Roster Building Thread - Part XII(Training Camp/Preseason)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
You're not going to get any PP to a 100% scoring rate. The current PP is very good. You can strive for perfection.. but there is a saying:

"Perfect is the enemy of good."

Relying on it works in the regular season, not in the post season. I would like the team to be better all around, rather than a one trick PP pony.
I believe the actual quote is "The perfect can not be the enemy of the good"

As I have said prior
only God is perfect
the most we can hope for is excellence
however, while never perfect
we may try for flawlessness

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

I read the definition above and they basically say the same thing, although my wording I concede is more tortured.

Howev, the oversimplified def you have is an oxymoron to the extent that one typically, where possible, strives for the best outcome, and to always be better to realize that.
It goes vs that reality

One can consider it from 'the angle too much of a good thing...', but still, that does not justify not trying to do all the good that is possible.

This is what happens when people cut corners.

The correct phrasing should be/have been:
the pursuit of perfection, available only to the [limited] extent possible, should not compromise the potential for good by limiting same

something like dat

or when in doubt, go with the Beatles:

take a sad song, and make it better

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
I've always felt that the first PP unit was a "one-trick pony" group -- you know exactly what they are going to do: pass the puck around trying to (a) set up Zib for the one-timer from the circle or (b) a pass toward the net for a Kreider tip in. There is no Plan B. In the playoffs, I would think you'd be more successful putting the puck on net, purposely shoot it off the goalie's pads for rebound. Of course, the Rangers are not set up for this type of play.
Agreed. They really need a few different looks.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
And in the playoffs, that B- goalie can just as easily steal a game.
Just as easily? I completely disagree. A top notch goalie will be far more likely to steal you games than a mediocre one that you HOPE can get on a hot streak.

Reactions: majordomo

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
I read the definition above and they basically say the same thing, although my wording I concede is more tortured.

Howev, the oversimplified def you have is an oxymoron to the extent that one typically, where possible, strives for the best outcome, and to always be better to realize that.
It goes vs that reality

One can consider it from 'the angle too much of a good thing...', but still, that does not justify not trying to do all the good that is possible.

This is what happens when people cut corners.

The correct phrasing should be/have been:
the pursuit of perfection, available only to the [limited] extent possible, should not compromise the potential for good by limiting same

something like dat

or when in doubt, go with the Beatles:

take a sad song, and make it better
As far as “perfect is the enemy of good” there are different ways to take it.
Not appreciating something good because it’s not perfect is the most common. It’s akin to the Utopia Fallacy in logic, where someone completely disregards a possible solution because it has flaws, even though it may well be the best available. That’s not how I look at our powerplay. I appreciate how good it is while still knowing it can, and should, be improved upon.

Reactions: bernmeister

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
An A goalie is more important than a "B-" goalie in the playoffs than the regular season since in the playoffs that goalie will play 100% of the games whereas in the regular season he will only play about 70%.

Reactions: bhamill

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
An A goalie is more important than a "B-" goalie in the playoffs than the regular season since in the playoffs that goalie will play 100% of the games whereas in the regular season he will only play about 70%.
We've had a few years to have a crack at it with the best goalie in the world. The best we could do is 2 wins conference finals.

I find it extremely unlikely to be able to field a much better skating roster with said goalie, when his new deal kicks in. So what are we doing here?

When was the last time a goalie carried their team to a SC?

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
I've always felt that the first PP unit was a "one-trick pony" group -- you know exactly what they are going to do: pass the puck around trying to (a) set up Zib for the one-timer from the circle or (b) a pass toward the net for a Kreider tip in. There is no Plan B. In the playoffs, I would think you'd be more successful putting the puck on net, purposely shoot it off the goalie's pads for rebound. Of course, the Rangers are not set up for this type of play.
I don’t think it’s a one trick pony but it’s two guys creating basically all the advantages and the other 3 playing off of them. Laf can take a lot of pressure off of them. You trade Mikas one timer for a guy who is better at everything else.
Don't possibly ruin something that does.
NYR power play has a top 5 forward, the best defenseman in the league, the best net front guy in the league, and Trocheck who is great all-around at the bumper. Even if you love Mika, the idea that Laf could RUIN this unit is f***ing absurd lmao.

Also aside from the fact that this unit will be good no matter who the 5th player is, if Laf somehow tanked it why couldn’t they just go back to the current one?

Last edited:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
As far as “perfect is the enemy of good” there are different ways to take it.
Not appreciating something good because it’s not perfect is the most common. It’s akin to the Utopia Fallacy in logic, where someone completely disregards a possible solution because it has flaws, even though it may well be the best available. That’s not how I look at our powerplay. I appreciate how good it is while still knowing it can, and should, be improved upon.
well said
not the fault of anyone here, the original quote is handed down thru history
but my pt one, taken in a most literal way, it is wrong
perfect[ion] contains in it goodness, not the opposite of good = evil
it is the ultimate zenith of what is good, even if that [actual perfection] is not technically or literally possible for mere mortals. It is not the opposite, which we connote with 'enemy'.

The overzealous, overoursuit of perfection, compromises the good at some point.

Anyhoo, no time for language or philosophy now...

Reactions: bhamill

Jack Hanson

Oct 5, 2023
What really holds the Rangers back is they dont have the ability to physically wear down the opponent. They dont have the meat grinder ability. Trocheck and Lafreniere and even Kreider have it a little bit. But Panarin and Zibanejad are pretty boys. If only Rempe could blossom and learn to skate better he could pound some opponents and grind them down. Im so pissed were still stuck with Trouba too. Im not feeling that optimistic for this year :(

Cheapshot

May 23, 2012
how the f*** are they allowed to defer to a 9th year?

That can't be kosher. Max length of a deal is 8 years. spreading the aav to 9 years seems like circumvention.
Yeah this doesn’t make sense. Does it act like a bonus because those can roll over to the next year? This one is going to be interesting.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
The goalie cannot be paid like a franchise player.

It puts the team at a serious disadvantage with the cap
It literally doesn't. . Having a player like Trouba making 8M puts the team at a serious disadvantage with the cap. Top players get paid, that's how it is. Igor is a top player, Trouba is not.
And in the playoffs, that B- goalie can just as easily steal a game.

Yes they can. And at the same time a B-goalie is also far more likely to cost you a game/series than a franchise goalie. See the Hurricanes last playoffs vs us.

Reactions: kovazub94

80s Kid

Feb 20, 2023
AZ
I'm not sure what the stats say but I feel like one of the problems with the PP is that the Rangers don't generate enough of them.

Rangers have a very good PP but when you get to the playoffs, the opponents are studying everything about your team. If I'm playing against the Rangers, I'm doing whatever I can to stay out of the penalty box.

So this goes back to 5v5 improvement. If you want to maximize the impact of the power play, the 5v5 game needs to be more aggressive with players going to the net and puck possession to generate more power plays.

I don't know if they have it in them but players like Laf and Trocheck could help set the tone. Florida appeared to be more disciplined this year in staying out of the box and Vegas (Vagus) won the previous year also staying out of the box. Even if the Rangers PP is good, if you're only getting a handful of cracks at it, it's still going to be really tough to score.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
The goalie cannot be paid like a franchise player.

It puts the team at a serious disadvantage with the cap
And paying Trouba 8 mil doesn't? Panarin is paid like a franchise player but has yet to play like one in the playoffs. Igor at least shows up consistently.

Florida just won with Bob having a 10-mil cap hit, Stolarz with a 1.1-mil cap hit, and Knight counting 3.35 mil against the cap while in the AHL.

So, can we stop with this silly narrative that it's impossible to win if we pay our goalie a premium? If we were going to trade Igor, it would have happened already. There's no realistic chance to do so now and letting him walk for nothing is a terrible idea.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Yeah this doesn’t make sense. Does it act like a bonus because those can roll over to the next year? This one is going to be interesting.

If it’s allowed you do this with Igor

What really holds the Rangers back is they dont have the ability to physically wear down the opponent. They dont have the meat grinder ability. Trocheck and Lafreniere and even Kreider have it a little bit. But Panarin and Zibanejad are pretty boys. If only Rempe could blossom and learn to skate better he could pound some opponents and grind them down. Im so pissed were still stuck with Trouba too. Im not feeling that optimistic for this year :(

Or glass half full it’s basically the same team that won the presidents trophy

They are gonna trade their 1st this year and will do all in

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad