Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
CapFriendly has an interesting tool I haven't seen before that has scouting reports for some of the players;

Matt Roy
View attachment 888074
Matt Roy Scouting Report - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Brenden Dillon
View attachment 888075

Brenden Dillon Scouting Report - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

These are my guys

Dillon doesn't play PP< that's fine, the Rangers don't need that. He's a big, tough, hard-hitting LD and he won't require a long term commitment. 2-3 years
Capitals info next week.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
EF on Trouba today.

Confirms NYR asked for his list, which is normal. But after what happened with Goodrow, Drury has shown he will do whatever he feels is best for NYR “come hell or high water”.

If you’re Trouba, you need to be aware you might be moved. “It’s possible” but not sure how likely it is. Can’t see NYR wanting to go buyout route.

I don’t understand why people can’t seem to get that trouba can and must be moved. The list earlier and everyone talking about it, I can’t see how it isn’t possible and highly likely bc you can’t pay a 3rd pairing damn 8m per. Rangers won’t buy him out, he has value even though we don’t see it, it’s tthe truth.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
Servealli saying the Rangers are focused on a Lindgren extension and the price is reasonable

The issue is he’s not going to be on the pairing he should be so anything over a few million is not reasonable

I consider this good news, mostly in the sense that it would then appear Trouba is the one to be moved.

And hopefully that if cheap enough, Lindgren is moved down in the pecking order in favor of Miller or a new acquisition.

Reactions: McRanger92

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I like Tanev the player, but his next deal, starting at 35 years old, scares the crap out of me. He's getting 4 years from someone...

honestly kinda doubt it...I bet 2 years unless someone just can't stand to let him get away and gets dumb with a contract.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
This offseason and next deadline are going to cement my views on Drury. Individually, I have understood pretty much every move he's made other than that first summer. And last year's trade deadline -- which I am still annoyed with.

But I'm not sure he's been great big picture. We got for it almost every year. We have a lineup that's always been a little too thin. And because we go for it every year, we have limited draft capital and a prospect cupboard that's quite thin at the most important positions D and C.

And he came in 3 years ago preaching the same thing he's preaching now -- get bigger, stronger, harder to play against. And our assets and cap space to fix the issue just are never there.

This summer and deadline and how the team is retooled for the next 2 seasons is going to make or break his legacy as GM.

Aside from objectively bad moves of his own doing (Buch trade, bad contracts), I will grant that Drury has been hamstrung by moves like the Trouba deal. Nothing he can do about having no cap space.

Of course he shouldn't have signed Goodrow to begin with, shouldn't have given Mika the deal he gave him, shouldn't have given Shesterkin only a 4 year deal (should have ponied up to get him for longer, perhaps with the money he freed up by NOT signing Goodrow).

But he had no real cap space due to things the GM before him did.

i feel like we need a poll.

What is better for NYR:

A. Trade Trouba, extend Lindgren short term and play him on the 2nd or 3rd pair.
B. Trade Lindgrens rights, play Trouba on the 3rd pair.

Definitely A.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
It’s very clearly A, but the cap details are critical.

It is very clearly A, if we operate under the assumption that the contract is very reasonable, and that Lindgren gets moved down.

I think some people answered B because they don't think the contract will be reasonable and they don't think he'll be split from Fox, but that's not what the hypothetical presumed.

If there is interest in Trouba he’s gone. Drury can waive him like Goodrow knowing he’ll get claimed. Friedman, seravalli, Johnston all talking about it.

It’s the right move

Yup.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
With the ZIbanejad deal there really wasn't another available option at the time after Eichel didn't come here. Even then, Zibanejad's deal isn't terrible in terms of money and he could rebound from last year. But...there wasn't much out there for a 1C at the time

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Yeah honestly if there is something in place with a team that would be on his "yes" list, there is nothing that stands in the way of something getting done before July 1.

I saw Trouba for Chiarot straight up floated around and it made sense as they have equal term left on their deals, but it's only something I'd consider if Lindgren were on the move as well. I do not want a left side of Chiarot and Lindgren.
I doubt they approach Trouba about any trade specifics until he submits his list. I mean if they say, how do you feel about waiving for Detroit, for instance, theres a good chance that that goes on his list, even if it wasnt going to be before... I mean even seeing rumors he would probably put those places on his list... unless he doesnt want to stay here, which I don't see being the case.

Reactions: Profet

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I doubt they approach Trouba about any trade specifics until he submits his list. I mean if they say, how do you feel about waiving for Detroit, for instance, theres a good chance that that goes on his list, even if it wasnt going to be before... I mean even seeing rumors he would probably put those places on his list... unless he doesnt want to stay here, which I don't see being the case.
He has 15 teams.
He’s going to make it so that he gets to pick where he goes to a reasonable extent. He eliminates a place out of spite, that’s one less place he has control over.

Reactions: leetch99

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019
My biggest problem with Kane is that you can't use him on line 1 and you can't use him on line 4. Is he displacing Lafreniere on the Panarin line? Will they actually put him on the 3rd line? I think his name carries so much weight it is like the Mika and Kreider thing all over again. Everyone knows they should be split for the betterment of the team but they won't do it. If Kane comes in and plays a 3rd line with Chytil I can accept him coming, if they force him on the mika line and feed him pp1 mins I'm out.
I think Lafreniere and Kane would be electric together, but it would screw up the rest of the lines. I dont think 88 is a good fit

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
It drives me nuts. A lot of people think our window is short, and therefore we should trade picks and prospects for short-term fixes, but trading picks and prospects for short-term fixes is exactly what creates the short window.

“Short”

Chytil
Kakko
Lafreniere
Cuylle
Rempe
Edstrom
Othmann
Perreault
Berard

Fox
Schneider
Miller
Jones

All 25 years old or younger

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
He has 15 teams.
He’s going to make it so that he gets to pick where he goes to a reasonable extent. He eliminates a place out of spite, that’s one less place he has control over.
I look at it the other way: he eliminates a likely target and makes himself more difficult to move.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
“Short”

Chytil
Kakko
Lafreniere
Cuylle
Rempe
Edstrom
Othmann
Perreault
Berard

Fox
Schneider
Miller
Jones

All 25 years old or younger
I'm aware of the ages of our current players.

Short-term is stuff like Tarasenko, Kane, Mikkola, Wennberg, Roslovic.

If that list is meant to mean we don't have a short window, it depends on how some of those players develop, and what we do with the older players on our roster.

I wouldn't say our window is short right now, but I don't run the team. I can't stop Drury from making short-term moves. Some of those prospects could get traded for older player, thus shortening our window. Some of them may bust and, given all the picks we've traded, we have less chances to replace them, thus shortening our window.

This isn't hard to understand.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
I think Lafreniere and Kane would be electric together, but it would screw up the rest of the lines. I dont think 88 is a good fit
I fully expect the only way to get Lafreniere to actually play RW is to play him with another RW.

Because Rongos are going to Rongo.

Yes yes... I know he starts every faceoff on the RW, but I mean actually play the position on the ice. Not be five feet from Panarin on the LW boards in the neutral zone.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
But I think Drury needs a bigger vision and one that he can realistically sell to both Laffy and future free agents.
I think the fact that Laff regularly gets to play hockey come may and already been to multiple ECF is good enough marketing for Drurys vision in relation to keep Laff on board and also to be able to attract future free agents.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad