Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

Rangers need bulk up and get to the paint.

Trouba and his wife. He has a 15 team no trade clause.

Probably. But Gorton signed and traded for him, and he only has 2 years left. Maybe there could be some convincing, if Drury is straight with him and says we have to move you.

I think there are definitely teams out there who would have interest in him. I think he has value to a non-playoff team looking to "get tougher" and a leader who has come from a winning culture and all that stuff. Also, it wouldnt be my first choice, but a buyout is probably on the table. We bought out Brad Richards after going to the Cup Final despite him being the de facto Captain of that team and they really didnt miss a beat the next year. 4 mil in cap savings almost entirely covers Chychrun's contract for next year. Just sayin.

Cuylle hit the rookie wall 3/4s of the way through the season. 82 games plus playoffs is usually twice as much hockey as these guys have ever played before. Just want to make sure everyone’s expectations next year for Berard and Othmann are within reason.

Berard and Othmann need more time. A team with Cup aspirations isn't penciling in multiple rookies next year. I suspect Edstrom and Rempe will battle for the final forward spot out of camp.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Fil doesn't have much trade value. I saw Jim Cerny's podcast with Emily Kaplan. She said other teams have the same concerns the Rangers have concerning Chytil's concussion issues. The Rangers have no choice but to play Chytil and hope his concussion issues are behind him.

If he's going to be here he needs to play in the top 6 like he started last year and Trocheck or Mika needs to be centering the 3rd line at even strength.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.

Rangers need bulk up and get to the paint.

Brooks expects a major move.

Trouba and his wife. He has a 15 team no trade clause.

Man this is going to be an interesting post season. I don’t think we need to bulk up. It’s not about bulk, it’s about mindset.

We need to bulk down by replacing Trouba with someone with more mobility.

Now, if we’re talking about moving Panarin, somehow finding our own Huberdeau for Tkachuk trade, then yeah, maybe add some bulk that way.

But high level, getting to the paint ain’t about bulk, it’s about willingness.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Man this is going to be an interesting post season. I don’t think we need to bulk up. It’s not about bulk, it’s about mindset.

We need to bulk down by replacing Trouba with someone with more mobility.

Now, if we’re talking about moving Panarin, somehow finding our own Huberdeau for Tkachuk trade, then yeah, maybe add some bulk that way.

But high level, getting to the paint ain’t about bulk, it’s about willingness.

We definitely need more size and experience at forward. Wennberg and Roslovic were nice players but they arent guys who thrive in the dirty areas. This isnt really a strong suit of Kakko and Chytil either. And that was 2/3s of our bottom 6 in the playoffs. It was fine against Washington and Carolina but we got exposed against Florida.

Reactions: Synergy27

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I like the way Boyle thinks. Vegas is facing a cap crunch and some of their big D could be available. He would also trade Lindgren because he has value. A lot of value. You could get something tangible back.

He also suggested trading Kakko for a signed player.

Would be all over Shea Theodore if they have to move him, Id deal more for him than Chychrun. I also don't mind Nic Hague or Brayden McNabb, better version's of Lindgren with lots of size.. Vegas has no cap space and has Marchessault and Martinez to re-sign.

nyrob13

Jun 21, 2015
I think the last few posts are the best path to improving for next year, and most realistic (moving Trouba, Lindgren, Kakko)

Goodrow for pick or bottom pair RD
Trouba, Kakko, prospect for Crouse
Lindgren, Chytil, 2024 1st for Theodore and Roy

Othmann Mika Crouse
Panarin Trocheck Laf
Cuylle Colton Perron
Vesey Roy Rempe/Edstrom

Theodore - Fox
Miller - Schneider
Jones - RD

Igor
Quick

Would fit next year, but admittedly not sure what kind of shape it leaves us in for 2025 when Igor and Laf are due 😅

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think the last few posts are the best path to improving for next year, and most realistic (moving Trouba, Lindgren, Kakko)

Trouba for pick or bottom pair RD
Kakko and Sykora/Berard for Crouse

Othmann Mika Crouse
Panarin Trocheck Laf
Cuylle Colton Perron
Vesey Roy Rempe/Edstrom

Theodore - Fox
Miller - Schneider
Jones - RD

Igor
Quick

Would fit next year, but admittedly not sure what kind of shape it leaves us in for 2025 when Igor and Laf are due 😅
Crouse sucks. Hitting for the sake of hitting and mediocre in every zone.

I love the rest.

Reactions: nyrob13

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Yeah if you’re getting one of the big D from Vegas, it’s gotta be Theodore.

Hauge isn’t top 4 quality and McNabb is alright but he’s not someone I’d pair with Fox.

Trouba, Kakko, prospect for Crouse

Othmann Mika Crouse
Panarin Trocheck Laf
Cuylle Colton Perron
Vesey Roy Rempe/Edstrom

Theodore - Fox
Miller - Schneider
Jones - RD

Igor
Quick

How did we get Colton and where did Kreider go?

nyrob13

Jun 21, 2015
Crouse sucks. Hitting for the sake of hitting and mediocre in every zone.

I love the rest.
Haha I won't lie .. when the Florida series ended, I immediately went looking for guys that hit everything. Like Kakko, I'm sure he hasn't developed the way his team hoped, but still young-ish, and 3 straight 20 goal seasons.

Also you forgot Kreider LMAO
Healthy scratch

nyrob13

Jun 21, 2015
Yeah if you’re getting one of the big D from Vegas, it’s gotta be Theodore.

Hauge isn’t top 4 quality and McNabb is alright but he’s not someone I’d pair with Fox.

How did we get Colton and where did Kreider go?
Originally had Kakko+ for Colton, then changed it to Kakko for Crouse. Forget Colton.

Kreider Roy Perron 3rd line, Cuylle Rempe Vesey/Edstrom 4th line

I really wanna see what Berard and Sykora can do. If we traded a prospect for an upgrade, I would probably trade Othmann. I could be wrong but I'm just not that excited about him.
I'm pretty excited about all of them. I don't think you're alone there, but Othmann was Drury's first pick as GM. Just feel like he isn't going to move him for that reason alone. Could be very wrong though.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
replacing Lindgren/Trouba with Theodore/Matt Roy would go a very long way. problem is i'm not sure what theodore would cost in a trade or what lindgren+trouba would get back. does trouba have positive value?

let's say you're able to deal lindgren trouba and acquire theodore for purely draft capital, netting a 2nd between all 3 deals.

signing matt roy for 2RD, a top 9 F like bertuzzi or stephenson, and a good depth guy (a blueger type, maybe pacioretty on a 1 year vet min deal if his legs are back), you could move Goodrow. see if Ruhwedel would stick around cheaply.

Kreider Zibanejad Bertuzzi
Panarin Trocheck Lafreniere
Cuylle Chytil Berard/Othmann
Pacioretty Edstrom Kakko
Vesey, Rempe

Theodore Fox
Miller Roy
Jones Schneider
Ruhwedel

Reactions: nyrob13

nyrob13

Jun 21, 2015
replacing Lindgren/Trouba with Theodore/Matt Roy would go a very long way. problem is i'm not sure what theodore would cost in a trade or what lindgren+trouba would get back. does trouba have positive value?

let's say you're able to deal lindgren trouba and acquire theodore for purely draft capital, netting a 2nd between all 3 deals.

signing matt roy for 2RD, a top 9 F like bertuzzi or stephenson, and a good depth guy (a blueger type, maybe pacioretty on a 1 year vet min deal if his legs are back), you could move Goodrow. see if Ruhwedel would stick around cheaply.

Kreider Zibanejad Bertuzzi
Panarin Trocheck Lafreniere
Cuylle Chytil Berard/Othmann
Pacioretty Edstrom Kakko
Vesey, Rempe

Theodore Fox
Miller Roy
Jones Schneider
Ruhwedel
Love this. Think everyone is in agreement we need a pest on Mika's wing, a bit more scoring in the bottom 6, and at MINIMUM, 2 new defenseman. Hope Chris is reading the thread.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The last time we were good, we added grit by injecting our own young players into the top 9 - Kreider, Hagelin, Fast.

It's time to roll with Berard and Edstrom and see what they can do. For God sake, get a cheaper 4C. Blake Lizotte is a free agent. He's a very good penalty killer and he's from LA so he loves to grind. He has a bit of skill.

Kreider-Trocheck-Lafreniere
Panarin-Zibanejad-Berard
Edstrom-Chytil-Perron
Cuylle-Lizotte-Rempe

Theodore-Fox
Miller-Roy
Jones-Schneider

LannyMcdonald

Feb 4, 2011
Toronto
I think there are some mental hurdles for him to overcome to get to that next level. Usually when I look at these guys - if you're a #1 or #2 pick, in most years you have a ton of talent. I think Kakko does. The biggest piece of the puzzle is determining if the player has the humility to overcome whats in front of him. I always maintained that Laffy was a humble guy and would take direction and figure out his game. The guys in those spots who fail are traditionally ego maniacs who think theyre perfect(Yakupov...Kravstov). Kakko to me seems like a humble guy who will be open to learning and adapting his game. Like I mentioned before, I think it takes longer for a power forward to get there, but I think he has the talent to do it if he is open to changing and adapting his game.
He needs the kind of beast off-season that Panarin put in last summer. And then he needs to learn to play in front of the net.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
The last time we were good, we added grit by injecting our own young players into the top 9 - Kreider, Hagelin, Fast.

It's time to roll with Berard and Edstrom and see what they can do. For God sake, get a cheaper 4C. Blake Lizotte is a free agent. He's a very good penalty killer and he's from LA so he loves to grind. He has a bit of skill.

Panarin-Zibanejad-Berard
Edstrom-Chytil-Perron
Cuylle-Lizotte-Rempe

Theodore-Fox
Miller-Roy
Jones-Schneider
I would love to sign Perron mostly because I watched him play for the Lewiston MAINEiacs back in the day.

• Haha
Reactions: Machinehead

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010

Panarin-Zibanejad-Berard
Edstrom-Chytil-Perron
Cuylle-Lizotte-Rempe

Theodore-Fox
Miller-Roy
Jones-Schneider
edstrom should absolutely be given every chance to make the team next year. i thought he did well in his limited time, def looked more polished than rempe

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

Panarin-Zibanejad-Berard
Edstrom-Chytil-Perron
Cuylle-Lizotte-Rempe

Theodore-Fox
Miller-Roy
Jones-Schneider

I like this. It's so painfully obvious Trouba needs to go in some way shape or form. Lindgren too to a lesser extent, but I can live with giving him an extension if he takes a hometown discount and plays in the bottom 4. Berard, I'm not sure they are going to be over the moon to start him in a top 6 spot out of camp, but there's always a chance he impresses like Cuylle did. They prob shouldve given him a cup of coffee down the stretch but they were battling for the top spot so I get it.

Perron interests me. I think they need a veteran who wont back down who has some offensive skill in the bottom 6. The past few years things have gotten disjointed because they dont have that type of guy. it was supposed to be Kakko, but he can't do that either. I wonder if the Rangers make a call on Marchessault if he doesnt extend. He's older but he's a playoff performer showing no signs of slowing down. Id love him with on any of the top 2 lines.

Idk much about Lizotte, but I could see them adding a physical grinder like that. Size isnt the end all be all, but i like Trenin as an option for that role too.

Reactions: Machinehead

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
if we're gonna keep chytil we need to go into the offseason acting as if him getting injured is inevitable and plan our roster accordingly

bc the chances he gets injured again are far greater than him not getting injured

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I like this. It's so painfully obvious Trouba needs to go in some way shape or form. Lindgren too to a lesser extent, but I can live with giving him an extension if he takes a hometown discount and plays in the bottom 4. Berard, I'm not sure they are going to be over the moon to start him in a top 6 spot out of camp, but there's always a chance he impresses like Cuylle did. They prob shouldve given him a cup of coffee down the stretch but they were battling for the top spot so I get it.

Perron interests me. I think they need a veteran who wont back down who has some offensive skill in the bottom 6. The past few years things have gotten disjointed because they dont have that type of guy. it was supposed to be Kakko, but he can't do that either. I wonder if the Rangers make a call on Marchessault if he doesnt extend. He's older but he's a playoff performer showing no signs of slowing down. Id love him with on any of the top 2 lines.

Idk much about Lizotte, but I could see them adding a physical grinder like that. Size isnt the end all be all, but i like Trenin as an option for that role too.
Yeah, you're probably right. I don't like to line number and I don't buy into the whole "reward" thing. I put you in the role I think you can help in. But I get that the team probably does look at it that way.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
if we're gonna keep chytil we need to go into the offseason acting as if him getting injured is inevitable and plan our roster accordingly

bc the chances he gets injured again are far greater than him not getting injured

Just means theyll live with Jonny B Good at 3C until the deadline and use the Chytil LTIR space to add a guy who can play 3C.

Yeah, you're probably right. I don't like to line number and I don't buy into the whole "reward" thing. I put you in the role I think you can help in. But I get that the team probably does look at it that way.

He's definitely closer than Othmann, but not as close as Edstrom imo. Hagelin got the callup on Thanksgiving of 2011. That's my prediction on when he will make his debut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad