Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
WPG has no power here, the kid is only getting traded to a place he'll sign.

That said they want NHL level bodies, they didnt pay Hellebuyck 7/60 so they could go on a youth movement. They need playoff gates to be viable.

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
Friedman says the Jets are worried that Rutger McGroarty, who is going back to Michigan for his junior year, will finish college and bail on them. They are apparently talking about trading his rights.

Kakko for McGroarty?

Kakko has the kind of personality that would probably be ok staying in Winnipeg

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
I would like to get some clarity from someone in the know.
NCAA Jimmy Vesey did not sign with the team that had drafted him or the team that his rights were traded to. On July 1st of his graduation year he was free to sign with any team.
Jayden Grubbe informed the Rangers that he would not be signing with them at the competition of his time in the WHL so Drury traded his rights to Edmonton.
My question is, that if Chris Drury would have offered Grubbe a contract despite his unwillingness to sign, could Jayden have been free to sign a contract with any professional North American team other than the Rangers?
If so, why? If not, how long would the Rangers hold his rights?

TheGortonConspiracy

Wow its a nice GM
May 2, 2017
NYC
I would like to get some clarity from someone in the know.
NCAA Jimmy Vesey did not sign with the team that had drafted him or the team that his rights were traded to. On July 1st of his graduation year he was free to sign with any team.
Jayden Grubbe informed the Rangers that he would not be signing with them at the competition of his time in the WHL so Drury traded his rights to Edmonton.
My question is, that if Chris Drury would have offered Grubbe a contract despite his unwillingness to sign, could Jayden have been free to sign a contract with any professional North American team other than the Rangers?
If so, why? If not, how long would the Rangers hold his rights?
A player not signed by drafted team within two years can reenter draft/becomes UFA

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
This is conveniently looking past the fact that Mika Zibanejad was just not very good from opening night til we were eliminated. He's a huge part of the core that we're stuck with & he needs to be much better in order for us to move to the next level. In the end it could be a fatal flaw, but it's the main reason it's incumbent upon Drury to improve the team in the areas where he has flexibility. Moving Goodrow was a good start, moving Trouba & Lindgren would go a long way to show he really gets it.

Mika had his worst year as a Rangers and it’s not arguable. He’s never been a 5v5 stud even on his best day. I’m just personally not ready to bail on a top 6 center who scores at a PPG pace. He needs to lift his game like Trocheck when the games get tight but at this stage we’re better off with him than without.

Agree on Lindgren and Trouba.

Reactions: Atax

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If Kakko and his team did indeed ask for a move, a logical scenario and conversation between NY and WIN would be to swap the players. And they fit the needs of each honestly in terms of timing. Maybe not 1 for 1 but pretty close.

With Ehlers likely leaving and Toffoli walking, there is going to be a big role for a top-6 winger there, likely playing with Monahan. Monahan isn’t exactly fleet of foot either but he does find his way to scoring areas around the net. A combination of Monahan-Kakko has the opportunity to work well. Work the puck down low.

Winnipeg in general is a spot that doesn’t attract big name UFA’s normally so a player like Kakko who, even if he explodes this year, would likely be able to be signed to a long term deal at a reasonable cap hit and would do so likely if he can take that next step there after a few years of stuttering.

Reactions: noncents

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Was he ready or not?

Do you want me to say it slower for you?
I want you to not just throw out words, think before you speak, and try to be cogent as a result.

since you continue to insist, let me break it down for you again...

Whether or not he was ready
BENDS, BUCKLES AND BREAKS IN CAPITULATION
to the fact he should have had the opportunity to develop further and thus be ready, which was denied Rempe -- entirely not his fault -- b'c they gave those mins to vets Bonino, Pitlick

that was a huge mistake b'c had Rempe got the mins earlier, he would have been better prepared for the POs

but even that notwithstanding
the fact they went without him and failed, miserably, establishes they should have listened to bern and played Rempe
we now know for a fact it could not have been worse.

Is

that

slow

enuf

for you?

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
While fair, I think McGroarty is also that and then some.

He’s a great prospect.
Yeah, I didn’t propose it because I disliked Othmann. I just think McGroarty is a better long-term fit for this organization. He has a lot of similar elements in his game as Othmann, but it’s really the ability to play C that puts it over the edge for me

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I know that we're very much wrapped up in roster construction with this organization, but there's a large part of me that really wonders if the team missed an opportunity last summer with the head coach. Lavy did some great things here with the roster that he had, but watching the oilers throughout the playoffs and the intimate touch that the head coach has for his group, for understanding his group, and the confidence he has in his decisions even just changing his lineup for games even after victories just really stands out. There was a group here that was very vocal about wanting him to take over and I think most of us understood it could be a good choice but regardless if the oilers went into seven I think there has to be a little part here that wonders if you let a good one get away. It's hard to say that after some of the success this past season, but the way that knoblach has navigated the playoffs has been nothing short of impressive.

Knoblauch is just a guy who has a career because of McDavid. Laviolette is the best coach we’ve had in my lifetime

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
You'd have to break that down a little more. You could use stats from an elevated position but it doesn't reflect reality imo

Our core guys get all the primo minutes. Zibs was bad after game 1 against Carolina. He destroyed the PP from then on. He gets embarrassed from the tougher matchups... He needs to be better, there's no way around it. 1 EV Goal in 16 games?

Trouba was a massive liability. The OT PP winner from Florida was the turning point and it was all on him. All the hope/magic was gone after that. These are core guys.

Lindgren is a black hole. Panarin produces at a fraction of what we'd want and it's not just him but mostly every player with his style of play struggles. Royal road does not work the deeper you go. You can't use regular season tactics. We need to be able to simplify the game and get to the middle... they refuse for how many years now?

Fox was hobbled.

We can't move Mika but we can take him off of PP1.
We can move Trouba and Lindgren. Who are they replaced with? Schneider is already better than Trouba. I really, really like Roy. Would be cheaper and better. The top4LHD is the tough one. We have to pay up for that upgrade. Throwing Lindgren Fox back out there is the path of least resistance and diminishes one of your best players.

We need more north-south, forechecking/relentlessness and speed. It can't just be one player on a line while Mika and Kreider float about. It needs to be the entire unit on the ice.

We lost because some of our 'best' and top paid players did not show up and were actually detriments

Is there a player out there that has Mika’s floor ceiling combo? We need to find a way to get him back to where he was. There’s not a replacement out there. A real top 6 player would be a good start.

The other points you made are all extremely valid and I agree. I just think the core is upper echelon in the NHL, and the grass won’t be greener. Trouba is the guy I’d love to move.

Reactions: Siddi

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I like McGroarty but this might be an issue and hopefully can improve

"Lacks high-end speed and needs to improve his overall skating. He has the size, strength, and leadership qualities to go along with the scoring ability and hockey IQ to develop into a reliable two-way top-six multi-category fantasy option that will contribute to both the powerplay and penalty kill."

Rangers should definitely inquire about him.

Would this be fair Kakko or 30th overall to Jets for McGroarty (signs after trade to NYR)
This ^ is why we do not overpay

again late 2025 1st + Sykora for McG + throw in

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Any coach will look like a genius when they have the best player in the league and perhaps when it’s all said and done, one who is considered the best to ever do it.

Edmonton had like 2 shots 17 minutes into the second period last night. They very much spend the majority of that period in their own end.

They looked like a team of Lindgren’s and Trouba’s for the entirety of the 3rd in game 5.

I think Edmonton has been better and should have already won this series, but most of that has been on the back of how good they looked earlier in the series despite losing the first 3. No one made any mention of those games and their speed advantage because they lost those games. The last 2 games have been pretty close and very much were back and forth affairs.
2 huge reason why our D looked over exposed against FLA were injuries ( Fox mainly) but Lindgren cracked rib and Trouba broken ankle didn’t help either.

Second, because our injuries and mainly our fwds struggling besides 3-4 of them, we couldn’t sustain any real zone time.
The pressure was too far/few in between. When your fwds can’t complete passes, can’t win 1 v 1 loose pucks and hold the play in their zone, the D is going to be gassed from constantly going the other way after 4 seconds zone pressure and a muffin shot.
Our D are also involved in that O zone pressure.
Fox not being able to shake guys 1 on 1 and not being able to join the rush on the attack as much, estimation about 3/4 of the time, as well as taking pucks deep in the o-zone as much really crippled how we’ve generated offense all season.
Our fwds also had their share of missed opportunities as well

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
As it was with Laf, it’s less physical and more mental with Kakko. The problem is, I don’t know if this kid has the mental constitution to turn himself around. He’s the ultimate “beta”, and I don’t mean that in the toxic masculinity douchebag modern way.

If he doesn’t believe that he is better than everyone else, he’s not going to be. I don’t think he has that fire burning inside of him.

I’m not going to write him off though because I did that with Laf and look what happened.
Totally agree. We’ve seen plenty of guys figure it out and take the next step. But sometimes they don’t. Kakko has the upside to make it a worthwhile gamble and I appreciate they handled the contract quickly and reasonably.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
b busy for couple of days...
chew on this:

bread will go to FL [for Mikkola, down the road pick + cap relief]
Trouba to DET [w/a 3rd for 2 2nds]
Lindy to UT [w/Robertson + a 4th for 2 2nds}

so it sinks in for Zib that there will be big changes
given that, he may waive to go to TOR, chance to line w/Austin M

thus:
Shesty + Zib + nyr 2025 1st
for
Nylander + Knies + Lilj + TOR 2024 + 2026 1sts

thoughts
peace out...

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
I want you to not just throw out words, think before you speak, and try to be cogent as a result.

since you continue to insist, let me break it down for you again...

Whether or not he was ready
BENDS, BUCKLES AND BREAKS IN CAPITULATION
to the fact he should have had the opportunity to develop further and thus be ready, which was denied Rempe -- entirely not his fault -- b'c they gave those mins to vets Bonino, Pitlick

that was a huge mistake b'c had Rempe got the mins earlier, he would have been better prepared for the POs

but even that notwithstanding
the fact they went without him and failed, miserably, establishes they should have listened to bern and played Rempe
we now know for a fact it could not have been worse.

Is

that

slow

enuf

for you?

Calm down. I realize I destroyed your whole argument but that's ok.

It's not the first time and won't be the last.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I like McGroarty but this might be an issue and hopefully can improve

"Lacks high-end speed and needs to improve his overall skating. He has the size, strength, and leadership qualities to go along with the scoring ability and hockey IQ to develop into a reliable two-way top-six multi-category fantasy option that will contribute to both the powerplay and penalty kill."

Rangers should definitely inquire about him.

Would this be fair Kakko or 30th overall to Jets for McGroarty (signs after trade to NYR)

So he's on par with almost every other player we've drafted over the last decade.

Looking at Winnipeg's pool, they're in bit of a no-man's land. They don't have the quality on the roster to be a legitimate contender, especially if they lose a couple key UFAs this year, but they also have enough to make the playoffs.

That core is getting to 30+ quick, so they need their prospects to be ready to go. They're going to be betting on Perfetti taking a step.

If they're committed to making it work with Schiefele and Hellebuyck, I don't know if Kakko+ is enticing enough given what they need, which I would argue is a d-man.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
So he's on par with almost every other player we've drafted over the last decade.

Looking at Winnipeg's pool, they're in bit of a no-man's land. They don't have the quality on the roster to be a legitimate contender, especially if they lose a couple key UFAs this year, but they also have enough to make the playoffs.

That core is getting to 30+ quick, so they need their prospects to be ready to go. They're going to be betting on Perfetti taking a step.

If they're committed to making it work with Schiefele and Hellebuyck, I don't know if Kakko+ is enticing enough given what they need, which I would argue is a d-man.

Let me introduce Ryan Lindgren to Winnipeg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad