Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Rangers Sabres Trade Proposal

Rangers get Peyton Krebs (RFA)
Sabres get Kaapo Kakko (RFA)

Rangers liked Krebs during his draft year. Rangers get some grit and depth. Change of scenery for change of scenery

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
Players waive NMC all the time. Mika still has value. I wouldnt be surprised if he was OK going to St. Louis. Not sure what we’d get in return though
Why would he waive for St.Louis when he already plays for a contender? He wants to win in New York and the management wants him here. No amount of sad whining from fans on a message board will change that.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
But for a team who's #1 center, cant bring it 3 post seasons in a row, and looks like he's on another planet?!
21-22: 24 points in 20 games
23-24: 16 points in 16 games

We all wish he would have played better against Florida but you are straight up peddling falsehoods.

Reactions: UnparalledPark

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
i don't agree. and sincerely hope they trade him if he wants much money.

They'll be in the same position just like they were with Hank. good but never good enough.
Explain to me how having a shit goalie would be better.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Igor at the deadline would be interesting because he really could put a team over the top as a rental and no real caphit issues.

Hank's last 2 contracts with us were just over 13% of the cap each time. For $87.7m that would put Igor at $11.4m which is quite the price tag if he is looking for similar.

If you are trading Igor, it's this summer, not at the deadline.

A team would I think, pay more for a full season of certainty in nets as opposed to a few months and a potential run

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
It’s not a bad thought
It’s either that type of trade or just picks
Krebs the Rangers liked during his draft year. Krebs also fills a need. Spunky player. Maybe the change of scenery helps. Id rather make a trade like this for Kakko, then having Kakko just dealt for a pick.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
How? You say this all the time but how? Do we need to tank until we luck into drafting a McDavid or MacKinnon?

This team is much closer than our sore, open wounds will let us believe. They just took the vaunted Panthers to 6 games in the ECF with a crippled Fox, an AHL captain, and some sourdough starter.

I don’t think Panarin is going to come around in the playoffs. It’s just not his game. But it might not matter if he’s flanked by Trocheck and the next evolution of Laf.

If Fox is healthy next year and Trouba is painting the Chicago or Buffalo skyline I like our chances against anyone again.

It's the time of year where the perpetual naysayers do their victory lap, and say the Rangers should blow up the team despite winning the President's Trophy, going to the ECF for the 2nd time in 3 years and *gasp!* losing to a team every non-Ranger fan knew was better than us.

The only core guy who has a chance of leaving is Trouba and even that's unlikely. Rangers will extend Igor obviously and probably run back the same team. My hope would be they find upgrades on Lindgren and Kakko. They have the assets to do so, and they arent in a cap crunch until next year. Once everyone stops being so emo about things the path forward is pretty clear.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
it's interesting that amidst all of this talk, the Panthers are one of the best examples of a team that turned their culture around so quickly. Any of you remember when Bill Zito the GM of the Panthers held a conference 2 years ago and said he would do anything it took to get the Panthers a cup? He was a man on a mission since that conference and he really went all-in.

If Drury wants to continue with this window, then he has to grow a pair and pull the trigger on one or two hockey trades that will really change the culture of this team. Everyone hates hockey trades nowadays. Everyone's so scared of what the trade tree can look like. People nowadays only do the classic buyer-seller trade at the draft for an expiring player or at the TDL. Yea, those have their place but they can only do so much. Drury needs to get the balls and make a hockey trade or two that will sting. He needs to roll the dice for a higher reward. He still needs to make TDL trades too though, and be willing to part with assets that will bring in more than Roslovic and Wennberg.

if you think of it, hockey across the board has gotten soft, not just in the play but even in the managing. Yea, there's less hitting, less fighting and all that but even less hockey trades as well, and players get NMC and NTC likes its candy. everyone's so timid in all aspects today. damn...

The Panthers were going clubbing until 4am the night before a playoff game. I don't think the Rangers need a culture change for spending time with family on an off day. Lots of them have young children. Laviolette on Day 1 emphasized the family aspect of the team (it's been his shtick for years). They need to move some guys (Trouba, Lindgren, Kakko) for better players, not because the culture is rotten. Rangers culture is pretty damn good I would say. We win a lot of games and go deeper into the playoffs than a lot of so called contenders. The team is close.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
The Panthers were going clubbing until 4am the night before a playoff game. I don't think the Rangers need a culture change for spending time with family on an off day. Lots of them have young children. Laviolette on Day 1 emphasized the family aspect of the team (it's been his shtick for years). They need to move some guys (Trouba, Lindgren, Kakko) for better players, not because the culture is rotten. Rangers culture is pretty damn good I would say. We win a lot of games and go deeper into the playoffs than a lot of so called contenders. The team is close.

The team is close but Rangers avoided skilled grit in the top 6 or even top 9 outside of Cuylle. It seems like whenever the Rangers get grit, it’s always a guy that plays 5 mins a night. You know goal scorers do have grit in their game. It’s something Rangers have lacked for a long time. This team is too finesse and soft heavy for the playoffs. Drury has not fixed that on the Rangers roster although the prospects have that but arent ready yet outside of Othmann who should make the team out of camp.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
The team is close but Rangers avoided skilled grit in the top 6 or even top 9 outside of Cuylle. It seems like whenever the Rangers get grit, it’s always a guy that plays 5 mins a night. You know goal scorers do have grit in their game. It’s something Rangers have lacked for a long time. This team is too finesse and soft heavy for the playoffs. Drury has not fixed that on the Rangers roster although the prospects have that but arent ready yet outside of Othmann who should make the team out of camp.

We didnt have any issues with the top 6 grit until the Florida series. I actually though Washington and Carolina had no answer for our physicality. They need to add speed and nastiness, but that doesnt mean wholesale changes are needed. I think some of that comes in house with the prospects who are ready, but they definitely need a top 4 D and a top 6 wing who can actually do the job. Lindgren and Kakko cant.

Reactions: tiggles

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Ducks were interested in Kakko at the trade deadline. Emily Kaplan reported the Ducks offered Henrique and Vatrano to the Rangers for Kakko and 1st round pick. Drury said no. Using the Alex Newhook trade template from last summer. Newhook to the Habs for picks #31 and #37. The Rangers trade Kakko to Anaheim for picks #31/32 and #35. #31/32 is the Oilers pick from the Henrique trade.

The Rangers flip those picks to make another deal.

Colorado flipped #37 to TB for Colton.

The Rangers free up the Kakko money for next season(qualifying offer and then contract) and it opens up a spot for Othmann.

This draft has so many quality D. The Rangers would need to get up much higher. Trading Lindgren could them into that group. The Islanders traded a #1 pick-13th overall to Montreal for Romanov. Montreal flipped that pick to Chicago for Kirby Dach.

Miller plays with Fox. Find a partner for Schneider.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
The Ducks were interested in Kakko at the trade deadline. Emily Kaplan reported the Ducks offered Henrique and Vatrano to the Rangers for Kakko and 1st round pick. Drury said no. Using the Alex Newhook trade template from last summer. Newhook to the Habs for picks #31 and #37. The Rangers trade Kakko to Anaheim for picks #31/32 and #35. #31/32 is the Oilers pick from the Henrique trade.

The Rangers free up the Kakko money for next season(qualifying offer and then contract) and it opens up a spot for Othmann.

This draft has so many quality D. The Rangers would need to get up much higher. Trading Lindgren could them into that group. The Islanders traded a #1 pick-13th overall to Montreal for Romanov. Montreal flipped that pick to Chicago for Kirby Dach.

Doesnt Anaheim have a bunch of good d-prospects or young dmen?

That is the route I would go if i traded Kakko there.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
Yes I am.

Igor is the best goalie of this generation. He seems to be getting even better as he ages (and he is not old)

1 team wins the Stanley Cup. I want to win as much as anyone but I also want to enjoy the entire season. An extra million or so isn't going to tip the balance.

You really excited about Quick and Domingue splitting the crease next year?

There are no guarantees in this world.
I don't want to trade Shesterkin, but if his demands get unrealistic/unfriendly cap wise, they need to take a look at it. Obviously replacing him wouldn't be easy; would have to get a young/up and coming goalie back. Someone else's average starter wouldn't do it (though some of the goalies who have won Cups recently like Keumper/Niemi/Binnington/Hill, etc., if they team in front of him is right...); who knows if Garand can become an NHL no. 1 starting goalie eventually.

If they fix the pieces in front of him at (hopefully) a somewhat cheaper price, then you could swallow a big money Shesterkin extension.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY

Was thinking similar but for Chicago/KK.

Chicago has 34 and 50.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad