Roster Building XX: How Many Patents Does Your GM Have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
The PP definitely helped his point totals the last couple of years, but in fairness, this year, he was also top 5 in 5v5 points / 60. Guentzel (only 17 games), Svech, Aho, and Jarvis were only players above Noesen in P/60 5v5.

Problem is that his TOI isn't very high as he only averages just over 10min / game ES. Still, he had 26 points 5v5 which is respectable for his role.
Plus he added toughness which the roster needed.

Reactions: Daeavorn

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
3.5 be my max on chatfield. Someone will give him 4 plus tho right handed d man those are in demand. If they think he’s a third pairing guy you can’t go more then 3.5 imo

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I really don’t think Dhali has been right very much

He is like Eklund was for Philly. Got his start because he had an in with the organization but has stuck around after years of bad information because people will listen

Reactions: DaveG

LBS I Digress

Jan 30, 2022
Diggin In

Oof, that whole little tidbit on Necas isn’t gonna help with gaining any leverage with teams.

The more time goes on and the more info gets leaked about him definitely wanting out, it’s gonna get worse and worse for what the Canes can bargain for in trade talks, even with him being a RFA.

His camp really seems to be starting to put the pressure on and let it be known to the borg that he has no desire to push this off till next year again or stay long term and wants out now.

The clearer that becomes the rest of the league, the harder it will be to get the kind of value is seems like the FO wants back in a trade for him.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
In the latest AG podcast, he said RBA has zero belief in KK - fairly evident but hearing it out loud was different. They discussed how Burns needs to be told to take some nights off as well. Played a chunk of time with an illness this year.
Listening to gold say what type of player Drury is makes him lose all credibility

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Oof, that whole little tidbit on Necas isn’t gonna help with gaining any leverage with teams.

The more time goes on and the more info gets leaked about him definitely wanting out, it’s gonna get worse and worse for what the Canes can bargain for in trade talks, even with him being a RFA.

His camp really seems to be starting to put the pressure on and let it be known to the borg that he has no desire to push this off till next year again or stay long term and wants out now.

The clearer that becomes the rest of the league, the harder it will be to get the kind of value is seems like the FO wants back in a trade for him.
I mean, Necas has little to no leverage. He's an arbitration eligible RFA. What's he going to do? Sit like Nylander? He ain't that guy either. Also, I'm wondering if a bit of the "Necas camp" isn't manufactured by the media. The Canes have repeatedly said, their desire is to get Marty signed and that he will have a bigger role next season.

Re: Gold saying RBA doesn't believe in KK.....well Brindy had nice things to say about him the last 2 or 3 games of the playoffs, so I think you take Gold's talking points with a grain of salt.

I'm not saying he doesn't have sources w/the Canes, but he does a lot of extrapolation blending his opinions with facts.

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
Listening to gold say what type of player Drury is makes him lose all credibility
way to deflect. KK is garbage. doesn't pass the eye test and evidently RBA saw what everyone else saw.

I do think KK can rebound though. it looked at one point that he was hurt due to his timid play. the regression was very troubling, with no explanations as to why.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
What did he say?
Drury is better than KK in every facet. which is false all around. The only difference between KK and drury is the price of the contract. Drury brings very little to the ice. KK is better but the contract just weighs down the opinion of him.

way to deflect. KK is garbage. doesn't pass the eye test and evidently RBA saw what everyone else saw.

I do think KK can rebound though. it looked at one point that he was hurt due to his timid play. the regression was very troubling, with no explanations as to why.
KK isnt garbage but okay

Reactions: WreckingCrew

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015

Who's talking then? "Thinks"

I don't necessarily doubt that there have been some exchanges but his suppositions are taken as gospel.

"Privately Necas made it pretty clear"...what he has ESP or telepathy? Is Charles Xavier his source? The ONLY things really alluded are what Necas' dad said (shocker father wants his kid to have a bigger role), that he'd like to play C, and the media just building off what each other is saying based on speculation

LBS I Digress

Jan 30, 2022
Diggin In
I mean, Necas has little to no leverage. He's an arbitration eligible RFA. What's he going to do? Sit like Nylander? He ain't that guy either. Also, I'm wondering if a bit of the "Necas camp" isn't manufactured by the media. The Canes have repeatedly said, their desire is to get Marty signed and that he will have a bigger role next season.

The Canes might want to re-sign him (Which I’m still not totally convinced they do. I think if they really wanted to they’d just give him 7x7 and call it a day) but if he actually feels like he’s done here like Friedman seems to claim (And Elliote could be totally wrong too, but someone’s feeding him that info, I don’t think he’s just making it up) and just doesn’t want to comeback at all, then that does hurt the Canes leverage.

Teams will know they have to deal him at some point. Do you really want to bring back a player who wants out and is one you’ll probably have to take to arbitration just to get him back under contract? Things could get uncomfortable and you’d just have to hope whatever discontent may come from that doesn’t bleed into the locker room or onto the ice, which isn’t an ideal situation to be in.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The Canes don’t have to move him. If he goes with the nuclear option and sits out it hurts him as much as us. If not more if we just carry on without him. I don’t think it matters that Necas lets it be known he wants out. If you only have one or two teams bidding then those teams have leverage. If more than that want in then it’s a normal leverage situation.

Sounds like he definitely wants to force a trade this summer, which has been the vibe the whole time imo. If they were thinking about actually expanding his role you get the feeling it was too little too late.

This is a big deal, even if he didn’t fit in. Guys who can score in the 50-70 pt range are difficult to get in trade at this age. Especially with there being nothing really wrong with him aside from his style fit. We’re going to have to pay someone else to come take his spot.

There’s a good chance Rod is going to get his defensive minded team this season, the hard way.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I remember everyone shitting on Gold when he lambasted the Canes for signing Rask to that contract.
Me especially; It's where I got my Twitter handle, "Captain Hot Take".
Teams will know they have to deal him at some point. Do you really want to bring back a player who wants out and is one you’ll probably have to take to arbitration just to get him back under contract? Things could get uncomfortable and you’d just have to hope whatever discontent may come from that doesn’t bleed into the locker room or onto the ice, which isn’t an ideal situation to be in.
I'm thinking you're not understanding this front office. To put it mildly....or is it bluntly....they are ruthless when it comes to valuations and getting the value out of a player that they want.

Necas can't afford to sit out if he ever wants to get the contract that he's hoping for. The Canes, however, can: 1) trade him, 2) try to sign him long term (mending fences), 3) qualify him and get taken to arbitration, 4) accept the arbitration award, 5) accept the arbitration award for 2 seasons (taking him to UFA).

The short term benefit accrues almost exclusively to the team. Trade him and he's a valluable commodity who will bring back something darn valuable. Sign him long term and we have the game breaking talent, potentially in an expanded role. The arbitration route essentially means that he'll be gone in a year or two. However, you'll have an extremely motivated player who wants to put up good numbers thereby continuing to increase his value. The Canes either get 1 or 2 years to push for the Cup. If he has a great year next season, his value only goes up.

Doing what the Canes are currently doing is nothing but a win for the club.

All of that said, this team has a history of letting players who want to go try and work out equitable deals to get out of dodge. In that spirit, here's the guys I'd trade him for:

1. Ottawa - Drake Batherson (probably stright up)
2. Anaheim - Trevor Zegras (Rod would likely go crazy about this, so unlikely as hell)
3. Anaheim - Troy Terry (probably a building block for the Ducks, however)
4. Calgary - Rasmus Andersson (I'd want an add from Calgary)
5. Los Angeles - Adrian Kempe (with an add from LA given age and only 2 years of contract left)
6. Los Angeles - Quinton Byfield (pipe dream and they'd want an add from Canes)
7. Vegas - Nicolas Roy (with a substantial add from the Knights)
8. Utah - Lawson Crouse (Don't know about an add, but I'd want one)
9. Buffalo - Alex Tuch (w/small add from Sabres)
10. Buffalo - JJ Peterka (again, I'd want an add from Buffalo)
11. Utah - Sean Durzi (probably w/a small add)

That's it. That's my list. Nearly all of it is unreasonable or impossible or at least improbable.

So given that I don't think any of that is actually going to happen, I'm voting to keep Marty and see what happens.

Reactions: WreckingCrew
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad