Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XXXII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Updated TSN Trade Board...Georgiev drops to #39. JT Miller drops to #26. Kessel drops to #45. Nils at #51.

Jacob Middleton enters the top 10. Go get em Drury! SJ has cap issues.

1647469915039.png

1647469993739.png
1647470247663.png

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

Why did the Rangers make this deal?​

Arthur Staple, Rangers senior writer: The Rangers have had plenty of success this season but they’ve done it with a bottom-six forward group that’s a real patchwork of NHL and AHL veterans. Vatrano gives them a skill boost on the third line and he could even move up with Kaapo Kakko still out. They need offense from beyond their big forwards and Vatrano could help provide that.

Where does Vatrano fit in the lineup?​

Staple: He could start anywhere from on a third line with Barclay Goodrow and Filip Chytil all the way up to the right side with top-liners Chris Kreider and Mika Zibanejad or on the second line with Artemi Panarin and Ryan Strome. Vatrano has speed and size and a willingness to shoot the puck, so he could be a fit with the playmakers Panarin and Strome in the short term.

57 of Vatrano's 64 goals as a Panther came at 5 on 5. The Rangers need any type of offense at 5 on 5. Are the Rangers acquiring another winger? They have Kreider, Panarin, Lafrenière. Goodrow, Vatrano and Kakko(when he returns, he is supposed to return based on what Gallant has said). If they acquire another top 9 winger, someone is going to the 4th line. The Rangers are paying Goodrow $3.64M. Is he playing on the 4th line? Vatrano's skill set is not suited for a 4th line player.

Reactions: Cmox

RagFinMet

Jan 5, 2019

57 of Vatrano's 64 goals as a Panther came at 5 on 5. The Rangers need any type of offense at 5 on 5. Are the Rangers acquiring another winger? They have Kreider, Panarin, Lafrenière. Goodrow, Vatrano and Kakko(when he returns, he is supposed to return based on what Gallant has said). If they acquire another top 9 winger, someone is going to the 4th line. The Rangers are paying Goodrow $3.64M. Is he playing on the 4th line? Vatrano's skill set is not suited for a 4th line player.
Goodrow has played on the 4th line plenty.
In fact he doesn't impress me much and that's where he should play...

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

Goodrow's contract doesnt matter if hes on the 4th Line. We all know hes going to get plenty of minutes in the playoffs. He basically gets double shifted late in games already regardless of what line hes on

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Vatrano's ability to be effective and stick in lineup will come down to his D coverage. He apparently may have tunnel vision issues similar to Gauthier. I don't need him to be an elite passer, but he won't stick top 6 if he can't make a pass. And he may not stick on the bottom 6 if he can't get be relied on in the D zone. So, we'll see. He's always felt like an underrated, dangerous player whenever NYR played against him. But, we'll see. I just hope he's not one of those tweeners like Gauthier where they can't really be a top 6 forward because they lack vision and creativity. And can't stick bottom 6 because they can't be relied upon. That is seriously the biggest issue with our secondary forwards outside of Goody and Reaves. To some extent that description works for Gauthier, Chytil, McKegg, Hunt and, I would argue, Rooney. The team desperately needs a 200 ft player who can compliment any line. We need another Goody or Fast type desperately. Vatrano isn't that it seems, but if he can lift our offense a bit and provide some depth and grit, then he's worth the pick (for sure).

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Vatrano's ability to be effective and stick in lineup will come down to his D coverage. He apparently may have tunnel vision issues similar to Gauthier. I don't need him to be an elite passer, but he won't stick top 6 if he can't make a pass. And he may not stick on the bottom 6 if he can't get be relied on in the D zone. So, we'll see. He's always felt like an underrated, dangerous player whenever NYR played against him. But, we'll see. I just hope he's not one of those tweeners like Gauthier where they can't really be a top 6 forward because they lack vision and creativity. And can't stick bottom 6 because they can't be relied upon. That is seriously the biggest issue with our secondary forwards outside of Goody and Reaves. To some extent that description works for Gauthier, Chytil, McKegg, Hunt and, I would argue, Rooney. The team desperately needs a 200 ft player who can compliment any line. We need another Goody or Fast type desperately. Vatrano isn't that it seems, but if he can lift our offense a bit and provide some depth and grit, then he's worth the pick (for sure).
The difference between Vatrano and Gauthier is Vatrano can actually shoot the puck for one, as well as he finds ways to get his shot off. He's a like a rich man's version of Gauthier.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
8.135x8 for Hertl and 8.5x8 for Mika.

Much rather have Mika on his new deal than Hertl on his. Mika is a discount compared to this as far as I’m concerned. Better player, more productive and without the knee and injury issues.

Mika has a full NMC throughout which makes a big difference. That helped suppress the AAV. Hertl is an excellent player, probably better 5v5 but I don't think it's the right move for SJ where their organization is.

Reactions: Boris Zubov and Tob

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

He played almost every game in 1819,1920, and 2021. He's played most this year but has been a healthy scratch because of FLA's depth. I don't know why you think he wouldn't stick in the lineup. He's somewhere between the 5th and 8th best forward on the roster right now.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
He played almost every game in 1819,1920, and 2021. He's played most this year but has been a healthy scratch because of FLA's depth. I don't know why you think he wouldn't stick in the lineup. He's somewhere between the 5th and 8th best forward on the roster right now.
What were his ststs from the 1819 season?

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
So I wonder if this is the only forward add the NYR make? I suppose it kind of depends on what the real story is with the health of Kakko / Rooney,

I’d expect one more to bump Brodzinski and McKegg to the AHL eventually

Gauthier may also go for a pick

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Anxious to see what the Chiarot return is. Dont think the Rangers will be the aning spot but if he goes for less than a 1st its a good sign

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Love the Vatrano trade. IMO pretty much perfect fit for us for now

If we want a depth defenseman, Brett Kulak could be had for cheaper than Middleton or Chiarot. Another name I like is Dean Kukan from CBJ. Gets blocked by their LHD depth but solid defensively and has untapped offensive potential

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad