Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XXI

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Jonathan: noted poor sense of humor
View attachment 460730
vPIiH2p.jpg

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Not that I think he's getting traded at this point, and especially not to NYR who don't seem to care in the least unless they get it at a bargain basement price, but it's still the boring part of the offseason:

Would the Rangers be able to involve Seattle to hold some cap? Seattle appears to be taking the long way around here, be bad before good. They also were/are interested in Strome. Rangers get Eichel at 75% plus a conditional 3rd 2023 from Seattle (2nd if Strome re-signs), Seattle gets Strome and eats 25% of the Eichel contract for the next 5 years.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Have been mostly paying attention to the Yankees recently, but read something from a few days ago from Carp talking about Rangers potentially using Zibanejad to get Eichel?

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
Have been mostly paying attention to the Yankees recently, but read something from a few days ago from Carp talking about Rangers potentially using Zibanejad to get Eichel?
Carp has just been flipping two coins and hoping they both come up heads. So far, he's done nothing.

Reactions: GoAwayPanarin

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
If I’m Vancouver I’m asking for Fox. When that gets shot down, Lafreniere or Kakko +++

As a Canucks fan, I'd be into Lafreniere + Barron + prospect, if that was on the table. Not saying it would be, not sure how u guys value them.

What are rangers forward lines this year so far?

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I honestly would love for us to just start the season the way we are now. Let Strome and Chytil battle it out, let Kravtsov and Kakko battle it out. Give Lundkvist a real shot this year to prove he has it, and see how we do. At Christmas you make your decisions on Strome and Mika. I think Gallant's team is gonna be better because players are older, there's a proper offseason, a proper preseason and because problems around forechecking, grit and bottom pair d have been helped.
I really hope we see Panarin Strome and Kravtsov for an extended time this year.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
As a Canucks fan, I'd be into Lafreniere + Barron + prospect, if that was on the table. Not saying it would be, not sure how u guys value them.

What are rangers forward lines this year so far?
And you'd be well within your rights to ask that, but we can't afford to trade Laf at this juncture. Petterson might be one of the only guys I'd be ok with trading Kakko for though.

Is there a sense around the Canucks that there's even a remote possibility that he could be traded?

Reactions: egelband

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
And you'd be well within your rights to ask that, but we can't afford to trade Laf at this juncture. Petterson might be one of the only guys I'd be ok with trading Kakko for though.

Is there a sense around the Canucks that there's even a remote possibility that he could be traded?

Just the thing he said today about wanting to play for a team that had a chance to win...Lol

Reactions: tlk and egelband

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I know people are tired of hearing it... but Dvorak is the move.

He's the 2way middle 6 center we need.

His best asset is his cap hit, im ok with him but we'd have to be sure that Chytil was gonna take 2c because i don't see Dvorak as a 2c on a cup team.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012

Barron can be that guy, and for much cheaper, given ur gonna have lots of higher paid players soon. (Due to lots of talent)

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Another kid born pretty much after Messier retired being coached by their agents

5jaobq.jpg

So you're saying he can't like Messier or be a Messier fan because he was born after Messier retired?

So he must be saying it just because he's coached by his agent?

I'm calling complete BS on that logic. I mean sure, he MIGHT be coached by his agent in that regard. Or he could simply love hockey and know about great and historical players within hockey. You know, like so many other kids do every single day, regarding Football, Baseball, Basketball, Soccer and yes, even Hockey.

I mean I can't say for sure. But there is this thing called the Hockey Hall of Fame which organizes history... and then like, all the media outlets that write articles or books about the history and the countless clips available to view, especially as you start getting to the 80's and 90's and especially with the existence of the internet.

And thinking back, my high school baseball team, some of us used to watch clips of Hank Aaron, Whitey Ford, Reggie Jackson, Goose, Nolan Ryan and Mickey Mantle and we used to steal their batting stances and pitching styles. Thurman Munson was a big catcher influence. All players before our time. And pretty much every person I have ever played ball with, or hockey for that matter, has some understanding of the history and the greats. And some, who were more serious about playing those sports would even try to learn from them by watching old clips. And often they even had families who were very into the sport, thus fathers and uncles or whatever that would constantly talk about older players. And coaches, who would even specifically suggest watching certain players if they thought something about that players technique could help a kid.

It's possible I was just in some special universe where people who wanted to play the game were also students of the game and students of history.

The same goes for just about every single musician I know, which is a lot. And artists, writers... really many who take their activity with some semblance of seriousness. Certainly not ALL. But many.

Actually, Alex Rodriguez and a guy named Sid and other players have mentioned something similar from what I remember. When they was first coming up.

Maybe you are right though. But that's not something you can just tell because a kid referenced a player before his time.

Last edited:

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Was thinking about Kravtsov today, what do you guys expect from him this year? Is 15/25 too much?

I would hope he could reach 25/30 points in a full 82 game season. Obviously, he's got much higher ceiling as he matures. But for a first full season, somewhere in that realm would be reasonable. It will really depend on what kind of chances he gets, if he gets any PP time and what line he plays on. It's hard to tell off of such a short first stint. But sometimes rookies like Krav come in a season later and look like completely different players. Hopefully, he takes a step. But definitely need to be patient if he doesn't.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Not that I think he's getting traded at this point, and especially not to NYR who don't seem to care in the least unless they get it at a bargain basement price, but it's still the boring part of the offseason:

Would the Rangers be able to involve Seattle to hold some cap? Seattle appears to be taking the long way around here, be bad before good. They also were/are interested in Strome. Rangers get Eichel at 75% plus a conditional 3rd 2023 from Seattle (2nd if Strome re-signs), Seattle gets Strome and eats 25% of the Eichel contract for the next 5 years.

Drury is playing this smart, so I doubt it. Still doesn't seem like Eichel would be coming to the NYR out of the teams that are likely interested. Rangers, I am not sure are even that serious about him unless the price did come down substantially as you said. I could definitely see 2 or 3 other teams biting before they peaked Drury's full attention.

Also though, that doesn't seem reasonable, for a third party to take even 25% of his cap hit. At least, I don't see why Seattle would do something like that when they could probably, for slightly more, just get Eichel instead of Strome. At least if you add 25% of Eichel's capt hit to Strome's price tag, they might as well just go for Eichel.

All though I do like the idea of sending Strome to Seattle. Not sure what kind of return we could get. I would be happy with like Gourde and a 2nd round pick or something. I would gather Beniers is out of the question unless they are getting someone like Eichel, which is a shame lol.

Last edited:

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006

I have been pounding the Dvorak drum for like 6 months. And then the Coyotes let their asking price be known. And that pretty much ended any and all conversation about him. As long as the Coyotes want a good 1st round talent plus a 1st round pick or another 1st round talent, I doubt Dvorak is going anywhere. He's still young, on a good contract with a few years left. They have no need to move him and their asking price shows they don't really want to. He would fit absolutely perfectly. But I just can't see it happening unless Arizona comes down on their price substantially.

Supposedly they wanted Newhook from the AVS and the Avs said no. Or was it Krebs and Vegas? I forget now. But that's the kind of player they are looking for PLUS something else.

We would probably have to put up like Lundqvist or Kravtsov or Miller. I would actually consider Miller if it were a 1 for 1 trade, but I could see why the Rangers might not. And the Yotes still might want a pick on top.

The only thing that makes sense to me, and the only way I could see it actually happening, is if Arizona was willing to take Strome, who only has 1 year left on his contract, so that they could let his contract run out and gain that cap space. Which would probably also mean we would need to send something extra along with him. But Arizona is stacking up soon to be ending contracts, trying to free up as much Cap space over the next couple of seasons. So maybe something like that could be worked out, but doesn't seem likely right now.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Drury is playing this smart, so I doubt it. Still doesn't seem like Eichel would be coming to the NYR out of the teams that are likely interested. Rangers, I am not sure are even that serious about him unless the price did come down substantially as you said. I could definitely see 2 or 3 other teams biting before they peaked Drury's full attention.

Also though, that doesn't seem reasonable, for a third party to take even 25% of his cap hit. At least, I don't see why Seattle would do something like that when they could probably, for slightly more, just get Eichel instead of Strome. At least if you add 25% of Eichel's capt hit to Strome's price tag, they might as well just go for Eichel.

All though I do like the idea of sending Strome to Seattle. Not sure what kind of return we could get. I would be happy with like Gourde and a 2nd round pick or something. I would gather Beniers is out of the question unless they are getting someone like Eichel, which is a shame lol.
Seattle doesn’t have the assets to get Eichel.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Seattle doesn’t have the assets to get Eichel.

Ehhh that's just media rhetoric. They HAVE the assets, it's a matter of if they are willing to move them or not.
I think if they put a package together that included Beniers, a couple of 1st round picks maybe and something else, they could do it if they wanted to. Every team HAS the assets. Just some have more which allows them to give up more. I mean, it would cost Seattle a lot but I am sure they could put together a package the Sabres would accept if Seattle really, really wanted him bad. If they had kept Vanecek instead of that weird draft and release or whatever, he could have been a good chip too. I would think Seattle probably doesn't want to give up 2 future 1st and Beniers though. Just like the Rangers don't want to give up Lundqvist, Kravtsov or Chytil. Rangers just happen to have more.

Especially if the price keeps coming down on Eichel. More and more teams will dip their feet in the water as it becomes more realistic for them to make an offer.

Last edited:

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
His best asset is his cap hit, im ok with him but we'd have to be sure that Chytil was gonna take 2c because i don't see Dvorak as a 2c on a cup team.

I think if you put Dvorak next to Panarin and Kravtsov or something, he would look a lot more like a legit 2C. He's just not flashy or anything. But I have no doubt with the right line, he could score 60+ points and be a 200ft player. I would honestly rather have him than Cirelli and Tampa seems to do just fine.

But it's unlikely to happen. Arizona just wants way too much for him. I think he'd be perfect for the Rangers. And I do think Chytil is ready for 2C anyway. Which would make Dvorak our 3C for now. But then there's a chance we don't re-sign Zibs.

Chytil has been progressing great for 4 years now. Last year he showed he could be a legit top 6 center. He just needs to improve on faceoffs, but that's not a huge deal right now. They could always put someone who could take faceoffs on his wing.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006

If we were getting the right player in return, we could absolutely afford to trade Lafrenier. If we were getting say, McDavid, Matthews or MacKinnon. I am not sure Pettersson would warrant it though. Great talent, but, like Eichel, he still has a lot to prove. Frankly, I wouldn't trade Kakko for him either. Just like I wouldn't for Eichel. And all things considered, if they were both of equal health, I would rather have Eichel than EP. But I don't want Eichel lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad