Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
What do people think of:

Zibanejad + Kakko for Girard + Middlestedt

Basis of a deal?

why would we add another small dman...he literally got his chest caved in on col's cup run and has struggled since.

i like middlestadt but i think mika gets incredibly underappreciated for what he brings. he definitely knows he needs to be better next year offensively and i do think he'll come back looking like he has a point to prove. defensively though he is remarkably overlooked by fans and around the league...to win a cup he needs to be better. the team did make it to the final 4 though, that can't be lost. mittelstadt would be a phenomenal 3c, but him/troch as 1/2 is a massive downgrade.

if we're targeting players, i'd love to kick the tires on ehlers. he's exactly the kind of player this roster needs at his best, and that's an opportunity to potentially buy low on a guy that could use a change of scenery. that's the type of deal i'd consider moving kakko in, though ideally we move other pieces.

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
What did they say that made you think they wouldn't just shit the bed again in an ECF?

Mika will still be shit, Panarin will keep taking playoffs off. Kreider will play great every 4-5 games, then take the others off.

Are we really going to just waste Igor's window? The core is rotten and things need to change.
Laughable.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Don't sleep on Berard. He was playing a bit of RW in Hartford and he's like a dog on a bone in terms of his puck retrievals. I'm not sure Cuylle or Berard are top-6 options to start the season but a 3rd line of:

Cuylle-Chytil-Berard

Couild be a nuisance to play against

Curious about both Berard and Jake Leschyshyn.

Both had nice runs for Hartford in the playoffs. But if they could have helped the Rangers you would think they would have been in New York ahead of the likes of Rempe and some of the trade deadline acquisitions.

Any chance they make the team out of training camp?

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
There were 3 rookies in the final 4. We had 2 of them. The other was the most mature prospect in the A. Shoving a bunch of rookies into the mix seems counterintuitive.

(Not counting Bourque’s 1 game)

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
If I was GM this is what id be doing this offseason to build an actual contender

1) Tkachuk and Chychrun for Lindgren, Kakko, Kandre, Othmann, Perreault and 2024 1st

2) Trouba to Utah at $2mm retained for our 2025 2nd round pick back (nemeth trade)

3) Kreider to Nashville for a the lighting 2025 1st and Chicago’s 2024 4th

UFA’s (contract projections per AFP)
- Zadorov 5 X $5.3
- Max Domi 5 X $3.35 (AFP has him at 2 X $3.65 so I’d bet he’d give up less aav for term. He also gives us flexibility to play top 6 RW, center if chytil breaks again and just general snarl)
- Ruhwedel 1 X $825K

RFA’s
- Schneider 2 X $2.1
- Robertson 2 X $800K

Tkachuk-Mika-Domi
Panarin-Trocheck-Laff
Cuylle-Chytil-Vesey
Edstrom-Goodrow-Rempe
Brodz

Zadorov-Fox
Chychrun-Schneider
Jones-Ruhwedel (they looked good together this year)
Robertson

Leaves us with $2.5mm in cap space which would accrue to around $11mm by the deadline and basically allow us to acquire ANYONE and have two 2025 1st’s as well as a 2025 2nd to deal

So lets play out the deadline
Buchnevich for a 1st
Adam Larson for a 2nd

Post TDL lineup
Tkachuk-Mika-Buchnevich
Panarin-Trocheck-Laff
Cuylle-Chytil-Domi
Edstrom-Goodrow-Vesey
Rempe/Brodz

Zadorov-Fox
Chychrun-Schneider
Jones-Larson
Ruhwedel/Robertson

Igor
Quick

How does that team not win a cup?

• Haha
Reactions: bleedblue94

mti79

May 11, 2007
Fast was a lot less streaky. Kakko goes through long stretches where he's not an NHL player on offense.

He's also nowhere near the defender Fast is.
Fast has the knack to be in the right place at the right time and make the right play. The 2015 playoffs was a great example of this. I think people forget that it was his interception of a pass in the neutral zone that set up McDonagh's game 5 winner vs the Caps and he was the guy who got the puck to the wall so Yandle could set up Girardi's blast that Stepan finished.

I wish we still had him to play in our bottom 6. Guy never looked out of place no matter where you put him in the lineup.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Curious about both Berard and Jake Leschyshyn.

Both had nice runs for Hartford in the playoffs. But if they could have helped the Rangers you would think they would have been in New York ahead of the likes of Rempe and some of the trade deadline acquisitions.

Any chance they make the team out of training camp?
Don't be too curious, he is...less than useful...

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
If it’s really true that the Ducks wanted Kakko at the deadline, would they consider Kakko, Trouba + another piece for Zegras?

I know it seems silly, but Lebrun said Verbeek wants another winger and a veteran top 4 defenseman. He is also listening on Zegras. It seems like Zegras isn’t long for Anaheim. The Ducks also have loads of cap space.

Play Zegras at third line center and make the Mika/Kreider line our checking line since they don’t score at 5v5.

Reactions: Synergy27

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
After hearing the players, I think shaking up the core coming off a Pres trophy and 2 ECFs in 3 years, is an overly emotional decision. Trouba is the exception, I’d actively be looking to move him.

Now, if you’re not going to change up the core, you need to change up the scenery. Kakko and Lindgren are RFAs the Rangers don’t want to overpay on. 2 extremely clear spots to consolidate assets and upgrade, ideally with guys who fit the Laffy/Fox/Trocheck timeline. I really don’t think this offseason is rocket science. We are going to be right there again next season.

Oh and Igor is getting paid. Swallow the bitter pill and be happy knowing we have an all world goalie. Learn from the sins of the Hank era, Drury, don’t screw up the rest of the roster because feelings got in the way.

This. The group we have deserves another kick at the can. Last year was f***ing stupid with Kane forcing his way here and messing up the mojo on the PP and in the room, plus he was pre-hip surgery Kane and was playing maybe at 75%.

I'd be looking to add to this group with the number one requirement being anyone with a pulse that can produce or at the very least retrieve pucks for Mika and Kreider. It probably should be a big body, physical down low type of player to do some grunt work on that line. Kreiders legs are cooked which is completely understandable with all the playoff miles he has on him. Mika has effectively no excuse other than being a bit of a bitch but I think we see a bounce back year from him. He's not been playing anywhere near what he's capable of.

A lot of people forget how absolutely bonkers he was before COVID hit and even in the 22' run. He was easily a top 10 forward in the NHL when he popped off. That guy still exists but he needs to get back in the gym and work on his speed, he's very obviously taken a step back in that regard

Reactions: Siddi

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
So we found out who was hurt and who wasn't. So Mika wasn't hurt and neither was Panarin. So they're both wussies that would rather shy away from contact and twirl on their skates, than do what it takes to win. They aren't winning with that type of attitude on the ice. Mika and Panarin avoided contact in the playoffs like they owned it money. Soft players and soft mentality never wins in the playoffs

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
After hearing the players, I think shaking up the core coming off a Pres trophy and 2 ECFs in 3 years, is an overly emotional decision. Trouba is the exception, I’d actively be looking to move him.

Now, if you’re not going to change up the core, you need to change up the scenery. Kakko and Lindgren are RFAs the Rangers don’t want to overpay on. 2 extremely clear spots to consolidate assets and upgrade, ideally with guys who fit the Laffy/Fox/Trocheck timeline. I really don’t think this offseason is rocket science. We are going to be right there again next season.

Oh and Igor is getting paid. Swallow the bitter pill and be happy knowing we have an all world goalie. Learn from the sins of the Hank era, Drury, don’t screw up the rest of the roster because feelings got in the way.
I mean, that’s exactly how you screw up the rest of the roster. Like literally.

Who are you comfortable saying goodbye to if we sign Shesterkin to a $12M contract?

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
If I was GM this is what id be doing this offseason to build an actual contender

1) Tkachuk and Chychrun for Lindgren, Kakko, Kandre, Othmann, Perreault and 2024 1st

2) Trouba to Utah at $2mm retained for our 2025 2nd round pick back (nemeth trade)

3) Kreider to Nashville for a the lighting 2025 1st and Chicago’s 2024 4th

UFA’s (contract projections per AFP)
- Zadorov 5 X $5.3
- Max Domi 5 X $3.35 (AFP has him at 2 X $3.65 so I’d bet he’d give up less aav for term. He also gives us flexibility to play top 6 RW, center if chytil breaks again and just general snarl)
- Ruhwedel 1 X $825K

RFA’s
- Schneider 2 X $2.1
- Robertson 2 X $800K

Tkachuk-Mika-Domi
Panarin-Trocheck-Laff
Cuylle-Chytil-Vesey
Edstrom-Goodrow-Rempe
Brodz

Zadorov-Fox
Chychrun-Schneider
Jones-Ruhwedel (they looked good together this year)
Robertson

Leaves us with $2.5mm in cap space which would accrue to around $11mm by the deadline and basically allow us to acquire ANYONE and have two 2025 1st’s as well as a 2025 2nd to deal

So lets play out the deadline
Buchnevich for a 1st
Adam Larson for a 2nd

Post TDL lineup
Tkachuk-Mika-Buchnevich
Panarin-Trocheck-Laff
Cuylle-Chytil-Domi
Edstrom-Goodrow-Vesey
Rempe/Brodz

Zadorov-Fox
Chychrun-Schneider
Jones-Larson
Ruhwedel/Robertson

Igor
Quick

How does that team not win a cup?

These Tkachuk proposals get crazier every day.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I mean, that’s exactly how you screw up the rest of the roster. Like literally.

Who are you comfortable saying goodbye to if we sign Shesterkin to a $12M contract?

If Igor wants to be here, he'll be here. If he wont budge on 12+ mil, Drury has literally no choice but to trade him. But the Rangers arent going out there dangling him for assets, Im sure the interest in an extension is extremely real from the Rangers' end.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Cuylle hit the rookie wall 3/4s of the way through the season. 82 games plus playoffs is usually twice as much hockey as these guys have ever played before. Just want to make sure everyone’s expectations next year for Berard and Othmann are within reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad