Roster Building XX: How Many Patents Does Your GM Have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Someone posted that on the canes subreddit, ill paste it over here so people can see:

Calgary Flames receive:

• RW, Martin Necas (RFA rights)
  • C, Jesperi Kotkaniemi (six years left, $4.82 million AAV)
  • 2024 2nd Round Pick (Carolina)
  • 2025 4th Round Pick (Carolina)
Carolina Hurricanes receive:

• G, Jacob Markstrom (two years left, $6 million AAV)
  • LW/RW, Andrew Mangiapane (one year left, $5.8 million AAV)
  • 2024 2nd Round Pick (via Dallas Stars)
  • 2025 Conditional 3rd Round Pick (Calgary)
Personally, that doesn't move the needle for me at all. I absolutely do not want to trade Necas for a goaltender.

I'd rather re-sign him at this point.
That appears to be from a The Hockey Writers article, so can't imagine there's much basis in fact or reality there. Quite odd to even include the second rounders that are like two picks apart from each other.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I could see us having some level of interest in Markstrom and/or Mangiapane. But I don't think it's via a Necas trade. That being said, I won't be surprised if we do end up making a move with Necas (and maybe others like Koko being included in that trade) that ends up looking a good bit like the Hamilton trade. We gave up potentially a lot of years of control for not very many (plus the Fox lottery ticket). That deal had its shortcomings in the long term, but it worked out quite well for us in setting us on the path to being the level of team we have been for years now.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
I could see us having some level of interest in Markstrom and/or Mangiapane. But I don't think it's via a Necas trade. That being said, I won't be surprised if we do end up making a move with Necas (and maybe others like Koko being included in that trade) that ends up looking a good bit like the Hamilton trade. We gave up potentially a lot of years of control for not very many (plus the Fox lottery ticket). That deal had its shortcomings in the long term, but it worked out quite well for us in setting us on the path to being the level of team we have been for years now.
But Hamilton and Ferland were pieces that we needed; Markstrom and Mangiapane aren't.

If the deal involved Andersson I'd say it's similar.

Edit: I misread and thought you were comparing the deal as written to the Hamilton trade.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I can’t see much of any markstrom interest. His age, cap hit, and playoff performances all go against him. Just keep freedie instead of trading for a goalie who puts us in a worse position

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I can’t see much of any markstrom interest. His age, cap hit, and playoff performances all go against him. Just keep freedie instead of trading for a goalie who puts us in a worse position
It's not my preference, but if they think it's time to move on from Freddie based on how things ended I could see them circling back on the previous interest.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Someone posted that on the canes subreddit, ill paste it over here so people can see:

Calgary Flames receive:

• RW, Martin Necas (RFA rights)
  • C, Jesperi Kotkaniemi (six years left, $4.82 million AAV)
  • 2024 2nd Round Pick (Carolina)
  • 2025 4th Round Pick (Carolina)
Carolina Hurricanes receive:

• G, Jacob Markstrom (two years left, $6 million AAV)
  • LW/RW, Andrew Mangiapane (one year left, $5.8 million AAV)
  • 2024 2nd Round Pick (via Dallas Stars)
  • 2025 Conditional 3rd Round Pick (Calgary)
Personally, that doesn't move the needle for me at all. I absolutely do not want to trade Necas for a goaltender.

I'd rather re-sign him at this point.

Garbage source. Not even worth considering.

3CanesInTheBox

no touch my guys
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
Me taking notes on all the Svech slander:

200.gif

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Personally, I don't see us doing anything with Necas or Kotkaniemi until we've resolved the Jarvis/Teravainen/Guentzel contract cluster. They are both under team control, so we don't have to be in any sort of hurry. Plus, I'd like to see if the Canes could do some repair on the Necas relationship. I think he's on the edge of being a superstar.
What would that package look like though. Reports are we weren't that interested in Hronek.
I believe I recall that Hronek alone didn't move the needle and that we were looking for 2 or 3 additional assets (player, high ranked prospect, pick in some combination).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad