Marner Predictions - What Happens Now

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Happens With Marner Now

• Total voters

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I agree the market would be strong. I disagree on the run out of Toronto thing in this case. Go back to Larry Murphy, see Phil Kessel and everyone else in between. Expectations too high, system was the wrong fit, usage was incorrect etc. etc... None of them were paid amongst the top players in the world at their position. it is a salary cap world and for that coin you better be driving this team towards a cup. Not a complementary piece on the third line and PP2 of an already stacked team.

Such a big difference between Marner and the ghosts of Leafs past. Paid to compete for a cup, not bail in a game 7.
Exactly..Marner needs to find a team like that Pitts team more than Kessel did IMO. A team a player gets tax breaks and can pay Marner 9.5-10max is gonna maybe be okay. A team like Toronto who needs to offset taxes and pay 13% of the cap is not.

There is no chance he gets more than Matthews.
-100% chance

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Marner is wearing an "A" in the Leafs most Instagram post. What a joke.
Meh.. as much as I believe its necessary, taking it away may do more harm to the team than good. It would be an absurd amount of negative media attention/distraction towards him/team, and he already a big distraction. My guess hes splitting it still (i think towards the end he also appears not wearing an A?)

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
If the Leafs are committed to retaining Marner, which it kind of sounds like they are, they’d be better off doing it now before he tees off in a contract year and does something stupid like break Dougie’s points record. We waited on Willy and it likely cost us an extra million and a half against the cap.

Reactions: bax

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
why is that ?
Berube said today he is a great player, excited to work with him and he’s a key player for the team.

And the tweet said negotiations are under way. I believe it’s just a matter of time. Team clearly values him differently than a portion of the fan base.

And I’m dreading the amount! But it’s gonna get done.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Why are you so obsessed with associating everything quote with Marner? It’s weird.

That sounded like a direct message to the whole team, not one individual. All the stars have had horrible nights. Nylander literally gave up on a puck mid play in the playoffs. That was the most pathetic thing I’ve seen in pro sports.
Why are you so obsessed with associating everything with Nylander. It’s weird.

Are you still obsessed with that one play where he chased the guy back into his own end and then peeled off to the bench on a line change after a long shift?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Are you still obsessed with that one play where he chased the guy back into his own end and then peeled off to the bench on a line change after a long shift?

That literally makes no sense, this is the first time I’ve mentioned Nylander. I quite like Nylander. I used him as an example as one of the core 4 who have also bailed on plays.

Maybe you’re confusing me with another poster but I haven’t really been saying anything negative about Nylander tbh.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Ya, might as well get the pain over early. What a waste of a rebuild

This wasn’t a waste of a rebuild, the team has made the playoffs every year. They need to do something once they are in the dance, but the hyperbole is tiring.

The rebuild was fine. Look at Ottawa & Buffalo they are almost at 8 years of a rebuild and can’t even sniff the playoffs. This core isn’t old, they still have ample time to make something happen.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
This wasn’t a waste of a rebuild, the team has made the playoffs every year. They need to do something once they are in the dance, but the hyperbole is tiring.

The rebuild was fine. Look at Ottawa & Buffalo they are almost at 8 years of a rebuild and can’t even sniff the playoffs. This core isn’t old, they still have ample time to make something happen.
8 years of first round playoff failure is real. This rebuild needed to be changed around a few years ago but the powers that be said no so yes it is a waste. All these talented players that can’t get it done together have been wasted.
As far as Ottawa and Buff they were not gifted the 3 young players we were.
We should have been a lot more successful by now with this core but Dubas wasted 5 years of this pretending goaltending and defence weren’t important

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
8 years of first round playoff failure is real. This rebuild needed to be changed around a few years ago but the powers that be said no so yes it is a waste. All these talented players that can’t get it done together have been wasted.
As far as Ottawa and Buff they were not gifted the 3 young players we were.
We should have been a lot more successful by now with this core but Dubas wasted 5 years of this pretending goaltending and defence weren’t important

All you need is 1 run. So while it’s disappointing they haven’t got it done the last 8 years, they still have many more to go. The job isn’t done yet, I do truly believe they will get it done within the next few years. Might just be a longer wait than we anticipated.

Also i’m confused by this, so whose fault is it then? Is it Dubas’ ? because I’m being told it’s the cores fault, but you’re saying we didn’t have goaltending or defense. So which is it?

Personally I think there’s a number of factors, but genuinely interested to hear your take.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
That literally makes no sense, this is the first time I’ve mentioned Nylander. I quite like Nylander. I used him as an example as one of the core 4 who have also bailed on plays.

Maybe you’re confusing me with another poster but I haven’t really been saying anything negative about Nylander tbh.
And yet you regularly bring up that one play from how many years ago, any time someone mentions a lack of hustle, even though that's a poor example. You call it "the most pathetic thing I've seen in pro sports", even though it was a reasonably normal play.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
And yet you regularly bring up that one play from how many years ago, any time someone mentions a lack of hustle, even though that's a poor example. You call it "the most pathetic thing I've seen in pro sports", even though it was a reasonably normal play.

When I have regularly brought up that play? Please quote me, cause this is the first time I’m even bringing it up. So i don’t even know what the hell you’re going on about. You’re 100% confusing me with someone else.

And I’m entitled to feel however I want. That was a pathetic ass play. It’s the playoffs, Nylander could have easily won that puck and he pulls shoot. That is not a reasonably normal play.

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
He looked like a whipped dog in that interview...defeated, sulking. Claimed he still believes in this group, yet showed no outward confidence. When a reporter asked, "Rielly pretty much said it's Cup or bust. Do you feel the same?"

"I don’t want to think too far ahead," he replied

Once again, he brought up how tough it is to win the Cup, how all 32 teams want it. Seems like he's mentally preparing for another first-round exit rather than seriously chasing the Cup.

This is not a guy who should be viewed as a leader. He should be more like Kessel was in Pittsburgh—an awkward, camera-shy figure who's not in peak athletic shape (skinny isnt peak), but someone likeable, funny, and expected to produce. Let him focus on his role without being the face of the team or carrying its pressure. And pay him accordingly. You can’t have your cake and eat it too. He would probably be more effective.

One thing I’ll give him: he seems humbled around the media in recent interviews. Probably because he's realizing he might not be as wanted, or that his future in Toronto isn’t entirely in his hands anymore, a choice he thought would always be his only. Now, he comes off as just another player, not the untouchable star who thought he was too important to be criticized.
Dude is the definition of toxic positivity

Reactions: Antropovsky

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
When I have regularly brought up that play? Please quote me, cause this is the first time I’m even bringing it up. So i don’t even know what the hell you’re going on about. You’re 100% confusing me with someone else.

And I’m entitled to feel however I want. That was a pathetic ass play. It’s the playoffs, Nylander could have easily won that puck and he pulls shoot. That is not a reasonably normal play.
I may well be wrong - someone has regularly brought up that play.

It was at the end of a long shift (over a minute as I recall, because I looked it up when someone kept bringing it up), and he chased the player back into his end before going for a line change, which happens several times every game.

Also part of my original post was just having a fun riff on your wording.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

I honestly have no clue what you’re talking about. Especially in reference to the bolded. I have never been obsessed with that play, it’s pretty clear you have confused what maybe other users have said with me.

The only player I’ve kind of been semi obsessed with thinking he was shit was Timothy Liljegren.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Was hard ro follow Shanahan response to Masters question, was a bit of a ramble.

Mark Masters: "Brendan, youve watched Mitch Marner grow up here, describe Marners significance to the organization and the team right now"

" Mitch is a great player and an even greater person. Ive watched him grow from a young man to a man. Hes a special player, anyone who can get you a 100 points and be a top 1 or 2 defensive makes you a special player, I think other people are recognizing that and coming to his defense as well, some of his peers have made that notice and hes had a great offseason there is a certain maturation that occurs with all players at different moments, different times..Mitch has always been a committed person and a comitted hockey player..but when you see the work he puts in and his love for the game and his love for the city of Toronto, thats what makes you believe in a guy like Mitch Marner."

I dont think id be excited about this response, if I was Marners group.

Last edited:

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Was hard ro follow Shanahan response to Masters question, was a bit of a ramble.

Mark Masters: "Brendan, youve watched Mitch Marner grow up here, describe Marners significance to the organization and the team right now"

" Mitch is a great player and an even greater person. Ive watched him grow from a young man to a man. Hes a special player, anyone who can get you a 100 points and be a top 1 or 2 defensive makes you a special player, I think other people are recognizing that and coming to his defense as well, some of his peers have made that notice and hes had a great offseason there is a certain maturation that occurs with all players at different moments, different times..Mitch has always been a committed person and a comitted hockey player..but when you see the work he puts in and his love for the game and his love for the city of Toronto, thats what makes you believe in a guy like Mitch Marner."

I dont think id be excited about this response, if I was Marners group.

What part of that quote would cause Marners group to not be excited? It’s absolutely mental how you could take that quote then flip it into, “I don’t think I’d be excited about this response, if I was Marner’s group”.

You’ve convinced yourself that the management group /coaching staff is taking cryptic shots at Marner. No they are telling the world how they feel, he is going to be a part of this team. The only messaging I got was they are planning on resigning him. Extension talks are underway. Whether that’s a good decision or bad decision that’s up for debate. However I don’t know in what universe (except yours where you think everyone on the roster and management hates him) should Marner or his “camp” look at that quote and feel a way about it.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
All you need is 1 run. So while it’s disappointing they haven’t got it done the last 8 years, they still have many more to go. The job isn’t done yet, I do truly believe they will get it done within the next few years. Might just be a longer wait than we anticipated.

Also i’m confused by this, so whose fault is it then? Is it Dubas’ ? because I’m being told it’s the cores fault, but you’re saying we didn’t have goaltending or defense. So which is it?

Personally I think there’s a number of factors, but genuinely interested to hear your take.
Dubas signing Tavares when he was the last thing we needed was the start of the problems. The negotiations with Matthews and Marner were poorly handled. The only contract at the time that was handled properly was Willy. The other major mistake is once Dubas realized (like the rest of the hockey world) that you can’t build a team spending 50% of your cap on similar forwards he did not pivot and move one of them to change things up.
His final major blunder was treating goal tending as an afterthought by continuing to pick up broken down and beaten
Special mention goes to keepin Keefe long after it was obvious it wasn’t working

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad