Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XVII What will Santa Gorton bring us?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Brooks selling his soul sucking up for Shatty. Any sane reporter would have yelled for Gorton to dump Shatty ASAP as his NMC was expiring last summer. Sorry, we are rebuilding, it’s not you it’s me. Not even a big thing PR wise or whatever people are worrying about.

Now Gorts stuck with this mess. Between Girardis BO, Staal, Smith and Shatty’s contract, it’s not good at all. Horrible for the rebuild. In 2020/21 it’s not going to be good to have like 1/4 of our cap spent on those guys.

Yeah I saw that. I respect Brooksie, but the term "excusable" and professional hockey don't mix imo. Not sure Quinny would be cool with letting a loser culture set in, but then again Brooksie's just stepping up for his guy and I don't have a problem with that.

It's just a little you know.... sentimental... I'd like the Old Brooks back where he was getting into it with Torts and Boyle. That was grade-a journalism. This sofff shit.... that's not the Brooks I grew up reading.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Because Kevin Hayes saw How High and decided that he wanted to be Method Man when he grew up.

That fell through though so he chose the next closest thing. A starting center for a professional hockey team.

Yeah but doing that in Colorado gives him the best of both worlds.

It's a dream scenario for him.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Both Greer and Bowers would be well known quantities to the Rangers, and you're right, it does get thin after their better prospects. This isn't a surprise year for COL, and they can take a step with a piece like Hayes. He fits them like a glove. Center with size that can play on the 2nd unit. Take any defensive pressure off of Mack between him and Soderberg. COL has a bunch of speedy wingers that will cover up Kevin's short-comings and open up the ice.

I'm more inclined towards Bowers than Greer simply due to the collegiate flame-out that Greer had. Maybe he didn't get the opportunity on a couple of deep teams, but he did well in other leagues. But that package would be more than adequate for a rental. But we know how frugal Sakic is... and add to that he's never bought at the deadline before.

You might have a guy that's just not going to pay a price.

Plus there's the question of whether or not Hayes wants to sign there long term. I think you're right that Hayes is a great fit on paper there but Sakic might not be the guy to go fishing for big additions at the deadline. However, if they can get him under contract and add Makar next fall they could be in good shape to compete for a number of years.

I've been somewhat bearish on Bowers since he was drafted but both he and Greer have their warts to go along with their potential. Slightly different players with slightly different upsides but both are the kind of prospects you gamble on as part of a rental deal. I think Greer was a victim of numbers at BU but he also took a big step forward once he left and has been having a very good season in the AHL this year.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
Igor Shyvrov and Nic Meloche are two other good options from Colorado. I like Kamenev too.

Boston’s first rounder could be interesting this year if they trade it. They’re getting slammed by injuries and aren’t having the same compensation from their depth as last year.

Reactions: Trxjw

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Why did the Rangers even sign Shattenkirk? Gorton traded Stepan and Raanta for futures. The Rangers are rebuilding. Right? No. They re-signed Smith and sign Shattenkirk to 4 year contracts. Their original plan was to sign 50 year old Joe Thornton with his knees being held together by rubber bands instead of Shattenkirk.

The Rangers traded McDonagh at the trade deadline. They traded their team captain and best skater. You figured here comes the full scale rebuild. No. Brooks wrote Gorton didn't want to ice a "skeleton" team. Gorton's team is tied for the fewest regulation and overtime wins and has not won a single road game in regulation or OT. 30 games played.

Brooks wrote this today

The cracks are beginning to mount as the season evolves. The Rangers are committing more and more mistakes, yielding more and more high-quality chances as the year kicks into higher gear. The defense operates under constant duress. Listen, Marc Staal (who is playing his best, most tenacious hockey in years) and Neal Pionk constitute the first pair. It is not that complicated.

https://nypost.com/2018/12/12/unlucky-ranger-suffers-latest-in-series-of-unfortunate-events/

DuNwJRpU0AAnqhO.jpg

Who didn't see this coming?

The people who run this team are either delusional or idiots or both.

The trade deadline can't come soon enough.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Why did the Rangers even sign Shattenkirk? Gorton traded Stepan and Raanta for futures. The Rangers are rebuilding. Right? No. They re-signed Smith and sign Shattenkirk to 4 year contracts. Their original plan was to sign 50 year old Joe Thornton with his knees being held together by rubber bands instead of Shattenkirk.

The Rangers traded McDonagh at the trade deadline. They traded their team captain and best skater. You figured here comes the full scale rebuild. No. Brooks wrote Gorton didn't want to ice a "skeleton" team. Gorton's team is tied for the fewest regulation and overtime wins and has not won a single road game in regulation or OT. 30 games played.

Brooks wrote this today

https://nypost.com/2018/12/12/unlucky-ranger-suffers-latest-in-series-of-unfortunate-events/

Probably idiots

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Why did the Rangers even sign Shattenkirk?

With limited term, and available cap space, Gorton probably figured Shatty can be a good veteran presence on and off the ice, and then be moved for more assets when the kids develop.

Not a bad strategy, although Shattys injuries have hampered his play and value considerably.

Still, if he finishes the season strong and has a good start next year, there will be a market for him.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Brooks selling his soul sucking up for Shatty. Any sane reporter would have yelled for Gorton to dump Shatty ASAP as his NMC was expiring last summer. Sorry, we are rebuilding, it’s not you it’s me. Not even a big thing PR wise or whatever people are worrying about.

Now Gorts stuck with this mess. Between Girardis BO, Staal, Smith and Shatty’s contract, it’s not good at all. Horrible for the rebuild. In 2020/21 it’s not going to be good to have like 1/4 of our cap spent on those guys.
So its Larry Brooks' fault Shattenkirk didn't get traded by Gorton.

... Okay

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Brooks wrote this today

DuNwJRpU0AAnqhO.jpg

They didn't want to run a bunch of ELC's out there.

Thats the right way to do things even if they should have made more of an effort to move certain players out of here this summer (Zucc, but they f***ed that one up long before the summer.)

This team will suck their way into position organically.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
They pretty clearly wanted to have a retool and thought Hank could keep them in 7th-8th for a few years while they cycled assets like in the Brassard/Ziba deal.

Then they sucked noodles and had to do a total tear down because the foundation was more rotted out than they thought.

Give them credit for not trying to pull 98-04 style hole plugging, dont tear them down for not being psychic.

This was like, less than 18 months ago. Goldfish memories.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
The Shattenkirk signing really doesnt hurt the rebuild,the term is short. The Smith deal imo is the one that hurts because I honestly never got what they saw in him, and I never understood how he became such a big deal at that deadline. Shattenkirk atleast had a pp resume, he got hurt and hasnt been the same you cant predict that. Even at the start of last year on one leg he was putting up pp points, hasnt happened this year. I think Gorton will continue to do what's right for the team but I dont think that includes moving Shattenkirk who took a discount on dollars and term to sign here.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I think the guys running the team know the true story. Better than anyone. They knew it last year long before a lot of fans would have admitted it when they first hoisted the white flag. They know they are short on talent and need more futures.

Give the Rangers credit for working hard (most nights) hustling and do their best with the limited assets they have. At the beginning of the season I looked for effort, growth of young players and more futures. So far, I am getting exactly that.

I fully expect purge II to start as soon as January 1 when players on a one year contract (like Hayes) can be signed to new contracts. We all know the other suspects that will be moved. It's painful but hopefully the rebuild is in full flight come September.

Over an 82 game season, cream rises to the top. We are the other stuff.

Last edited:

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
The Shattenkirk signing really doesnt hurt the rebuild,the term is short. The Smith deal imo is the one that hurts because I honestly never got what they saw in him, and I never understood how he became such a big deal at that deadline. Shattenkirk atleast had a pp resume, he got hurt and hasnt been the same you cant predict that. Even at the start of last year on one leg he was putting up pp points, hasnt happened this year. I think Gorton will continue to do what's right for the team but I dont think that includes moving Shattenkirk who took a discount on dollars and term to sign here.
When the team is relevant again, they will both be gone.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Igor Shyvrov and Nic Meloche are two other good options from Colorado. I like Kamenev too.

Boston’s first rounder could be interesting this year if they trade it. They’re getting slammed by injuries and aren’t having the same compensation from their depth as last year.

I've really soured on Kamenev. He had every reason to take a huge step forward this season and seemed to be floundering. Now he's out with a shoulder injury. If he was the guy I thought he could be I think he makes Hayes to Colorado unnecessary.

I have a hard time seeing Hayes in Boston for some reason and I have a harder time seeing the Bruins surrendering a 1st+ to us on back-to-back deadlines. I think the Coyle thing might have more legs than Hayes.

Colorado really is the perfect fit for Hayes, IMO. He slots in as the #2C for the next couple seasons while the Avs use the Ottawa pick on one of the upper-echelon C's in the draft if they don't get lucky and land Hughes. MacKinnon, Dach/Cozens/Zegras/Turcotte, and Hayes down the middle looks every bit of the cup caliber center depth every team lusts after. Add a 2nd or 3rd year pro Makar, possibly Barrie moved for a winger, and that team looks quite formidable.

Colorado's 1st, Greer/Bowers, and a conditional pick if they sign him would be my ask for Hayes as a rental. The conditions/which pick is contingent on which of the prospects comes back as I would imagine they don't value them equally. If the stars align and Hayes will go with an extension then it's Kaut and the 1st rounder with Greer or Meloche added in there. Hayes with a late pick in 2020 and lower-tier prospect like Pedrie going to Colorado.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad