Roster Building Thread - Part XII

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Only in ny would we make the ecf one year, and want to rebuild the next, shake my head
Our team isnt young and this what the 4th shot for this core. Its not like our star players are suddenly going to get better.

i just see the writing on the wall with this team. Give them a final shot this year, and if it fails again just rip off the baindaid and kickstart hopefully a fast retool with all the forwards we can sell and get a haul for.

Our d is very young still and we can build around them.

Yeah, that's a fair point. And very much against Larry's typical MO of toeing the line.

dan Rosen speculated today on NhL radio that Igors side leaked it out.

He said Drury runs a tight ship and there was no reason for the Rangers to leak.

Interesting to listen to

Again just speculation.

Reactions: lakeshirts37

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
I don't have a problem if Igor's side wanted to play games with management. What I don't like is that it plays games with the fans; that makes no sense and is a net negative.

Cygnus 2112

Aug 7, 2014
Long Island
I loved Hank but I wasn't loving his last contract b/c we all knew it would be terrible towards the end (and it was- they bought him out for Christ sake). This guy ain't no Hank...nowhere near as consistent (I'm looking at YOU January 2024). I like Shesty a lot but this deal (or higher) would cripple us. Great goalie and AHL'ers on the ice.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
There’s a huge difference between “Trouba won’t report” and “Trouba asked for another year, didn’t put movable teams on his list and Drury didn’t move him, and he knows next year he’s moved unless he’s a much much better player.

In the end, Trouba got what he wanted.

The day he's gone, we're better off.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013

All the goalies are getting contracts right now. Must be goalie week in the NHL.

I guess all of the agents were waiting for the Swayman contract to reset the $$ comps higher.

Last edited:

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
I think a lot of us me included aren't even considering that he's not going to be the best goalie for the length of the contract

We took Hank's consistency for granted. Giving Igor 10, 11 or 12 million when he's the best goalie in the league is still not worth it but what about when he isn't? What about if he's not Hank,? , what if he's only good for 5 more years?

We're about to cripple this franchise with this contract.
It's wild how how some of the people on this board are like "Who cares about an extra few mil, its just cap space". Makes me roll my eyes. Lets just cripple the franchise and be 1st/2nd round exits for another 8 years.

The other defense people throw out is, look how close we were to the Stanley Cup! We got lucky vs Carolina and got steam rolled by Florida. Florida wasnt even close. I think they possessed the puck 95% of the series.

Give them one last year. Let Igor walk after.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
It's wild how how some of the people on this board are like "Who cares about an extra few mil, its just cap space". Makes me roll my eyes. Lets just cripple the franchise and be 1st/2nd round exits for another 8 years.

The other defense people throw out is, look how close we were to the Stanley Cup! We got lucky vs Carolina and got steam rolled by Florida. Florida wasnt even close. I think they possessed the puck 95% of the series.

Give them one last year. Let Igor walk after.

You’re saying this current roster is going to get steam rolled. I agree with that. Why would give this team one last year and let our most valuable asset walk?

Reactions: Atax

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
There's a lot of talk about best goalie in the league. Even if that is true, how much better is he than the rest of the top? He has had some outstanding playoff runs and the year he won the Vezina he was clearly head and shoulders above the rest, but since then he's not been the best goalie in the league during the regular season. If we're going to pay him it's because he's a top goalie, options are limited, or the organization will continue to use goaltending as a crutch. But I don't think pay him because he's the best goalie in the league should be a thing when majority of the last 2 years he hasn't played like a top 3 goalie.

I'm not saying we won't feel it by letting him go. I just think we should settle down with the best goalie in the league talk as a reason to pay him 11+M.

Reactions: Ruggs225

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
In the end, Trouba got what he wanted.

The day he's gone, we're better off.
The way that people seem to view this as a binary Trouba vs Drury is the problem.
Drury could likely have moved Trouba if he really wanted to. It’s been reported multiple times that there’s no issues between the org and Trouba. This was overblown to sell clicks.

Reactions: UnSandvich

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I have zero confidence in our goalie prospects doing anything at the NHL level. At all. You think Garand has that potential (serious question)?
We have 4 years to figure it out and yes I do feel Garand is gonna be a #1 goalie, not the ceiling Igor has but still a capable goalie at a fraction of the price. He's risen to every challenge he's had, he's young and will take some time but I do belive he is a starter in the nhl.

Reactions: Shadowtron

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I would play super hardball with him. He's not getting that anywhere else. Look at the state of the league.

(Actually, I would just get rid of him, but that's me. Trying to be somewhat realistic here).

It's easier to keep guys than to bring them in, because it's just a raise for us. Somebody signing him would have to have a fresh $12m+ lying around. Nobody has that except for bottom-dwelling teams. You can't even clear salary. Nobody can take it.

He's banking on the fact that we need to him to win, and he's probably right, but he's just as vulnerable. He's not getting anywhere near what he reportedly turned down from anyone but the Rangers.

Cygnus 2112

Aug 7, 2014
Long Island
You know what? Let him go to SJ or Utah and get his 12. See how he likes that. I’m sure there’s plenty of vodka and microfilm in those places. (80’s Russian spy reference for the kiddies who are confused).

• Haha
Reactions: Shadowtron

Shadowtron

Feb 27, 2002
Earth
We have 4 years to figure it out and yes I do feel Garand is gonna be a #1 goalie, not the ceiling Igor has but still a capable goalie at a fraction of the price. He's risen to every challenge he's had, he's young and will take some time but I do belive he is a starter in the nhl.
Gracias, amigo! Was just curious on your thoughts.

Reactions: Shesterkybomb

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Our team isnt young and this what the 4th shot for this core. Its not like our star players are suddenly going to get better.

i just see the writing on the wall with this team. Give them a final shot this year, and if it fails again just rip off the baindaid and kickstart hopefully a fast retool with all the forwards we can sell and get a haul for.

Our d is very young still and we can build around them.

dan Rosen speculated today on NhL radio that Igors side leaked it out.

He said Drury runs a tight ship and there was no reason for the Rangers to leak.

Interesting to listen to

Again just speculation.
Our team isn't old either and the guys that are aging a bit ie Kreider and Panarin play a style that isn't predicated on speed so they'll still be productive for likely 4 or 5 years. Need 2 of Othmann, Sykora, Perrault, Berard to become good players, and need a couple d to come into their own too. People just overreact and pretend there's nothing that can be fixed ufa happens every year, being in ny we have a good chance at getting any pending ufa

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
There's a lot of talk about best goalie in the league. Even if that is true, how much better is he than the rest of the top? He has had some outstanding playoff runs and the year he won the Vezina he was clearly head and shoulders above the rest, but since then he's not been the best goalie in the league during the regular season. If we're going to pay him it's because he's a top goalie, options are limited, or the organization will continue to use goaltending as a crutch. But I don't think pay him because he's the best goalie in the league should be a thing when majority of the last 2 years he hasn't played like a top 3 goalie.

I'm not saying we won't feel it by letting him go. I just think we should settle down with the best goalie in the league talk as a reason to pay him 11+M.
I look at a guy like Hellebucyk. A two-time Vezina winner, consensus one of the very best goalies in the league and a guy that faces a ton of rubber behind an average defense and generally puts in a herculean effort. Yet, when push came to shove, he simply couldn't get it done in the playoffs last year. A performance for the ages can elevate an average goalie on a great team and win a cup but it's very challenging for a great goalie on a substandard team, especially defensively to do the same. I just don't see the Rangers, with Shesterkin making $13 mil a season in his twilight years getting the job done.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
We should be way more aggressive trying to sign Laf before Igor

I just hope the ranges are mad that he turned down this deal and maybe they'll sour on extending him now. It's a pipe dream and I know they're never going to let him walk. But man the franchise is truly on the line here.

Drafting these franchise goalies is a blessing and then a curse.

We should keep doing it but treat them like starting pictures and never give them the big contract that he's about to get.

Reactions: Atax

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Rangers set themselves up that they can cut bait with Igor, Trouba and potentially Panarin this summer if they dont at least get to the Cup Final. If they actually do that remains to be seen, but that's a great place to start salary-wise if you want to retool the team to be built more around the Fox/Lafreniere core group going forward. Which I'm very much in favor of.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Rangers set themselves up that they can cut bait with Igor, Trouba and potentially Panarin this summer if they dont at least get to the Cup Final. If they actually do that remains to be seen, but that's a great place to start salary-wise if you want to retool the team to be built more around the Fox/Lafreniere core group going forward. Which I'm very much in favor of.

I don't really get the need to move Panarin. If he were open to it, I'd extend him honestly. 3-4 years at maybe $8-9m, see if he will bite

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I don't really get the need to move Panarin. If he were open to it, I'd extend him honestly. 3-4 years at maybe $8-9m, see if he will bite

Thats a discussion that needs to be had based on the contracts our RFAs get. An aging Panarin who has shown he can't get it done in the playoffs consistently is not a must-sign personally but Im open to it.

Reactions: Atax and Ruggs225

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Panarin has a full nmc. Really interesting to see if he’s waiving that at all. It happens but it’s really rare.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad