Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XXI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
I honestly would love for us to just start the season the way we are now. Let Strome and Chytil battle it out, let Kravtsov and Kakko battle it out. Give Lundkvist a real shot this year to prove he has it, and see how we do. At Christmas you make your decisions on Strome and Mika. I think Gallant's team is gonna be better because players are older, there's a proper offseason, a proper preseason and because problems around forechecking, grit and bottom pair d have been helped.
I really hope we see Panarin Strome and Kravtsov for an extended time this year.

Completely agree. Gallant going to spread the playing time and PP time out way better than Quinn did. And I think he will put the players into more consistent lines so they can actually build chemistry.

I wouldn't be shocked if Chytil ended up as our 2C with Goodrow or Strome on his RW, with the other one being 3C. I know, Goodrow isn't exactly a scoring demon. But a line with Panarin - Chytil - Goodrow I still think would put up a lot of points. Would probably be Goodrow's highest scoring season ever. Otherwise putting Panarin - Chytil - Strome could work. All though that line might not be quite tough enough for all occasions. The problem with Chytil right now, the only reason I think he isn't automatically our 2c is his lousy faceoff %. So he will need a winger who can take faceoffs. Which probably does put him at 3C, at least for the beginning of the season with Kreider and Goodrow, Goodrow for faceoffs. It's too bad Kakko can't take faceoffs, because a line of Panarin - Chytil - Kakko would probably be outstanding. Laf - Zib - Kravtsov on line 1..... anyway. Chytil has some work to do with those faceoffs.

I think Lundqvist will get plenty of chances if he is ready. I also think we could see more of Jones and Schneider than people are expecting. Obviously, they all have to prove it though. But if they are up to snuff, I could see at least Lundqvist and Jones getting real opportunity this season. And Schneider maybe forcing his way into the picture after a few months in the AHL. Unless he blows everyone out of the water in preseason. But that goes for any of our non NHL prospects.

Reactions: jay from jersey

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Ehhh that's just media rhetoric. They HAVE the assets, it's a matter of if they are willing to move them or not.
I think if they put a package together that included Beniers, a couple of 1st round picks maybe and something else, they could do it if they wanted to. Every team HAS the assets. Just some have more which allows them to give up more. I mean, it would cost Seattle a lot but I am sure they could put together a package the Sabres would accept if Seattle really, really wanted him bad. If they had kept Vanecek instead of that weird draft and release or whatever, he could have been a good chip too. I would think Seattle probably doesn't want to give up 2 future 1st and Beniers though. Just like the Rangers don't want to give up Lundqvist, Kravtsov or Chytil. Rangers just happen to have more.

Especially if the price keeps coming down on Eichel. More and more teams will dip their feet in the water as it becomes more realistic for them to make an offer.
It's not media rhetoric, it's fact. Their assets consist of Matty Beniers and expansion draft fodder. They aren't trading for Eichel. Anyone can see what their plan is seeing how they passed over a lot of better players to take worse ones.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
It's not media rhetoric, it's fact. Their assets consist of Matty Beniers and expansion draft fodder. They aren't trading for Eichel. Anyone can see what their plan is seeing how they passed over a lot of better players to take worse ones.

No.

Erm.... those aren’t the same thing. If your point is they have a different plan and they aren’t interested in Eichel, that’s one thing and I would agree. They won’t want to move the assets they do have for what it would cost.

I’m pretty sure every nhl team could put together a package that Sabre’s would accept. But then a lot of teams would be emptying their farm and future, which most teams wouldn’t want to do.

But if it’s that they “don’t have the assets” then that is just rhetoric, because they do. They could put a package together if they badly wanted to. Say Beniers, Lind and 2 or 3 future 1sts and im pretty sure Sabre’ would accept.

But they don’t.

Last edited:

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Erm.... those aren’t the same thing. If your point is they have a different plan and they aren’t interested in Eichel, that’s one thing and I would agree. They won’t want to move the assets they do have for what it would cost.

I’m pretty sure every nhl team could put together a package that Sabre’s would accept. But then a lot of teams would be emptying their farm and future, which most teams wouldn’t want to do.

But if it’s that they “don’t have the assets” then that is just rhetoric, because they do. They could easily put a package together if they badly wanted to.

But they don’t.
One draft and One expansion draft =/= having assets. They are the most asset poor team in the league right now. Pretty simple stuff here.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
One draft and One expansion draft =/= having assets. They are the most asset poor team in the league right now. Pretty simple stuff here.

Yea it is. Not sure why you’re having a hard time understanding. If they offered like Beniers, Lind, Cholowski or maybe some other prospect they do have, with like 3 1st round picks, I’m pretty sure BUFfalo is taking that, the way things stand and where they are going. OR Appleton, Geekie etc. Beniers alone is worth more than most of the Ranger players being bandied about, minus Kakko. And I’m not sure Kakko is worth Beniers honestly at this point. And yes, Beniers is more valuable than Lundqvist.

But kraken wouldn’t do that, so it’s irrelevant. But they have assets. Like I said, all teams do if they want it bad enough. The whole “they don’t have the assets” is rhetoric, meaning they don’t have extra that they’d be willing to give up. Not that they don’t actually have them.

Calgary is interested, how are their assets? They don’t have any worth as much as Beniers. Well, outside of Tkachuk maybe.
What all teams don’t have is cap space.

Last edited:

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Yea it is. Not sure why you’re having a hard time understanding. If they offered like Beniers, Lind, Cholowski or maybe some other prospect they do have, with like 3 1st round picks, I’m pretty sure BUFfalo is taking that, the way things stand and where they are going. OR Appleton, Geekie etc.

But kraken wouldn’t do that, so it’s irrelevant. But they have assets. Like I said, all teams do if they want it bad enough. The whole “they don’t have the assets” is rhetoric, meaning they don’t have extra that they’d be willing to give up. Not that they don’t actually have them.

What all teams don’t have is cap space.
1. No team is trading 3 firsts for him.
2. Seattle can't afford that anyway.
3. Beniers is the only player of value in that offer, and he's their first ever draft pick - he's not being traded.

Their farm system consists of 8 players at this point - they don't have the ability to trade for him.

It's not realistic. It doesn't have a shadow of a chance of happening. You are wrong. This "hur durr every team could trade for him!" is just dummy talk. If you can't afford it, that means you don't have it. And Seattle can't afford it.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I think if you put Dvorak next to Panarin and Kravtsov or something, he would look a lot more like a legit 2C. He's just not flashy or anything. But I have no doubt with the right line, he could score 60+ points and be a 200ft player. I would honestly rather have him than Cirelli and Tampa seems to do just fine.

But it's unlikely to happen. Arizona just wants way too much for him. I think he'd be perfect for the Rangers. And I do think Chytil is ready for 2C anyway. Which would make Dvorak our 3C for now. But then there's a chance we don't re-sign Zibs.

Chytil has been progressing great for 4 years now. Last year he showed he could be a legit top 6 center. He just needs to improve on faceoffs, but that's not a huge deal right now. They could always put someone who could take faceoffs on his wing.
I also think Dvo would fit like a glove here. It would give us a lot more insulation with Chytil as well If he doesn’t progress or takes another year and a half to come into his own. I was talking with some Yotes fans and they were remember articles quoting Matt Tkachuk in juniors, how he was gushing about Dvorak being so talented and a one of the hardest workers he’d ever seen. Dvo was his center when they were younger. I also think a line of Panarin-DVorak-kravtsov/Blais would work really well and you would for sure see an uptick in his overall points.
I think the comparison with Tampa/Cirelli is pretty good, and if chytil runs away with the 2C role, a 3rd line of goodrow-DVorak-Barron/Kravtsov would also be quite a handful to deal with.
If Barron can come away with the 3C Job out of camp it would be amazing, it can be possible but it’s also a lot to ask in his first full season. The prospect of having Dvo being able to be a solid 2C or excellent 3C is the thing I really keep coming back to.
Chytil at this point is mainly an offensive C. If he can’t handle or fails at full 2C minutes, I don’t see him being able to slide down and play the role that gallant would want as a 3C as well as Dvorak if called upon. His contract and age are also a huge selling point for me. Especially if we’re resigning Zibby, it’s very valuable to have a good young 2/3C that plays a solid 200ft game, is good at the dot, and can add offense as well.
As far as trade cost goes, I think this is actually where it works in our favor. ARI is loading up for the next 2 drafts, and it’s pretty apparent they are tanking for Wright/Bedard but just don’t want to say it. The rumored asking price was a 1st plus good prospect. Remember the Yotes only have Hutton in net right now, they still have to try to field a competitive team, Georgiev is a great add for the atm, they are also currently cash poor so getting Dvorak’s 4.5 mill a year off the books for them is a win in 2 ways, financially and improving their draft position. It’s likely they might just be trying to make the playoffs as his deal is nearing or at its end, so he’s not a future piece for them in the long run. They also lost Goligoski to Minn, their PP was dreadful as it is, but now without Gogo/OEL they have just Chychrun on the back end. Jones would be an extremely enticing piece to add with top 4 D potential and the ability to run their PP.
I’m sure they would ask for the moon ( lundkvist/Schneider ) at first like any GM would, but DVO ain’t bringing that back, especially with a 1st involved.
I really think 1st-Jones-Georgiev probably gets it done.
Would love it if Drury would even try both of our 2nds, Jones, Geo and see if they bite.
If they took the 2 2nds offer that would give them 9 picks in the first 2 rounds next year. Add that with Jones, Chychrun, Jenik, and a couple other interesting prospects and it’s a pretty solid start to their rebuild.
But I really don’t think the cost is too crazy.

Last edited:

ETTER DE

Jun 24, 2017
On Pionk, Nurse, Goligoski contracts etc...what I do think is happening is that good dmen who can skate (minimum) and possess the size and/or puck wizardry teams want are becoming a really valuable commodity around the league. Expansion plus even further emphasis on foot speed in the last 5-7 years means supply of the right players has not kept up w demand.

NYR should be sitting pretty with their stable of D prospects.

Think you are onto something. The cap situation has also forced a lot of teams to use young players. Fast or skilled players but not very physical. Pionk has become much more physical than he was in the last couple of years. And he can skate. Just the D you need in todays NHL. And last time i watched Winnipeg he was not on their 1st powerplay unit. Reading the Jets board he got more praise for his defensive play.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
1. No team is trading 3 firsts for him.
2. Seattle can't afford that anyway.
3. Beniers is the only player of value in that offer, and he's their first ever draft pick - he's not being traded.

Their farm system consists of 8 players at this point - they don't have the ability to trade for him.

It's not realistic. It doesn't have a shadow of a chance of happening. You are wrong. This "hur durr every team could trade for him!" is just dummy talk. If you can't afford it, that means you don't have it. And Seattle can't afford it.

Rofl the only dummy argument here seems like yours. You don’t even realize you confirmed everything I said and then contradicted yourself because you’re having a dumb pissing contest with yourself.

“Seattle can’t afford that anyway.” Uh no , if they have that, they can afford that, they choose not to. Do you know what words mean?

The point was simple. And correct. YOU are wrong about the “don’t have the assets” when you clearly see that they do but won’t pay that price. Make up your mind lol. You just sound confused.

There you go, just repeating what I said and not getting the point. YOU confirm everything I said, and then continue on with the BS “they don’t have have the ability” when the rest of your argument states that they WONT trade for him and not CANT trade for him. which was the point in this entirely hypothetical conversation.

Yea, I went over it. And teams aren’t giving 3 firsts, and if you haven’t noticed, they aren’t giving multiple high level prospects either. And as I stated, as the price comes down, as it is, more teams will dip their feet in the water and choose to consider it.

Luckily, it probably won’t be the Rangers that get him.

And yes, this entire conversation was based on hypothetical speculation. It was always a hypothetical conversation, that likely won’t happen based on a speculative 3 part trade that almost definitely won’t happen. Good job. Glad you’re caught up.

Last edited:

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
I also think Dvo would fit like a glove here. It would give us a lot more insulation with Chytil as well If he doesn’t progress or takes another year and a half to come into his own. I was talking with some Yotes fans and they were remember articles quoting Matt Tkachuk in juniors, how he was gushing about Dvorak being so talented and a one of the hardest workers he’d ever seen. Dvo was his center when they were younger. I also think a line of Panarin-DVorak-kravtsov/Blais would work really well and you would for sure see an uptick in his overall points.
I think the comparison with Tampa/Cirelli is pretty good, and if chytil runs away with the 2C role, a 3rd line of goodrow-DVorak-Barron/Kravtsov would also be quite a handful to deal with.
If Barron can come away with the 3C Job out of camp it would be amazing, it can be possible but it’s also a lot to ask in his first full season. The prospect of having Dvo being able to be a solid 2C or excellent 3C is the thing I really keep coming back to.
Chytil at this point is mainly an offensive C. If he can’t handle or fails at full 2C minutes, I don’t see him being able to slide down and play the role that gallant would want as a 3C as well as Dvorak if called upon. His contract and age are also a huge selling point for me. Especially if we’re resigning Zibby, it’s very valuable to have a good young 2/3C that plays a solid 200ft game, is good at the dot, and can add offense as well.
As far as trade cost goes, I think this is actually where it works in our favor. ARI is loading up for the next 2 drafts, and it’s pretty apparent they are tanking for Wright/Bedard but just don’t want to say it. The rumored asking price was a 1st plus good prospect. Remember the Yotes only have Hutton in net right now, they still have to try to field a competitive team, Georgiev is a great add for the atm, they are also currently cash poor so getting Dvorak’s 4.5 mill a year off the books for them is a win in 2 ways, financially and improving their draft position. It’s likely they might just be trying to make the playoffs as his deal is nearing or at its end, so he’s not a future piece for them in the long run. They also lost Goligoski to Minn, their PP was dreadful as it is, but now without Gogo/OEL they have just Chychrun on the back end. Jones would be an extremely enticing piece to add with top 4 D potential and the ability to run their PP.
I’m sure they would ask for the moon ( lundkvist/Schneider ) at first like any GM would, but DVO ain’t bringing that back, especially with a 1st involved.
Would love it if Drury would even try both of our 2nds, Jones, Geo and see if they bite.
If they took the 2 2nds offer that would give them 9 picks in the first 2 rounds next year. Add that with Jones, Chychrun, Jenik, and a couple other interesting prospects and it’s a pretty solid start to their rebuild.

That’s way too much for Dvorak. No way is he worth JOnes, Georgiev and a 1st. He’s a middle 6 center. Or adding 2nds. That’s the problem. If he was worth that teams would have offered that.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006

And Chytil was our best defensive center per ATOI. So I do think he could handle those responsibilities as good as any of our other centers. He was net positive both offense and defense. And mostly played at even strength.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
That’s way too much for Dvorak. No way is he worth JOnes, Georgiev and a 1st. He’s a middle 6 center. Or adding 2nds. That’s the problem. If he was worth that teams would have offered that.
That’s what’s I’m saying though, it might be a little more, but that’s a trade that doesn’t really hurt the rangers.
They keep all of their higher end prospects and Jones isn’t really likely to see too much time with Lindgren, Miller, Robertson, and perhaps in the future Lundkvist all vying for the same 2 spots on the rangers D.
If they feel like DVO is a add that gets them over the hump, or makes their middle 6 better in the long/ short term

Reactions: skipmowerman

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
That’s what’s I’m saying though, it might be a little more, but that’s a trade that doesn’t really hurt the rangers.
They keep all of their higher end prospects and Jones isn’t really likely to see too much time with Lindgren, Miller, Robertson, and perhaps in the future Lundkvist all vying for the same 2 spots on the rangers D

That’s where I disagree. Jones is ahead of Robertson. I understand people like Robertson, but he still needs to pull ahead of Jones before that’s true. And Jones stands to see way more time this season than Robertson. And long term if he’s as good as advertised. His ceiling as an all around player right now is higher than Robertson. Jones is about as high end as Miller right now. Just behind in his development which should change this season. I like Robertson too, but can’t undervalue Jones. He’s the more valuable piece right now. And would probably be our best offensive LD. At least his offensive upside is even higher than Miller. No clue if he’ll reach it though.

But even if we can afford it, it’s not good asset management and still an overpayment. I don’t think that’s worth it even if we have surplus.

Last edited:

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Think you are onto something. The cap situation has also forced a lot of teams to use young players. Fast or skilled players but not very physical. Pionk has become much more physical than he was in the last couple of years. And he can skate. Just the D you need in todays NHL. And last time i watched Winnipeg he was not on their 1st powerplay unit. Reading the Jets board he got more praise for his defensive play.
Pionk is, essentially, the same player that he was when he was with the Rangers. In case you haven't noticed, there are hoards of Ranger fans who like to target particular players and label them as AHL level trash. Pionk wasn't and never will be a shut down D. He was, and still is, a very good puck moving D who can contribute to the offense.

Reactions: brakeyawself

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
That’s where I disagree. Jones is ahead of Robertson. I understand people like Robertson, but he still needs to pull ahead of Jones before that’s true. And Jones stands to see way more time this season than Robertson. And long term if he’s as good as advertised. His ceiling as an all around player right now is higher than Robertson.

But even if we can afford it, it’s not good asset management and still an overpayment. I don’t think that’s worth it even if we have surplus.
I could see that, but Jones is going to have a harder time because of his size and style of play. He has more offense then Robertson for sure, but he’s not as big and odds are he doesn’t turn into the better defensive D-Man. Jones is gonna have a real tough time cracking the top 6 if Fox and nils are already there playing heavy minutes.
I don’t think they are going to want redundant styles, Moreso players that would compliment each other.

I think ultimately it’s jones/Lundkvist/miller that are all going for that 3/4 D

Lindgren-Fox
Miller/Lundkvist /Jones- Trouba ( Schneider is 3years time)
Robertson—Nils for a year, then Schneider for a year or 2, then???
This season it’s Nemeth-Lundkvist

next year it could be Nemeth-Schneider, etc.

third pair just has to play their minimal minutes and be solid and help on the PK, that’s how it is on basically every team in the league. The top 4 are leaned on the heaviest and rightly so because they are paid the majority of the cash.

Last edited:

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
And Chytil was our best defensive center per ATOI. So I do think he could handle those responsibilities as good as any of our other centers. He was net positive both offense and defense. And mostly played at even strength.

I don’t think Flip is particularly bad defensively, but you’d probably be the best defender out of the trio with strome and Zibby.
I think he’ll get better at face offs as well, but I just think he’s more suited in playing with an offensive style rather then a Cirelli/Gourde heavy forecheck/and shut down line if need be, but I could be wrong. Either way, I hope to see his minutes increased and Strome go away lol

would be great if Barron comes out of camp with the 3C job basically grabbing the role we are talking about with Kreider and Goodrow

Reactions: skipmowerman

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
So if NYR does nothing else I was for Buch resigning then getting traded next year. Just saying

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
So if NYR does nothing else I was for Buch resigning then getting traded next year. Just saying
Yea, sucks to see him go, but kakko/ kravtsov can’t take a step fwd if another player is blocking their ice time. You’ve gotta give them a chance to sink or swim by playing .... we’re goin to see the same type of situation on the D next year as well, maybe even as early as mid-season I believe

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I have been pounding the Dvorak drum for like 6 months. And then the Coyotes let their asking price be known. And that pretty much ended any and all conversation about him. As long as the Coyotes want a good 1st round talent plus a 1st round pick or another 1st round talent, I doubt Dvorak is going anywhere. He's still young, on a good contract with a few years left. They have no need to move him and their asking price shows they don't really want to. He would fit absolutely perfectly. But I just can't see it happening unless Arizona comes down on their price substantially.

Supposedly they wanted Newhook from the AVS and the Avs said no. Or was it Krebs and Vegas? I forget now. But that's the kind of player they are looking for PLUS something else.

We would probably have to put up like Lundqvist or Kravtsov or Miller. I would actually consider Miller if it were a 1 for 1 trade, but I could see why the Rangers might not. And the Yotes still might want a pick on top.

The only thing that makes sense to me, and the only way I could see it actually happening, is if Arizona was willing to take Strome, who only has 1 year left on his contract, so that they could let his contract run out and gain that cap space. Which would probably also mean we would need to send something extra along with him. But Arizona is stacking up soon to be ending contracts, trying to free up as much Cap space over the next couple of seasons. So maybe something like that could be worked out, but doesn't seem likely right now.
From the reports I've seen, it's two good prospects -or- a 1st and a good prospect.

I'm sure a team will want Krebs or Newhook but it doesn't mean they will get them. That may also be including 'same division tax'.. We can land Dvorak without giving up Lundkvist, Kravtsov or Miller. He will not cost that much imo.

Either Zac Jones+ will be moved for a Dvorak type or Lundkvist will be moved for a Larkin/Krebs type.

Reactions: brakeyawself

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
From the reports I've seen, it's two good prospects -or- a 1st and a good prospect.

I'm sure a team will want Krebs or Newhook but it doesn't mean they will get them. That may also be including 'same division tax'.. We can land Dvorak without giving up Lundkvist, Kravtsov or Miller. He will not cost that much imo.

Either Zac Jones+ will be moved for a Dvorak type or Lundkvist will be moved for a Larkin/Krebs type.
My goal in life is to be as passionate about anything, as you are about Christian Dvorak.

Reactions: duhmetreE

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
If Drury wanted Dvorak, he could have traded for him by now. He has the assets and cap room to make that trade and everyone knows there is a market for Strome.

I'm getting the feeling that unless an Eichel deal falls into his lap, this is the roster we are starting the season with.

Still have around $6MM in cap space after thr rookie performance bonus overage that counts against the cap and that's with 24 players.

Think they take a bad contract back that has just 1 year left or LTIR?

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Rofl the only dummy argument here seems like yours. You don’t even realize you confirmed everything I said and then contradicted yourself because you’re having a dumb pissing contest with yourself.

“Seattle can’t afford that anyway.” Uh no , if they have that, they can afford that, they choose not to. Do you know what words mean?

The point was simple. And correct. YOU are wrong about the “don’t have the assets” when you clearly see that they do but won’t pay that price. Make up your mind lol. You just sound confused.

There you go, just repeating what I said and not getting the point. YOU confirm everything I said, and then continue on with the BS “they don’t have have the ability” when the rest of your argument states that they WONT trade for him and not CANT trade for him. which was the point in this entirely hypothetical conversation.

Yea, I went over it. And teams aren’t giving 3 firsts, and if you haven’t noticed, they aren’t giving multiple high level prospects either. And as I stated, as the price comes down, as it is, more teams will dip their feet in the water and choose to consider it.

Luckily, it probably won’t be the Rangers that get him.

And yes, this entire conversation was based on hypothetical speculation. It was always a hypothetical conversation, that likely won’t happen based on a speculative 3 part trade that almost definitely won’t happen. Good job. Glad you’re caught up.
If you have 1000 in your bank account and you need 1000 to pay your rent, you don’t go out and spend 900 on a new TV. They can’t afford to do it. It’s not realistic. You are very wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad