Roster Building XX: How Many Patents Does Your GM Have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
We're hesitant to sign our guys to long term deals into their 30s. I'd be really surprised to see them trade for a D signed through 37.

The problem with UFA contracts is that it tends to inflate both term and cap hit. The Weegar contract is unusual in that it was signed in the middle of the flat cap era, it's currently a significant underpayment relative to performance, and it may especially be a valuable asset in the next 3-4 seasons as the cap goes up. As the future salaries inflate, a contract like Weegar's may be unusually valuable for a veteran contract, at least according to ReelChuckFletcher math.

Last edited:

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Who is Brent Burns
I knew someone was going to say that ha.

Burns is a unicorn that we took on the last 3 years of at a discount. Weegar is 30.5 and signed for another 7 years.

I'll concede that his $6.25M hit is a discount right now, and I have no idea how he'll age; I was just saying I'd be surprised if our front office traded for him.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
I knew someone was going to say that ha.

Burns is a unicorn that we took on the last 3 years of at a discount. Weegar is 30.5 and signed for another 7 years.

I'll concede that his $6.25M hit is a discount right now, and I have no idea how he'll age; I was just saying I'd be surprised if our front office traded for him.

The fact that the Weegar contract was signed in the middle of the flat cap is what makes it interesting. There's some rumors going around that some teams could offer someone like Pesce $7M/year, potentially. In an environment like that, a flat-cap extension could be underratedly valuable.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
The fact that the Weegar contract was signed in the middle of the flat cap is what makes it interesting. There's some rumors going around that some teams could offer someone like Pesce $7M/year, potentially. In an environment like that, a flat-cap extension could be underratedly valuable.
But seriously, the flat cap contract is an interesting point.

I wonder more about Carolina hunting just below the elite level UFAs. If they are willing to throw slightly more money at specific tier B UFAs right at the start of the frenzy, they may land one or two at what is still the Borg's target in terms of % of cap.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Weegar interests me for Calgary. I've thought about Necas for Weegar in the past as a base idea.
I like Weegar at his cap hit for what he offers in terms of physicality, points. I also don’t mind Blake Coleman for another 3 years at just under 5 million. Kadri would interest me if he was 2 or 3 years younger.

Noesen is gonna get paid but not by the canes. Only way I’m keeping Martinook is if he wants a team friendly deal.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011

It's always smarter to try to find the next version of these guys for cheap than overpay them in free agency. Of course, I still won't be surprised if the Canes hold onto Martinook (probably very last minute like last time if we do) but it always seemed like Noesen would be destined to move on. We squeezed some good, cheap play out of him for a couple of years. I wonder if some teams grab Noesen, doesn't give him any PP time, and then wonders why his numbers are down. He'd barely had any PP points in his career before coming to us, I think.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
It's always smarter to try to find the next version of these guys for cheap than overpay them in free agency. Of course, I still won't be surprised if the Canes hold onto Martinook (probably very last minute like last time if we do) but it always seemed like Noesen would be destined to move on. We squeezed some good, cheap play out of him for a couple of years. I wonder if some teams grab Noesen, doesn't give him any PP time, and then wonders why his numbers are down. He'd barely had any PP points in his career before coming to us, I think.

Canes have some choices in the Martinook and Noesen slots. They could swallow their marbles and sign Martinook if the cap hit and/or term are right. Promoting Drury, KK, and Comtois from within are options, too. They could, however, address the Martinook role via trade, which was how the Canes originally acquired Martinook. Mathieu Joseph has been in some rumors recently with the recent regime change and I don't think that his trade asset price is going to be that high, but to me he's the picture-perfect archetype of a potential Martinook successor who could even be an offensive upgrade in the role.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Great news, seemed like the obvious move all along. I imagine we'll still see one of the 200 Hockey Men types we interviewed brought in as a VP of hockey ops type of role to help facilitate communication for Tulsky.

Also not surprised it was Frank who broke the news. He's interviewed Tulsky a couple times before on his various podcasts and pumped Tulsky up big time as the guy who should get the job after DW left. I think Frank will be one of the better-connected Canes sources going forward, like LeBrun was with Waddell.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Great news, seemed like the obvious move all along. I imagine we'll still see one of the 200 Hockey Men types we interviewed brought in as a VP of hockey ops type of role to help facilitate communication for Tulsky.

Also not surprised it was Frank who broke the news. He's interviewed Tulsky a couple times before on his various podcasts and pumped Tulsky up big time as the guy who should get the job after DW left. I think Frank will be one of the better-connected Canes sources going forward, like LeBrun was with Waddell.

Potentially PoHo, as well.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
That is correct. He literally only had 1 point on the powerplay prior to his Canes career.
The PP definitely helped his point totals the last couple of years, but in fairness, this year, he was also top 5 in 5v5 points / 60. Guentzel (only 17 games), Svech, Aho, and Jarvis were only players above Noesen in P/60 5v5.

Problem is that his TOI isn't very high as he only averages just over 10min / game ES. Still, he had 26 points 5v5 which is respectable for his role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad