Roster Building XX: How Many Patents Does Your GM Have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I’ve thought for a few years TT was the guy that we could switch out with a more straight line player that fit the system better. Once we had other skill guys that could play with Aho, TT didn’t really fit in that well. Necas brought the quicker feet and more aggressive attacking that could replace the numbers lost I felt. Now that we’re probably losing both I’m not quite as sure. If this summer goes poorly I could find myself wishing we kept TT….but generally I do think it’s time to move on no matter what. Arvidsson or similar for TT and say Crouse for Necas changes the feel of the forward group a bit and we’d still have reasonable scoring.

I’d really focus on adding something to that third line. It was at its best imo with Nino when he brought that bump in scoring. Fast maybe drops to the fourth until he’s showing a little more offense and is healthy. I’d find two guys like Arvidsson to flank Staal. Ones you don’t really care too much about true production, because when you care about that you don’t want to put them with Staal. Guys who can play that style and put just a few pucks in the net. Martinook did an admirable job but it’s time for him to get overpaid elsewhere.
Problem with Arvidsson is he's small, wouldn't be good at the possession game, and is pretty much a lock to miss about 15 games/year at best. Maybe as a late offseason flyer if he signs cheap for a year, but he'd be pretty low on my priority list honestly.
I was thinking of a list of players that would fit as reclamation projects that most on the main board would roll their eyes at. Kakko was on it. I think we’d look at that pretty hard if the Rangers wanted out.

I just think they’d still want us to pay a good price and that’s where it probably goes off the tracks. I couldn’t see it for a player as accomplished as Necas without it being a package, which is probably what the return will be.
Kakko I think could be an good long-term Fast replacement...if we didn't have Fast locked up for another year @ $2.4M. But yea, unless he's a secondary piece, no way in hell Necas would be involved. It's either a pick or prospect at best. Problem is most Rags fans still want to milk the most out of his draft position, and even admitting he's meh at best, they want at least a 2nd or decent established player (like Necas) for him.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Problem with Arvidsson is he's small, wouldn't be good at the possession game, and is pretty much a lock to miss about 15 games/year at best. Maybe as a late offseason flyer if he signs cheap for a year, but he'd be pretty low on my priority list honestly.

Arvidsson is historically very good at the possession game despite his small height. The question with him is more about play-style and what role is suitable for him in the context of our team.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I feel we are going to get screwed on necas. I just know it.

I mean, we're kind of in a no-win situation. We're not going to get the best value for him (despite our attempts otherwise) because other teams know he wants out. And while it's possible that we keep him, it's generally a poor idea to hold onto a player that wants out for a number of reasons. And it's not like his value is going to rise by holding onto him.

It might be similar to the Skinner situation. Bite the bullet, take the best offer and wash your hands clean of the entire situation.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I mean, we're kind of in a no-win situation. We're not going to get the best value for him (despite our attempts otherwise) because other teams know he wants out. And while it's possible that we keep him, it's generally a poor idea to hold onto a player that wants out for a number of reasons. And it's not like his value is going to rise by holding onto him.

It might be similar to the Skinner situation. Bite the bullet, take the best offer and wash your hands clean of the entire situation.
I'm on the other side of this argument. Necas' value isn't going down. In fact, I'd say it could even be going up. We're likely looking at an arbitration award in the high $5 million to low $6 million. You take that and run with it. He's then trade bait with a defined number or he gets put in a more productive situation on the Canes. Given that the Canes can take the 2 year option, it provides a bit of certainty. Marty then will have to perform to get the contract he ultimately wants. I just don't see all this devaluing people are speaking of.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
The Avs were patient with trading Duchene in a similar situation and came out with a pretty good haul overall. It just depends on what they really want to accomplish and by when. Do they really feel they need to move on as part of their ideal offseason plan or will they just force him to play because he has no choice? It can still go many different ways.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I feel we are going to get screwed on necas. I just know it.
They don’t “have to” trade him. It’s not a Tkachuk situation…yet, as they have still 2 RFa years with him. They may not get “star” power back for him, but I’m not too worried about that. They’ll very likely get a good young roster player and a 1st or a haul of high-end futures for him that can be turned into roster upgrades.

Daeavorn

livin' that no caps life
Oct 8, 2019
Raleigh, NC
If the option is pay him or trade him for less value I prefer paying him.

I don't necessarily think it matters if he doesn't want to be here.

We give him the qualifying offer at the very least let him have another season and then try again next year.

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
I wouldn’t be surprised if we made this into a 2 year arb award situation and then use that as leverage in a trade deal if they dont get exactly what they want in trade offers from other teams. We have already played hardball with him before…. Would not put it past them to play hardball with him again… he plays or he is suspended and has to wait two years to get to free agency at which point he likely doesn’t get what he wants then either…. The guys in the room and Brindy contains any attitude so it doesn’t go south that way….

I don’t see this as a Tkachuk situation at all….

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I wouldn’t be surprised if we made this into a 2 year arb award situation and then use that as leverage in a trade deal if they dont get exactly what they want in trade offers from other teams. We have already played hardball with him before…. Would not put it past them to play hardball with him again… he plays or he is suspended and has to wait two years to get to free agency at which point he likely doesn’t get what he wants then either…. The guys in the room and Brindy contains any attitude so it doesn’t go south that way….

I don’t see this as a Tkachuk situation at all….
We would be playing Russian roulette taking him to arb or asking for a 2 year award. At least with a 1 year the player needs to play ball with a trade and extension or they will be playing in Europe for a lot less.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
They don’t “have to” trade him. It’s not a Tkachuk situation…yet, as they have still 2 RFa years with him. They may not get “star” power back for him, but I’m not too worried about that. They’ll very likely get a good young roster player and a 1st or a haul of high-end futures for him that can be turned into roster upgrades.
Well Calgary didn’t have to trade Tkachuk either, he just let them know he wouldn’t sign long term and was going to walk himself to ufa correct? I do think this isn’t far off that situation. Obviously as things are now Necas won’t sign with us long term, and there’s an arbitration path that could walk him to ufa if I’m understanding that right.

I agree they don’t have to trade him, though we don’t know how it would go if we don’t. At this point if we’re keeping the room good we probably need to move him this summer.

I keep thinking about Kuzy making a joke about helping Necas get a contract early after the deadline. Necas didn’t look as happy as he normally does this season, his situation was big enough in the room for Kuzy to joke the way he did. I think on some level Necas was affected, possibly/probably the room felt all that and even though they’re all professionals I think they probably won’t bring him back unless they’re really getting crappy offers.

whiskers

Aug 2, 2018
Lots of News that Necas is Going to MTL please noooo! especially for Matherson are u kidding me , he's a Petry 2.0 , only players from Canadian teams I want are Petterson or Tkachuk , I'd do Zegras .and trade him after we replace Guentel

Reactions: BadgerCane58

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Lots of News that Necas is Going to MTL please noooo! especially for Matherson are u kidding me , he's a Petry 2.0 , only players from Canadian teams I want are Petterson or Tkachuk , I'd do Zegras .and trade him after we replace Guentel
What news?

That a 3rd team would have to facilitate a Montreal-canes trade? That is just speculation if one was to happen

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011

Reiterating that we have it down to about 5-7 teams for Necas and nobody has met the price yet (duh). Think they mentioned Chicago, Boston, Montreal, and Winnipeg by name. Also mentioned we might still have interest in Ehlers.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
Funny seeing Ehlers and Laine in the same speculated trade, considering the bromance they had/-ve.

1718227900706.png

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017

Reiterating that we have it down to about 5-7 teams for Necas and nobody has met the price yet (duh). Think they mentioned Chicago, Boston, Montreal, and Winnipeg by name. Also mentioned we might still have interest in Ehlers.

I sure hope it would be Chicago, Boston, Montreal, or Winnipeg pulling in a 3rd team to make it work. I don’t see anyone on those rosters (that would realistically be included) that would get me the least bit excited.

Reactions: DaveG and User13452

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
We would be playing Russian roulette taking him to arb or asking for a 2 year award. At least with a 1 year the player needs to play ball with a trade and extension or they will be playing in Europe for a lot less.
We wouldn't take him to arbitration. We merely qualify him at $3.5 million and continue to negotiate (if the Canes are interested in that). Necas would almost surely take us to arbitration. Once the arbitration award is given, we have 48 hours to accept or let him walk. WE also have the option of taking a 2 year award. This is a no lose situation unless Necas pulls a Nylander which would drive his value down immensely.

The only other issue would be the potential for an offer sheet....there are only a limited amount of teams who could pull it off given their picks. Minimum would be a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. But I'd guess Necas would want the 7 year deal. So even a 7 X $7.5 million gets into the 2 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd.

I know I'm the board's optimistic optimist, but I think this all gets worked out and, hopefully, Marty is playing for us again next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad