Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Since they have to wait for July first for Trouba I’d be a little surprised if Lindgren is dealt at the draft.

A 2nd and 3rd would be an appropriate return for him which would work in a lot of ways but as other posters have noted I’d be surprised if they plan to move both he and Trouba in the same offseason.

If they did that’s pretty gutsy. I can’t imagine a 5x5 for Lindgren being something we are happy about in retrospect. Maybe a one year bridge to UFA if they don’t care about retaining value for him

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Why would it be such a big shakeup that it would be prohibitive? Yeah, bringing in a capable 1LD appropriate for the role is significant but replacing Trouba should be views as a 3rd pair move that happens all the time. This move is less about position improvement, but rather is about efficiency in using $8m cap to fill it - not dissimilar to why Goodrow was moved (who outside of his $3.6m cap hit was a perfectly acceptable 4th liner and PKer).
I’m just saying it seems less likely to me that they want to get rid of both of those players, I don’t have a perfect explanation for it.

IMO the big question is what are the rangers doing with the cap space they’re clearing this year, if they do trade Trouba and don’t have to retain a ton. You know they’re not gonna run with a ton of cap space if they can avoid it…Drury is after something IMO but I don’t know if it’s as simple as a UFAs

Rangers don’t really have to wait until July 1 if Trouba agrees to waive his trade protection before then as well

It just gives them more targets that he can’t veto if they wait until then

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Obviously random Reddit speculation, but I’ll piss my pants if this is how things go down (thread is discussing the Walman trade):

1719501787245.png

Reactions: Bacon Artemi Bravo

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
This is why it helps to be proactive. Kreider has 3 years left. He can be traded before his contract is up to get us younger assets. Panarin can be traded. Mika is a harder trade, but not impossible if he's willing to waive.

I'm not suggesting we trade all of these players any time soon, but they can all be used as assets to help extend our window to compete. Panarin and/or Kreider could also be re-signed for cheaper if they are still playing well.

Some years we may need to take a small step back in order to take two steps forward. We have to be willing to do that if we want to be competitive year over year. I'd much rather do that than go all in every year until it blows up and we have to rebuild.
Moving Kreider and Panarin are possibility but given their contribution I see these as highly unlikely. Compare to where Trouba (and Goodrow) is in terms of roster building - essentially 3RD - the former two are unchallenged top-line and top-6 forwards that are not realistically be pushed out of these roles during their contracts.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Obviously random Reddit speculation, but I’ll piss my pants if this is how things go down (thread is discussing the Walman trade):

View attachment 888023
Didn’t I throw that around here as well? Could have been on the Mains thread as Well.

But there was an article out today by Sean Shapiro, and based on his knowledge and asking around the league, this was just Yzerman being lazy and stupid.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I’m just saying it seems less likely to me that they want to get rid of both of those players, I don’t have a perfect explanation for it.

IMO the big question is what are the rangers doing with the cap space they’re clearing this year, if they do trade Trouba and don’t have to retain a ton. You know they’re not gonna run with a ton of cap space if they can avoid it…Drury is after something IMO but I don’t know if it’s as simple as a UFAs

Rangers don’t really have to wait until July 1 if Trouba agrees to waive his trade protection before then as well

I look at it as budget of $13m for these two defensive spots that need to be reallocated. IMO Fox’s partner (Lindgren’s replacement) should hopefully be a long term solution and as higher priority in terms of needs and structure would get a bulk of that budget. 3RD don’t typically get long deals so probably something to will be in 1-3 years range. We also don’t know how much retention will be required and if Drury will look to withhold some of this $13m for other roster needs including eventual resigning of Lafreniere, Shesterkin and Miller.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Yeah honestly if there is something in place with a team that would be on his "yes" list, there is nothing that stands in the way of something getting done before July 1.

I saw Trouba for Chiarot straight up floated around and it made sense as they have equal term left on their deals, but it's only something I'd consider if Lindgren were on the move as well. I do not want a left side of Chiarot and Lindgren.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Moving Kreider and Panarin are possibility but given their contribution I see these as highly unlikely. Compare to where Trouba (and Goodrow) is in terms of roster building - essentially 3RD - the former two are unchallenged top-line and top-6 forwards that are not realistically be pushed out of these roles during their contracts.
You can't always trade bad contracts, and even when you can, you aren't getting good contracts in return. That isn't going to help us keep the window open indefinitely.

We traded Gaborik for Brassard+. We traded Brassard for Mika+. We don't have to completely destroy the other team in the trade, but those are the types of deals I'm talking about. We trade older players with value for younger players with value. Or we trade older players for futures and use those futures to trade for younger players.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008

There are likely too many holes to fill this summer given the cap space.

Based on how Drury has operated in the past, he's already made a checklist of expiring UFAs at the end of next season to target as a rental. There are some very big, intriguing names and some very useful players as well. If I were Chris Drury, I would use the summers for:

1. Top of the lineup holes.
2. Identity.

Just as an example, at the deadline next year, both Adam Larsson and Yanne Gourde will be expiring UFAs. So, constructing the roster for 2024-25 is gonna be a multi-step process. We would be wise to leave some spots available for youngsters to crack bottom 6. But at the same time, we also need to make sure we have come out of the summer with enough players to establish the desired identity. Identity can't be traded for at the deadline.

Reactions: ArPanet

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
Yeah honestly if there is something in place with a team that would be on his "yes" list, there is nothing that stands in the way of something getting done before July 1.

I saw Trouba for Chiarot straight up floated around and it made sense as they have equal term left on their deals, but it's only something I'd consider if Lindgren were on the move as well. I do not want a left side of Chiarot and Lindgren.
While I don't love it, I'd at least be okay with this provided we replace Trouba by signing Walker or Pesce. That would still be a massive upgrade.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

If Lindgren isn't signed for like 7 years and $5 mill per and surgically grafted to Fox's hip then I'm kinda "eh" on it

Like I said, I'd like to see the Rangers get a real top 4 LD to either play with Fox or move Miller up there to play with Fox and slide Lindgren down. Maybe he has some bounce back, maybe he'll just be a passable 3rd pairing guy and PKer with the right partner

If it's always gonna be him out there with Fox then....I just hope he magically bounces back and that's what Im' worried about the most.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
While I don't love it, I'd at least be okay with this provided we replace Trouba by signing Walker or Pesce. That would still be a massive upgrade.

Pesce is about to be overpaid by NJ. Like super overpaid.

I'm in on Walker though. Massive glow up last year and his game is what we need. Wish he was left handed but as you said if Trouba goes theres a spot for him.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
In theory, Yzerman, Grier and Drury could be slow playing a 3-way deal...

To NY:
DET 1st + Holl

to SJ:
Goodrow + Walman + 2nd

To DET:
Trouba

Detroit moves out $6.8m in (2) d-men but adds Trouba. 2 years left on all deals.
SJ adds a decent depth d-man and a decent bottom-6 veteran in Goodrow along with a 2nd rounder
NY adds a 1st but takes on the cap dump of Holl

Obviously this is rough around the edges and values may be off slightly but could this be the deal?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
In theory, Yzerman, Grier and Drury could be slow playing a 3-way deal...

To NY:
DET 1st + Holl

to SJ:
Goodrow + Walman + 2nd

To DET:
Trouba

Detroit moves out $6.8m in (2) d-men but adds Trouba. 2 years left on all deals.
SJ adds a decent depth d-man and a decent bottom-6 veteran in Goodrow along with a 2nd rounder
NY adds a 1st but takes on the cap dump of Holl

Obviously this is rough around the edges and values may be off slightly but could this be the deal?

If we get a 1st for Trouba and Goodrow it will be on the level of the McDonagh trade.

Not the impact long term most likely but that would be.... Something.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
Can stuff start happening already? Or do we have to wait until July 1
Really depends...

Trouba may not have to deliver the 15 team no trade list until July 1st.

If the Rangers don't know who is on his list, negotiations may be in vain. If they do agree on a deal, they either have to wait for Trouba to submit his list to see if the team is on it, or they need to ask Trouba to waive to that team early. Giving Trouba insight into which team they are dealing before he submits could result in him submitting a list that excludes that team.

Basically the question is, does Trouba want to stop this trade? If he does, we wait until July 1st.

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
wouldn’t NYR be asking Trouba for his 15 teams regardless? Since his contract status is changing?
I think Staple was intentionally vague there, as reporters do.

He does have to submit it, but not until July 1. He phrased it in a way that implies he was asked to submit it early, but also in a way that is matter of fact and does not make him culpable for reporting that the Rangers are trying to move Trouba.

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
wouldn’t NYR be asking Trouba for his 15 teams regardless? Since his contract status is changing?
I believe any player, in this circumstance, would submit their 15 teams. This is only different because it's a big of a game of chess with the situation at hand.

If he had a great playoffs and we won the Cup, he still would be doing this before July 1st.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad