OT: 2024 Washington Commanders off-season thread: change we can believe in!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
DB I think is the clear biggest need to address this offseason followed by WR.
On Sunday I looked up the possible CB in FA they could have got and the pickings were slim and undesirable for team on year 1 of a rebuild.

Awuzie for 3 yrs/36M
Murphy-Bunting 3/25.5

We decided to muck our cards and just stick w Mike Davis for 1/3.2
--------------------------------------

Im 100% fine with not making an upgrade at Cb as there were no good options.

I would have liked Curl though ..

Plus better draft pick for our future HOF LT (or stud WR if a true 5 star stud is in this draft class)

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I was watching a few film studies and what’s most concerning on defense is that the Giants were often protecting with eight and running routes with only two receivers and they were still wide open for chunk plays. The secondary is so bad in coverage and with tackling that the box isn’t stacked and so it’s harder to defend the run but they also can’t defend the pass, even if it’s four or five DBs vs two Wars. If a team can both run and pass at will by keeping seven or eight in to protect they’re f***ed.

I can’t for understand why they wouldn’t bring in Xavier Howard, Patrick Peterson, JC Jackson, or some other free agents at least for workouts at this point. Michael Davis is awful in coverage and missed at least 5-6 tackles on Sunday.

DB I think is the clear biggest need to address this offseason followed by WR.
I don’t think they really want to win right now (this season). They won’t say that, but their actions —

Reactions: Kazer and qc14

qc14

Jul 1, 2024
Yea I think that's why they didn't really add anyone besides stop-gaps at OL/TE/WR/CB during the summer. It's something I'm completely ok with though, especially given how often trying to spend big in FA has burnt this team before (and the relatively weak DB and OL classes this year).

That being said -- I don't think they would've thought some of the stopgap guys like Davis would've been this bad and I totally believe you owe it to your team to at least put them in positions to win and succeed. Totally fine and would probably prefer at least trying out a different mediocre/bad corner.

Also not much you can do when Allen and Payne are playing so poorly on such massive contracts!

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The secondary and OL have been ass for a long time, and obviously so. It's like watching the Caps under GMGM ignore the defense all those years.

Reactions: max21

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
the offense is pretty predictable. Just playing sofa coach i can call almost every play. Good news is, it is smart for protection, and things hit quick. I like the temp but they need to introduce more options as JD gets comfortable. I’ll give KK credit… he simplified to start and no INTs.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
My takes for game 2.

• Those stupid receiver bubble screens need to stop. First play of the game and the first play on the first possession in the 2nd half were for 3 and 4 yards losses approximately.
  • Receiver core not good. Can't tell if Terry is getting open or not but teams, like in the first game, are probably focusing on eliminating him and JD's running lanes. Ertz looks pretty slow out there.
  • RBs looking good probably the most solid part of the offense. Also helps having JDs legs for all that.
  • LBs looking pretty good.
  • Tackles not so much or their enemy o-line so disrespects the edges they start doubling up on the tackles.
  • CBs...ugh.
  • Watching way more other NFL games than ever still seeing other team blitz way more effectively.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Maybe they're trying to build up a rookie's confidence before having him air it out and risking an avalanche of losses and interceptions.

Seems logical. I wouldn't expect nothing but bubble screens and scrambling all year.

Reactions: Bananas

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
Maybe they're trying to build up a rookie's confidence before having him air it out and risking an avalanche of losses and interceptions.

Seems logical. I wouldn't expect nothing but bubble screens and scrambling all year.
Just wasting Terry's career at this point though. The only way for JD to really learn from his mistakes and grow is to take those risks sometimes

Reactions: Holtbyisms

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Just wasting Terry's career at this point though. The only way for JD to really learn from his mistakes and grow is to take those risks sometimes
With all due respect to Terry, JD is the higher priority.

There's a junkyard full of failed QBs who came out slinging and the NFL kicked them in the jimmies. I think DQ is trying to win some games while easing JD into the league.

Reactions: qc14 and Jags

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
With all due respect to Terry, JD is the higher priority.

There's a junkyard full of failed QBs who came out slinging and the NFL kicked them in the jimmies. I think DQ is trying to win some games while easing JD into the league.
Hope they find that balance because of you keep training him to be the check down, bubble screen king that's all he'll ever be. He won't suddenly come out of nowhere and start slinging it all over the place unless he learns how to do it. I'm still concerned that's really most of what he's going to be anyway though. He really hasn't shown me yet he's capable of going through his deeper reads and finding his receivers down field yet even when they're open. Mostly anything he throws beyond the sticks is his first read pre scripted. He seems to be looking for his pre script and if not open and goes straight to the check down or security blanket Ertz depending on which side of the field his initial read was and where his check down is.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Hope they find that balance because of you keep training him to be the check down, bubble screen king that's all he'll ever be. He won't suddenly come out of nowhere and start slinging it all over the place unless he learns how to do it. I'm still concerned that's really most of what he's going to be anyway though. He really hasn't shown me yet he's capable of going through his deeper reads and finding his receivers down field yet even when they're open. Mostly anything he throws beyond the sticks is his first read pre scripted. He seems to be looking for his pre script and if not open and goes straight to the check down or security blanket Ertz depending on which side of the field his initial read was and where his check down is.
That might very well be by design….show some patience….

…..it’s week 3 and he looks by far the most poised of the rook QBs.

Reactions: qc14

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Almost all those rushing stats are due to JD adding huge chunks to BRob/AE's total. There was not much rushing by RBs in week 1. PRetty solid in week 2, but JD's scrambles really skew the stats as if the OL is blocking so great for the running game. They're not. They stink to hell in the red zone, which is the real marker of an OL that can run block. JD scrambling for 22 yards on a passing play is not a good reflection of the OL at all.
Pretty solid, huh?

Robinson had 133 by himself…

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Except it’s exactly the track his college career took before he won the Heisman. He’s learning how to process the game quickly and he’s not forcing it or taking a lot of negative plays. It’s a rock solid foundation.

The bigger concern imo is whether or not he can stay upright long term.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Except it’s exactly the track his college career took before he won the Heisman. He’s learning how to process the game quickly and he’s not forcing it or taking a lot of negative plays. It’s a rock solid foundation.

The bigger concern imo is whether or not he can stay upright long term.
I tend to blame the sudden upward trend on having a top tier o-line (ranked 7 in the nation) and two absolute stud WRs who excelled at contested catches (combined they caught over 75% of his TD throws) but I guess maybe it was him.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal

Good film breakdown of JD week 2. Not familiar with this guy, but it’s all I could find.

Seems like he’s making smart decisions, and operating quickly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad