Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Only 3 players from Nebraska have made it to the NHL. 2 of them played for the Rangers. The other is a notorious NYR Killer. Neil Pionk, Jed Ortmeyer, Jake Guentzel.

McGroarty's father coached the Omaha Lancers. Jeds former team. I believe Rangers have some scouts from Nebraska as well.

Im sure the Rangers staff will be well acquainted with the player. No leverage though at least not yet. Not quite the Fox situation yet..

I could see a deal around Kakko. Jets are likely to lose Toffoli to Free agency. Monahan is also a free agent in July. Villardi was playing RW for the Jets. If they lose Monahan, i would assume Villardi slides back to C. Sheifele, Villardi, Lowry. leaves Perfetti and Appleton at RW. Jets need a RW.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Realistically, what do you see Kakko being better at than he was 2-3 years ago?
Everything that young hockey players get better at as they grow, get stronger and gain confidence. I’m not giving guarantees, it’s just common sense, how often does an NHLer peak at 21? Nobody seems to want to answer that question, because it’s obvious that he should get better as he continues to develop and mature. Why do we want to believe that Kakko is that special case that improved every year over the previous until this disaster, serious injury interrupted, D+5, where he backslid to his D+2 offensive numbers (while still playing great D and being a big plus on possession)… why would anyone assume that his “final form” is what he looked like in his 22yo season while recovering from a serious knee injury? I mean people are asking me to justify the overwhelmingly normal way young players develop rather than giving any rational justification to assume that this f***ed up season is all he’s capable of (even though he already did way better last year.)

Reactions: gump116

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
Only 3 players from Nebraska have made it to the NHL. 2 of them played for the Rangers. The other is a notorious NYR Killer. Neil Pionk, Jed Ortmeyer, Jake Guentzel.

McGroarty's father coached the Omaha Lancers. Jeds former team. I believe Rangers have some scouts from Nebraska as well.

Im sure the Rangers staff will be well acquainted with the player. No leverage though at least not yet. Not quite the Fox situation yet..

I could see a deal around Kakko. Jets are likely to lose Toffoli to Free agency. Monahan is also a free agent in July. Villardi was playing RW for the Jets. If they lose Monahan, i would assume Villardi slides back to C. Sheifele, Villardi, Lowry. leaves Perfetti and Appleton at RW. Jets need a RW.
The Jets can also reunite Kakko and Lambert. Maybe pairing them together again jumpstarts both of their developments. Getting two birds stoned at once, one might say.

Reactions: Lion Hound

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
EF is reporting Winnipeg is talking to teams about Rutger McGroarty. The American boy isn't signing in Winnipeg. He didn't leave school after the season. Everyone said the right things at the time. Will McGroarty leave school this summer if he is traded?

EF also said the NHL and NHLPA will be looking to see if the Rangers and Sharks make a trade after the Goodrow waiver claim which seems fishy. They don't want the teams to get around the no trade clause.

I hope they look so hard we can't make a trade with them for a decade

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Blah blah blah.

Was he ready for significant minutes in the playoffs?

No.

Simple as that. I don't need to write a book to say that.
He was not given the opportunity beforehand to develop further.
That overrides your point.
Your big comeback is meaningless.

I say 1,000 words
but peeps check it out, do the homework, it adds up

you have nothing to say, so you say NOTHING

go back to yr cocoon

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

not seeking McGroarty is def >> Kakko

Jets will take best offer wherev it comes from, but why are suitors offering premium?

proceed w/caution

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
not seeking McGroarty is def >> Kakko

Jets will take best offer wherev it comes from, but why are suitors offering premium?

proceed w/caution
I think theyd do othmann straight for Rutger. Gives them a 21 year old on an ELC whos already signed and former 16th OA pick

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I think Schneider should get a look on the PP2 this season. Especially if Trouba is still here. Schneider has an underrated shot.
Schneider should be ready to take top 4 mins from beginning of season til end.

I really don’t want to see him deployed on 3rd pair anymore. He needs to be given a longer leash and bigger role…

Jones should start on 3rd pair with a vet by his side… that will probably be the case for about 2 seasons.
The most likely scenario would be Trouba or Lindgren on his right. Whoever is still here.

I really don’t see a miller/fox pairing, so barring any trades miller-Schneider is going to be the 2nd D pair for a while….

Jones should probably run the garbage time of PP2 imo

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
He was not given the opportunity beforehand to develop further.
That overrides your point.
Your big comeback is meaningless.

I say 1,000 words
but peeps check it out, do the homework, it adds up

you have nothing to say, so you say NOTHING

go back to yr cocoon

Was he ready or not?

Do you want me to say it slower for you?

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
I am so confused by how much luster Othmann has lost on this board tbh. He objectively had a strong rookie year and brings a lot of assets we lack. Berard was better but his game is inherently more polished.

I would trade Oth for the right piece of course but he feels like someone that will develop into someone a lot of you wish we had.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I am so confused by how much luster Othmann has lost on this board tbh. He objectively had a strong rookie year and brings a lot of assets we lack. Berard was better but his game is inherently more polished.

I would trade Oth for the right piece of course but he feels like someone that will develop into someone a lot of you wish we had.

While fair, I think McGroarty is also that and then some.

He’s a great prospect.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022

he's a scorer, with a pro shot, and has an edge, but it doesn't look like he drives play or defends. we need play driving.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I like McGroarty but this might be an issue and hopefully can improve

"Lacks high-end speed and needs to improve his overall skating. He has the size, strength, and leadership qualities to go along with the scoring ability and hockey IQ to develop into a reliable two-way top-six multi-category fantasy option that will contribute to both the powerplay and penalty kill."

Rangers should definitely inquire about him.

Would this be fair Kakko or 30th overall to Jets for McGroarty (signs after trade to NYR)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad