Roster Building XX: How Many Patents Does Your GM Have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
They have proven that they can do high-dollar/short-term (Orlov) or low-dollar/long-term (Staal).
True, but I think that's irrelevant here and likely doesn't apply to UFAs Guentzel, Skjei or Pesce (which is what we are talking about), UNLESS, as I stated those guys find out their market value isn't as high as they thought or they take a discount to stay on a winning team. If any of those players agree to a high dollar/short term deal like Orlov out of the shoot, the Canes have a good chance of signing them.

I've also long suspected that they treat core players differently than non-core players, which is why you're seeing rumors today that Slavin is going to be extended almost immediately after July 1st.
Again, I think that's the case for core players such as Aho and probably Slavin.
Guentzel/Skjei/Pesce are interesting in that many front offices could consider them core players but it's more debatable with our group.
Agree, I don't think our front office sees them as "core" players, thus my comments. Of course I don't know for sure who they see as core players, but if they saw them as core players, I suspect they'd have already extended them (as they are already talking to Slavin).
Especially in the case of Guentzel, I have a hard time picturing a guy who's genuinely a PPG player as non-core quality unless you are confident that the Necas rumors are noise and that you have an extension ready to go.
Maybe the front office will change its MO. Maybe they'll treat one of these guys differently. That's certainly possible as they changed their deadline approach with Guentzel this year. I'm only stating that until I see them change, I am skeptical that they will sign any of these 3 to long term, high dollar deals. I suspect they'll test out free agency because of it. Maybe they'll come back after seeing what the market bears.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
FO took a bad shot at JG to hope that an 8th year would keep the AAV down enough to make his next deal palatable. long term FA deals are rarely palatable. We knew werent competing in the 7 year open market.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
My question is, do other contenders have such a difficult time retaining players or getting players to want to play for them? Obviously, everyone wants to play for the Rangers, but even teams like Florida have players falling over themselves to be traded there or signed there.
As far as "retaining", it usually comes down to money. Carolina has a lower valuation than other teams and thus, if the player isn't a core player, they can get more elsewhere.

I don't think the Canes have had problems getting players to want to play for them. Again, players want to be paid what they think they are worth or what they can get in the market.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
FO took a bad shot at JG to hope that an 8th year would keep the AAV down enough to make his next deal palatable. long term FA deals are rarely palatable. We knew werent competing in the 7 year open market.

I don't think it is a bad shot. The Canes didn't even give up a 1st rounder in that trade. Arguably they gave up a bunch of assets that added to a 1st, potentially, but in the context of our farm system being loaded with a bunch of these types of swings, it's a package that made sense.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
I don't think it is a bad shot. The Canes didn't even give up a 1st rounder in that trade. Arguably they gave up a bunch of assets that added to a 1st, potentially, but in the context of our farm system being loaded with a bunch of these types of swings, it's a package that made sense.
It's only a bad trade to those who care more about prospect pool rankings than potentially winning Cups. Everyone else realizes that it was an easy trade to make and that not much of consequence was dealt.

hblueridgegal

We'll bounce back
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
My question is, do other contenders have such a difficult time retaining players or getting players to want to play for them? Obviously, everyone wants to play for the Rangers, but even teams like Florida have players falling over themselves to be traded there or signed there.
What are the chances that they get to stay if they pack up their life and move here? They see the revolving door and know the org's rep for how they do business and negotiating.

I read that their agents use the Canes as a leverage play while knowing that the player isn't really interested in coming here in many cases due to the contract stuff and in some cases, style of play.

ElmCityGuy

Apr 20, 2023

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
What are the chances that they get to stay if they pack up their life and move here? They see the revolving door and know the org's rep for how they do business and negotiating.

I read that their agents use the Canes as a leverage play while knowing that the player isn't really interested in coming here in many cases due to the contract stuff and in some cases, style of play.

Every team is a "leverage play" to some extent. It's just that the Canes are usually not the team in the position of "WE MUST KEEP THIS PLAYER OR ELSE OUR ROSTER WILL MELT AWAY AND DIE!"

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

~27:49

- Friedman says that Guentzel’s rights are available for trade for a mid-round pick.

For those with the immediate reaction of “that’s all?”, save for that Timmonen+Hartnell Frankenstein package 17 years ago, rights have topped out at a 3rd post-lockout. The first true UFA S&T for an 8th year, Severson, also returned just a 3rd.

- Looking for a star return for Necas. “Not a middling pick and a B-prospect or a 1st rounder and a decent prospect, like, that’s not going to do it.” They’re willing to move forward with him whether he likes it or not.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015

~27:49

- Friedman says that Guentzel’s rights are available for trade for a mid-round pick.

For those with the immediate reaction of “that’s all?”, save for that Timmonen+Hartnell Frankenstein package 17 years ago, rights have topped out at a 3rd post-lockout. The first true UFA S&T for an 8th year, Severson, also returned just a 3rd.

- Looking for a star return for Necas. “Not a middling pick and a B-prospect or a 1st rounder and a decent prospect, like, that’s not going to do it.” They’re willing to move forward with him whether he likes it or not.

Dang disappointing. Was hoping we could have found a way to get it done

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Cool, so instead of keeping together the first legitimate 1st line we've had in ages, we've decided we're going to forgo that and possibly keep a player that doesn't fit in the system, even against the player's possible wishes.

I've said it once, and I'll probably say it again: This franchise cannot get out of its own way.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Paying a 30 year old 8.5+ for 8 years who hasn’t reached 80 points before with injury concerns isn’t the best move anyways
He hasn't? :sarcasm:
1717767444285.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad