Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Do Schneider and Miller count as “big tall D”? What about Trouba?

We know Fox doesn’t but he doesn’t count.

So, replace Lindgren and Gustafson with “big tall D” and profit?
Ironically, Gus is 6'2.

As it was with Laf, it’s less physical and more mental with Kakko. The problem is, I don’t know if this kid has the mental constitution to turn himself around. He’s the ultimate “beta”, and I don’t mean that in the toxic masculinity douchebag modern way.

If he doesn’t believe that he is better than everyone else, he’s not going to be. I don’t think he has that fire burning inside of him.

I’m not going to write him off though because I did that with Laf and look what happened.
I agree with you that most of his issues stem from a lack of confidence...however, his skating is something that needs to be addressed. All the confidence in the world isn't fixing his first 3 steps.

Reactions: bhamill

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Ironically, Gus is 6'2.

I agree with you that most of his issues stem from a lack of confidence...however, his skating is something that needs to be addressed. All the confidence in the world isn't fixing his first 3 steps.
I don’t think that’s getting fixed. That is who he is physically. He is still able to create separation at times though. He needs to be much, much more decisive with the puck and actually attempt to get it to the net.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
EF is reporting Winnipeg is talking to teams about Rutger McGroarty. The American boy isn't signing in Winnipeg. He didn't leave school after the season. Everyone said the right things at the time. Will McGroarty leave school this summer if he is traded?

EF also said the NHL and NHLPA will be looking to see if the Rangers and Sharks make a trade after the Goodrow waiver claim which seems fishy. They don't want the teams to get around the no trade clause.

This is a scenario where I'd trade our first in a nanosecond

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Agreed. I want to use the pick to hopefully get a good prospect. McGroarty is already a very good prospect, and one we wouldn't have to wait very long, if at all, to join the team.

Drury should be all over this.

Reactions: B17 Apricots

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
100% agree, tho I think a team like sjs could offer 14th overall since it’s a pretty weak draft. I wonder if something like 30th, lindgren & Robertson for mcgroaty, 37th & the rights to Dillion could be more of an interest to the jets. They have trouble signing players and losing some nhl d to FA

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I’d argue @RangerBoy isnt wrong though. Having a physical, defensive defenseman who is barely 6’ isn’t ideal and when it comes to playoff time when more physical play is allowed, the bigger and stronger guys thrive

The problem is who’s that D?
Zadorov is getting overpaid
Dillon is a 3rd pair guy

If Drury can find a trade so be it but otherwise Lindgren is probably resigned

I’m all for a tweak to this team but you done just do it for any replacement

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
100% agree, tho I think a team like sjs could offer 14th overall since it’s a pretty weak draft. I wonder if something like 30th, lindgren & Robertson for mcgroaty, 37th & the rights to Dillion could be more of an interest to the jets. They have trouble signing players and losing some nhl d to FA
Robertson has very little value and trading up from 37 to 30 probably doesn't move the needle much either.

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
Robertson has very little value and trading up from 37 to 30 probably doesn't move the needle much either.
The way I figure is
30th for mcgroaty
Lindgren for 37th
Robertson for the rights to Dillion

I think lindgren has more value than 37th to some teams so that makes up the gap for just 30th to mcgroaty

I agree that move up doesn’t move the needle for them as much but they don’t have a 3rd. Maybe their 2nd next year?

Last edited:

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Fehverary from Washington ?
Is he a top 4 D?
Reunite the Lindgrens

Oleksiak from Seattle would be one to target and maaaaaybe Seattle wants to shake things up ?

Last edited:

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Berard and #30OA. Theyd get a pretty good prospect whos already signed + a 1st.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Trouba , Lindgren , Kakko
For
Oleksiak, Burkovsky , Tanev

Flame away lol

Fs
Panarin , Tro, Laf
Kreider , Zib , Burk
Cuylee , Chytil , Tanev
Vesey , ufa C, Brodz , Rempe , Edstrom , ufa?

Last edited:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Fehverary from Washington ?
Is he a top 4 D?
Reunite the Lindgrens

Oleksiak from Seattle would be one to target and maaaaaybe Seattle wants to shake things up ?
Fehervary would be great. He was 3rd on Washington last year in EV ice time and PK ice per game for dmen. He was used even more heavily in the playoffs. 1st in PK time, 2nd in EV and overall time. I think he was their best dman against us.

He has 2 years left at 2.675 mil.

I can't see any reason why Washington would trade him, though, especially in division.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
One of the things I like about McGroarty is he played center when he was younger. When he was with the development program they had a ton of centers and moved guys to the wing. When he went to Michigan they had plenty of centers as well. If we traded for McGroarty I would have every intention on trying him down the middle

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The problem is who’s that D?
Zadorov is getting overpaid
Dillon is a 3rd pair guy

If Drury can find a trade so be it but otherwise Lindgren is probably resigned

I’m all for a tweak to this team but you done just do it for any replacement

What’s odd is that most of the guys who have good showings in the playoffs are 3rd pairing guys. Hell, McIlrath played well for Washington

One of the things I like about McGroarty is he played center when he was younger. When he was with the development program they had a ton of centers and moved guys to the wing. When he went to Michigan they had plenty of centers as well. If we traded for McGroarty I would have every intention on trying him down the middle

Didn’t know this, thanks

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
Berard and #30OA. Theyd get a pretty good prospect whos already signed + a 1st.
I think the value is there but I just don’t think it works for the jets. The nhl team has a ton of wings already and they have prospects like Barlow, lambert, Lucius & chibrikov already signed. I think they need d prospects which nyr don’t really have besides fort & Mancini. Plus they probably want an nhl d over a prospect since they have trouble signing better ufas.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Friedman says the Jets are worried that Rutger McGroarty, who is going back to Michigan for his junior year, will finish college and bail on them. They are apparently talking about trading his rights.

Kakko for McGroarty?
We should be so lucky.

EF is reporting Winnipeg is talking to teams about Rutger McGroarty. The American boy isn't signing in Winnipeg. He didn't leave school after the season. Everyone said the right things at the time. Will McGroarty leave school this summer if he is traded?

EF also said the NHL and NHLPA will be looking to see if the Rangers and Sharks make a trade after the Goodrow waiver claim which seems fishy. They don't want the teams to get around the no trade clause.

Haha. Only when the Rangers do it. Literally no rule was broken.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
This thread is wild. This team for all its faults is very good and really needs fine tuning more than anything else. And everyone in here is setting their expectations at like 40% roster turnover. That's not going to happen, nor should it happen. This is why everyone is always so mad at the GM and disappointed with the team, the expectations for what should happen are always so unrealistic.

Getting rid of Goodrow with for literally nothing with zero cap commitment is an A+ move and should be appreciated as such. When the deal was signed people knew it was a crazy overpay and the idea was floated he would be bought out or traded by year 4 so it was only temporary and that's exactly what happened. Good move.

If Fox were healthy, that alone, we're probably still playing - for all our faults. This team is right there. Hell, if Mika doesn't make the worst decision of his career in the first minute in OT of game 4 and we find a way to win that game I still think we win the Cup.

You don't trade half the team just because you're mad. We need a RW for the top 6 that can bring some tenacity and scoring touch. Arvidson is a target for me, he's a great complimentary player who can score and despite his size he's a tenacious player, has a history with Laviolette. His injury history is a concern but could maybe lead to getting him cheap. Just an idea. You see what you have in the recently drafted guys who all bring elements we lack in Othmann, Sykora, Berard. One of them will stick in the bottom 6 this season and each of those guys bring elements we lack, Sykora is a tenacious forechecker, Berard has skill and speed and Othmann is a prick with scoring touch.

Either way, this team was literally the President's Trophy winner this season. There are changes that need to be made, but not wholesale complete roster reconstruction. Upgrade your top 6 RW, ideally a stopgap until Perrault has a chance to make the team. This team is a contender and this board has folks acting like it's still 2021 with some of the things I'm reading here. If I see the word rebuild, whether proposing it for 2 seasons from now or reflecting negatively on the past, one more time lol.
giphy.gif

Edmonton has those big and tall D.
My ex wife said that I was perfect and the big ones hurt.

Reactions: Glen Sathers Cigar

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
If the finals has shown us anything is that more than physicality, speed is what has turned the series

McJesus is another reason, but Edmonton has been skating as well as or better than Florida and it has completely neutralized the Panthers suffocating forecheck.

We need skaters with skill for the 3rd line and guys that can skate on the 4th line as well.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
If the finals has shown us anything is that more than physicality, speed is what has turned the series

McJesus is another reason, but Edmonton has been skating as well as or better than Florida and it has completely neutralized the Panthers suffocating forecheck.

We need skaters with skill for the 3rd line and guys that can skate on the 4th line as well.

They haven’t really neutralized anything, at least in the last 2 games.

Florida’s had pockets of dominant play in both games. If anything this series has exposed Florida’s depth of scoring (which was a bit of a red flag in our series too) and that they don’t have a McDavid to carry them back into a series if they were to get into a hole.

Their top line murdered the Zibanejad line. The rest of our team outscored the rest of theirs.

I think Edmonton looked better earlier in the series than they did in game 5 and game 6 was almost a carbon copy of game 2 with the opposite result.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
For all the barking done about the core, they all had big moments and were the regular season and playoff scoring leaders for us. It’s our depth and defense that failed. Our 3rd line couldn’t get anything going. Even our 4th line had 8 playoff goals. We had a big hole at RW after Roslovic started the playoffs hot.

Yes the rangers are close but they need to improve. When we have Chytil/Kakko/Lindgrwb types going up against Bennett/Lundell/Ekblad’s, we’re losing that battle every time. That’s the group of players/roles the Rangers need to upgrade this summer

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
For all the barking done about the core, they all had big moments and were the regular season and playoff scoring leaders for us. It’s our depth and defense that failed. Our 3rd line couldn’t get anything going. Even our 4th line had 8 playoff goals. We had a big hole at RW after Roslovic started the playoffs hot.

Yes the rangers are close but they need to improve. When we have Chytil/Kakko/Lindgrwb types going up against Bennett/Lundell/Ekblad’s, we’re losing that battle every time. That’s the group of players/roles the Rangers need to upgrade this summer
This is conveniently looking past the fact that Mika Zibanejad was just not very good from opening night til we were eliminated. He's a huge part of the core that we're stuck with & he needs to be much better in order for us to move to the next level. In the end it could be a fatal flaw, but it's the main reason it's incumbent upon Drury to improve the team in the areas where he has flexibility. Moving Goodrow was a good start, moving Trouba & Lindgren would go a long way to show he really gets it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad