Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
Maybe he wants out of the spotlight? Maybe he wants to play with his old pal Buch. STL suburbs are very nice, maybe he wants to move his family somewhere with a slower pace? I dont know! Just spitballing here. All I said was it wouldnt shock me if Mika signed off on a trade to STL.

Also, STL is not a bottom dweller. They are a competitive team.
Wont happen.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Panarin Tro Laffy
Tkachuk Zibs Kreider
Cuylle Chytil Berard
Vesey Edstrom Rempe

KAM Fox
Zadorov Roy
Jones Schneider

Reactions: Atax

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Would Mr. and Dr. Trouba be OK with heading to the West Coast? I feel like the Kings are a team that could have interest. They've got zippo on right defense behind Doughty, and have been spinning their wheels for awhile now. Might want a shakeup in the locker room. They need to sign Byfield but maybe something around Trouba for Gavrikov?

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
We treated Trocheck like the 1C all year, and then against Florida, we hard-matched Zibanejad against Barkov.

It's time to hand Trocheck the keys. We could have a sperate discussion on whether or not we can win him in that spot, but that's neither here nor there. He's our best center today and should be in that spot. In his defense, he played Barkov basically even in the minutes they shared.

Granted, neither team actually scored a goal when Zibanejad and Barkov shared the ice, so some might argue it's all just piss in the wind. I don't agree with that. I think, in a playoff series, there's something to be said for the flow of the game, and building momentum/mounting a forecheck shift by shift.

Those shifts were spent almost entirely in our zone and really torpedoed offensive flow, even if Barkov didn't do much on the scoreboard 5v5.

(This entire post is 5v5 BTW)

It’s interesting you say this and want to run Kakko out of town. Cullye-Wennberg-Kakko was the exact opposite of this (in a good way), wasnt it?

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It’s interesting you say this and want to run Kakko out of town. Cullye-Wennberg-Kakko was the exact opposite of this (in a good way), wasnt it?
It's more than just having the puck. Part of building momentum is getting chances and generally just being a threat that you might score a goal.

I'm all for driving play but we've been waiting five years now for Kakko to score. Or any of his linemates to score.

Kakko's play-driving is also super overrated. I hate to throw the word "cope" at people but a lot of folks build him up to be Jesper Fast because he doesn't do anything. In reality, he was garbage at driving play most of this year and his career has been a mixed bag in that regard.

Guys who produced mixed results aren't play-drivers. They're just going with the current of the randomness around them.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Granted, neither team actually scored a goal when Zibanejad and Barkov shared the ice, so some might argue it's all just piss in the wind. I don't agree with that. I think, in a playoff series, there's something to be said for the flow of the game, and building momentum/mounting a forecheck shift by shift.
Absolutely ironic when you weren't having any of that with the third line (when it was still Cuylle-Wennberg-Kakko) but are giving an absolute hall pass to Kreider/Zibanejad for the same thing.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Absolutely ironic when you weren't having any of that with the third line (when it was still Cuylle-Wennberg-Kakko) but are giving an absolute hall pass to Kreider/Zibanejad for the same thing.
Who's giving anybody a hall pass? I just said in the post you quoted that the line needs to play a lot better despite the goal totals.

Kakko needs to contribute to goals, or at the very least, not tank them.

A good team needs to be able to both control the flow of the game and capitalize with goals. That's obvious.

We're comparing our sort of de facto #1 center with a 3rd line RW and people are literally like "but you said different things about them!"

They're different players with different problems.

Reactions: bhamill

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
So when does Trouba’s NMC become a limited NTC? Is it at the same time UFA starts?

If they plan to move him, you have to think that he’ll be approached ahead of time so that they can be fully involved with FA from the start right?

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I feel like we're running it back and filling in the guys who were added or contracts have run out, ie Gustafson, Roslovic, Wennberg etc. Not saying that's what I'd do but I feel that's what's gonna happen.

Reactions: majordomo

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
If there is truth to Cirelli on the block, package Chytil and Kakko for him. Probably wouldn't even need to add any picks.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
So when does Trouba’s NMC become a limited NTC? Is it at the same time UFA starts?

If they plan to move him, you have to think that he’ll be approached ahead of time so that they can be fully involved with FA from the start right?
I would venture to guess July 1.

Reactions: Siddi

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
It's more than just having the puck. Part of building momentum is getting chances and generally just being a threat that you might score a goal.

I'm all for driving play but we've been waiting five years now for Kakko to score. Or any of his linemates to score.

Kakko's play-driving is also super overrated. I hate to throw the word "cope" at people but a lot of folks build him up to be Jesper Fast because he doesn't do anything. In reality, he was garbage at driving play most of this year and his career has been a mixed bag in that regard.

Guys who produced mixed results aren't play-drivers. They're just going with the current of the randomness around them.

Everyone else who believes this should be more vocal about it. I sometimes feel like it's just me and a couple of others who must be suffering from some insane fever dream where Kakko sucks to us but does a bunch of good shit (that his supporters can never, ever specifically refer to).

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Who's giving anybody a hall pass? I just said in the post you quoted that the line needs to play a lot better despite the goal totals.

A good team needs to be able to both control the flow of the game and capitalize with goals. That's obvious.

We're comparing our sort of de facto #1 center with a 3rd line RW and people are literally like "but you said different things about them!"

Can we removed the "2OA" next to Kakko's name and view him as a solid 3rd line guy? He shouldn't get much of a raise and, at 2.whateverM/year he's perfectly serviceable there. Maybe he takes that next step, maybe he doesn't. We're not getting shit for him this summer.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Yup. It’s either or but not both. In these circumstances I accept Zibanejad line contribution in just neutralizing Barkov line at ES.

Reactions: Siddi

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Can we removed the "2OA" next to Kakko's name and view him as a solid 3rd line guy? He shouldn't get much of a raise and, at 2.whateverM/year he's perfectly serviceable there. Maybe he takes that next step, maybe he doesn't. We're not getting shit for him this summer.
I would view him as a solid 3rd line guy if I had more faith in him scoring than the popcorn guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad