd be highly disappointing. He's not any better than Freddie, doesn't perform well in the playoffs.

Based on the rest of the conversation they are just saying that guess makes sense because we asked about ullmark at the deadline. The vibe was just speculation not that the conversation has been had.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Chicago makes sense if the Guentzel camp just wants the absolute grossest overpayment possible in UFA. If that's the case, more power to him. I have no problem with that.
I thought he was a gamer and wanted to win. If so, Chicago doesn’t make sense and a lot of losing for at least for next few years.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
I thought he was a gamer and wanted to win. If so, Chicago doesn’t make sense and a lot of losing for at least for next few years.
I think JG is going to July 1st to decide if he wants more money or to win more. Gotta see how big the money difference is between the winners and the losers. Problem is the 8 year option goes away midnight on the 30th.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC

I think, in the end, it'll come down to winning in Carolina or a king's ransom in Chicago. Because he does have those Crosby/Malkin Cups, it will be a hard choice, but there's certainly some appeal, I think, to prove that he can win championships in his own right.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I think JG is going to July 1st to decide if he wants more money or to win more. Gotta see how big the money difference is between the winners and the losers. Problem is the 8 year option goes away midnight on the 30th.
Isn't there window opening a couple of days before July 1 when pending UFAs are allowed to discuss with other teams?

I wss looking into combining a post about important off-season dates (1st buyout period etc), but finding out things like these w/ the exact dates for 2024 make it difficult.

Reactions: DaveG

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Players care much more about AAV than total contract value. "Getting that extra year" simply doesn't matter to a guy who fully expects that he'll be playing that extra year regardless. People here were really talking themselves into the idea that Guentzel would sign for a lot less AAV over 8 years than if he had a 7 year deal. That was always absurd.

Isn't there window opening a couple of days before July 1 when pending UFAs are allowed to discuss with other teams?

I wss looking into combining a post about important off-season dates (1st buyout period etc), but finding out things like these w/ the exact dates for 2024 make it difficult.
Not anymore, they got rid of the negotiation week for NHL reasons. It was working great, so they got rid of it.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Not anymore, they got rid of the negotiation week for NHL reasons. It was working great, so they got rid of it.
Well. They probably don't need it as everyone seem to magically know anyway who would be getting what where and the signed extremely detailed contracts start dropping 5 minutes into the Free Agency.

I guess at least the Seravallis can't ruin it for everyone by reporting the results prior the Free Agency shows if there can't be leaks from discussions because such discussions are non-existent by order.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017

It doesn’t exist anymore but it still happens. Instead of talking officially, agents and teams talk in hypotheticals now.

Hey bob (agent) if you had a 70 point winger what would you ask for on the market? Do you think that winger would accept these terms? What kind of salary and bonus structure would that player be looking for?

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Players care much more about AAV than total contract value. "Getting that extra year" simply doesn't matter to a guy who fully expects that he'll be playing that extra year regardless. People here were really talking themselves into the idea that Guentzel would sign for a lot less AAV over 8 years than if he had a 7 year deal. That was always absurd.

I don’t know if I could disagree more. Total contract value is always more important. You think a 30 year old is going to sacrifice money to take a bet that he will still be playing at 38? Players want to increase their length in which they earn money. If not players wouldn’t accept anything more than short term deals. At some point in each career they take the maximum amount of money available to ensure they get theirs in case of injury

Its why you see more and more players deferring money in baseball. They get paid years after they stop playing.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'll be surprised if the Canes re-sign Guentzel. I'm not saying there is no chance, but given how the Canes have operated, I don't see it for 2 reasons.
1) They don't like signing guys his age to long term deals.
2) They have a different valuation on players than the rest of the league. Guentzel won't need to get a King's Ransom (although some team may offer him that), because I suspect the Canes offer won't be competitive enough.

I'm not criticizing the Canes, nor saying this is a bad thing, but until they change their MO, I'm skeptical of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad