Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXIV: Walk the line into the ring of fire

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Can anyone give me a lowdown on Jason Robertson?

From the Athletic, Scott Wheeler:

2. Jason Robertson, LW, 20 (Texas Stars)
If you’ve read my guide to scouting, you’ll know that I hate jargon like ‘hockey IQ’ or ‘awareness’ or ‘smarts’ because I think they’re lazy and they often don’t mean to the reader what they mean to the author (or broadcaster), creating ambiguity where description and detail are preferable. But there are some players who just sort of get it, players who’ve figured out how the game is played and have optimized their game around that knowledge. It can be hard, with those players, to put your finger on exactly how they do it. As I detailed in my video analysis of Robertson’s game this summer as part of The Gifted, part of the way Robertson has made hockey work for him is by playing smaller than he looks. There’s more to it than that, though. He just knows where to be on the ice. He’s always finding space to get open. He’s always one step ahead of the puck (despite the fact that his skating is his biggest weakness!). And then he’s got good size, better hands, a dangerous shot and the ability to identify pockets and put pucks there for teammates. All of that has combined to make a player who, yet again, is finding ways to create offence despite a stunted stride. He’s sixth in under-21 AHL scoring behind some pretty good company and is the Stars’ second-leading scorer.

Reactions: Lion Hound

TheBPA

Jul 1, 2004

from the prospect rankings recently posted by Scott Wheeler in the Athletic, where he had Robertson as their #2 prospect:

2. Jason Robertson, LW, 20 (Texas Stars)
If you’ve read my guide to scouting, you’ll know that I hate jargon like ‘hockey IQ’ or ‘awareness’ or ‘smarts’ because I think they’re lazy and they often don’t mean to the reader what they mean to the author (or broadcaster), creating ambiguity where description and detail are preferable. But there are some players who just sort of get it, players who’ve figured out how the game is played and have optimized their game around that knowledge. It can be hard, with those players, to put your finger on exactly how they do it. As I detailed in my video analysis of Robertson’s game this summer as part of The Gifted, part of the way Robertson has made hockey work for him is by playing smaller than he looks. There’s more to it than that, though. He just knows where to be on the ice. He’s always finding space to get open. He’s always one step ahead of the puck (despite the fact that his skating is his biggest weakness!). And then he’s got good size, better hands, a dangerous shot and the ability to identify pockets and put pucks there for teammates. All of that has combined to make a player who, yet again, is finding ways to create offence despite a stunted stride. He’s sixth in under-21 AHL scoring behind some pretty good company and is the Stars’ second-leading scorer.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
He’s easily the best forward prospect Dallas has

He’s a big kid at 6’2, good hands, good shot

Only thing I’ve seen that’s a negative to his game he doesn’t skate great but it doesn’t stop him from playing his game.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Big bodied American kid that's a shoot first, ask questions later kind of player. LH shot.

Doesn't have blazing speed like Kreider, but the similarities in terms of style of play are there.

He has a middle six NHL forward ceiling that can pot 20-25 goals in his prime. He doesn't have the play driving abilities that Kreider has, but he'll be close in terms of point production.

He and Dallas' 1st would be a great return for Kreider.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Dallas in play. Robertson potentially in play.

Thanks ... what’s the thoughts on him vs his bro tearing up the ohl

Dallas has a 1st but no 2nd or 3rd(nyr has that ) so they would really be all in w that move

LiveLongandProspal

NY Rangers = America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Awesome. Robertson would be great. Also wouldn't mind Dellandrea. I know people thought he was overdrafted a coupled of years back, but I always liked his game. Not the most skilled, but so consistent with his effort.

Last edited:

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Thanks ... what’s the thoughts on him vs his bro tearing up the ohl

Dallas has a 1st but no 2nd or 3rd(nyr has that ) so they would really be all in w that move

I think Robertson falls into that “A” bucket that Freidman talked about...so it could be him and Dallas 1. No 3rd piece.

Those with better knowledge - is Robertson in that “A” bucket?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Have to admit I know nothing about Robertson.

Should I be concerned that he sounds a lot like a slightly larger version of a player we picked 33 picks ahead of him in that same draft?

I’ll be in the minority here but if Andersson has stayed in the AHL and put up the same point totals as Robertson this year I wouldn’t be upset. They’re good totals for a young player. I know people wanted more but that’s still a good, useful middle-6 forward more than likely.

Reactions: slater417

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
The decision isn't the value of Kreider on this team vs the return in a trade. Gorton isn't waiting holding his pen over a contract until Newhook is available. The decision is based on Kreider agreeing to Gorton's terms. When it gets too late and CK doesn't back down, he is gone to the highest bidder.

I understand why people want to keep Kreider. They aren't wrong, but it isn't as simple as wincing a little and cutting a fatter check than you hoped. There are hard choices coming. We crap on Skjei but he is not easily, or cheaply, replaced. Couple that with most likely buying out staal and replacing him. Two spots. Don't bank on Hank's $8.5m disappearing. He isn't retiring. Or maybe hedge the bet. Something similar to winning the draft lottery again. At best, we free $3m up with a buyout.

ADA may be a casualty. Probably Strome, and I don't think his production or Panarin chemistry is appreciated in the slightest. Or maybe its Buchnevich instead of those two. But count on 2 regulars going and the replacements will either be John Moore level, or slightly cheaper than the guys moved out. Or you dangle Lundkvist for a cheaper player on the last year of a friendly deal who you have to pay in a year. Nothing is ideal.

Ultimately you send out Skjei's 30 points with Buchnevich's 45 points for the sake of keeping Kreider's 60 points which is now paid for with a premium. You aren't replacing Brady from within with someone ready to eat his minutes, responsibilities and production, even if he is frustrating. Buch could probably be replaced within, but it won't equal.

Losing CK isn't great. But I look at it as not over paying for his production and forcing trades a la Hagelin, while also keeping controlled players like ADA, Buchnevich, Skjei and Strome. Then dealing them from a position of strength when the right deal is there.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I’ll be in the minority here but if Andersson has stayed in the AHL and put up the same point totals as Robertson this year I wouldn’t be upset. They’re good totals for a young player. I know people wanted more but that’s still a good, useful middle-6 forward more than likely.
I don't disagree with the concept as regards the numbers – but outside of those brief flashes in training camp, when playing against 2nd tier competition and vets mailing it in, Andersson never looked like he could keep up with the play well enough to be that middle six guy (certainly not 2nd line). Robertson obviously has 2 inches and 10 lbs on him, and I like the characterization of his shot, but I've grown a little gun shy of guys described as poor skaters who get by on hockey IQ...

I suppose the hope is that he's more Justin Williams than he is Lias Andersson.

Reactions: Minmonster

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Have to admit I know nothing about Robertson.

Should I be concerned that he sounds a lot like a slightly larger version of a player we picked 33 picks ahead of him in that same draft?
I’m assuming you’re talking about Lias but no they’re nothing alike. Robertson is a better prospect in pretty much every way

But I think it’s understandable to worry about a guy who doesn’t skate amazing.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I don’t know what’s going to happen over the next 72 or so hours, but I can you I’m very impressed with how the coaching staff has developed this young team defensively.

Very excited for this team and with Vezterkin in net if all breaks right we will be playoff bound for years to come.

I just hope that the decisions made over the next several days enhance this team and not set them back, and that’s just a plea to the hockey Gods.

I can make a case for keeping and trading CK. It all depends on outside factors JDJG are weighing right now.

LiveLongandProspal

NY Rangers = America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
I will say that's the one thing I'm worried about with Kakko. I feel like his ceiling will always be capped by his skating. He has little to no explosion.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I will say that's the one thing I'm worried about with Kakko. I feel like his ceiling will always be capped by his skating. He has little to no explosion.

I’m not. At 19 he has a lot of room to get physically stronger which in itself will create more explosiveness. Plus there is a lot more science and specific programs to work on this aspect of hockey fitness.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Robertson, 1st, Janmark (only Stars forward with expiring contract; in for cap reasons) fits the criteria of what the Rangers would be looking for

Reactions: UAGoalieGuy

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Nill making a push to make noise in the playoffs again this year makes sense

If they flame out early I could see him being axed. They already fired the coach, would give management an excuse to wipe the slate clean and start over in the summer

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
we win tonight and i wonder what gorton is thinking. keep the team together and keep this run going riding shesty and georgie as far as they can take us seems reasonable.

its going to make things interesting.

also. the better the team plays the better guys like kreider and fast and skjei and strome look and the better the potential haul.

if they are moved, its more about players coming back than it is more picks. to keep this momentum going, we need to ADD talent rather than guys who aren't ready and/or picks. we have a decent stock pile of kids waiting on defense. thinner on forwards. lots of goalies.

building or rebuilding is nice, but this rebuild is ahead of schedule with the seasons that mika, bread, and tony and adam and ryan and even buchy are having. and now kreider is red hot. this group needs to keep this going.

we cannot afford to dismantle and go backwards and this is coming from someone who wanted to rebuild it after hayes was shipped out.

gorton is in a tough spot the decision he makes with #20 is gonna determine a lot for this season.

There comes a time when 'the future' becomes 'the now' and if we're not exactly at 'the now' stage IMO we're pretty close. If Zibanejad hadn't been knocked out of the lineup for 13 games he's in the 70's as far as points now--he's prorating a 100 point season and so is Panarin and basically on two separate lines. The defense had provided of offense and the last month or so it's tightened up a lot. The goaltending is almost always at least good and sometimes spectacular. We have had some depth problems as far as our bottom two lines but moving in players like DiGiuseppe and hopefully Gauthier helps make them deeper.

....and the questions if we do move Kreider are this--is what we get back going to be worth it? and how will moving him effect a team that seems to be gelling? The question of keeping him is about term and $'s and how that effects what the Rangers do in the off season. But Strome, DeAngelo, Lemieux and Georgiev are all RFA's we can kick those cans down the road and move those players---we have some control over all of them.

I'm inclined to hang on to Kreider---worry about the consequences later.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
I’m concerned this little run and maybe sneaking into the playoffs are altering the rebuild plans. It’s a really hard decision to move key pieces but probably the right one. I would hate for us to build up this nice prospect pool but still be missing that one more game breaker, and end up like a Nashville. A good team but not great team always missing that final piece. If we do keep Kreider, then I really hope we sell Strome and Fast ASAP. That’s $7m in savings that can go to other raises while Kakko, Chytil, Gautier and maybe a prospect to be acquired get a nice minute boost. I’d be 100% for signing Kreider this summer if we can get a top 10 talent this year, there will be a falling player with a goalie and Maybe a couple of D sneaking in.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Nill making a push to make noise in the playoffs again this year makes sense

If they flame out early I could see him being axed. They already fired the coach, would give management an excuse to wipe the slate clean and start over in the summer

Well the coach thing I wouldn’t categorize as a real “firing”. They didn’t let him go b/c he was a bad coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad