Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
This thread is wild. This team for all its faults is very good and really needs fine tuning more than anything else. And everyone in here is setting their expectations at like 40% roster turnover. That's not going to happen, nor should it happen. This is why everyone is always so mad at the GM and disappointed with the team, the expectations for what should happen are always so unrealistic.

Getting rid of Goodrow with for literally nothing with zero cap commitment is an A+ move and should be appreciated as such. When the deal was signed people knew it was a crazy overpay and the idea was floated he would be bought out or traded by year 4 so it was only temporary and that's exactly what happened. Good move.

If Fox were healthy, that alone, we're probably still playing - for all our faults. This team is right there. Hell, if Mika doesn't make the worst decision of his career in the first minute in OT of game 4 and we find a way to win that game I still think we win the Cup.

You don't trade half the team just because you're mad. We need a RW for the top 6 that can bring some tenacity and scoring touch. Arvidson is a target for me, he's a great complimentary player who can score and despite his size he's a tenacious player, has a history with Laviolette. His injury history is a concern but could maybe lead to getting him cheap. Just an idea. You see what you have in the recently drafted guys who all bring elements we lack in Othmann, Sykora, Berard. One of them will stick in the bottom 6 this season and each of those guys bring elements we lack, Sykora is a tenacious forechecker, Berard has skill and speed and Othmann is a prick with scoring touch.

Either way, this team was literally the President's Trophy winner this season. There are changes that need to be made, but not wholesale complete roster reconstruction. Upgrade your top 6 RW, ideally a stopgap until Perrault has a chance to make the team. This team is a contender and this board has folks acting like it's still 2021 with some of the things I'm reading here. If I see the word rebuild, whether proposing it for 2 seasons from now or reflecting negatively on the past, one more time lol.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I fear it'll be status quo. Getting rid of Goodrow? cool. What does that do?

Will Laffy replace Mika on PP1? doubt.
Will Mika train this offseason? doubt.
Will Drury move Trouba? doubt.
Will Drury move Lindgren? doubt.

more of the same. Hoping for a different result. Hopefully I'm wrong

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
You asked if he trended up the past season. I told you why he didn’t. He had trended up the previous seasons and at 23 is too young to give up on.
I’m not talking about putting him on waivers. I’m talking about a hockey trade if one presents itself. “Just 23.” I mean he has been in the league for half a decade. Maybe the light goes on this upcoming season. I have a bad feeling that next year we’ll be saying, “He’s just 24.” I don’t know. I’m not saying he should’ve had 90 points last year, but I just don’t see it with him.

Reactions: effen

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I’m not talking about putting him on waivers. I’m talking about a hockey trade if one presents itself. “Just 23.” I mean he has been in the league for half a decade. Maybe the light goes on this upcoming season. I have a bad feeling that next year we’ll be saying, “He’s just 24.” I don’t know. I’m not saying he should’ve had 90 points last year, but I just don’t see it with him.
So what with how long he’s been in the league. He was put in the NHL before he was ready. He took longer to develop. His development was affected by being picked #2 by a contender. Lots of possible reasons. Yet the one fact is he’s 23 and could potentially have a lot of good solid seasons ahead of him.

So don’t trade him for a guy 5 years older who is at best barely better.

Yes move him as part of a deal to get a good player.

Patience s hard for some. Some wanted to jettison Laf last year. They looked foolish this year.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
This thread is wild. This team for all its faults is very good and really needs fine tuning more than anything else. And everyone in here is setting their expectations at like 40% roster turnover. That's not going to happen, nor should it happen. This is why everyone is always so mad at the GM and disappointed with the team, the expectations for what should happen are always so unrealistic.

Getting rid of Goodrow with for literally nothing with zero cap commitment is an A+ move and should be appreciated as such. When the deal was signed people knew it was a crazy overpay and the idea was floated he would be bought out or traded by year 4 so it was only temporary and that's exactly what happened. Good move.

If Fox were healthy, that alone, we're probably still playing - for all our faults. This team is right there. Hell, if Mika doesn't make the worst decision of his career in the first minute in OT of game 4 and we find a way to win that game I still think we win the Cup.

You don't trade half the team just because you're mad. We need a RW for the top 6 that can bring some tenacity and scoring touch. Arvidson is a target for me, he's a great complimentary player who can score and despite his size he's a tenacious player, has a history with Laviolette. His injury history is a concern but could maybe lead to getting him cheap. Just an idea. You see what you have in the recently drafted guys who all bring elements we lack in Othmann, Sykora, Berard. One of them will stick in the bottom 6 this season and each of those guys bring elements we lack, Sykora is a tenacious forechecker, Berard has skill and speed and Othmann is a prick with scoring touch.

Either way, this team was literally the President's Trophy winner this season. There are changes that need to be made, but not wholesale complete roster reconstruction. Upgrade your top 6 RW, ideally a stopgap until Perrault has a chance to make the team. This team is a contender and this board has folks acting like it's still 2021 with some of the things I'm reading here. If I see the word rebuild, whether proposing it for 2 seasons from now or reflecting negatively on the past, one more time lol.
Thank you. It’s tough to find sensible posts

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Anyone else hate PHI related trades and proposals? I have zero clue what any of their players are worth because they're been such a weird miserable team

Reactions: McRanger92

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers need to build a team like the Panthers Oilers.
Edmonton has those big and tall D. The Panthers had 4 shots on goal with 13 minutes left in the 2nd period. The Panthers can't get their forecheck game going. The Rangers couldn't keep Florida out of their zone and the Rangers couldn't get anything going in the Florida zone. Edmonton has flipped the script on them. Broberg has been a huge guy for Edmonton. He has stabilized their D. He is big. He can skate. He wanted to be traded during the season.

Vegas had those big D last season. Florida couldn't get anything going after they ran over the Leafs and Canes to reach the SCF. Same thing is happening again.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
So what with how long he’s been in the league. He was put in the NHL before he was ready. He took longer to develop. His development was affected by being picked #2 by a contender. Lots of possible reasons. Yet the one fact is he’s 23 and could potentially have a lot of good solid seasons ahead of him.

So don’t trade him for a guy 5 years older who is at best barely better.

Yes move him as part of a deal to get a good player.

Patience s hard for some. Some wanted to jettison Laf last year. They looked foolish this year.
So what with how long he’s been in the league? Is 5 seasons not a good sample size? Can he improve? I’m sure to some degree. Do players suddenly figure it out in year 6? I’m sure there might be a few examples. I do agree that he shouldn’t have been in the NHL his first couple seasons. However, I think we’ve had him around long enough to have an idea of what he is.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Curious what the consensus would be...

Tuba's NMC is becoming a M-NTC. If by some chance Drury's shopping him and he doesn't like the ask or it's a team on his no trade list.. does Drury let his nuts hang again and put him on waivers? There's plenty of teams with cap space that need RHDs. Someone would probably claim him. At the very least there would be takers going that route.

Again, who knows whether he'll even be on the table. I don't think it'd get to that point, there'd probably be a trade partner available but it's something I would think about... 8 million dollars is a lot of cap space to open up

Reactions: Dijock94

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
EF is reporting Winnipeg is talking to teams about Rutger McGroarty. The American boy isn't signing in Winnipeg. He didn't leave school after the season. Everyone said the right things at the time. Will McGroarty leave school this summer if he is traded?

EF also said the NHL and NHLPA will be looking to see if the Rangers and Sharks make a trade after the Goodrow waiver claim which seems fishy. They don't want the teams to get around the no trade clause.

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
Friedman says the Jets are worried that Rutger McGroarty, who is going back to Michigan for his junior year, will finish college and bail on them. They are apparently talking about trading his rights.

Kakko for McGroarty?
Man, I’m anti giving up on kk but I’d probably pull the trigger on that. I’m a big fan of Ruts.

That being said I don’t know if they have a big need for w, they might need a d though. So maybe lindgren??

Last edited:

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Less than a month into '23-'24 season, before he was injured, we had posters talking about what Kakko needs to do in the upcoming offseason to improve. As if he didn't have the previous 4.5 months to address things. Felt like we were living the Twilight Zone.

So maybe this is finally the offseason he takes his training seriously & finally works on his skating? Hopefully the kid realizes he's running out of chances.

Reactions: Barnaby

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Edmonton has those big and tall D. The Panthers had 4 shots on goal with 13 minutes left in the 2nd period. The Panthers can't get their forecheck game going. The Rangers couldn't keep Florida out of their zone and the Rangers couldn't get anything going in the Florida zone. Edmonton has flipped the script on them. Broberg has been a huge guy for Edmonton. He has stabilized their D. He is big. He can skate. He wanted to be traded during the season.

Vegas had those big D last season. Florida couldn't get anything going after they ran over the Leafs and Canes to reach the SCF. Same thing is happening again.
Do Schneider and Miller count as “big tall D”? What about Trouba?

We know Fox doesn’t but he doesn’t count.

So, replace Lindgren and Gustafson with “big tall D” and profit?

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Less than a month into '23-'24 season, before he was injured, we had posters talking about what Kakko needs to do in the upcoming offseason to improve. As if he didn't have the previous 4.5 months to address things. Felt like we were living the Twilight Zone.

So maybe this is finally the offseason he takes his training seriously & finally works on his skating? Hopefully the kid realizes he's running out of chances.
As it was with Laf, it’s less physical and more mental with Kakko. The problem is, I don’t know if this kid has the mental constitution to turn himself around. He’s the ultimate “beta”, and I don’t mean that in the toxic masculinity douchebag modern way.

If he doesn’t believe that he is better than everyone else, he’s not going to be. I don’t think he has that fire burning inside of him.

I’m not going to write him off though because I did that with Laf and look what happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad