Roster Building XX: How Many Patents Does Your GM Have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigLetowski

Jul 31, 2016
Maybe Don saw the total cluster that was about to happen so he took the first available train out of Dodge.
As far as DW goes. Should I be surprised that he will have no restrictions during the draft with Columbus? I guess any info he would have could be as simple as him filling in his new staff on who are in our crosshairs.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Premier rentals like Duchene, Hall and Horvat returned 1sts from bubble teams. Nothing sent back approaches that type of asset in value.

That trade was such a no-brainer, regardless of a how the season played out or his long-term future, that a reported philosophically opposed management group had to pull the trigger on it. It was the right time for a splash and they had the depth to do it.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Premier rentals like Duchene, Hall and Horvat returned 1sts from bubble teams. Nothing sent back approaches that type of asset in value.

That trade was such a no-brainer, regardless of a how the season played out or his long-term future, that a reported philosophically opposed management group had to pull the trigger on it. It was the right time for a splash and they had the depth to do it.
And honestly watching GAJ tear it up was incredibly fun and exciting, I can't remember the last time we had a single line that was THAT dangerous on the ice together...a legit dominant first line

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC

What made it even more of a no-brainer is that it dumped 2 years of $4.5M AAV of cap space long before it could even become a potential problem. For a group that likes weaponizing cap space every offseason, there were too many good things about that trade even if Guentzel was only a rental (I hope not, but the Canes admittedly have a narrow definition of what a "core" player is).

Last edited:

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
My question is, do other contenders have such a difficult time retaining players or getting players to want to play for them? Obviously, everyone wants to play for the Rangers, but even teams like Florida have players falling over themselves to be traded there or signed there.

ElmCityGuy

Apr 20, 2023
My question is, do other contenders have such a difficult time retaining players or getting players to want to play for them? Obviously, everyone wants to play for the Rangers, but even teams like Florida have players falling over themselves to be traded there or signed there.
Good question.. I dont get the fascination with Florida.. maybe it's the warm weather year round. For me I dont like hot weather..I'd rather live in the North Carolina mountains so deep in the woods they have to pipe in sunshine.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

all turned out to be really bad trades. Although Horvat doesnt belong in that group because he was extended. justifying a bad trade with other bad trades doesn't make it better.

Reactions: DaveG

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
I mean NYC and Miami are pretty desirable destinations for young, wealthy athletes. Of playoff teams you often hear of Winnipeg and Edmonton having issues; I would peg Carolina as somewhere in the middle of those two extremes.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
We did have both Bunting and Orlov basically pursue us last offseason. I don't think they will be the last...but I don't expect us to ever get the elite offensive forwards pining to play here as long as RBA is here and our system is our system.

Reality is we'll probably have to pay a premium above other competitors to attract or keep the elite scorers...and that's anathema to our FO philosophy.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
all turned out to be really bad trades. Although Horvat doesnt belong in that group because he was extended. justifying a bad trade with other bad trades doesn't make it better.

I don't think the Duchene trade was of much consequence to Columbus. It was the "Panarin's last stand" trade before he went to the big Manhattan lights. Also, Ottawa squandered that pick on a non-NHL defenseman.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
I don't think the Duchene trade was of much consequence to Columbus. It was the "Panarin's last stand" trade before he went to the big Manhattan lights. Also, Ottawa squandered that pick on a non-NHL defenseman.
how could it not be of consequence? the gave away a pick to miraculously get past round 1 and then start their inevitable years of darkness.

what another team does with the pick they gained in the bad deal has no bearing on the original trade.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

And Arizona wanted to inject life into the market, by trying to make something out of a long rebuilding process.

Defining a trade by team success and/or a player re-signing is too narrow. This team and fanbase deserved the Jake Guentzel trade.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
And Arizona wanted to inject life into the market, by trying to make something out of a long rebuilding process.

Defining a trade by team success and/or a player re-signing is too narrow. This team and fanbase deserved the Jake Guentzel trade.
trading away finite assets based on feelings of deserving is far too narrow of a justification.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
That seems so anti the way this front office works, I am not sure what to think. We have two good goalies that are cheap for next year. Why would the front office trade for a guy that needs a contract in the next year that is going to be more expensive?
Maybe he comes with Debrusk as well?

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
It seems like we're headed towards the strategies we've used before. I'm guessing we stay engaged with all our potential UFAs up to the end. Maybe let a few of them shop around before July 1. We'll end up managing to keep a couple. We'll probably be on the lookout for those Burns/Patches type trades that cost almost nothing or we get paid for around draft time/just before UFA opens. I'm sure we'll see if any guys seek us out in early UFA a la Orlov and Bunting last year given we still have a pretty good reputation as a good team. And then we'll check out the second wave of UFAs/players teams want to dump after overspending in UFA to round things out. We might have a juicy Necas trade in there to really spice things up. It's going to be a more challenging version of that with more moving parts than in years past, but I'll bet it works out well with the team culture and core we have in place.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
More smoke about Ullmark

That seems so anti the way this front office works, I am not sure what to think. We have two good goalies that are cheap for next year. Why would the front office trade for a guy that needs a contract in the next year that is going to be more expensive?
all I've seen is Bruins writers putting two and two together knowing the Canes asked about Ullmark and knowing Necas is maybe kinda on the market. I've only seen one say "yeah this doesn't make sense for Carolina though", everything else is 100% Boston centric as far as that goes.

Yes, I'd be interested in bringing him in, I wanted him in FA the year he was available.

No, Martin Necas would not be part of our package if Ullmark is the best piece coming back from Boston. And can't see Boston adding, say, Brandon Carlo to make up the difference there. Not to mention we'd have to find a taker for Freddy as well with any trade there. It just doesn't make sense from the Canes perspective and never has, just Boston wishful thinking.

MyLuckyPuck

Jan 5, 2021
Contracts be damned. I would want a goalie that's not going to poop himself come playoff time. So with that being said, who's ready to throw Freddie back in next May? Kooch?

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina

No surprises here. The only bad one is Utah HC. Yeti is the most likely, but also the most boring IMO. Blizzard is also pretty bad. I just overlooked it.

If they go with Blizzard it comes with a great logo. Just saying . . .

1717698196388.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad