Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Then what's even the point
Shifting goal posts. Organizational decisions are not always about what's best for the team. There is a lot of marketing and other or things that come into play. Getting to the conference finals is a disappointment to most of us fans bc we could see the issues with the team, but to an owner he will view it as on the right track again. It's a perception thing and Dolan wants his or a certain way. Even if I agree that trading trouba makes sense from the standpoint of team structure, I'm not going to ignore the realities of ownership.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Shifting goal posts. Organizational decisions are not always about what's best for the team. There is a lot of marketing and other or things that come into play. Getting to the conference finals is a disappointment to most of us fans bc we could see the issues with the team, but to an owner he will view it as on the right track again. It's a perception thing and Dolan wants his or a certain way. Even if I agree that trading trouba makes sense from the standpoint of team structure, I'm not going to ignore the realities of ownership.
They should be.

And also, I really don't think Dolan cares about the optics of moving Jacob Trouba. I don't think Dolan could spell "Trouba."

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019
Mika has an NMC. They're going to have to work around in the next few years.

They need a young 3C who can take over for Mika in 2-3 years. Trochek will be in his position with Panarin and Laf. Chytil, who knows if he can play center anymore.
Players waive NMC all the time. Mika still has value. I wouldnt be surprised if he was OK going to St. Louis. Not sure what we’d get in return though

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
He's lazier than you think he is. He takes his football and goes home for long stretches and is one of the worst defensive players in the NHL. This is not Mark Stone willing the Celts against the English.

I do see the overall issue you're describing, and I think it's simple: we just don't have any dominant players.

We hitched our wagon to guys that all have a niche. Zibanejad has a way to score points, but he's just not that good, and he has to kind of cheat/do specific things to keep scoring points. He can't just carry play the way better players do. Kreider, whose game I love, also has a niche. He's not a dominant skill player or conventional elite winger. He gets his points doing what he's good at and he has holes.

Panarin is a dominant player, but I just think he's too small for the playoffs. He can't operate in tight spaces.

Brady is also a niche player. He's good at things but he has holes all over his game.

If you really wanted to change the culture, you have to get a legit top-of-the-league 1C who can do everything.

We can't just do that, so I think the best thing we can do is improve the defense and accentuate the defenseman we have who is that player.

I mean yes, but I also feel like undersells just how ineffective he has been.

I posted the numbers in his personal thread but he may be the biggest playoff under performer of all time when comparing his regular season production to what he does in the playoffs. Dude makes Joe Thornton look like McDavid.

Now you aren't doing this but plenty of people want to point fingers at other guys and say that it isn't his fault and other people need to pick up the slack when he gets keyed on bc hes a ninja who can't be deceptive vs bigger bodies or some other stupid shit. He hasn't been a top 3 skater for this team in any of his runs (hell, I might put him at 6 for this last run and it was by far his best of the 3 and no higher than 5, mostly because Zibanejad's last series really pissed me off) while hes being paid like someone you'd expect to carry the load.

His regular season contributions can't be ignored, he certainly helped Lafreniere take a major step forward (contributed f*** all towards Laf's playoff performance but I choose to look at that as a good thing) but the only way forward with him here is to make it so that all he needs to be is the 3rd or 4th best guy on the team. We don't have the bodies to support that and his contract gets in the way of adding that/those guy(s).

As far as changing the culture? Trading your captain would spark a pretty big culture shift. No bigger "wake up mother f***ers" coming off of a CF run than that.

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019
it sucks for many reasons that so many of top10 picks busted but one of them is because this is where you package them together for a guy like Tkachuk

I still say we should just ignore the cap and dare the league to ban their biggest draw in the US.
the NHL is a joke of a league. The cap ceiling should be much higher

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019
Thats an insane number for Igor. He’s already 28. Anything north of 10 handcuffs this team for years. He quite simply can’t maintain this type of play for more than 3-4 years
This is what conflicts me. We had an elite goalie mask our issues for years which were subsequently exposed when it mattered most. Now its happening again. I really think Id rather an above average goalie and use that cap to fill out the roster.

Igor is incredible. I love him. But he is not going to singlehandedly steal you a cup and mask issues for four rounds. A round or two at most. But never the full thing. So whats the point? Why handcuff yourself to a $12m cap hit?

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
The worst thing Drury can do is run it back .

There needs to be a BIG shakeup.

The leadership group ain’t it.

Kreider and Zibanejad are too soft, and much like Bobby Ryan can’t even spell “intense”.

Trouba isn’t soft but he’s a brainless crap player.

You won’t win with these 3 leading the charge.
You need to consult Cap Friendly and tell us how to accomplish a big shakeup.

Players waive NMC all the time. Mika still has value. I wouldnt be surprised if he was OK going to St. Louis. Not sure what we’d get in return though
You need to check how his salary is parsed. 80-90% bonus.

Untradeable, unless someone has a comparable contract to match.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
We've got to pay Laf, Miller and Shesty next summer. We need to save cap space for that.

One thing we have plenty of in the system in wingers. We shouldn't be committing significant term and cap space to adding a UFA winger. That's the whole point of having a farm system, so we can inject cheap players into the lineup instead of signing expensive free agents.

I’d argue that if the opportunity presents itself to add a player at good value who can help the team win, you do so.

I’m also less certain that Panarin will be around through the entire length of his deal.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
whenever he has been paired with others he has been noticeably worse how he plays helps make fox better/more
That’s the opposite of true, people have posted on here all year about Fox’s insane splits with/without Lindgren and how much better he is with anybody else
If someone can name a legit upgrade to lindgren that is obtainable I will hear it,
Me

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hey Folks,

Just a heads up, going to be locking up the PGT likely tomorrow, time to move on and focus on the off-season and next season. That thread needs to sink to the abyss of the Rangers forum. Would recommend to use this thread moving forward.

Also, after a few requests, will post up a GDT for break up day tomorrow, which is scheduled for 11:30am ET.

Thanks

Leo

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
This is what conflicts me. We had an elite goalie mask our issues for years which were subsequently exposed when it mattered most. Now its happening again. I really think Id rather an above average goalie and use that cap to fill out the roster.

Igor is incredible. I love him. But he is not going to singlehandedly steal you a cup and mask issues for four rounds. A round or two at most. But never the full thing. So whats the point? Why handcuff yourself to a $12m cap hit?

I dont think anyone is going to pay 12m for him honestly.

I don't think this team will either. I'd prepare for 10 which I also wouldn't do.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Go to the 1:18:00

Merle claims Rangers players had their girlfriends on the trip.
Stayin at the Ritz Carlton Ranger players were on the beach with their girlfriends playing football on their day off.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Thats an insane number for Igor. He’s already 28. Anything north of 10 handcuffs this team for years. He quite simply can’t maintain this type of play for more than 3-4 years
Igor is one of my favorite players but you're right on. Giving him the Sorokin contract would be the absolute max. I know many feel that is unfair but it is what it is. We did it with Hank giving him a huge contract. It won't work.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Go to the 1:18:00

Merle claims Rangers players had their girlfriends on the trip.
Stayin at the Ritz Carlton Ranger players were on the beach with their girlfriends playing football on their day off.
Disgusting if true. Obviously would be nice to know which players were doing that but that is unreal. You wouldn't even wanna do that in the regular season but ECF?

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
I dont think anyone is going to pay 12m for him honestly.

I don't think this team will either. I'd prepare for 10 which I also wouldn't do.
They can still pay Igor market value and build a great team. The problem right now isn’t the cap. It’s that the management/coaches cannot identify who is good if their life depends on it. They’re an era behind the teams that win and until that changes they will never win the cup again

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Not fond of paying a goalie $10M. Go find a Kuemper/Hill type and spend the rest of the money elsewhere. that way you have more cap space to build a roster of skaters strong enough so that your less-than-Igor goalie can have bad nights and still win because his teammates pick him up instead of the other way around. Just stop the expected goals.

Reactions: FireGerardGallant

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
so you advocate spending $10m on ONE position? AGAIN?

you've been watching this team for quite a while now.. how did that work out with Lundqvist who was more elite that Igor?

This will be the stupidest move this organization can make, and i'm quite sure the Jack@$$ owner will do it... along with signing Lindgren for 5.5m.

they will win nothing. and deservingly so. all this org. wants to do is catch lighting in a bottle.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
why is that disgusting? what else are they supposed to do on their day off? "relaxing on the beach" sounds like a pretty good way to rest between games idk.
Maybe get treatment? Video? Just my opinion. IDK man having your girlfriends/wives with you day before elimination game hanging on the beach?

Reactions: Ail and Chytilmania
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad