Roster Building Thread - Part XII(Training Camp/Preseason)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
how the f*** are they allowed to defer to a 9th year?

That can't be kosher. Max length of a deal is 8 years. spreading the aav to 9 years seems like circumvention.
Even if not a mistake this should not impact his AAV of 8 years which is what important from the salary cap perspective. What Canes are doing is cash management.

Reactions: bhamill

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Even if not a mistake this should not impact his AAV of 8 years which is what important from the salary cap perspective. What Canes are doing is cash management.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out because it appears the AAV will drop by about $400k/year with how it's written.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Once again, I do not understand the fetish in paying non-elite guys $7.5M coming off their ELC with no leverage, in particular when you're a Cup contender.

Reactions: tiggles

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Once again, I do not understand the fetish in paying non-elite guys $7.5M coming off their ELC with no leverage, in particular when you're a Cup contender.
Jarvis put up 60ish points in y3. He’s not elite but top 6 easily.
7.5m now is 9m in 3-5 years. This is getting ahead of future growth.

This is the type of risk the rangers should take if they could.
Laf 2 years ago signing an 8 year 7.5m deal? Tell me you wouldn’t be running to get that signed…

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Jarvis put up 60ish points in y3. He’s not elite but top 6 easily.
7.5m now is 9m in 3-5 years. This is getting ahead of future growth.

This is the type of risk the rangers should take if they could.
Laf 2 years ago signing an 8 year 7.5m deal? Tell me you wouldn’t be running to get that signed…
I don't think he ever signs that extension. He's certainly aware he's not getting PP1 time and his counting stats suffer for it.

The future growth thing is cool when you're projecting, less cool in practice. Kreider's contract was supposed to functionally be a 3rd liners contract in no time, and then it wasn't.

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
Jarvis is actually pretty elite, his advanced metrics are VERY good. Would trade a 1st and Laf for him pretty easily.

• Wow
Reactions: The Crypto Guy

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I don't think he ever signs that extension. He's certainly aware he's not getting PP1 time and his counting stats suffer for it.

The future growth thing is cool when you're projecting, less cool in practice. Kreider's contract was supposed to functionally be a 3rd liners contract in no time, and then it wasn't.
It was not because of performance but macroeconomic situation that was / would be impossible to predict. The fact that Kreider more than earned his $6.5m is even further outside of the issue.
You’d be more on point if you used Panarin as an illustration but that wouldn’t change the argument for giving bigger contracts (on potential) earlier.

Last edited:

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
It wasn’t not because of performance but macroeconomic situation that was / would be impossible to predict. The fact that Kreider more than earned his $6.5m is even further outside of the issue. You’d be more on point if you used Panarin as an illustration.
seriously. Hughes taking that 8x8 was the first clue that contracts would be slow to climb for a bit.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Laf is a better player so wtf are you even thinking
its just proof some people (even on these boards) don't watch the actual games, just look at the box scores, and if a player isnt putting up 2 points a game, "theyre a bust"

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
i don't think it's crazy to say that jarvis and lafreniere are comparable players at this point in their nhl careers.

the main difference is their swag. Laf has an enviable pirate swag. he'd look great with an eyepatch. jarvis has an impetuous ugly swag. he's reprehensible to behold and it's impressive. his face would look natural on the body of some sort of stunted mantis.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
When Kreider signed his last deal most here thought he gave the Rangers a discount. That he would have significantly done better if he'd gone to free agency.

Since that deal:

20-21.....50-20-10-30
21-22.....81-52-25-77 and playoffs 16-8-4-12
22-23.....79-36-18-54 and playoffs 7-6-3-9
23-24.....82-39-36-75 and playoffs 20-10-6-16

127 goals the last 3 years--avg. 42.3 and 24 goals in 43 playoff game which is somewhere around about a 45 goal season if prorated to 82 games. And he's done that since he crossed the 30 year age threshold which is both amazing and really something you would never expect. It's like his prime has come about 5/6 years after the norm.

......and really neither Lafreniere nor anyone else on our team and hardly anyone else in the NHL is as good at all the net front stuff Chris does. Alex doesn't have Mika's shot either though I think Mika would be the player that he could most easily replace. Trocheck in the bumper position gives us not just grit but also the face-offs are essential which Mika kind of backs up. These are just some of the roadblocks to get onto the first power play unit.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
i don't think it's crazy to say that jarvis and lafreniere are comparable players at this point in their nhl careers.

the main difference is their swag. Laf has an enviable pirate swag. he'd look great with an eyepatch. jarvis has an impetuous ugly swag. he's reprehensible to behold and it's impressive. his face would look natural on the body of some sort of stunted mantis.

Can’t compare. Lafy is more physical and Jarvis is a different type of player

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Not a whole lot we can talk about with regards to Shesterkin, I think everyone knows we'll resign him and it will be a lot of money.

Reactions: kovazub94

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
7.5 aav is not elite pay anymore. Its top line pay, on the lower end. The idea is that if he only tops at at what he is now, its a decent contract. If he gets even better, its a bargain and a half.

dinosaur rongos don't understand the modern NHL. They'd rather nickel and dime youngesters, bridge them, and then overpay once they are UFA's and already at their peak and on the way down.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Jarvis scored 67 points, but given PP1, 20 of them on the PP. Almost 19 mins ATOI.
Lafreniere scored 57 points, only 6 on the powerplay. With very limited PP time. In other words he outscored Jarvis at EV. About 1:30 less ATOI.
So you would not only trade Laf for Jarvis, but throw in our 1st. You know who would make that trade in a blink? Carolina. That’s is an AWFUL trade for NYR. Hahahahahaha.

Last edited:

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
7.5 aav is not elite pay anymore. Its top line pay, on the lower end. The idea is that if he only tops at at what he is now, its a decent contract. If he gets even better, its a bargain and a half.

dinosaur rongos don't understand the modern NHL. They'd rather nickel and dime youngesters, bridge them, and then overpay once they are UFA's and already at their peak and on the way down.
I think the bridge for laf was lack of cap space.
I imagine they wanted to lock him up for 8 years but couldn't because he was willing to bet on himself and not do what mackinnon did.

Reactions: bernmeister

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
I think the bridge for laf was lack of cap space.
I imagine they wanted to lock him up for 8 years but couldn't because he was willing to bet on himself and not do what mackinnon did.
What? The bridge for Laf was because he had shown nothing and was looking like a bust.

He wouldn't have signed a long term contract, and the Rangers would have been dumb to do so. Any other outcome would have been dumb luck on the Rangers side.

effen

Feb 3, 2018

*Points at Jesperi Kotkanimeni*

Last edited:
Reactions: Profet

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
this is the type of shit that must be excoriated, then repudiated to the max

NO trading youth for vets
bread will not be re-upped
think ahead for once
Copp is cooked....KK,Othmann just need to be in max condition...if they have taken the time to get in pro shape they should be good players. KK needs to be more physical and finish checks. We are gonna waltz through another reg season and then see if we have what it takes in the playoffs. Hopefully Kam is paired with Fox

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
What? The bridge for Laf was because he had shown nothing and was looking like a bust.

He wouldn't have signed a long term contract, and the Rangers would have been dumb to do so. Any other outcome would have been dumb luck on the Rangers side.
You mean like mackinnon?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad