Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

UnderPSI

Old Salty Dog
Sep 6, 2007
New Jersey
EF also said the NHL and NHLPA will be looking to see if the Rangers and Sharks make a trade after the Goodrow waiver claim which seems fishy. They don't want the teams to get around the no trade clause.
Teams taking advantage of LTIR cap space. Fans complain about Drury not utilizing LTIR.

Chris Drury, hold my Pizza, I'll one up it. What NTC?

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
For all the barking done about the core, they all had big moments and were the regular season and playoff scoring leaders for us. It’s our depth and defense that failed. Our 3rd line couldn’t get anything going. Even our 4th line had 8 playoff goals. We had a big hole at RW after Roslovic started the playoffs hot.

Yes the rangers are close but they need to improve. When we have Chytil/Kakko/Lindgrwb types going up against Bennett/Lundell/Ekblad’s, we’re losing that battle every time. That’s the group of players/roles the Rangers need to upgrade this summer
You'd have to break that down a little more. You could use stats from an elevated position but it doesn't reflect reality imo

Our core guys get all the primo minutes. Zibs was bad after game 1 against Carolina. He destroyed the PP from then on. He gets embarrassed from the tougher matchups... He needs to be better, there's no way around it. 1 EV Goal in 16 games?

Trouba was a massive liability. The OT PP winner from Florida was the turning point and it was all on him. All the hope/magic was gone after that. These are core guys.

Lindgren is a black hole. Panarin produces at a fraction of what we'd want and it's not just him but mostly every player with his style of play struggles. Royal road does not work the deeper you go. You can't use regular season tactics. We need to be able to simplify the game and get to the middle... they refuse for how many years now?

Fox was hobbled.

We can't move Mika but we can take him off of PP1.
We can move Trouba and Lindgren. Who are they replaced with? Schneider is already better than Trouba. I really, really like Roy. Would be cheaper and better. The top4LHD is the tough one. We have to pay up for that upgrade. Throwing Lindgren Fox back out there is the path of least resistance and diminishes one of your best players.

We need more north-south, forechecking/relentlessness and speed. It can't just be one player on a line while Mika and Kreider float about. It needs to be the entire unit on the ice.

We lost because some of our 'best' and top paid players did not show up and were actually detriments

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I know that we're very much wrapped up in roster construction with this organization, but there's a large part of me that really wonders if the team missed an opportunity last summer with the head coach. Lavy did some great things here with the roster that he had, but watching the oilers throughout the playoffs and the intimate touch that the head coach has for his group, for understanding his group, and the confidence he has in his decisions even just changing his lineup for games even after victories just really stands out. There was a group here that was very vocal about wanting him to take over and I think most of us understood it could be a good choice but regardless if the oilers went into seven I think there has to be a little part here that wonders if you let a good one get away. It's hard to say that after some of the success this past season, but the way that knoblach has navigated the playoffs has been nothing short of impressive.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
Man, I’m anti giving up on kk but I’d probably pull the trigger on that. I’m a big fan of Ruts.

That being said I don’t know if they have a big need for w, they might need a d though. So maybe lindgren??
Kakko for McGroarty might get it done

Winnipeg does this because:

Although their board says they need centers and RHD, they’re set to re-sign Monahan, lose Toffoli, and trade Ehlers. They can reunite Kakko and Lambert and hope it takes both players to the next level.

Rangers do this because:

Kakko needs a change of scenery. Rangers get another bluechip prospect in return, one that can play center which is a position of need for our farm system. He’s also a physical player that Drury seems to covet. Rangers free up another $1.2 million of cap space and a 3rd line RW spot for Othmann or Berard.

Edit: One more plus for the Rangers— if Kakko pops off in Winnipeg and becomes the skilled power forward we were expecting, at least he does it in Winnipeg and not somewhere where he torches us 4 times per year.

Last edited:

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Has Kakko trended up in the last year? I wouldn’t trade him just for the heck of it, but if there’s a move that makes sense then do it. Kakko isn’t bringing back a star, but if you can make the team better than go for it. I’ve seen nothing to indicate that he stands to improve all that much.
Kakko improved every year over the previous one… EXCEPT this year. This year is the outlier and it was impacted by a serious knee injury.
Does anyone remember pre season when so many were saying things like “Kakko has arrived!” and “Laf’s next contract should be a PTO!”? Well I do even if people want to pretend it wasn’t the case. Things can change quick for players in that 21-24 age range. When things click there can be a real jump. Ala Laf. And it’s also very rare for an NHLer to have his most productive season be his 21yo season. That would be a genuine crazy outlier.

Zynbanejad

To Blais or Not To Blais
Jul 7, 2010
Won’t be popular, but I’d do Othmann for McGroarty. Both are NHL ready, but I like McGroarty’s overall game way more (and have since the NTDP). McGroarty also switches between C and LW, and I think he can be a C as his game develops more
Feels like a lateral move. Trade someone else to get him

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Feels like a lateral move. Trade someone else to get him

It’d be an upgrade.

McGroarty is very good and is very much in the mold of what we could use. It’d likely take more.

I wonder if the Oilers would be willing to trade Nurse, he is one of those big rangy D that all teams who win the cup have. Rangers could use another guy like that.

Know you’re kidding but shut your whore mouth!

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
So what with how long he’s been in the league? Is 5 seasons not a good sample size? Can he improve? I’m sure to some degree. Do players suddenly figure it out in year 6? I’m sure there might be a few examples. I do agree that he shouldn’t have been in the NHL his first couple seasons. However, I think we’ve had him around long enough to have an idea of what he is.
How long a player has been in the league is a weird criteria to base how much development he has ahead of him. Basically penalizing a player for making the NHL, whether he deserved to or not, as an 18 year old. If he took the path of say Colton, he wouldn’t even be in the league for another two years and maybe wouldn’t score 40 points till he was 27, like Colton, instead of doing it at 21-22…
Just a super weird perspective to me.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
I know that we're very much wrapped up in roster construction with this organization, but there's a large part of me that really wonders if the team missed an opportunity last summer with the head coach. Lavy did some great things here with the roster that he had, but watching the oilers throughout the playoffs and the intimate touch that the head coach has for his group, for understanding his group, and the confidence he has in his decisions even just changing his lineup for games even after victories just really stands out. There was a group here that was very vocal about wanting him to take over and I think most of us understood it could be a good choice but regardless if the oilers went into seven I think there has to be a little part here that wonders if you let a good one get away. It's hard to say that after some of the success this past season, but the way that knoblach has navigated the playoffs has been nothing short of impressive.
I thought they should have brought him up rather than hiring Quinn.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
They haven’t really neutralized anything, at least in the last 2 games.

Florida’s had pockets of dominant play in both games. If anything this series has exposed Florida’s depth of scoring (which was a bit of a red flag in our series too) and that they don’t have a McDavid to carry them back into a series if they were to get into a hole.

Their top line murdered the Zibanejad line. The rest of our team outscored the rest of theirs.

I think Edmonton looked better earlier in the series than they did in game 5 and game 6 was almost a carbon copy of game 2 with the opposite result.

Not watching the same games.

Edmonton has not been pinned for nearly the same amount of time.

In fact, into the 2nd period, Edmonton carried most of the play.

Florida looks a step behind in the games I have watched.

Reactions: egelband

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Any coach will look like a genius when they have the best player in the league and perhaps when it’s all said and done, one who is considered the best to ever do it.

Not watching the same games.

Edmonton has not been pinned for nearly the same amount of time.

In fact, into the 2nd period, Edmonton carried most of the play.

Florida looks a step behind in the games I have watched.

Edmonton had like 2 shots 17 minutes into the second period last night. They very much spend the majority of that period in their own end.

They looked like a team of Lindgren’s and Trouba’s for the entirety of the 3rd in game 5.

I think Edmonton has been better and should have already won this series, but most of that has been on the back of how good they looked earlier in the series despite losing the first 3. No one made any mention of those games and their speed advantage because they lost those games. The last 2 games have been pretty close and very much were back and forth affairs.

Reactions: egelband

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
With what's going on with the Jets and Rutger McGroarty, could nyr look at a deal around kakko for mcgroarty? Not sure how people would feel about this

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
How long a player has been in the league is a weird criteria to base how much development he has ahead of him. Basically penalizing a player for making the NHL, whether he deserved to or not, as an 18 year old. If he took the path of say Colton, he wouldn’t even be in the league for another two years and maybe wouldn’t score 40 points till he was 27, like Colton, instead of doing it at 21-22…
Just a super weird perspective to me.
How is it a weird criteria to base my opinion of Kakko on his lack of growth over 5 seasons with 300 regular season games played plus playoffs?

Listen, I’m not saying he’s not an NHL player. I just don’t see a top 6 player, and I’m not sure his style of play is ideal in a bottom 6 roll. It goes beyond just point totals at age x.

This is just Kakko apologist talk. Give him an out for every negative and praise any incremental improvement. I’m not saying cast him on waivers, but if you can improve the team, then do it. The 3rd line can’t be a barren wasteland forever. It’s been a vanilla blah line for years now.

If a baseball player hit .180 over 5 MLB seasons and 2500 at bats you wouldn’t say that you need to be patient. Hes going to hit .300 any day now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Atax

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Won’t be popular, but I’d do Othmann for McGroarty. Both are NHL ready, but I like McGroarty’s overall game way more (and have since the NTDP). McGroarty also switches between C and LW, and I think he can be a C as his game develops more
Wouldn’t be popular? I’d vote for you for Mayor of Ranger hfboard Town.

• Love
Reactions: Mac n Gs

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
If you want the Rangers to get Rutger, you're expecting them to move Perreault for him at this point. No other piece is going to get you that and I don't expect the Jets to be looking for players that they won't have control over for a prolonged period of time.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Teams taking advantage of LTIR cap space. Fans complain about Drury not utilizing LTIR.

Chris Drury, hold my Pizza, I'll one up it. What NTC?
Oh no . Better not try to do any trades with SJ for a while. Heartbroken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad