Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Imo you need to begin to handoff this team to the future core and Igor.

Invest in Lafreniere, put him on the PP1. I dont care who comes off. Give the kid the keys. Hes at that level now.

Structure the next deals, UFA signings and trade targets to allow for the Othmann's and Perrault's to have a spot when they are ready.

Invest in building a stronger 5on5 team to keep the chances down against Igor. If Igor faced the same exact shots Bob faced throughout the series he'd probably have 2 or 3 shutouts and maybe a series sweep. And a lot of is just because the puck is in the other end more than half the time. You'd have a rested goalie later in the year as well. You cant waste this guys career without a Cup like they did Henriks.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
I put my ass out there standing up for Laffy and stood up for him even when he looked his worst, I'll do the same now for Kakko. He's a prototypical power forward and they tend to prime very late. I still think he figures out a nice offensive side to his game. Maybe he'll be a 25-25 guy who plays fantastic defense and can grind with the best of them. I'd be fine with that and I think he'll get there.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I like Ehlers, obviously Buch would be awesome. Another guy I would target, and I’m not sure he’d be available but Drake Batherson from Ottawa. All would do a great job filling that #1RW spot. But the thing is, the weak link is Zibanejad. I’m not sure how much of an impact a really good RW is going to have in terms of changing the outcome when that line is matched up against the other top lines in the league. It will always be an uphill battle because Zibanejad is far from that echelon of center. And frankly Kreider is not the same play driver he used to be. Which is understandable considering he’s in his mid 30s. If the Rangers are going to win a cup, the rest of the team around Zibanejad has to overcome the fact that he’s not elite and I don’t know if that’s possible with the way this team is structured salary wise you can’t have Goodrow at 3.6M, or Trouba at 8M or Igor at 12M or even Panarin at 11.6M. Otherwise there are too many holes around the lineup.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I like Ehlers, obviously Buch would be awesome. Another guy I would target, and I’m not sure he’d be available but Drake Batherson from Ottawa. All would do a great job filling that #1RW spot. But the thing is, the weak link is Zibanejad. I’m not sure how much of an impact a really good RW is going to have in terms of changing the outcome when that line is matched up against the other top lines in the league. It will always be an uphill battle because Zibanejad is far from that echelon of center. And frankly Kreider is not the same play driver he used to be. Which is understandable considering he’s in his mid 30s. If the Rangers are going to win a cup, the rest of the team around Zibanejad has to overcome the fact that he’s not elite and I don’t know if that’s possible with the way this team is structured salary wise you can’t have Goodrow at 3.6M, or Trouba at 8M or Igor at 12M or even Panarin at 11.6M. Otherwise there are too many holes around the lineup.
I agree with this which is why I would run Kreider-Trocheck-Lafreniere as the top line. No, it doesn't have a Barkov or a MacKinnon on it, but I think, as a line, they could win battles.

Then I would find a RW for Panarin-Zibanejad that could at least get them to score. It puts the problems on one line. Panarin-Zibanejad-Buchnevich would also be good.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

Dallas did this with some success when they diminished Benn and Seguin's roles. They didnt get hung up on the cap hit or locker room "issues", and remained a top echelon team. If Kreider and Mika are as good teammates as their reputation precedes(I think they are personally), having a convo with both about this being the path forward for the overall group is the move. If they don't like it, the door is right there.

I dont see why we can't add a legit RW and #2 D-man and play the 2 PP units evenly.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I agree with this which is why I would run Kreider-Trocheck-Lafreniere as the top line. No, it doesn't have a Barkov or a MacKinnon on it, but I think, as a line, they could win battles.

Then I would find a RW for Panarin-Zibanejad that could at least get them to score. It puts the problems on one line. Panarin-Zibanejad-Buchnevich would also be good.
Maybe that’s the solution, and they really don’t have much of a choice unless there’s some miracle and Zibanejad was willing to waive.

Going to have to be very creative and find some way to minimize Zibanejads weaknesses.

Dallas did this with some success when they diminished Benn and Seguin's roles. They didnt get hung up on the cap hit or locker room "issues", and remained a top echelon team. If Kreider and Mika are as good teammates as their reputation precedes(I think they are personally), having a convo with both about this being the path forward for the overall group is the move. If they don't like it, the door is right there.

I dont see why we can't add a legit RW and #2 D-man and play the 2 PP units evenly.
Dallas has ended up in the same position as the Rangers quite frankly. They don’t have that elite center to matchup against the big boys. Eichel, McDavid, Draisaitl all took their lunch money. Pushing guys down the lineup like that only goes so far, you have to replace them with elite talent otherwise you will never get over the himp. But their cap hits make that almost impossible.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Are the Jets actively looking to move Ehlers? They signed Hellebuyck and Scheifele to long term deals and they aren't on the good side of 30. Maybe if he plans on playing the season out without a new deal, but they were just one of the best teams in the league. Doesn't seem like they are retooling and they had attendance issues. If they move Ehlers for futures, I can't see a happy fanbase.

Ehlers is one of the best 5v5 players in the league. Tremendous speed and skill. He'd instantly become one of the best 5v5 players this team has had in a while. Even with 1 year left, he'd cost quite a bit and the Rangers don't have the space to re-sign him without some maneuvering.

All of this would depend on Trouba being moved out that money would go straight to someone like Ehlers.

Reactions: NikoEhlers

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

We treated Trocheck like the 1C all year, and then against Florida, we hard-matched Zibanejad against Barkov.

It's time to hand Trocheck the keys. We could have a sperate discussion on whether or not we can win him in that spot, but that's neither here nor there. He's our best center today and should be in that spot. In his defense, he played Barkov basically even in the minutes they shared.

Granted, neither team actually scored a goal when Zibanejad and Barkov shared the ice, so some might argue it's all just piss in the wind. I don't agree with that. I think, in a playoff series, there's something to be said for the flow of the game, and building momentum/mounting a forecheck shift by shift.

Those shifts were spent almost entirely in our zone and really torpedoed offensive flow, even if Barkov didn't do much on the scoreboard 5v5.

(This entire post is 5v5 BTW)

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Maybe that’s the solution, and they really don’t have much of a choice unless there’s some miracle and Zibanejad was willing to waive.

Going to have to be very creative and find some way to minimize Zibanejads weaknesses.

Dallas has ended up in the same position as the Rangers quite frankly. They don’t have that elite center to matchup against the big boys. Eichel, McDavid, Draisaitl all took their lunch money. Pushing guys down the lineup like that only goes so far, you have to replace them with elite talent otherwise you will never get over the himp. But their cap hits make that almost impossible.

I actually though Oettinger getting outplayed by Skinner is why they didnt make it past EDM. Pavelski also fell off hard and they made a big error trading a first for Nils who couldnt even get into the playoff lineup, while they largely used 4 defenseman. They also beat Vegas and Colorado on their run this year. They'll be right back in the mix next year, as will we.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
We treated Trocheck like the 1C all year, and then against Florida, we hard-matched Zibanejad against Barkov.

It's time to hand Trocheck the keys. We could have a sperate discussion on whether or not we can win him in that spot, but that's neither here nor there. He's our best center today and should be in that spot. In his defense, he played Barkov basically even in the minutes they shared.

Granted, neither team actually scored a goal when Zibanejad and Barkov shared the ice, so some might argue it's all just piss in the wind. I don't agree with that. I think, in a playoff series, there's something to be said for the flow of the game, and building momentum/mounting a forecheck shift by shift.

Those shifts were spent almost entirely in our zone and really torpedoed offensive flow, even if Barkov didn't do much on the scoreboard 5v5.

(This entire post is 5v5 BTW)

Mika is a tough case because he is not good 5v5. Something happened after Covid where they only shot he likes is a one timer on the PP. Obviously its time for a come to Jesus moment in that regard.

However, I think he has shown he is an excellent defensive player with the ice he can cover and willingness to get back and make a play, and a legitimate weapon with Kreider on the PK. I think we are worse without him. I want to use him with more offensively talented wingers (Panarin & Laf) who will take the puck out of his hands and let him play the 200 foot game. Point production wont be an issue with those 2, he will put up 80+ by accident.

• Love
Reactions: skipmowerman

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Actually, the Panthers only outscored us by 2 at 5v5, which is a lot less than they deserved. Their stars were very unimpressive at putting up numbers considering how often they had the puck (plus, you know, Igor) and the opening was there to beat them at 5v5 (you know, if we were good at it).

We lost this series on special teams if you go by just the goals, where we got absolutely hosed. How could that happen? We were the best special teams team all year!

Special teams is a meme. It's not as much of a meme as goaltending, but it's a meme. That's why so many people harp on 5v5. It's not the only part of the game, but it's the only part of the game you can truly rely on.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Mika is a tough case because he is not good 5v5. Something happened after Covid where they only shot he likes is a one timer on the PP. Obviously its time for a come to Jesus moment in that regard.

However, I think he has shown he is an excellent defensive player with the ice he can cover and willingness to get back and make a play, and a legitimate weapon with Kreider on the PK. I think we are worse without him. I want to use him with more offensively talented wingers (Panarin & Laf) who will take the puck out of his hands and let him play the 200 foot game. Point production wont be an issue with those 2, he will put up 80+ by accident.
I mean yeah, if we can reduce his role and paper over other holes, he produces more stuff than most middle six centers.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Actually, the Panthers only outscored us by 2 at 5v5, which is a lot less than they deserved. Their stars were very unimpressive at putting up numbers considering how often they had the puck (plus, you know, Igor) and the opening was there to beat them at 5v5 (you know, if we were good at it).

We lost this series on special teams if you go by just the goals, where we got absolutely hosed. How could that happen? We were the best special teams team all year!

Special teams is a meme. It's not as much of a meme as goaltending, but it's a meme. That's why so many people harp on 5v5. It's not the only part of the game, but it's the only part of the game you can truly rely on.
Ultimately, it was a super razor thin series. The Rangers could have ended up winning the series.

Ironically, Florida's special teams being better is what won them the series. Florida's PP's were godly this series, while the Rangers weren't. And the Rangers PK was garbage.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I mean yeah, if we can reduce his role and paper over other holes, he produces more stuff than most middle six centers.

I think that's the plan for Mika. That being said I have no clue what to to with Chytil and the 3C spot.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Ultimately, it was a super razor thin series. The Rangers could have ended up winning the series.

Ironically, Florida's special teams being better is what won them the series. Florida's PP's were godly this series, while the Rangers weren't. And the Rangers PK was garbage.
People point to the Vesey injury, but idk, I think your PK just runs into a wall for a few games. So does your PP. It's natural.

That's why you can't lean on it for four rounds.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
I’m expecting next to no big changes. They’re married to this core and they’ll keep building around it. Wennberg may come back. Roslovic most likely gone. Kakko will probably be back because he has no value. Kids will get chances. It’s gonna be another solid year and another outside shot at The Cup. If Baby Tkachuk is available I’m sure the rangers will make a big offer but like Eichel/Buffalo I doubt Ottawa trades him to NYC.
I see no reason Ottowa would not want to trade him here. Buffalo is different. Same state and the owner has "little brother" syndrome when it come to this team.

If Trouba was not playing hurt, they may move on from him. I still say he gets a decent return. GM's love the kind of stuff he does.
Zibs is impossible to move.
Pan and Kreids going nowhere.
Kakko may go if they can get some value for him.

I can see them signing D help.
I can see them letting Ros and Wenn go.
I can see Jones getting a real chance.
I can see them trying to backfill the bottom six from within the system.
I really want to see them try a line of 24-72-50.

Last edited:

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
People point to the Vesey injury, but idk, I think your PK just runs into a wall for a few games. So does your PP. It's natural.

That's why you can't lean on it for four rounds.

The bigger lesson from this run, and the one in 2022, is that relying on a goalie and hot special teams can work when winning a Cup, but if it doesnt come through you get ugly series like this. Lavi and Drury need to get to work because I think there is an effective 5v5 team somewhere in there with a few solid additions. I think a lot of it starts on D more than at forward

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
I put my ass out there standing up for Laffy and stood up for him even when he looked his worst, I'll do the same now for Kakko. He's a prototypical power forward and they tend to prime very late. I still think he figures out a nice offensive side to his game. Maybe he'll be a 25-25 guy who plays fantastic defense and can grind with the best of them. I'd be fine with that and I think he'll get there.
You may very well be correct but I think that he'll need a change of scenery to get there.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Are we even sure Chytil is fully recovered and will be a difference maker next season? I'm skeptical.

I have great respect for how hard he worked to get back. He was clearly multiple steps behind, anyone would be after 6 months off and getting thrown into the playoffs. Having said that, he is kind of like Kakko in that he isnt really the player we need in the bottom 6.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The bigger lesson from this run, and the one in 2022, is that relying on a goalie and hot special teams can work when winning a Cup, but if it doesnt come through you get ugly series like this. Lavi and Drury need to get to work because I think there is an effective 5v5 team somewhere in there with a few solid additions. I think a lot of it starts on D more than at forward
Right, like, the team isn't terrible.

They have to operate around some holes, but some worse rosters on paper have won the Cup. If you kept dropping the 2019 Blues into the league over and over again, I'm not convinced they even make the playoffs every time.

But they have to recognize it and make a real effort to change it.

When people talk about culture change, I don't look at it like "well these guys are all soft and they need to want it more." Some people say that, but it's yelling at clouds. And imagine the arrogance to think you're so good, you could just win the Cup if you wanted to.

No, it's more like, there's a lot of "well, this is what we're good at" energy from this organization, and no, you need to challenge yourselves to get better.

Raise the bar, and then maybe some people have to go, but start with a concerted effort to play a better brand of hockey.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
You might be right. I always think he needs specific linemates who are on the same wavelength in order to produce offense. If he is dropped into a new situation he reverts to a kind of very safe & unimaginative play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad