Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019
Aside from the 22 other teams that would happily trade for him, but I agree it wouldn’t take GP. I doubt they have much interest in another American prospect playing in college unless they are sure they will sign him.
True someone else can prob beat our Gabe-less offer

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Team trading for McGroaty will likely want some assurances that he will sign. He kind of controls his own destiny which is sad with the NCAA loophole.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
How is it a weird criteria to base my opinion of Kakko on his lack of growth over 5 seasons with 300 regular season games played plus playoffs?

Listen, I’m not saying he’s not an NHL player. I just don’t see a top 6 player, and I’m not sure his style of play is ideal in a bottom 6 roll. It goes beyond just point totals at age x.

This is just Kakko apologist talk. Give him an out for every negative and praise any incremental improvement. I’m not saying cast him on waivers, but if you can improve the team, then do it. The 3rd line can’t be a barren wasteland forever. It’s been a vanilla blah line for years now.

If a baseball player hit .180 over 5 MLB seasons and 2500 at bats you wouldn’t say that you need to be patient. Hes going to hit .300 any day now.
You didn’t base it on lack of growth… since you ignored that he progressed every year over the previous other than the last one with a major knee injury.
You can’t just blanket judge players by how long they’ve been in the league and think you sound rational. Their development is based on age and maturation way more than how many years they’ve been in the NHL. Kakko has had five NHL years and he’s only 23. Colton has had only 4 years and he’s already 28. Are you going to try to tell me that Kakko at 23 is more of a finished product than Colton at 28? That’s nuts. Kakko having been in the league 5 years only shows that he was able to make the league at 18, or more realistically was rushed into the league when we should have let him develop at a lower level.
If the baseball player is hitting .180 in MLB at 22, after making it at 17 or 18, yeah I’d say he still has time to improve. But hitting .180 in MLB is way inferior to a player scoring almost 0.5PPG in the NHL like Kakko did last year. A .180 avg isn't really MLB level. 40 5v5 points is DEFINITELY NHL level.

Reactions: TominNC

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Aside from the 22 other teams that would happily trade for him, but I agree it wouldn’t take GP. I doubt they have much interest in another American prospect playing in college unless they are sure they will sign him.
We trade Gabe to WPG for RMG after agreeing with Gabe that we would sign him as soon as his 4 years are up… we end up with BOTH. Bingo Bango 10D Chess!
*note: post is for entertainment purposes only. No argument is required.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Won’t be popular, but I’d do Othmann for McGroarty. Both are NHL ready, but I like McGroarty’s overall game way more (and have since the NTDP). McGroarty also switches between C and LW, and I think he can be a C as his game develops more
Id do this.

Though i am not super high on Othmann to begin with.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
You didn’t base it on lack of growth… since you ignored that he progressed every year over the previous other than the last one with a major knee injury.
You can’t just blanket judge players by how long they’ve been in the league and think you sound rational. Their development is based on age and maturation way more than how many years they’ve been in the NHL. Kakko has had five NHL years and he’s only 23. Colton has had only 4 years and he’s already 28. Are you going to try to tell me that Kakko at 23 is more of a finished product than Colton at 28? That’s nuts. Kakko having been in the league 5 years only shows that he was able to make the league at 18, or more realistically was rushed into the league when we should have let him develop at a lower level.
If the baseball player is hitting .180 in MLB at 22, after making it at 17 or 18, yeah I’d say he still has time to improve. But hitting .180 in MLB is way inferior to a player scoring almost 0.5PPG in the NHL like Kakko did last year. A .180 avg isn't really MLB level. 40 5v5 points is DEFINITELY NHL level.
Realistically, what do you see Kakko being better at than he was 2-3 years ago?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
But you wanted Rempe to get more time in the playoffs despite having.. your words.. "growing pains"

There is no room for growing pains in the playoffs.

Lav was correct to limit his time because of this. Was incorrect to dress him in the first place.
one of us must speak Swahili*, b'c your comments fail comprehension in English
(*and I assure you it ain't me)

Growing pains are by definition TEMPORARY
(your inference is as if they are permanent = WRONG)
they endure for as long as it takes to grow - 2 days, 2 months, 2 yrs whatev

How long it takes for a player to get past growing pains is not an exact science, and it depends... on what aspect of NHL game he must grow into [e.g., LaF skating sufficiently], on the player, and on the circumstances.

But it is always temporary.
IF IF IF you accept the growing pains and commit to player development and you fully give him truly sufficient mins to evolve his game,
and you do so early on in the season,
in many cases, that is enough to have the player succeed enough for playoffs that year, and create a proper foundation going forward

This may not often be the Rangers' way with win now favoring of vets
but it is still wrong,
and R braintrust would be wise to admit so

Mistake was not less Rempe and yr ridiculous we should not have brought him up at all
Mistake was not bringing him up earlier and obv this is borderline indisputable since those mins were given to like Bonino + Pitlick

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The PHI-ANA deal this year is a template for this a bit although Mcgroarty isn’t as high profile. Drysdale had shown some flashes but couldn’t stay healthy. I would say that Kakko would be in a similar vein in that he has shown flashes.

Kakko needs a fresh start somewhere with an opportunity.

McGroarty has proven nothing at the NHL level and honestly, if Kakko had gone the NCAA route for two years, his numbers would have been better. He’s proven to be a solid 3rd line player already.

If Drury is actually looking to move him. This is a trade that makes a lot of sense

Reactions: Lion Hound

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
one of us must speak Swahili*, b'c your comments fail comprehension in English
(*and I assure you it ain't me)

Growing pains are by definition TEMPORARY
(your inference is as if they are permanent = WRONG)
they endure for as long as it takes to grow - 2 days, 2 months, 2 yrs whatev

How long it takes for a player to get past growing pains is not an exact science, and it depends... on what aspect of NHL game he must grow into [e.g., LaF skating sufficiently], on the player, and on the circumstances.

But it is always temporary.
IF IF IF you accept the growing pains and commit to player development and you fully give him truly sufficient mins to evolve his game,
and you do so early on in the season,
in many cases, that is enough to have the player succeed enough for playoffs that year, and create a proper foundation going forward

This may not often be the Rangers' way with win now favoring of vets
but it is still wrong,
and R braintrust would be wise to admit so

Mistake was not less Rempe and yr ridiculous we should not have brought him up at all
Mistake was not bringing him up earlier and obv this is borderline indisputable since those mins were given to like Bonino + Pitlick
Yeah yeah 1000 words to say nothing as always.

When did I say his growing pains were permanent?

Playoffs aren't the time to deal with them is my point, which you probably know.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mandar

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I think Schneider should get a look on the PP2 this season. Especially if Trouba is still here. Schneider has a underrated shot.

Reactions: bhamill

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Something around Lindgren and Kakko for Ehlers plus ?
no

Is Fowler on D a good option ? 2 yrs left
Plus say Vakanainnen.

Would Verbeek entertain Trouba , Lindgren , Kakko ….

The Ducks D would be better overall Imo

I just think Drury is gonna make a trade
again no
adding age in Fowler likely for youth = NO

How many "youths" are on Edmonton and Florida, exactly?

Here, let me help you both:

Florida has ONE guy under 25 playing meaningful minutes in Lundell.

Everyone, that's EVERYONE else is 25 and over. And only one guy is 25.

Edmonton? Glad you asked.

One guy @ 22, two at 24 and the rest of the skaters are 27 and older

Playing guys, er, "youths" like Rempe isn't a magic bullet to win a cup. It's a magic bullet not to. The only way you're playing players like that is if they are exceptional - ie... Bouchard, Lafreniere, Lundell, etc...

The "Not the Rangers Way" Rangers, btw, played NINE players 25 and under.
Since you are so generous offering to help, allow me to reciprocate

There are 3 humongous misfires in your failed effort to hoist me off my own petard. Be humbled in my calling you out as to same.

First youth WILL be served due to structural cap
B'c as a rule vets due to seniority earn more than comparable youth, they are more expensive. At some pt, vets must be jettisoned so too many vets do not push us over the cap.
Cap mgmt - roster mgmt

Second, youth may be able to provide needed boost in POs
Vets instead offer experience, which is not without value, but is not worth as replacement for energy for POs after long season, generally speaking. Obv a guy like Kreider takes pains to remain in great shape all the time, offers us 'beast factor' and is an exception to the rule.
But putting health/healing/how fast one recovers aside, having energy as POs go deep is real, and huge.
Gus was fine about a third + of the season
Got old fast
Solution was not play Gus more
or use normal sized Jones who can skate but clear the crease -- not so much;
and instead, since Scanlin really did need the time, give Robertson an actual chance.
Third and finally, you presume what we really needed to counter FL physicality was able to come from vets
Lavi went there against what I suggested AND WAS OBVIOUSLY WAS WRONG The result speaks for itself
Physicality is not automatically linked to age, tho
what I said about good big man >> good little man in sports holds
it is more likely that
good big man with more energy >> good big or little man w/less energy

I don't trade straight up Trouba for Fowler either at this point. I mean, neither Trouba nor Fowler help this team at this point. I'd package Trouba, 1st, + at this point for an NHL player just to get rid of the salary and not have a shit player.

I hope he turns it around if can. He was painful to watch at the end.
yes, continue to sacrifice youth assets

smart move on Troub is add a 4th, retain 1.5 to 6.5 x 2 yrs remaining and get 2 2nds for him

Agreed. I want to use the pick to hopefully get a good prospect. McGroarty is already a very good prospect, and one we wouldn't have to wait very long, if at all, to join the team.

Drury should be all over this.
Interested in McG dep on cost
but remember, this recent 14OA is barely 6'
need to be careful about lack of size commitment

Last edited:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Yeah yeah 1000 words to say nothing as always.

When did I say his growing pains were permanent?

Playoffs aren't the time to deal with them is my point, which you probably know.
bold = sez you
underline = when you inferred that by yr comment
go back and READ
italics = pt is if you undertake development = growing pains comes with the territory early enuf, in may cases you avoid dealing w/them in the POs, b'c the maturation process will be sufficiently along.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
bold = sez you
underline = when you inferred that by yr comment
go back and READ
italics = pt is if you undertake development = growing pains comes with the territory early enuf, in may cases you avoid dealing w/them in the POs, b'c the maturation process will be sufficiently along.

Blah blah blah.

Was he ready for significant minutes in the playoffs?

No.

Simple as that. I don't need to write a book to say that.

Reactions: Mandar

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Realistically, what do you see Kakko being better at than he was 2-3 years ago?
He can add a half step through strength. His game sense will get better in terms of anticipation.

The problem is his offensive skillset is a guy who camps the front of the net and his mental isn't built for that. Only person who can fix that is him.

Reactions: bhamill

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Just let Jones take it and 4 forwards
I don't think Jones has the recoverability to the lone defenseman on an NHL PP.

Fox only makes it work by head fakes and mental warfare, opposing forwards don't really need to respect that shit even though they do. They could just skate at him and eat him up but his reputation is too good. Jones won't have that plot armor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad