Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Drury has assets to get stuff done but with how inactive GMs are in this league, it’s just not possible to force things. I don’t think we are in a position where we must be inpatient with the center position.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
If Drury wanted Dvorak, he could have traded for him by now. He has the assets and cap room to make that trade and everyone knows there is a market for Strome.

I'm getting the feeling that unless an Eichel deal falls into his lap, this is the roster we are starting the season with.

i’m fine with the roster as is. With a new coach, roles defined and some stability i like how this teams looks.

BroadwayHustle

Feb 27, 2012
Drury has assets to get stuff done but with how inactive GMs are in this league, it’s just not possible to force things. I don’t think we are in a position where we must be inpatient with the center position.

Like how we heard the Flames are going to finally pull the trigger only to do nothing so far.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
If Drury wanted Dvorak, he could have traded for him by now. He has the assets and cap room to make that trade and everyone knows there is a market for Strome.

I'm getting the feeling that unless an Eichel deal falls into his lap, this is the roster we are starting the season with.

I second that Eichel somehow winds up on this team. How or for what is involved in him getting here, I have no idea. But the feeling in my gut has not gone away.
If Drury was interested in Danault, it’s not really a far leap to Dvorak.
I’m sure he’s kicking around Larkin and Eichel offers as well. And if Lindholm and Cirelli were available I’m sure he’d be lurking there too

hopefully someone gets dealt here soon so strome could be on the first this smoking out of NY

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
I'm not passionate about Dvorak per se, I'm passionate on how it's the 'perfect move' for this team. I think he's a solid player. He's just the final piece in my mental projection puzzle... I want to finish the puzzle.
Why do you see him as a huge upgrade over Strome? He doesn't have a great defensive track record and offensively he surely doesnt have the stats Strome does. Sure, hes on a great contract, but do we really need another 3C? I guess I don't understand the fit unless you are saying that you believe he has another gear to his game that will take him to elite 2C territory? If not, we should pass as he does not fill a need.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I'm not passionate about Dvorak per se, I'm passionate on how it's the 'perfect move' for this team. I think he's a solid player. He's just the final piece in my mental projection puzzle... I want to finish the puzzle.

imo, the Rangers need to figure out what they have before diving into a Dvorak. I don’t want to move a Chytil and Nils for a Dvorak only to see Chytil on a line one in AZ flooding the net with goals and Nils looking like Fox while Dvorak appears to be another Strome.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016
And Chytil was our best defensive center per ATOI. So I do think he could handle those responsibilities as good as any of our other centers. He was net positive both offense and defense. And mostly played at even strength.
Just love when people throw out a bunch of stats without more information. How about adding how much time he spent facing the top lines versus playing against 3rd lines. Behind every stat there is a story. My guess is if he played more against the top lines his stats would not be as good.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Like how we heard the Flames are going to finally pull the trigger only to do nothing so far.

To a large extent the environment in the NHL has premiered patient GMs and punished impatient once.

In addition, it is basically impossible to “go for it”, to a large extent because the younger players are both the best and the cheapest in many regards meaning that nobody is trading them. Anyone throwing a bunch of money at the best vets will just be disappointed.

Since it’s impossible to “go for it”, and the best option is to be “patient” — there is no pressure on the GMs in this league. There is so little pressure on a GM in this league that just sit still in the boat and builds patiently towards the future. The GM in Toronto will get called out for not being final 4. The rest has so little pressure on them.

One thing that can creat that scrutiny of their work — that instantly shows — is a trade. If you as a GM don’t make any trades, what can get you fired? What can make you look bad? You creat a horrible scouting department, it will show, after 5-10 years… There is just no incentive for so many of these guys to take any risk. Absent owners in most cases too.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I think if you put Dvorak next to Panarin and Kravtsov or something, he would look a lot more like a legit 2C. He's just not flashy or anything. But I have no doubt with the right line, he could score 60+ points and be a 200ft player. I would honestly rather have him than Cirelli and Tampa seems to do just fine.

But it's unlikely to happen. Arizona just wants way too much for him. I think he'd be perfect for the Rangers. And I do think Chytil is ready for 2C anyway. Which would make Dvorak our 3C for now. But then there's a chance we don't re-sign Zibs.

Chytil has been progressing great for 4 years now. Last year he showed he could be a legit top 6 center. He just needs to improve on faceoffs, but that's not a huge deal right now. They could always put someone who could take faceoffs on his wing.

You can guess that but nobody really knows. Everyone thought we could just drop player x on Panarin's wing and the guy gets 80 points, we found out that isn't true in either regard, as great of a player Panarin is he needs players with him that think the same way, thats why Strome is such a good fit there. Dvorak may not work with Panarin, then what? He's our 3rd line center making 4.5 mill? I dunno. If I'm moving on from Strome for an upgrade it better be for someone who is more of a sure thing.

Modest Grouse

Jun 20, 2019

I don't have sources like you do but that's the feeling I'm getting as well. And I think it's ok to start the season as is and see how this group performs. We're not winning the cup this year but we do need to make the playoffs and this squad should be able to do that.

While we will be forced to make decisions on Mika and Strome by the end of the season, it can happen around the trade deadline instead. We saw what happened when Drury forced a Buch deal into a buyers market and we need much better asset management if we're going to build a cup-contending team.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
By the numbers: Grading every NHL team’s contract efficiency, 2021 edition

21. New York Rangers

Last season: 28th

I just… I don’t get why the Rangers would do what they did this offseason. They were on the right track creating an uber-skilled team, but decided to go all in on grit after Tom Wilson ruffled their feathers. The end result is trading for Ryan Reaves who is no longer an NHL-calibre player, and signing Barclay Goodrow to an inexplicable six-year deal. The only reason that it’s not the team’s worst deal is because Jacob Trouba still exists. Overpaying Patrik Nemeth and signing Jarred Tinordi at all also doesn’t look wise.

The Rangers have a couple of good deals on the books in their two centers, Ryan Lindgren and Artemi Panarin for the next four years, but a fair bit of bad too. A team that’s coming out of a rebuild shouldn’t already have this many contract inefficiencies.

We're gonna have to shed the Trouba and Kreider deals at some point.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
Screenshot_20210812-102957_Instagram.jpg
They keep getting younger.

And I'm at the doctor waiting to get my yearly finger sweep.
#usingthewholefistdoc

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210812-102957_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20210812-102957_Instagram.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad