Prospect Info: Mikhail Yegorov - pick #49 2024 NHL Draft

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I have never seen Hischier or Nemec in a fight or hit the opposing player so hard they fall flatfooted. Never.
Hischier specifically has been injury prone. I am not sure what toughness you mean? As in character?
Palat tough? In what universe? Your mind?
Because he maybe mentally strong but I don't see him laying out people or engage physically throughout a hockey game.
Think before you type, bossman😉
Likewise, I’d probably take the rest of the week off.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Generally speaking, euro athletes are soft. All you need to do is look at basketball. Show me a tough euro basketball player in the NBA today?

Hockey is obviously a different conversation but more often than not euro prospects are perceived and rightfully end up being the finesse type.
It's just a fact. The bruiser types are not so common. They do come along every now and then but it's not the norm.
I do like these two specific russians though because they fit that NA mold of the players I like in my team.

What in the ever living f*** are you talking about?!

You’re spouting so much nonsense that I’m embarrassed for you. Good Lord.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Generally speaking, euro athletes are soft. All you need to do is look at basketball. Show me a tough euro basketball player in the NBA today?

Hockey is obviously a different conversation but more often than not euro prospects are perceived and rightfully end up being the finesse type.
It's just a fact. The bruiser types are not so common. They do come along every now and then but it's not the norm.
I do like these two specific russians though because they fit that NA mold of the players I like in my team.
My man has never watched the Serbians play basketball, smdh

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Drafted one Omaha Lancer to trade another former one today in Schmid. I love how Russian goalies are developed over most countries now so I'll be interested in this dude's development in coming years

It’s bad, not good. Russian goalie development coaching is in miles better, competition is much tougher, russian vertical of programs have different levels.

I still not mad about this guy. Would prefer many other players from the field. Still okay pick to me. Ncaa environment still good for development of the goalie. So let’s hope we will have starter or backup after few years.

Definitely agree with this, I wish he was staying overseas in Russia. They kick every country's ass with goalie development and their mechanics are still some of the best in the league. But let's pray for the best since it only helps the Devils lol

13BearerOfHope

Hoppsassa Gügüü
Oct 12, 2019

Show me Europe on a world map!

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
There are some assessments that say he is the most purely talented goalie in the draft. If he fixes some of his deficiency he could be a NHL starter. Has Fitz solved the Devils goalie problem? I say he has doe one hell of a good job trying with Our new goalies Markstrom & Allen plus Schmid and Daws and now Yegorov. Great job Fitz in one off season. Great GM.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Some assessments say he is the most purely talented goalie in the draft. If he fixes some of his deficiencies, he could be an NHL starter. Has Fitz solved the Devil's goalie problem? I say he has done one hell of a good job trying with Our new goalies Markstrom & Allen, Schmid and Daws, and now Yegorov. Great job, Fitz, in one off-season. Great GM.
I understand that Schmid is traded, so remove him in the equation still in great shape.

Reactions: My3Sons and Guadana

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Does he really count as Russian prospect? Won't be playing in KHL/russian JRs.

That said, its surprising how much better the Russian system has been compared to AHL for all players. Only benefit for AHL over KHL is the forced learning of english.
I’m not sure you can really compare the two. How do you judge this given how different the situations within them are?

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
I’m not sure you can really compare the two. How do you judge this given how different the situations within them are?

The KHL guys we've had the past few years that came to the NHL were doing extremely well when they got into the AHL.

The competition seems better there.

Reactions: My3Sons

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
The KHL guys we've had the past few years that came to the NHL were doing extremely well when they got into the AHL.

The competition seems better there.
But it’s still really hard to compare. It’s usually just the best guys who are NHL ready or really close that come over.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
They get significantly less so from Russia. Russian’s don’t come over to work their way through the AHL.

Thats kinda why I say KHL is good. It has higher competition so the transition from KHL-->AHL is easy.

The Russians that do come over tend to play in the AHL atleast the first year and they perform far better than they did in the KHL.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS

Very very experienced goalie coach at BU. Anyone with better than bush internet able to find some of the goaltenders he has worked with?

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Very subjective analysis to claim that Russians develop goalies better and we would be better off with a goalie in the Russian system. Everything goes through cycles, I’m not getting my panties in a bunch because there are a handful of Russian developed guys (Shesterkin, Sorokin, Bobrovsky) who have been successful in the most recent cycle.

Hellebuyck, Swayman and Demko are three of the best goalies in the league and were all developed through Hockey East.

If you include American born and developed (through juniors) Anthony Stolarz in that list, the top 4 goalies in the league this season in GSAx were all developed through the American system.

forceten

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I am really displeased with the casual cultural bias being shilled in this thread by a particular individual. Disgusting.

But in the United States (after all, America is two continents) today, there’s a large segment that equates “tough” to “speaking loudly like an asshole” and ignoring the poor reaction to it. So I am not surprised.

Apologies to our members from all around the world who I am thankful for having as it makes this forum so much better for having you.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I am really displeased with the casual cultural bias being shilled in this thread by a particular individual. Disgusting.

But in the United States (after all, America is two continents) today, there’s a large segment that equates “tough” to “speaking loudly like an asshole” and ignoring the poor reaction to it. So I am not surprised.

Apologies to our members from all around the world who I am thankful for having as it makes this forum so much better for having you.
Agreed, the ignorance really shows on these boards.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

That's like, your opinion, man.

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
Yegorov is a great example of how stats don’t always tell the full story. A goalie with a 3.86 GAA, 0.892 sv%, and 8-25-3 record going in the top 50 picks? Really? But fear not, there’s plenty of reason to like this selection.

No need to mince words here, the Omaha Lancers were a bad hockey team this year. Dead last in the USHL, and by a significant margin. Every Yegorov reviewing abounded with ridiculous turnovers from his defense, and him being frequently left out to dry on scoring chances. It should come as no surprise that he struggled to put up respectable numbers. In fact, no one on that roster, outside of a high schooler who had a couple hot starts to end the year, was able to. Of course, that’s not the only reason he had poor numbers, and I’ll get to that in a minute, but it’s imperative fans don’t solely focus on that.

Yegorov offers a high degree of athleticism with super quick reflexes. His movement across the net is quick and snappy, and while his lateral skating ability still stands to improve a bit, it’s not a significant limiting factor at this point. He’s extremely controlled when squaring up to a shooter, great at adjusting his stance if need be, and very hard to beat down low. Even in the butterfly, Yegorov’s 6’5” frame still feels large.

It’s not just about the physical attributes, though. Yegorov is a very unshakable goalie. He’s not bothered by forwards driving his net or challenging the ice around his crease. As mentioned, he pretty much got shelled night in and night out thanks to the defenders in front of him, and yet you could never be able to tell that given how carries himself in net; Yegorov is fiercely competitive irrespective of the score. He also seems to have a remarkable ability to mentally reset after blowout losses. It’s a testament to his character and competitiveness that he’s so unaffected by the scoreboard.

And from a scouting perspective, I actually prefer that he had to face so much action because I think it’s more likely to help him progress his game. Sure, system goalies getting sheltered behind a really good roster will put up significantly better stats, but they won’t be facing the same number breakdowns, follow-up attempts, or overall pressure in net. I want my goalie prospect facing shot after shot after shot.

A couple other positives worth mentioning: Yegorov is a pretty decent puckhandler. Not elite by any means, but assertive, and with a surprisingly good backhand. He also seems to have a very warm, candid personality from his interviews.

So, while Yegorov does have physical and mental strengths to his game, he also has weaknesses in both areas. Physically speaking, going back to his lateral movement issue, he has a tendency to overshoot save attempts and lose his crease. This occurs somewhat frequently and makes him look very slippery in net. The responsiveness to shot attempts is good, I do appreciate that, but he’s clearly overextending a lot of the time.

Positionally, he’s also not the best with his angles, which is particularly problematic on his glove side, which is not that great. Again, I appreciate that he’s aggressive in challenging shooters, but he can absolutely expose himself in the process, and the glove is simply not quick enough for him to recover.

Additionally, I wouldn’t say he’s the best at swallowing first attempts. This might not be an outright weakness because, generally speaking, I do trust his rebound control and ability to deflect pucks away from danger, but especially compared to some other goalies we passed on to land him, I don’t see the same ability to cleanly end scoring chances.

Mentally speaking, his puck tracking and anticipation are both just fine. Far from the worst in the class, but not a clear strength of his game either. It’s good that he’s pretty much undisturbed by the traffic in front of him, but that’s not to say he’s always able to keep an eye on the puck. I’m also left to wonder if some of his anticipation issues are influencing his overextensions in net. Perhaps it’s less of a mechanical thing and more an issue of him misjudging how and to where the puck is moving. Something that might support this notion is that, although much less frequently, he’ll also undershoot save attempts as well.

I believe the plan is for Yegorov to spend another year in Omaha and then head up to Boston University. I have no problem with this, particularly because I assume there just isn’t the same avenue for him to get playing time in BU if he were to go next season. As I said earlier, I want him getting reps more than anything, and I imagine staying with the Lancers will best accomplish that.

In terms of pick value, he wasn’t quite my top goalie available, which would’ve been Moysevich or Zarubin, but I still liked him in the late 2nd/early 3rd range, and had no problem with the team targeting the best NA-based goalie in the class. Russia really does seem to be the superior system for goalie development right now, but the NCAA route is still quite good. Plus, the team likely gets more control over his progression than they would have with Moysevich, who’s an overager signed for another 3 years, or Zarubin, who is probably a super long-term project.

All of this said, what type of hit am I forecasting from Yegorov? Truthfully, I have no idea, I’m not nearly good enough at projecting goalies like that. I wanted to take this opportunity to discuss the things I’m seeing, particularly the weaknesses, since it’ll help gauge how he’s progressing over the next few years.

Yegorov is certainly the most talented draft-day goalie we’ve taken in a near decade, and while he probably went a bit earlier than I would’ve picked him, it’s hard to argue with the staff if they had him ranked as their #1 target. Plus, since they had just seen Nabokov get taken about 10 spots earlier, I imagine they were worried about a run on goalies starting and felt the need to jump on the Marino trade to get their guy. Given how the remainder of the 2nd and early parts of the 3rd went, I would say they were correct to assume that.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Yegorov is a great example of how stats don’t always tell the full story. A goalie with a 3.86 GAA, 0.892 sv%, and 8-25-3 record going in the top 50 picks? Really? But fear not, there’s plenty of reason to like this selection.

No need to mince words here, the Omaha Lancers were a bad hockey team this year. Dead last in the USHL, and by a significant margin. Every Yegorov reviewing abounded with ridiculous turnovers from his defense, and him being frequently left out to dry on scoring chances. It should come as no surprise that he struggled to put up respectable numbers. In fact, no one on that roster, outside of a high schooler who had a couple hot starts to end the year, was able to. Of course, that’s not the only reason he had poor numbers, and I’ll get to that in a minute, but it’s imperative fans don’t solely focus on that.

Yegorov offers a high degree of athleticism with super quick reflexes. His movement across the net is quick and snappy, and while his lateral skating ability still stands to improve a bit, it’s not a significant limiting factor at this point. He’s extremely controlled when squaring up to a shooter, great at adjusting his stance if need be, and very hard to beat down low. Even in the butterfly, Yegorov’s 6’5” frame still feels large.

It’s not just about the physical attributes, though. Yegorov is a very unshakable goalie. He’s not bothered by forwards driving his net or challenging the ice around his crease. As mentioned, he pretty much got shelled night in and night out thanks to the defenders in front of him, and yet you could never be able to tell that given how carries himself in net; Yegorov is fiercely competitive irrespective of the score. He also seems to have a remarkable ability to mentally reset after blowout losses. It’s a testament to his character and competitiveness that he’s so unaffected by the scoreboard.

And from a scouting perspective, I actually prefer that he had to face so much action because I think it’s more likely to help him progress his game. Sure, system goalies getting sheltered behind a really good roster will put up significantly better stats, but they won’t be facing the same number breakdowns, follow-up attempts, or overall pressure in net. I want my goalie prospect facing shot after shot after shot.

A couple other positives worth mentioning: Yegorov is a pretty decent puckhandler. Not elite by any means, but assertive, and with a surprisingly good backhand. He also seems to have a very warm, candid personality from his interviews.

So, while Yegorov does have physical and mental strengths to his game, he also has weaknesses in both areas. Physically speaking, going back to his lateral movement issue, he has a tendency to overshoot save attempts and lose his crease. This occurs somewhat frequently and makes him look very slippery in net. The responsiveness to shot attempts is good, I do appreciate that, but he’s clearly overextending a lot of the time.

Positionally, he’s also not the best with his angles, which is particularly problematic on his glove side, which is not that great. Again, I appreciate that he’s aggressive in challenging shooters, but he can absolutely expose himself in the process, and the glove is simply not quick enough for him to recover.

Additionally, I wouldn’t say he’s the best at swallowing first attempts. This might not be an outright weakness because, generally speaking, I do trust his rebound control and ability to deflect pucks away from danger, but especially compared to some other goalies we passed on to land him, I don’t see the same ability to cleanly end scoring chances.

Mentally speaking, his puck tracking and anticipation are both just fine. Far from the worst in the class, but not a clear strength of his game either. It’s good that he’s pretty much undisturbed by the traffic in front of him, but that’s not to say he’s always able to keep an eye on the puck. I’m also left to wonder if some of his anticipation issues are influencing his overextensions in net. Perhaps it’s less of a mechanical thing and more an issue of him misjudging how and to where the puck is moving. Something that might support this notion is that, although much less frequently, he’ll also undershoot save attempts as well.

I believe the plan is for Yegorov to spend another year in Omaha and then head up to Boston University. I have no problem with this, particularly because I assume there just isn’t the same avenue for him to get playing time in BU if he were to go next season. As I said earlier, I want him getting reps more than anything, and I imagine staying with the Lancers will best accomplish that.

In terms of pick value, he wasn’t quite my top goalie available, which would’ve been Moysevich or Zarubin, but I still liked him in the late 2nd/early 3rd range, and had no problem with the team targeting the best NA-based goalie in the class. Russia really does seem to be the superior system for goalie development right now, but the NCAA route is still quite good. Plus, the team likely gets more control over his progression than they would have with Moysevich, who’s an overager signed for another 3 years, or Zarubin, who is probably a super long-term project.

All of this said, what type of hit am I forecasting from Yegorov? Truthfully, I have no idea, I’m not nearly good enough at projecting goalies like that. I wanted to take this opportunity to discuss the things I’m seeing, particularly the weaknesses, since it’ll help gauge how he’s progressing over the next few years.

Yegorov is certainly the most talented draft-day goalie we’ve taken in a near decade, and while he probably went a bit earlier than I would’ve picked him, it’s hard to argue with the staff if they had him ranked as their #1 target. Plus, since they had just seen Nabokov get taken about 10 spots earlier, I imagine they were worried about a run on goalies starting and felt the need to jump on the Marino trade to get their guy. Given how the remainder of the 2nd and early parts of the 3rd went, I would say they were correct to assume that.
Thanks, man, as always, great review.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad