Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLV

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If the odd man out is Buch, why are you arguing to keep Strome? Because of a single season of Strome?
Am pretty sure that my viewpoints are not obfuscated. Because I believe that if this is what Strome morphs to when with Panarin, them the ability to being able to deploy a Panarin- Strome line and a ZBad- Kreider line is more valuable than a Buchnevich. Couple that with his ability to play wing, that adds more value. And yes, my belief is rooted in the fact that I do not believe that anyone can do it. Or that anyone will produce similar results.

Strome has been producing ever since he got here. But people keep are constantly looking for reasons to discount beyond what is reasonable, IMO.

Reactions: pld459666

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
We can't afford them both at those numbers unless we buy someone out, and why would we want Strome for more than 2 years? Sure, if he's still playing well in a year or two, we can trade him, but why take the risk if we don't have to?

If we can sign Strome to a 1 year deal for less, that can work out for both him and the team. Every player knows the financial situation of the league right now. There isn't a lot of money to go around. Strome could do a lot worse than getting to play another year with Panarin and then becoming a UFA. If nothing else, he will make more on his next contract with the Rangers, as we'll have a lot of money coming off the books.

The same goes for DeAngelo, though there is the added caveat of our strength on the right side. If one of Trouba (not likely), Fox or ADA don't move to the left side, then it's highly likely that ADA will get traded within the next 2 years.
I think that at $11m both are affordable.

Regarding DeAngelo , why is he trade bait? I doubt that anyone of those players moves to the left, but considering what he has done and how the PP looks underneath him, why would he be the odd man out? I think that it is far more likely that Lundqvist becomes part of a package for something.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
he's too valuable to lose in the expansion draft...if he signs for more than 1 year he will either be protected or traded if we can't protect him.

sorry but i totally disagree,
if re-signed, I see no reason NOT to expose Strome, to Seattle draft
IF he is the guy taken
, then NYR did not lose Fast(if also re-signed) or a younger vulnerable guy like Lias, Gauthier, Howden or Hajek
IF he is taken, well thank you, for re-signing, and supporting another buffer transition development year for the young F's to get further along

BUT also there is no consistency in who Expansion teams claim

There is a fallacy i see all over HFBoards posts - a guy is too good to expose ... why acquire a player like Georgiev who could be lost for nothing?
Expansion team can only claim, and must claim, precisely 1 player from any team.
Whoever a team loses, that's 3-6 guys, who the team also appreciates, that were not lost

i am just as fine with re-signing Strome for short-term reasonable deal, as i am with trading him.
He's been good, but Cap makes for complications, young talent is coming, he may not be this productive consistently.
And if he returns, he should no doubt be exposed to Seattle.
There is no great downside to NYR to NOT protecting him.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I think that at $11m both are affordable.

Regarding DeAngelo , why is he trade bait? I doubt that anyone of those players moves to the left, but considering what he has done and how the PP looks underneath him, why would he be the odd man out? I think that it is far more likely that Lundqvist becomes part of a package for something.

Trouba has an NMC and isn't going anywhere. Fox is the better player IMO, more well rounded. He will very likely be expensive to re-sign. It doesn't make sense to spend big money on a player who is going to play 3rd pair minutes at even strength and doesn't kill penalties. If ADA can play on the left, problem solved, but if not, I see him as being the odd man out. It won't happen right away. I'm sure we'll wait at least until Lundkvist comes over. But trading Lundkvist instead of ADA would net us less in return and would make our cap situation more difficult.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The only reason to trade DeAngelo is as part of a package for a player you just can't say no to.

There are like maybe 10 of those guys in this league.
I actually agree. DeAngelo is doing something that has not been seen on Broadway since the days of Leetch & Zubov. With him running the PP, it is probably the best one that I have seen since those guys were manning the points.

There are only two ways that I would trade him. 1) his contract demands are just too outrageous. 2) if he is dealt for a similarly aged, similarly trajectoried LD.

The reality is that when you start to parse possible trading partners, there are very, very few deals out there that make sense. It would be a deal where the other team's fan base would say "ouch...didn't want to loose him". Because that is what this fan base will be saying.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
sorry but i totally disagree,
if re-signed, I see no reason NOT to expose Strome, to Seattle draft
IF he is the guy taken
, then NYR did not lose Fast(if also re-signed) or a younger vulnerable guy like Lias, Gauthier, Howden or Hajek
IF he is taken, well thank you, for re-signing, and supporting another buffer transition development year for the young F's to get further along
Wait, you would expose Strome to the expansion draft so that a Fast, Andersson, Gauthier, Howden or Hajek do not get taken?? Think that I may have well seen it all now.
He's been good, but Cap makes for complications, young talent is coming, he may not be this productive consistently.
And if he returns, he should no doubt be exposed to Seattle.
What young talent is coming to take his place?
There is no great downside to NYR to NOT protecting him.
Of all the Strome debates, this might take the cake.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Trouba has an NMC and isn't going anywhere. Fox is the better player IMO, more well rounded. He will very likely be expensive to re-sign. It doesn't make sense to spend big money on a player who is going to play 3rd pair minutes at even strength and doesn't kill penalties. If ADA can play on the left, problem solved, but if not, I see him as being the odd man out. It won't happen right away. I'm sure we'll wait at least until Lundkvist comes over. But trading Lundkvist instead of ADA would net us less in return and would make our cap situation more difficult.
DeAngelo is not a 3rd pair defenseman. And frankly if he has disproportionately more PP time and no PK time, that is just fine with me.

Fox is going to be very, very good. But he simply does not tilt the ice the way DeAngelo does.

Reactions: leetch99

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
DeAngelo is not a 3rd pair defenseman. And frankly if he has disproportionately more PP time and no PK time, that is just fine with me.

Fox is going to be very, very good. But he simply does not tilt the ice the way DeAngelo does.

If he's playing behind Trouba and Fox, then he is 3rd pair on our team, unless he can play on the left side.

Reactions: DutchShamrock

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Wait, you would expose Strome to the expansion draft so that a Fast, Andersson, Gauthier, Howden or Hajek do not get taken??

that's not what i wrote, i said IF he gets taken, then other guys are not
That is always my single critical point re Expansion draft, they can only lose one player, no way to predict who gets taken, and whoever it is, the team has depth to backfill

NYR may have a challenge, deciding who the 6th/7th F that they protect will be, after KZB, Bread, Chytil
If it's me, I lean towards protecting Gauthier(upside) and Lemieux(hard to replace intangibles), unless Lias still belongs to NYR has a monster season in SHL, or Lemieux has a terrible season.

Expose Strome, along with others, maybe he's taken, maybe not.

And this is no disrespect to Strome, I like how he has played,
i was the guy who argued last fall that if they named a C then, maybe it should go to Strome
(won't rehash fully, but i pray they don't burden Zib w C, and back then Kreider was pending UFA...)

I don't see Strome as a guy to protect - many of you guys do. I respect that
I don't see Howden as a guy to protect - coach Quinn might . I respect that

to me protecting Strome is not a slam dunk, as i wrote, i don't see great harm exposing him

Last edited:

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I've got no problem with giving Strome a 1 year deal and allowing him to walk as a UFA if the team is competitive next season.

If they take a step back for whatever reason next year, he's a good trade chip. There really is no reason to lock him up long term right now.
I would have no problem with this, and if it's between this or a long-term deal it's a fairly simple decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad