Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Right, like, the team isn't terrible.

They have to operate around some holes, but some worse rosters on paper have won the Cup. If you kept dropping the 2019 Blues into the league over and over again, I'm not convinced they even make the playoffs every time.

But they have to recognize it and make a real effort to change it.

When people talk about culture change, I don't look at it like "well these guys are all soft and they need to want it more." Some people say that, but it's yelling at clouds. And imagine the arrogance to think you're so good, you could just win the Cup if you wanted to.

No, it's more like, there's a lot of "well, this is what we're good at" energy from this organization, and no, you need to challenge yourselves to get better.

Raise the bar, and then maybe some people have to go, but start with a concerted effort to play a better brand of hockey.

Totally agree. I think the first step to challenging themselves is entrenched pairs like Mika/Kreider and Fox/Lindgren learning to play without the crutch of the other.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Totally agree. I think the first step to challenging themselves is entrenched pairs like Mika/Kreider and Fox/Lindgren learning to play without the crutch of the other.
It's possible. The Oilers did it.

Ok, I know who they have, but the bottom of their lineup and defense is filled with JAG's. Plus, Draisaitl is not exactly Charlie Hustle for 200 feet.

They were willing to tweak the lineup. Draisaitl at center full-time has deepened the lineup and they finally found a line that works for him. There's been a clear mandate, unless you're one of the big boys, to shut teams down. They got rid of the same old entrenched bullshit without blowing up the roster.

Most importantly, they have ZERO bad players. Big fat donut. Even Cody Ceci has been ok as a #6. We have a handful of bad players and some of them play a ton.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Trade him. He isn't bad, but he isn't what we need. Sign Stephenson.

The picks, prospects and cap we can bring in by trading all of Kakko, Chytil, Lindgren and Goodrow can help remake the team. Rip the bandaid off.

I feel like its the Strome situation all over again. Chytil is a solid player and probably underpaid for his ceiling , but we need another Trocheck. Stephenson can certainly be that.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Stephenson is another Alex Wennberg. Why do we want him? That is a guy who never shoots. He's not physical and his possession numbers have been bad for two years.

Stephenson 64-65-51 point totals the last 3 years. Wennberg (who I like) - 37-38-30

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
I don't see Drury having a lot of wiggle room this offseason and I'd be shocked if Trouba, Zib, or Panarin are traded. Go get a real RW to play with Mika and Kreider next year (maybe use Kakko and Miller as trade chips). Leave Trocheck's line alone. Find some guys that can skate and chip in with some goals for the 3rd line - they already have two in Cuylle and Chytil, and add some size and meanness to the 4th.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Yeah honestly I'd rather move assets for Cirelli (if thats the bolts cap casualty) than sign Stephenson.

Long commitment but theres a 4 year age gap.
I mean if he is available yeah. That would be the best get. We will see.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Yeah honestly I'd rather move assets for Cirelli (if thats the bolts cap casualty) than sign Stephenson.

Long commitment but theres a 4 year age gap.

This has my attention as well. Theoretically we matchup well with Lightning in a trade

OriginalLimbo

May 27, 2019
Raise the bar, and then maybe some people have to go, but start with a concerted effort to play a better brand of hockey.
A few tweaks and they can get there…mostly. I just don’t see our 2 highest paid forwards changing their spots.

That’s why - and I think you have been saying this for a while now - putting PANARIN and ZBAD together makes so much sense.

Upgrades on D, and an actual 2 legged FOX, also cover up many other issues.

Reactions: Machinehead

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
You might be right. I always think he needs specific linemates who are on the same wavelength in order to produce offense. If he is dropped into a new situation he reverts to a kind of very safe & unimaginative play.
I think there are some mental hurdles for him to overcome to get to that next level. Usually when I look at these guys - if you're a #1 or #2 pick, in most years you have a ton of talent. I think Kakko does. The biggest piece of the puzzle is determining if the player has the humility to overcome whats in front of him. I always maintained that Laffy was a humble guy and would take direction and figure out his game. The guys in those spots who fail are traditionally ego maniacs who think theyre perfect(Yakupov...Kravstov). Kakko to me seems like a humble guy who will be open to learning and adapting his game. Like I mentioned before, I think it takes longer for a power forward to get there, but I think he has the talent to do it if he is open to changing and adapting his game.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
People point to the Vesey injury, but idk, I think your PK just runs into a wall for a few games. So does your PP. It's natural.

That's why you can't lean on it for four rounds.

I get your point. Honestly though, I don't think you can rely on anything for four rounds. As you inferred, Panthers had to rely on their special teams outperforming the Rangers in order to win this series rather than have a huge scoring difference at ES. Same Panthers couldn't rely on their dominant 5v5 play last year against the Golden Knights.

In the end, when you get to this point the differences are fairly small, randomness (disguised as "luck") plays a bigger role than we would like to believe and you can only set yourself up so much. Still don't get me wrong. I agree in the aspects of the Rangers need to bring a better game 5v5 but I think to really move the needle they'd need better personnel which unfortunately is going to be really hard to obtain. Absence of that, yes, putting players in better positions to succeed while improving around the margins can improve chances and minimizing holes in play.

It's possible. The Oilers did it.

Ok, I know who they have, but the bottom of their lineup and defense is filled with JAG's. Plus, Draisaitl is not exactly Charlie Hustle for 200 feet.

They were willing to tweak the lineup. Draisaitl at center full-time has deepened the lineup and they finally found a line that works for him. There's been a clear mandate, unless you're one of the big boys, to shut teams down. They got rid of the same old entrenched bullshit without blowing up the roster.

Most importantly, they have ZERO bad players. Big fat donut. Even Cody Ceci has been ok as a #6. We have a handful of bad players and some of them play a ton.

I throw my hands up a lil though because this same team you are describing just went out and won a game 6 where they had ten TEN total shots on goal and by all metrics, comparatively made the Rangers game three win against the Panthers look like petty theft. They tightened up their defense in the third while up but their play in the first two periods really shouldn't have had them in that position.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I throw my hands up a lil though because this same team you are describing just went out and won a game 6 where they had ten TEN total shots on goal and by all metrics, comparatively made the Rangers game three win against the Panthers look like petty theft. They tightened up their defense in the third while up but their play in the first two periods really shouldn't have had them in that position.
Yeah but that was their only shitty game. They've been great all playoffs and all season.

Nobody is saying you can't steal one game.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
I’d rather Mika give up some defensive responsibilities if it means he goes back to scoring goals. In the Penguins series two years ago he was so focused on matching up with Crosby that he forgot how to play offense. Then when they went down 3-1 a switch flipped and he was scoring and, what do you know, the Rangers came back and won.

We can complain about 5v5, our 3rd line not scoring, Rempe wasting a spot, etc. Every year since the bubble we have lost because our stars dry up. Mika and Panarin need to be on the scoresheet.

Reactions: CLW and surlysailor

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
People point to the Vesey injury, but idk, I think your PK just runs into a wall for a few games. So does your PP. It's natural.

That's why you can't lean on it for four rounds.
After Trouba takes his 3rd penalty of the period for the 100th game in a row you start to get pissed off and then next thing you know you’ve given up 5 PP goals.

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
The ideas of gutting the team or buying guys out makes zero sense.
Winning this tournament is really hard.
We have all seen teams that had no business winning the cup and teams that were infinitely talented that never even got close.
Step away from the window.
Take DEEEEEEP cleansing breaths.
TURNOVER
It will be OK

Reactions: McRanger92

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Yeah but that was their only shitty game. They've been great all playoffs and all season.

Nobody is saying you can't steal one game.
Oh no doubt but still (and this isn't totally directed at you just in general) I feel there is a "History is written by the victors" ie narratives were always written by winning (It's a good mouthwash). We'll see how they play against the Panthers and how that shapes narratives on both teams, their star players and even if you can win with 10 mil allocated to a goalie in net (ugh).

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
One of Trouba or Lindgren has to go this summer. We need puck movement and mobility back there. I advocated for trading for and signing Hanifin at the deadline, but it seems like he wanted to go elsewhere.

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019
Why would he waive for St.Louis when he already plays for a contender? He wants to win in New York and the management wants him here. No amount of sad whining from fans on a message board will change that.
Maybe he wants out of the spotlight? Maybe he wants to play with his old pal Buch. STL suburbs are very nice, maybe he wants to move his family somewhere with a slower pace? I dont know! Just spitballing here. All I said was it wouldnt shock me if Mika signed off on a trade to STL.

Also, STL is not a bottom dweller. They are a competitive team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad