Roster Building XX: How Many Patents Does Your GM Have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
What’s rumored to be happening is exactly how they’ve run things for the past 6 years.

They don’t give max term deals to 30yr olds

They’re holding onto a 25yr old like grim death because they can

I am a bit surprised they didn’t break the mold for Guentzel, but it always made more sense, based on their past, for them to hold onto Necas over Guentzel. Now, I wonder if Necas seeks an OS, if he’s still a Cane by 7/1. Seems like that’s not much of a risk though since the Canes will certainly have the space to keep him without $8M+ committed to Guentzel.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Cool, so instead of keeping together the first legitimate 1st line we've had in ages, we've decided we're going to forgo that and possibly keep a player that doesn't fit in the system, even against the player's possible wishes.

I've said it once, and I'll probably say it again: This franchise cannot get out of its own way.
We got rid of that first line in the playoffs anyways. Still wish we got to see GAJ a bit more in the playoffs, they could of stole a few of those tight 1 goal games.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I said in the past few weeks that I thought Guentzel was a guy the team definitely wanted to keep but that he almost certainly wasn't considered a core player by the team. And I agree with that. We took our swing at the deadline people have been hoping for and it didn't fully pan out. It didn't cost much in major assets, so no big deal. I think they hoped that the winning environment and time with the team down the stretch would have him take a little less to be here and that didn't happen. We'll be fine.

As for Necas, it's good to hear they are not going to trade him just to trade him. I think it's probably a better outcome if all parties can move on and we can get what we want, but he's just going to have to deal with it we choose to keep him. I'm guessing they'll do all they can to repair the relationship and feature him a bit more next year if he has to return.

hblueridgegal

We'll bounce back
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
This is turning into quite the soap opera. I am looking forward to seeing how it all gets messaged.

Necas' Dad accused the team of purposely keeping his numbers lower for negotiating tactics from Ryan Henkel @ The Hockey News:

Necas dad.png

Last edited:
Reactions: User13452

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
I’d rather deal necas now and not have it be a distraction all season. What’s the chances he even signs a long term deal here anyways I don’t see him wanting to stay here for another 7-8 years the bridge is burned

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
This news about Guentzel is such shit, man. This franchise is stuck in its own ways unable to see that the current system isn't working in the playoffs, and we're going to let the first player we've had in a long time who can actually make us a legitimate threat offensively against great teams walk away because we are uncomfortable about his asking price.

Unless we make some major moves I think this might be the beginning of the end for this core.

If we aren't willing to pay Guentzel, kiss any chance we have of ever getting a top offensive player here long term goodbye. Agents are going to steer their clients away from us because we aren't willing to pay market value for them and we aren't bad enough to get the draft stock needed to draft one. You cannot moneyuck elite talent, and that's been the one thing holding us back this run, we finally get one and we let it walk because of money.

During a time where they're jacking up prices for everything imaginable about the in house game day experience for us fans. Unreal

Can't wait til we sign a bunch of middling cast offs from other teams and try to sell it as building out the margins next year. Maybe we'll even bring back TDA because we need that offense from him, yeah that's the way.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
This is turning into quite the soap opera. I am looking forward to seeing how it all gets messaged.

Necas' Dad accused the team of purposely keeping his numbers lower for negotiating tactics from Ryan Henkel @ The Hockey News:

View attachment 880235
This is just a blatant bullshit take. This team was pushing hard for the Cup. There's no way they would "keep his numbers down" for contract purposes. Necas is a world class talent and he was deployed as the coaching staff saw fit.

Blame it on Rod, blame it on puck luck, blame it on players' attitudes, but don't blame it on rank speculation about an upcoming contract where the team retains 2 years of control.....even with arbitration rights, the team has plenty of "say so".

hblueridgegal

We'll bounce back
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
This is just a blatant bullshit take. This team was pushing hard for the Cup. There's no way they would "keep his numbers down" for contract purposes. Necas is a world class talent and he was deployed as the coaching staff saw fit.

Blame it on Rod, blame it on puck luck, blame it on players' attitudes, but don't blame it on rank speculation about an upcoming contract where the team retains 2 years of control.....even with arbitration rights, the team has plenty of "say so".
I think his comments speak to the state of the relationship...not a lot of trust there it seems.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
You know what I don't see though?

A single 82 game season in the last 6 years.

I honestly rather not pay a 30-plus year old for 7+ years if he's going to be fragile.

Well. He played 56 of 56 in 20-21. And missed 6 and 4 games after those seasons.

Jake isn't really injury prone. His biggest injury was a cheapshot by Chabot after scoring.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
And that percentage will likely drop as he ages. It's not smart to overpay for someone over 30 just because he plays well with Aho.

It's not smart to let talented players walk because they might be an issue 5-6 years down the line.

"Oh, it'll be tough to get rid of him when stops producing/gets injured at 36"

Maybe, but if he's putting up 80-90 points a year in the 6 years prior, who cares about 2030?

Daeavorn

livin' that no caps life
Oct 8, 2019
Raleigh, NC
It's not smart to let talented players walk because they might be an issue 5-6 years down the line.

Maybe, but if he's putting up 80-90 points a year in the 6 years prior, who cares about 2030?

I'd rather not get upset about something I have no control over honestly.

Jack will either sign here or he won't. Right now it's looking like he won't.

Also don't think he's the only chance we have a filling out a solid top line.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

Yeah I mean people said the EXACT same thing about how bad the Jordo contract would be at the last years when he signed back in what, 2012? Ended up being nothing because of the rising cap, which is exactly what would happen now, barring another once a century global pandemic

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
I think his comments speak to the state of the relationship...not a lot of trust there it seems.
My only question is what's the relationship like with marty? If he agrees with his dad, that's that. If he's embarassed by his dad, that's another thing. If it is somewhere in the middle, figure out which end of that spectrum he is closer to and sign him or trade him.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
My hope is we’re shopping Necas as a package deal. Hopefully a big name or two fall out of favor with a team and we can bring Necas + as a package to the table. B. Tkachuk is definitely the guy I have my eyes on.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I don't get some of the takes re: Guentzel. This team didn't go as far WITH Guentzel this year than they did without Guetnzel last year. It wasn't his fault or anything, just that it didn't get us over the hump. I'd love to keep him though, as adding more talent is always a great thing, but it has to be more than just Jake.

Maybe the team is looking at it like "We had a bunch of talented, but small guys/guys who play small/play on the perimeter" who don't get it done in the playoff (Aho, Jarvis, Necas, TT) so Guentzel adds more of that. Maybe they think the team needs to go in a different direction?

They purposely went after guys with more size/guys that go to the dirty areas) the last few years (Tkachuk, Meier, Marchment, and even Bunting, who didn't work out). Unfortunately, those guys aren't always easy to acquire.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't get some of the takes re: Guentzel. This team didn't go as far WITH Guentzel this year than they did without Guetnzel last year. It wasn't his fault or anything, just that it didn't get us over the hump. I'd love to keep him though, as adding more talent is always a great thing, but it has to be more than just Jake.

Maybe the team is looking at it like "We had a bunch of talented, but small guys/guys who play small/play on the perimeter" who don't get it done in the playoff (Aho, Jarvis, Necas, TT) so Guentzel adds more of that. Maybe they think the team needs to go in a different direction?

They purposely went after guys with more size/guys that go to the dirty areas) the last few years (Tkachuk, Meier, Marchment, and even Bunting, who didn't work out). Unfortunately, those guys aren't always easy to acquire.

Weird take given how Jake Guentzel has a cup and scores like a top five player in the playoffs since he has entered the league..

1717777328138.png

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

This year we lost because we had to play the worst defensive player in the league instead of Pesce and the resulting promoted play of what should have been our 3rd line left our goalie on an island far too often, which was further complicated because he turned into a sieve. On top of that, Burns turned into the slow 40 year old player we were worried would show its head and made things difficult for even out top defensive pair. For the first time in a long time, goal scoring was NOT the reason we bowed out. Yes, the PP was a mess, but its been a mess for a very long time, through a variety of players who have success on it elsewhere to the point where you have to admit its due to a problem with the system and not the players.

Guentzel leaving puts goal scoring back at the top of our needs going forward. Simply put, we don't have enough of it, especially when defenses tighten up in the playoffs and we aren't allowed the open space to work that we are used to in the regular season (looking at you, Necas). Guentzel fixed a lot of those issues, and its a serious problem for us if he leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad