Roster Building XX: How Many Patents Does Your GM Have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
Me especially; It's where I got my Twitter handle, "Captain Hot Take".

I'm thinking you're not understanding this front office. To put it mildly....or is it bluntly....they are ruthless when it comes to valuations and getting the value out of a player that they want.

Necas can't afford to sit out if he ever wants to get the contract that he's hoping for. The Canes, however, can: 1) trade him, 2) try to sign him long term (mending fences), 3) qualify him and get taken to arbitration, 4) accept the arbitration award, 5) accept the arbitration award for 2 seasons (taking him to UFA).

The short term benefit accrues almost exclusively to the team. Trade him and he's a valluable commodity who will bring back something darn valuable. Sign him long term and we have the game breaking talent, potentially in an expanded role. The arbitration route essentially means that he'll be gone in a year or two. However, you'll have an extremely motivated player who wants to put up good numbers thereby continuing to increase his value. The Canes either get 1 or 2 years to push for the Cup. If he has a great year next season, his value only goes up.

Doing what the Canes are currently doing is nothing but a win for the club.

All of that said, this team has a history of letting players who want to go try and work out equitable deals to get out of dodge. In that spirit, here's the guys I'd trade him for:

1. Ottawa - Drake Batherson (probably stright up)
2. Anaheim - Trevor Zegras (Rod would likely go crazy about this, so unlikely as hell)
3. Anaheim - Troy Terry (probably a building block for the Ducks, however)
4. Calgary - Rasmus Andersson (I'd want an add from Calgary)
5. Los Angeles - Adrian Kempe (with an add from LA given age and only 2 years of contract left)
6. Los Angeles - Quinton Byfield (pipe dream and they'd want an add from Canes)
7. Vegas - Nicolas Roy (with a substantial add from the Knights)
8. Utah - Lawson Crouse (Don't know about an add, but I'd want one)
9. Buffalo - Alex Tuch (w/small add from Sabres)
10. Buffalo - JJ Peterka (again, I'd want an add from Buffalo)
11. Utah - Sean Durzi (probably w/a small add)

That's it. That's my list. Nearly all of it is unreasonable or impossible or at least improbable.

So given that I don't think any of that is actually going to happen, I'm voting to keep Marty and see what happens.
I think he ends up in Montreal. Whether thru a 3 team trade or something else. What we get and from whom I have no clue. Just a gut instinct.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
In the latest AG podcast, he said RBA has zero belief in KK - fairly evident but hearing it out loud was different. They discussed how Burns needs to be told to take some nights off as well. Played a chunk of time with an illness this year.
I’m sure they check in on our board for ideas, ie burns.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Drury is better than KK in every facet. which is false all around. The only difference between KK and drury is the price of the contract. Drury brings very little to the ice. KK is better but the contract just weighs down the opinion of him.
Amen. It would be like someone saying KK is better than JT Miller. No way you could trust that person's opinion again. :sarcasm:

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
I'd look at Sharangovich and Weegar in trades. RH Center in Sharan and a steady partner for Slavin or Orlov
Calgary has pieces that can help the team win now. Weegar at 6.5 is a great deal and probably less then what Pesce and Skjei will sign for and he’s around the same age. I like Coleman as well only 3 years left at a reasonable cap hit

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Calgary has pieces that can help the team win now. Weegar at 6.5 is a great deal and probably less then what Pesce and Skjei will sign for and he’s around the same age. I like Coleman as well only 3 years left at a reasonable cap hit

Outside of maybe Crouse, Weegar is my favorite idea out of all of the realistic trade choices. That flat cap-era extension is great value as the cap shifts toward a rising trajectory.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
I wonder what a contract could look like for Ardvisson coming off an injury filled season. Could be a Teravainen replacement. Another top 6 right handed forward wouldn’t hurt.

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Switching topics to non Necas related talk

I was perusing capfriendly before it gets shut down and noticed that the Flyers in in an absolute squeeze cap wise for next year. Obviously we wouldn’t be the only team sniffing around but I think he’s a no brainer guy you push for, especially if the Flyers don’t like the feedback they hear from his camp regarding an extension.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Switching topics to non Necas related talk

I was perusing capfriendly before it gets shut down and noticed that the Flyers in in an absolute squeeze cap wise for next year. Obviously we wouldn’t be the only team sniffing around but I think he’s a no brainer guy you push for, especially if the Flyers don’t like the feedback they hear from his camp regarding an extension.
R1aoMA.gif

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
Me especially; It's where I got my Twitter handle, "Captain Hot Take".

I'm thinking you're not understanding this front office. To put it mildly....or is it bluntly....they are ruthless when it comes to valuations and getting the value out of a player that they want.

Necas can't afford to sit out if he ever wants to get the contract that he's hoping for. The Canes, however, can: 1) trade him, 2) try to sign him long term (mending fences), 3) qualify him and get taken to arbitration, 4) accept the arbitration award, 5) accept the arbitration award for 2 seasons (taking him to UFA).

The short term benefit accrues almost exclusively to the team. Trade him and he's a valluable commodity who will bring back something darn valuable. Sign him long term and we have the game breaking talent, potentially in an expanded role. The arbitration route essentially means that he'll be gone in a year or two. However, you'll have an extremely motivated player who wants to put up good numbers thereby continuing to increase his value. The Canes either get 1 or 2 years to push for the Cup. If he has a great year next season, his value only goes up.

Doing what the Canes are currently doing is nothing but a win for the club.

All of that said, this team has a history of letting players who want to go try and work out equitable deals to get out of dodge. In that spirit, here's the guys I'd trade him for:

1. Ottawa - Drake Batherson (probably stright up)
2. Anaheim - Trevor Zegras (Rod would likely go crazy about this, so unlikely as hell)
3. Anaheim - Troy Terry (probably a building block for the Ducks, however)
4. Calgary - Rasmus Andersson (I'd want an add from Calgary)
5. Los Angeles - Adrian Kempe (with an add from LA given age and only 2 years of contract left)
6. Los Angeles - Quinton Byfield (pipe dream and they'd want an add from Canes)
7. Vegas - Nicolas Roy (with a substantial add from the Knights)
8. Utah - Lawson Crouse (Don't know about an add, but I'd want one)
9. Buffalo - Alex Tuch (w/small add from Sabres)
10. Buffalo - JJ Peterka (again, I'd want an add from Buffalo)
11. Utah - Sean Durzi (probably w/a small add)

That's it. That's my list. Nearly all of it is unreasonable or impossible or at least improbable.

So given that I don't think any of that is actually going to happen, I'm voting to keep Marty and see what happens.
Durzi is available for Necas I imagine, probably even with crouse as the main piece.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I wonder what a contract could look like for Ardvisson coming off an injury filled season. Could be a Teravainen replacement. Another top 6 right handed forward wouldn’t hurt.
If he’s healthy he’s the right style of offensive minded player I’d think. He’d be a good fit, but he’s been a mess. Could be good at Staal’s side if he’s not getting back to where he was, higher up if he can get his game back. Potentially versatile.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
If he’s healthy he’s the right style of offensive minded player I’d think. He’d be a good fit, but he’s been a mess. Could be good at Staal’s side if he’s not getting back to where he was, higher up if he can get his game back. Potentially versatile.
I like him as a TT replacement.

Reactions: bleedgreen

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I like him as a TT replacement.
I’ve thought for a few years TT was the guy that we could switch out with a more straight line player that fit the system better. Once we had other skill guys that could play with Aho, TT didn’t really fit in that well. Necas brought the quicker feet and more aggressive attacking that could replace the numbers lost I felt. Now that we’re probably losing both I’m not quite as sure. If this summer goes poorly I could find myself wishing we kept TT….but generally I do think it’s time to move on no matter what. Arvidsson or similar for TT and say Crouse for Necas changes the feel of the forward group a bit and we’d still have reasonable scoring.

I’d really focus on adding something to that third line. It was at its best imo with Nino when he brought that bump in scoring. Fast maybe drops to the fourth until he’s showing a little more offense and is healthy. I’d find two guys like Arvidsson to flank Staal. Ones you don’t really care too much about true production, because when you care about that you don’t want to put them with Staal. Guys who can play that style and put just a few pucks in the net. Martinook did an admirable job but it’s time for him to get overpaid elsewhere.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I saw a Rangers wish list proposal of Kakko for Necas. They said he could go to the home for wayward Finns.
I was thinking of a list of players that would fit as reclamation projects that most on the main board would roll their eyes at. Kakko was on it. I think we’d look at that pretty hard if the Rangers wanted out.

I just think they’d still want us to pay a good price and that’s where it probably goes off the tracks. I couldn’t see it for a player as accomplished as Necas without it being a package, which is probably what the return will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad